Should I pay 6000.00 to repair wife's car....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rebellovw

Should I pay 6000.00 to repair wife's car....

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Hey folks,

You are always very reasonable. I'm not going to go into make/model details until I hear back from the Manufacturer.

Here goes - my wifes car is a 2010 model that she absolutely loves. Beautiful color - exactly everything she wanted and makes her happy to this very day.
- two big issues:
1) 700.00
2) 5000.00

Car is at dealer and I have a case open with the manufacturer (they recommended the dealer to take it to.) The Regional Rep is suppose to call me regarding what they will help me with - they want to make me happy - but so far the Service Mgr told me they rejected item 1.

Both issues need to be addressed.

Car is in perfect condition otherwise - always garaged - never in an accident - looks like it did the day we bought it. And it only has 14K miles on it.

I have the cash and can do it. Sure I could use that 6000 and purchase a new car - I'm not sure the trade in I'll get on my current car with the two issues it has. These issues were not a result of our use. In fact there is a Service bulliten on Item 1 - but the bulliten doesn't cover our year - Service Manager cannot beleive it but his hands are tied. He is also in agreement that these two issues should not have occured and are not from our use. I kick myself because item 1 was always an issue that has got progressively worse - I should of had it fixed under warranty. I regret that.

Going back to buying a new car - tax alone would be close to that figure (I just bought a 40K car and the tax/license was 5k) - not to mention the MSRP (likely minus 5K).

This car can easially last us several more years because otherwise it is perfect - and we are the original owners. She has no commute and in fact is pretty much retired. She may start working - but the work location is fairly close by.

I think I should just fix this and get her back her car. And I should not mention this to her as she would be against me fixing it - but she certainly deserves it - we could probably fix item 1 - but item 2 could come back to bite us.

Thoughts?

Thanks as always.

dm200

Re: Should I pay 6000.00 to repair wife's car....

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm
Hey folks,
You are always very reasonable. I'm not going to go into make/model details until I hear back from the Manufacturer.
Here goes - my wifes car is a 2010 model that she absolutely loves. Beautiful color - exactly everything she wanted and makes her happy to this very day.
- two big issues:
1) 700.00
2) 5000.00
Car is at dealer and I have a case open with the manufacturer (they recommended the dealer to take it to.) The Regional Rep is suppose to call me regarding what they will help me with - they want to make me happy - but so far the Service Mgr told me they rejected item 1.
Car is in perfect condition otherwise - always garaged - never in an accident - looks like it did the day we bought it. And it only has 14K miles on it.
I have the cash and can do it. Sure I could use that 6000 and purchase a new car - I'm not sure the trade in I'll get on my current car with the two issues it has. These issues were not a result of our use. In fact there is a Service bulliten on Item 1 - but the bulliten doesn't cover our year - Service Manager cannot beleive it but his hands are tied. He is also in agreement that these two issues should not have occured and are not from our use. I kick myself because item 1 was always an issue that has got progressively worse - I should of had it fixed under warranty. I regret that.
Going back to buying a new car - tax alone would be close to that figure (I just bought a 40K car and the tax/license was 5k) - not to mention the MSRP (likely minus 5K).
This car can easially last us several more years because otherwise it is perfect - and we are the original owners. She has no commute and in fact is pretty much retired. She may start working - but the work location is fairly close by.
I think I should just fix this and get her back her car. And I should not mention this to her as she would be against me fixing it - but she certainly deserves it - we could probably fix item 1 - but item 2 could come back to bite us.
Thoughts?
Thanks as always.
If she loves the car this much, why would she be against fixing it?

Why not leave the decision to her?

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm

If the car has less than 50K miles, I would fix it.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Goodness, a 7-8 year old vehicle with 14,000 miles?

Sell the car, and get her the Uber Ridesharing and/or Lyft Ridesharing APPs.

Her usage is so low, probably even using taxis would save money, considering even with low mileage vehicles must be insured.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:22 pm

Repair it maybe, but probably not at the dealer. For a car that age, check Yelp or Angie's List or your friends and neighbors for good independent repair shops in your area. You can probably get it good as new for half the dealer quote.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:34 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:15 pm
If she loves the car this much, why would she be against fixing it?

Why not leave the decision to her?
Because she is frugal - very modest. But I know this has been bugging her for the longest time. We have had the 5K issue for about 3 years and she brings it up every month - worries her. She would be very much against spending that on her self.

The car is her toy and her first new car - I can remember the day we bought it - she was so excited.

Now that I think about it - I really haven't bought her anyting nice in several years. And we could recover the $$ in about 1-2 months - here is what we normally auto deposit:
monthly:
Ally 1200.00 X 1
Ally 350 X 2
Fid 500 X 1
Fid 700 X 2

Thanks!

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:39 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:22 pm
Repair it maybe, but probably not at the dealer. For a car that age, check Yelp or Angie's List or your friends and neighbors for good independent repair shops in your area. You can probably get it good as new for half the dealer quote.
The goal of the Manufacturer, though they were up front about not covering anyting due to the age, was to make sure it was fixed once and for all and I'm happy.

Now I did take item 2 (5K) to a local body shop that was recommended by various town mechanics. They spot welded the break - and charged me 250. It was fixed for about 1 month - then snapped again - they did a terrible job fixing it. They would not do anyting further on it (and I wouldn't want them to.)

I could try my local mech for item 1 - but that would only likely save me a 100 - 200 maybe.

I'm hoping the Manufacturer will do something besides tell me to pound sand and appologize. We will see.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Her usage is so low, probably even using taxis would save money, considering even with low mileage vehicles must be insured.

Broken Man 1999

It is her toy - something she is proud of.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:42 pm

rgs92 wrote:
If the car has less than 50K miles, I would fix it.
Thanks - that is what I'm thinking - I'm pretty much decided. I'm at the acceptance stage.

chevca

Post by chevca » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 pm

What are the issues... why so secretive? If it's a safety concern, probably not worth fixing. Otherwise, $6k is certainly less than any new car out there. If it's her baby and she loves it, and with low miles like that, get the issues fixed and move on with life.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Why can't you just spell out what's wrong with the car?

You had the $5000 problem welded but it broke again? What comes to mind is that your wife is driving a Ford Raptor and decided to go for some Youtube type jumps and you broke the frame like all the yahoos do who make youtube videos.

Clearly not an engine or transmission issue because welding wouldn't fix anything that I can think of.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:50 pm

chevca wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:45 pm
What are the issues... why so secretive?
Agreed, it's strange that more detail isn't provided. Most vehicular problems are nothing to be ashamed of. Does the car randomly kill puppies or something?

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:50 pm

chevca wrote:
What are the issues... why so secretive? If it's a safety concern, probably not worth fixing. Otherwise, $6k is certainly less than any new car out there. If it's her baby and she loves it, and with low miles like that, get the issues fixed and move on with life.
Here are the issues:
1) Ignition key sticks on locking mech. Very scary- you have to wiggle the key/steering wheel exactly right to allow it to turn. My key will not even turn. Could really leave you high and dry (we are in Az)
2) Door check strap broke due to thin metal on door where hidge attached. With it broken the door can swing completely into front 1/4 panel. You have to be very conscience of it when you open the door (not let go - check for wind) - especially in our driveway which is a steep downward slope. I'd be bummed if I forgot and it swung and ripped into the 1/4 panel.

Yep - will get fixed and move on.

Thanks.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

I might of missed it, what's the Make and model?

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm

5 grand for a door check? Doesn't add up unless perhaps you bought her a Bugatti.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm

Secretive regarding the Manufacturer - because when I first heard - was extremely angry and wanted to join Facebook to rage and post negatively on their public page - and even send a tweet (yeah tweet - that sounds tough :)) - though I wanted advice from you folks - if that would simply be a bad idea. I don't think it is worth it at this point. I wanted to file a BBB complaint but the car is too old.

Anyhow - I'm not going to bring up the Manufacturer until I completely hear back from them - keeping fingers crossed they will make this less painful.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:40 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:

Broken Man 1999

It is her toy - something she is proud of.
Well, then I would certainly find a way to fix it if she loves it that much. At least you can be sure she will continue to be frugal in the auto portion of her needs.

I might even try to tempt her with a nice, new car, one with updated safety features and all. If you ordered direct from factory, she could get all her whistles and bells, and have a safer car to boot. Nice way to acknowledge her being so frugal, splurging on a car built specifically for her!

My first car was ordered from Ford, but it was my "Chariot of Fire", a Ford Pinto. Still, getting exactly what I wanted was a nice thing. Dollar for dollars, probably the best car I ever purchased.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:54 pm
5 grand for a door check? Doesn't add up unless perhaps you bought her a Bugatti.
I paid 250 for the first fix a couple years back - that was to weld it back onto the door - that broke again.

Apparently the new Body Shop (Dealers) has found it is broken on both ends. So the 5K includes:
- new door
- remove front end of car - to get to the area where it is broken by the Apiller.
- paint etc.

Even the 250.00 body shop I took it to a few years ago wanted to replace the door - even have me file an insurance claim - but I felt that was dishonest (it broke because of the car - not because of some accident.) I didn't want a new door since the factory paint and the old door was so perfect. Replacement doors can be crap compared to factory.

it would be a cheaper fix if broken only on the door - but now that both ends are broke - it is major.

Thanks,

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm

I have heard of manufacturers reimbursing the dealers to to make the repairs in cases like yours that are technically out of warranty, but which still clearly should not be occurring. 14,000 miles but out of warranty due to years elapsed seems like one of those cases.

I don't know how those who successfully got full or partial coverage for these out of warranty but still clearly premature issues went about it - if they only talked to the dealer, or contacted the manufacturer directly and if so through what channel. Maybe somebody on the boards has and will eventually weigh in.

But if you can wait a few weeks to keep looking for any such avenues to pursue or keep leaning on the dealer to convince the manufacturer they should fix the lemon they sold you, that's what I'd do.

I do know this - if I had this experience, and was certain I hadn't abused the car, the only way I would buy from that manufacturer again, and probably from that dealer (if they sell multiple brands), is if at least the bigger issue gets fixed on their dime. And I'd make sure both parties know this. I view it as giving both of them, primarily the manufacturer, a final chance to prove they stand by their product. I might be willing to accept a significantly lower negotiated price.

I just saw an updated post that suggests this is a structural issue. Crazy. I'm a little curious how they planned to repair it. In the unibody designs that most modern cars use, this can be pretty complicated. I can imagine most body shops are not capable of making such repairs, but if you ask around, you might find somebody with a lot better plan than welding it up and assuming that even though nothing significant has changed that it won't fail again like the first shop did.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:10 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Apparently the new Body Shop (Dealers) has found it is broken on both ends. So the 5K includes:
- new door
- remove front end of car - to get to the area where it is broken by the Apiller.
- paint etc.

Have you thought about trying to get a door from a salvage yard? Don't know if that is practical due to the labor involved.

PrettyCoolWorkshop

Post by PrettyCoolWorkshop » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:12 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:50 pm
chevca wrote:
Here are the issues:
1) Ignition key sticks on locking mech. Very scary- you have to wiggle the key/steering wheel exactly right to allow it to turn. My key will not even turn. Could really leave you high and dry (we are in Az)
2) Door check strap broke due to thin metal on door where hidge attached. With it broken the door can swing completely into front 1/4 panel. You have to be very conscience of it when you open the door (not let go - check for wind) - especially in our driveway which is a steep downward slope. I'd be bummed if I forgot and it swung and ripped into the 1/4 panel.

Yep - will get fixed and move on.

Thanks.
I would fix the key issue but not the door issue. Paying that much to fix the door issue is just throwing money at nothing. If you really wanted, it would be pretty easy to jury-rig a short length of rope that attaches to your door and somewhere discrete in the cabin, and would not be obtrusive.
Last edited by PrettyCoolWorkshop on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of these days, I'll make a really cool financial calculator thingy. And I'll share a link to it in this signature!

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:15 pm

I'm a pretty radical do it yourselfer and would certainly consider both of these issues to tell me that the car is from a crap manufacturer. I'm guessing either GM or Dodge.

Anyways, what *I* would do for the doors is to buy stop straps meant for a hot rod or kit car. This is an easy, pretty no brains solution for the mechanic. He'd need to drill some holes and pull the door panels to access the inside where the nuts are going to go, but this will permanently solve the problem. If the mechanic doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about, have him look at the Factory Five Roadster build manual for the stop strap. Heck, you could buy the thing from Factory Five and have someone install it. I had one of those cars and you could hang the entire car from a tree with these straps. I can't see this solution costing more than $100 including labor. It's not an hour's worth of work in total. Here's a link to a picture within one of the FFR forums. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthr ... p-hardware

For the ignition key problem, I'd do one of two things. The first thing I'd try is to replace the entire key cylinder with a replacement. If you can't find this as a new replacement part, personally, I'd go to a junk yard. If there's a chip that needs to be read, use one of your keys, hung from the key chain and then use the key that comes with the new cylinder to mechanically turn the ignition switch.

The second thing, if that's not possible for some reason would be to pull the entire steering wheel and column from a junkyard car and fit it in.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks Buzz, I'mlucky13

I'm also constrained based on my location - Prescott AZ.

I called the Flagstaff Dealer - and spoke with their Service Mgr - regarding the checkstrap - "I've never heard of that problem - never seen it".

The car was still under the stupid "extended warranty we bought" and they wouldn't cover it - "that type of issue is not covered" - [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] - never buy an extended warranty that is not from the Manufacturer - lesson learned!

So when the Flagstaff dealer said - never heard of it - I immediately called Oakland CA Dealer - spoke with their service mgr - he said "Yeah - we see this all the time - i send them over to my body shop and they fix it right up" I should have driven to Oakland that day.

Anyhow - I had the body shop near by fix it- and I guess because of their fix- the other side broke as well - so it was also a bad move.

Also there are lots of "manufacturer forums" with pages on the issues (both) - that I raise to local dealers - and I just get a glassy eye'd stare back.

The latest dealer in Scottsdale - said - I've seen the door issue - but not your model year :oops:

Come on really? He said - there is a service bulliten for item 1 - but not on my year - and also the broken door thing - but not on my year. The good thing he has said - is that it is BS and wasn't caused by us.

Certainly would never buy from this Manufactuer again - did I mention - I bought 5 of their cars over the years - 3 new from dealers?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

The stop strap idea is brilliant.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Spending $6000 for an 8 year old car is not economical to me. It shows that your car is not very reliable. I would replace it with a more reliable brand.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:15 pm
I'm a pretty radical do it yourselfer and would certainly consider both of these issues to tell me that the car is from a crap manufacturer. I'm guessing either GM or Dodge.

Anyways, what *I* would do for the doors is to buy stop straps meant for a hot rod or kit car. This is an easy, pretty no brains solution for the mechanic. He'd need to drill some holes and pull the door panels to access the inside where the nuts are going to go, but this will permanently solve the problem. If the mechanic doesn't know what the heck I'm talking about, have him look at the Factory Five Roadster build manual for the stop strap. Heck, you could buy the thing from Factory Five and have someone install it. I had one of those cars and you could hang the entire car from a tree with these straps. I can't see this solution costing more than $100 including labor. It's not an hour's worth of work in total. Here's a link to a picture within one of the FFR forums. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthr ... p-hardware

For the ignition key problem, I'd do one of two things. The first thing I'd try is to replace the entire key cylinder with a replacement. If you can't find this as a new replacement part, personally, I'd go to a junk yard. If there's a chip that needs to be read, use one of your keys, hung from the key chain and then use the key that comes with the new cylinder to mechanically turn the ignition switch.

The second thing, if that's not possible for some reason would be to pull the entire steering wheel and column from a junkyard car and fit it in.
yeah - I looked into buying some aluminum plates - to cut into sandwich pieces - and fabricate a new hindge on the door - but now that the otherside is broken - I'm pretty screwed.

I'll take a look at your links.

Thanks Jack.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:37 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm
Secretive regarding the Manufacturer - because when I first heard - was extremely angry and wanted to join Facebook to rage and post negatively on their public page - and even send a tweet (yeah tweet - that sounds tough :)) - though I wanted advice from you folks - if that would simply be a bad idea. I don't think it is worth it at this point. I wanted to file a BBB complaint but the car is too old.

Anyhow - I'm not going to bring up the Manufacturer until I completely hear back from them - keeping fingers crossed they will make this less painful.

I don't think the manufacturer is scanning Bogleheads and going to decide whether to compensate you based on what you post here. Also, you said there's multiple pages on this topic on the forum for this car so it's not exactly top-secret.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Without the make / model any advice you get here is useless, imho. We could be talking of a Mercedes or a 73 Pinto!

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm

denovo wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:37 pm
rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 pm

I don't think the manufacturer is scanning Bogleheads and going to decide whether to compensate you based on what you post here. Also, you said there's multiple pages on this topic on the forum for this car so it's not exactly top-secret.
I know - I'm being superstitious - I don't want to jinx the response I'm awaiting.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:40 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:39 pm
Without the make / model any advice you get here is useless, imho. We could be talking of a Mercedes or a 73 Pinto!
+1

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Personally, I would fix the door with the $250 fix you did last time, potentially fix the ignition problem, and then sell the car to CarMax. As long as it holds out long enough to get through the inspection you should be fine. I would not spend $6000 to repair an 8 year old car. Then again, I'm one of those people who if you said "you can drive a 2010 Mercedes S600 or a 2018 Honda Accord" I'd take the 2018 Accord. I just prefer new over expensive when it comes to cars.

You can then take the money you get for the car plus the incremental $5000 you didn't spend repairing it and get a late model used car.

The car may be your wife's baby, but if she's driving it less than 2000 miles a year that means she's in it likely less than an hour a week. It's just silly to put that much attachment to something you spend so little time with.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 pm

I am not familiar with door check but since it is not a mechanical issue I would try to keep the car. Have you tried to get a second opinion from a body shop? They must be able to jerry-rig something.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 pm

fix it, make wife happy, move on....

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 pm

This might be one of the strangest threads I've read. :wink:

Is this a Tesla or some car with doors that open different? I'm so confused. But then, I confuse easily.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Ok - I have called around - local body shops and was recommended a fabrication place. I called and spoke with them - and he chocked when I said 5K - "He'?? - I could fabricate nylon strap for 49.00" - so I'm thinking with a 5K budget - he should be able to come in under - that is if he can fix it - he said he'd have to look.

I also have a call to my Tech that does all the maintenance on our cars - they can do Item 1. They even said the Fabrication shop I mentioned was excellent - they use them.

I'm mean - 6K - I could likely get a super charger installed for that.

Or I can simply say to the dealer - do it - and pick up the car fixed in a couple of weeks for 6K.

i'll think more on it.

Also note:
- From my investigation - a new door doesn't solve the underlying problem - thin sheetmetal at the point of the hinge. So it could break again. In fact it could break anytime on the passenger side.

- Also - the ignition key fix - can simply come back - which has also been reported.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:16 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Is this a Tesla or some car with doors that open different? I'm so confused. But then, I confuse easily.
Nope - nothing fancy. In fact - you can go to any junk yard - and try to open a car door - 50 year old car - and its check strap would be fully functioning. I've never had a car do this. I'm sure the ignition key would easily turn as well.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Here's a radical idea - sell the car and buy your wife a new toy. I'd also encourage her to drive this one a little more.

3funder

Post by 3funder » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:23 pm

I would not spend $6,000 to repair a vehicle. If I were worth $100,000,000 and the repair was on a $400,000 vehicle, that would be a different story (of course, I'd never purchase a $400,000 vehicle in the first place).

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:25 pm

$600,000 seems a little bit high to me. I'd try to negotiate it down some.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:39 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:16 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Nope - nothing fancy. In fact - you can go to any junk yard - and try to open a car door - 50 year old car - and its check strap would be fully functioning. I've never had a car do this. I'm sure the ignition key would easily turn as well.
Can the parts come from a salvage yard? Same year? For $5,000 they must be installing 4 new doors.

I would not fix unless there is a new part that won't do this. Is this a Toyota product?
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm

rebellovw - Can you please supply the make and model of the car? Otherwise, there's not much to go on and we can't help you further.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:52 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm
rebellovw - Can you please supply the make and model of the car? Otherwise, there's not much to go on and we can't help you further.
Sure - why not.

2010 VW New Beetle Convertible.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:52 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Sure - why not.

That car in excellent condition with 14,000 miles on KBB is worth at maximum $9780 private sale. So no, I would not spend $6000 to repair the car. I also would lean on VW America to see what they can do to assist. They are likely hemorrhaging business and will do anything to keep someone from buying a non VW on their next car. I actually have had VW America help me get repairs done out of warranty at a dealer so you may succeed.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:59 pm

rebellovw wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
Sure - why not.

Lol, sell the car. VW's are a disaster when they get older.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:06 pm

I would not pay that much. But I also can not picture a Beetle's door swinging open to be that much of a problem. It has been quite a while since I have been in one so maybe their doors are far more formidable than they used to be.

If I couldn't fix it to my satisfaction much more cheaply than that, I would try to help my wife lose her attachment to that particular car and move on.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:06 pm

rebellovw wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
Sure - why not.

They are really cute. I can see why your wife likes it.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:07 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 pm
rebellovw wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
Sure - why not.

That car in excellent condition with 14,000 miles on KBB is worth at maximum $9780 private sale. So no, I would not spend $6000 to repair the car. I also would lean on VW America to see what they can do to assist. They are likely hemorrhaging business and will do anything to keep someone from buying a non VW on their next car. I actually have had VW America help me get repairs done out of warranty at a dealer so you may succeed.
yeah - I just checked that - Trade in between 6 and 8K (Without the issues it currently has) - and private sale - 10K (again w/o these issues - and that is the high end).

So really the only sensible option is to have the local places bandaid it. Or live with it as is.

In the beginning of this thread I was sentimental - a hostage - pay 6K so your wife will be happy. I'm thinking it is simply wrong.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

rebellovw wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 pm
Hey folks,

- two big issues:
1) 700.00
2) 5000.00

Thoughts?

Thanks as always.
An auto w/14kmi. on it?
I suspect the dealer see's you as a whale's whale*(metaphor) in a car .......
Good luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm

aspirit wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:30 pm

An auto w/14kmi. on it?
I suspect the dealer see's you as a whale's whale*(metaphor) in a car .......
Good luck!

Do you mean he sees me as a "garage queen" collector?

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:44 pm

A few things to think about.
A Car a piece of machinery,
Lots of parts ,that is a mode of transportation
The emotional side....
It varies widely from owner to owner .
To some it is a love affair ,to others expendable machinery.
Don't know what is wrong with it or what stage of life you are in ,
but I would consider another vehicle.

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee