Foscam Security Camera ( wire-free/IP )

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kashoor

Foscam Security Camera ( wire-free/IP )

Post by Kashoor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 am

Arlo is simply not a serious security device, because Netgear doesn't treat it like one. All the budget seems to be in marketing a slick looking product but the developers seem to have just quit on it. When there is an issue on their end (like, the system being down) you are the last one to know. They also won't notify you that your firmware needs updating or if there is some other issue that is some other issue causing it not to work. It's all so haphazard, random, and definitely not secure. I frequently experience issues where I walk past a cam (any one of my now 5 cameras) and it doesn't go off. Sometimes it's the app, sometimes it's the cam, or base station. Arlo feels like an old car in that something is always going wrong and it's a stressful feeling. Nothing like being on the other side of the country and finding out your security system randomly went offline.

Now i am looking for Foscam E1. Anyone here have the Foscam camera ? please share your experience.

i will be very thankful to you.

killjoy2012

Re: Foscam Security Camera ( wire-free/IP )

Post by killjoy2012 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:53 pm

I think most people that have worked with residential security cameras would tell you to avoid Foscam as well. In the world of cheap Chinese security cameras, the two companies you should probably be looking at are Dahua and Hikvision. That said, also beware that most of these Chinese cameras have firmware that are backdoored, so you need to be very careful on how you set them up -- they really should NOT have access to your LAN or Internet, but only used on an isolated network.

A quick google will show you the US gov't just banned both brands from being used at gov't facilities due to this concern.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Take a look at Wyze Cam at www.wyzecam.com and/or Amazon. Not sure that it has exactly the functionality that you're after but it works very well as a basic security camera for us and is cheap. I started with one just to play with it and now have three.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:25 pm

I just bought a Vimtag B3-S outdoor camera based on reviews on Amazon.

I like it a lot. 1080p video during the day is awesome. LOL.

I have it set up to record continuously to its internal micro SD card (128 GB max),
but it has the capability to record to its own server box which I did not buy.

I bought it to learn with.

I'd give the ease of setup a grade of A-.

Edit:
This Vimtag is both wifi and wired. I have it set up on wifi.
It requires AC power.

Last edited by go_mets on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:54 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:15 pm
Take a look at Wyze Cam at www.wyzecam.com and/or Amazon. Not sure that it has exactly the functionality that you're after but it works very well as a basic security camera for us and is cheap. I started with one just to play with it and now have three.
I have two Wyzecams as well and like them. Alas, they are not wirefree. I have been looking for good outdoor suitable wirefree solutions and might get the Arlo when I find time to actually thinker with them. D-Link actually announced a competing product (DCS-2802KT - who on earth comes up with these ridiculous product names?!) that looks very interesting. Alas, the product page appears to have disappeared from their website and Q2 has come and gone and it hasn’t been released (yet?).

https://mysmahome.com/product/43896/pro ... cs-2802kt/

bampf

Post by bampf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:22 pm

I have used foscam, samsung, a couple of others. All ended up being crap in the long run. I am pretty much a nest cam fan boy right now. About ten minutes to set up, brilliant. Have several and will have several more. Quite good.