Worth seeing comedian live if already saw their Netflix special?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jastevenson

Worth seeing comedian live if already saw their Netflix special?

Post by jastevenson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am

Tom Segura is a comedian that I like, and have watched all 3 of his Netflix comedy specials. He's coming to town in a couple of months, so was considering going.

Is there any good reason to see a comedian live if you've already seen their Netflix special? Not sure how much of a comedian's show is new material versus just a repeat of their existing material.

wd123

Re: Worth seeing comedian live if already saw their Netflix special?

Post by wd123 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:14 pm

I saw all of Jeff Dunham's specials and still saw him live several times.

If it's the current tours special you're probably going to get 75% repeat.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:30 pm

jastevenson wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am
Tom Segura is a comedian that I like, and have watched all 3 of his Netflix comedy specials. He's coming to town in a couple of months, so was considering going.

Is there any good reason to see a comedian live if you've already seen their Netflix special? Not sure how much of a comedian's show is new material versus just a repeat of their existing material.
if you are a fan, then yes, you see who you like in person.
you sound like someone who does better with netflix...

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Yeah with some exceptions I don't think there is much difference to the in-person experience. Maybe if they're really dynamic (Steve Martin 40 years ago?) or some intimate venue where you're 10 feet from the comedian. But not an auditorium or theater IMO. Different from, say, a sporting event where even in bad seats the experience is different (not necessarily better).

How long has the most recent Netflix special been on? It could be a whole different show--try to find some discussion about this online.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:02 pm

It is important to find out if he has all new material or if it is basically the same show and material. If it is mostly the same material, the live experience of bits you already heard and laughed at would not be good or worth the cost.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:19 pm

I used to watch Seinfeld reruns and still laugh even though I knew what jokes were going to be said. YMMV.
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:31 pm

jastevenson wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am

If any of the specials were from the last few months you'll probably get a lot of recycled jokes. But most comedians are smart. They usually post the netflix special after the end of the tour to avoid that issue.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

dbforbes

Post by dbforbes » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:05 pm

If you like what you see from a comic on television I wholeheartedly encourage you to see the comic live. Having been fans of standup comics for years, my wife and I visit the local comedy club often but at least for comics we enjoy. It is virtually always far better seeing them live, especially if you pay the extra $5-10 per ticket to sit in the first couple of rows. And the MCs and openers tend to be very funny too and are often up-and-comers. You might get the opportinity to see and interact with one of the next greats! The headliner usually picks undercard comics with a similar type of humor, so, for example, if you came for blue humor, you'll get your money's worth of it. Same for other types of humor. Pay attention to the type of comic who will be headlining as he or she may not be for you; if you are paying for family humor and the comic is known for political or other types of humor, you might bot get what you want. Regardless, it is certainly a better expenditure than another forgettable routine visit to a bar or restaurant with friends, and might cost less. Our friends agree and we still laugh about comics we've watched in the past. I also recommend for dates as I've found that the comedy club is great for first dates as the good feelings your group gets from a couple of hours of being made to laugh by professionals translates to your date's positive opinion of you as a date. Worked with me and my wife! It is, however, a lot easier if you live and/or work near a good comedy club, though, as some are far superior to others. I do not own or have any business interests in comedy clubs, though after reading what I've just written, perhaps I should. Enjoy!

Oblivious

Post by Oblivious » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Worth it. Usually whatever jokes were on a netflix special get retired and they're working on new material for the next special.
If anything the next netflix specials kind of get ruined, because I already heard the jokes live.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:18 pm

I’ve seen most (if not all) of Bill Engvall’s DVD releases, and have seen him in person twice. There was more than enough new material in the live shows to make them both worthwhile.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:05 am

We saw Ali Wong's first netflix special and decided to see her live. It was new material (which is now on netflix as well), but we didn't find it as funny, irregardless of the method of viewing. To me, the live show is more about the ambiance, crowd, etc., which we're indifferent to, or can be less enjoyable with hecklers, poor view (can't easily see comedian's facial expressions and gestures which can add to the joke), etc. We're fine with the comfort of our own home and tv . In the future, we'll likely be more hesitant, but comedy shows just aren't our thing anyway.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am

fasteddie911 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:05 am
We saw Ali Wong's first netflix special and decided to see her live. It was new material (which is now on netflix as well), but we didn't find it as funny, irregardless of the method of viewing. To me, the live show is more about the ambiance, crowd, etc., which we're indifferent to, or can be less enjoyable with hecklers, poor view (can't easily see comedian's facial expressions and gestures which can add to the joke), etc. We're fine with the comfort of our own home and tv . In the future, we'll likely be more hesitant, but comedy shows just aren't our thing anyway.
I've seen a handful of comedians live that I had previously seen on TV (whether it be DVD, Netflix, whatever). Can't really comment on whether the material was recycled, but this is pretty much my take, none of them were "better" live than they were on video and some were drastically worse (in particular, Dave Chappelle was really bad). Never was the experience, for me, better than just watching it at home. It really depends on how much you value the ambiance.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:21 am

I have taken over a dozen improv classes, about ten of which were at the same level with the same instructor. I am having fun in the class even though I know all games, all scenes, and the likeliest public suggestions. In my opinion, physical interactions are always much more rewarding than screen time.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

drk

Post by drk » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:32 am

It depends on the comedian and on how much intrinsic value you get out of being there. It's also likely that the comedian will be doing different material than their special, perhaps honing new material for the next special.

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 am

Yes. Most of the time comedians abandon their "Netflix material" shortly after release, immediately working on new material. Plus, seeing a show live is an experience in itself, as laughter is truly contagious.

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:48 pm

I've been a fan of Bob Newhart since I was a little kid (in the 60's). Many of his jokes/routines are older than me.

I'm really glad that I got to see him live twice in the past 10 years. He won't be doing this forever.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:54 pm

OT, but an opportunity to brag that on Monday I will attend a taping by a TV network EPIX for a new stand-up comedy series, https://www.dcimprov.com/home/tv-taping.html .

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:27 am

I've never been to a comedy show, but I was under the impression that after a comedian releases a comedy special the jokes aren't typically used again.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 am

It really depends on the comedian. I went to two shows in one week and then another one during a subsequent tour for one comedian and they were all very similar, even the one from the next tour. I went to two shows for another comedian and they were very different. The seats for the live shows affected my experience more than I thought it would. I was at the Chicago Theater for the two live shows in a week. The first one was near the back and I had a nice enough time but had trouble hearing some jokes. I was within the first 10 rows for the second show and it was like night and day. It felt like a completely different atmosphere and much more enjoyable.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:00 am

goodlifer wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:38 am
I was at the Chicago Theater for the two live shows in a week. The first one was near the back and I had a nice enough time but had trouble hearing some jokes. I was within the first 10 rows for the second show and it was like night and day. It felt like a completely different atmosphere and much more enjoyable.
This was the same experience for me too at the Chicago Theater! I saw one comedian and could not understand much when I was seated towards the back. All I heard was like the charlie brown "wha-wha-wha" and then the crowd laughing... probably didn't help that the comedian tended to shout a lot which distorted things even more. Then I saw another comedian up closer and totally better experience.

Anyway, to go back to the original question... I would go watch a comedian live if you like the comedian. It's a different experience than watching on tv.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:56 pm

I'm not a big show goer, prefering my comfy living room. But I really regret not seeing John Pinette when he performed near me years ago. Loved him and even though I bought his "I'm Starvin" DVD, it would have been great to see him in person. He's since passed away - much too young. :(