reliable online public forum

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
looking

reliable online public forum

Post by looking » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 am

hello BH

Which one is the most reliable, trustworthy, reputable online public forum on a general wide variety of issues, such as, health, retirement, living, business, medical, divorce, and family so on?

best wishes

denovo

Re: reliable online public forum

Post by denovo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 am

Doesn't exist.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:44 am

looking wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:39 am
hello BH

Which one is the most reliable, trustworthy, reputable online public forum on a general wide variety of issues, such as, health, retirement, living, business, medical, divorce, and family so on?

best wishes
You've come to the right place.
Also suggestions on roofing, emergency home power systems, toilet leaks, car buying help, and more. . . . as well as investment finance.
j :D

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 am

You mean which one is the least unreliable? This one seems reasonable enough to me, but it's still anonymous advice offered for free by random strangers without 'skin in the game' when in comes to caring about your specific situation.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:44 am
looking wrote:
hello BH

best wishes
Also suggestions on roofing, emergency home power systems, toilet leaks, car buying help, and more. . . . as well as investment finance.
Umm, not totally correct.
Medical and relationship issues are basically off topic here and will be locked.
And other "general comment" threads are also not allowed; there needs to be a personal connection with the topic that involves spending time or money.

There are a few exceptions: movies, TV shows, books read.

But Bogleheads is the best for the topics that are allowed...
Attempted new signature...

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:13 am

looking wrote:
What does "reliable" mean to you in this context?
What about "trustworthy"?
And "reputable"?

For example, could a forum that yields radically different responses to the same question ever possibly be considered "reliable" or "trustworthy" in any real sense?
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 am

Reddit.com and it’s variety of subReddits will cover all of those topics.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:01 am

Reddit.com
Hear the clock ticking? That’s your life flying by while you listen to market pundits and watch stock prices fluctuate. -Humble Dollar

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:05 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:13 am
Reliable means "at least one poster says what I want to hear and validates my pre-existing beliefs" :twisted:

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:31 am

Liberty1100 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:53 am
Whoosh

Don't you find the crazies there? I have dabbled a little and found the viewpoints to be ... Extreme?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:55 am

Valuethinker wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:31 am
Liberty1100 wrote:
Whoosh

Don't you find the crazies there? I have dabbled a little and found the viewpoints to be ... Extreme?
It's moderate compared to Twitter ;)
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:51 am

The Wizard wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:44 am
looking wrote:
hello BH

best wishes
Umm, not totally correct.
Medical and relationship issues are basically off topic here and will be locked.
And other "general comment" threads are also not allowed; there needs to be a personal connection with the topic that involves spending time or money.

There are a few exceptions: movies, TV shows, books read.

But Bogleheads is the best for the topics that are allowed...
+1
Well said. You're right.
OP should refer to: Personal allowable issues with actionable queries and responses per forum guidelines.
aloha :D
j

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:55 am

The only reliable source is an official source. O.k., even an official source can be incorrect at times, but that's about as reliable as one can hope for.

When I taught income tax classes, I told my students to not mention any tax "advice" from popular online sources unless they could also find the same advice from tax laws, regulations and/or IRS publications.

That rule reduced a lot of unsubstantiated talks.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:40 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:55 am
The only reliable source is an official source. O.k., even an official source can be incorrect at times, but that's about as reliable as one can hope for...
In a related frame of mind, I find that targeted forums work better for some things.
Two examples that I've used:

Avsforum.com for audio visual equipment including big screen TVs. It may be overkill nowadays for average consumers now that HDTVs are commonplace and lower priced.

F150forum.com for buying a Ford pick-up truck. I got some good ideas prior the doing a factory order of my 2016 truck.

I don't frequent either of those forums presently...
Attempted new signature...

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:50 am

looking wrote:
hello BH
best wishes
www.nutritionfacts.org

Post by 2015 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm

AlohaJoe wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:05 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Reliable means "at least one poster says what I want to hear and validates my pre-existing beliefs" :twisted:
Actually, the most excellent work of the moderators is what makes this forum reliable for me. I also find running into information counter to my pre-existing beliefs to be another of the most valuable aspects of this forum. I may find some of the dancing on the head of a pin disagreements to be tedious, but that's because I only because they force me to think through my own assumptions.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Perhaps I notice it more, but regarding health/medical - in my opinion, so many blogs, posts, advertising, etc. on the internet is bad (or dangerous).

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:21 pm

2015 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:03 pm
AlohaJoe wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:05 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Actually, the most excellent work of the moderators is what makes this forum reliable for me. I also find running into information counter to my pre-existing beliefs to be another of the most valuable aspects of this forum. I may find some of the dancing on the head of a pin disagreements to be tedious, but that's because I only because they force me to think through my own assumptions.
Since the OP hasn't answered, what do you mean by "reliable" in this context? What about the moderators' work makes it reliable?

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:13 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:31 am
Liberty1100 wrote:
Whoosh

In general, I find the advice about seeking out targeted forums for specific topics more helpful than trying to find a one-forum-fits-all-topics. A sub-reddit dedicated to a topic can sometimes be appropriate. However, every sub-reddit is different. Moderation is by a mix of the members and volunteer moderators. Some are pretty good as a result of the efforts of those members. Others are a mess.

As always, take the input of strangers on the internet with a grain of salt, and if it's an important topic like medical or legal advice, you really should seriously consider consulting a formally trained and accredited professional.

UniversityEmployee9

Post by UniversityEmployee9 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:52 pm

dm200 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:50 am
looking wrote:
hello BH
best wishes
www.nutritionfacts.org
For full transparency, this website is run by an animal rights activist. It "just so happens" that he tells people the vegan diet is the healthiest diet. Go figure.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm

Liberty1100 wrote:
Doesn't mean they are reliable or good which is what OP wanted. Each subreddit has its own culture and moderation teams. Even on reddit, the /r/relationships subreddit is a butt of jokes for its absurd advice. I'd say /r/personal finance and /r/fitness are good on their respective subjects, but it's really hit or miss on the site as a whole.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

boglegirl

Post by boglegirl » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:32 pm

UniversityEmployee9 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:52 pm
dm200 wrote:
looking wrote:
hello BH
best wishes
www.nutritionfacts.org
For full transparency, this website is run by an animal rights activist. It "just so happens" that he tells people the vegan diet is the healthiest diet. Go figure.
I like most of Dr. Greger's advice although I'm not a vegan. Most of his suggestions are supported by evidence. BUT he does sometimes make big logical leaps which aren't really supported. For example, on one of his more recent podcast episodes he gave the following:
1. "Condition A" can be caused by e coli.
2. People who handle/prepare raw chicken in their home kitchens have measurable e coli on many surfaces in their kitchen.
3. Don't eat chicken!
Never did he say that people who live in homes where raw chicken is cooked have a higher rate of Condition A, I'm guessing because the research didn't show that. Grrr... it annoyed me and made me want to eat chicken.

For me, his advice about eating lots of fruit & veg and nuts and whole grains has helped me lose weight and feel healthier (with yogurt, eggs, and chicken thrown in also). But I take what he says with some skepticism, because as some others have mentioned, "realiable" is in the eye of the beholder.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 pm

UniversityEmployee9 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:52 pm
dm200 wrote:
looking wrote:
hello BH
best wishes
www.nutritionfacts.org
I do not agree. I have never seen anything from Dr Greger advocating diet based on "animal rights".

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:30 pm

looking wrote:
hello BH

best wishes
looking, could you please respond to some of the threads where others have tried to help you?

We don't have any other way of knowing if we are being helpful or if we've missed something about what you are asking, and we could thus offer something more specific, etc.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:21 pm

The question is too vague for a clear answer. There's no point to continue. This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.