How to get 2nd number on smartphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
get_g0ing

How to get 2nd number on smartphone?

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi,

There are several Android apps that give you a second number. Can the community members recommend which app is most reliable?
I'm not looking for a monthly subscription service, either free or pay-go. This second number would be for occasional texts or calls where you don't want to share you main number (like calling a business and you don't want them to store your main number).

These are the apps that come up in my search, but I don't know if they are any good:

TextNow
TextFree
Sideline
Talkatone
WhatsCall
Sudo.
WhizKid

Re: How to get 2nd number on smartphone?

Post by WhizKid »

Did you try Google Voice?
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

GoDaddy.com offers a second line for only a few dollars a month.

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Google voice, free, with free calls to US and Canada, international calls for pennies! Along with text and other features it cant be beat, imho.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 pm Google voice!
WhizKid wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:00 pm Did you try Google Voice?
Yes, I had Google Hangouts app which could be used to make a call, but now the app only has SMS option.

One problem I ran into with GV, if you register on some sites using GV number it doesn't accept it.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 pm Google voice, free, with free calls to US and Canada, international calls for pennies! Along with text and other features it cant be beat, imho.
What Android app do you use to make GV calls?
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 pm Google voice, free, with free calls to US and Canada, international calls for pennies! Along with text and other features it cant be beat, imho.
I also don't think GV lets you take incoming calls. I thinks it just forward the incoming call to your actual number.
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

GV. I use the Hangouts Dialer app to make outgoing calls on my Android phone. Incoming calls are less frequent for me but I think it works fine via VoIP; I don’t fwd to my native cell number as I live outside the US. This serves as a free way for me to keep in touch with people in the US.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

ivk5 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 pm GV. I use the Hangouts Dialer app to make outgoing calls on my Android phone. Incoming calls are less frequent for me but I think it works fine via VoIP; I don’t fwd to my native cell number as I live outside the US. This serves as a free way for me to keep in touch with people in the US.
If they call your GV number, do you get the call in your Hangouts app? If that is the case, can you tell us how you set that up?
It looked to me that an incoming call on GV number would needed to be forward to an actual number.
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

get_g0ing wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 pm
ivk5 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:57 pm GV. I use the Hangouts Dialer app to make outgoing calls on my Android phone. Incoming calls are less frequent for me but I think it works fine via VoIP; I don’t fwd to my native cell number as I live outside the US. This serves as a free way for me to keep in touch with people in the US.
If they call your GV number, do you get the call in your Hangouts app? If that is the case, can you tell us how you set that up?
It looked to me that an incoming call on GV number would needed to be forward to an actual number.
Trying to remember what I had to do to set it up. :) I think it was an old grand central number, maybe those were handled differently? I’ll poke at it and try to refresh my recollection.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Google Voice uses the Google Voice App and it can be configured to allow you to make calls from either your cell phone provider number or yours. (I switch back an forth as necessary.) IT also allows voice mail and SMS texting. It used to require Hangouts, but now you can do all of that in the GV app.

I strongly suggest it as a good option. I use the follow me features as well to dual ring land lines in offices, etc. too.

I started using it when I dropped my blackberry a few years ago and have been very very happy.

It allows me to have a "work" and a "personal" persona while carrying only one device.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

get_g0ing wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 pm
I use Android phone, with hangouts dialer app I can make and receive GV voice calls and text messages with the app itself. In hangouts settings, you need verify incoming calls play a sound and also turn on Incoming phone calls and messages. I still use an older version of the app (haven't updated to latest version). I hear the latest GV app itself or its beta version now has the ability to make/receive voice calls directly (without going thru hangouts and dialer). So download either app and experiment a bit around, thing should work out.
aida2003

Post by aida2003 »

Sorry to steer of topic slightly plus I'm a total rookie regarding smartphones, but if you install a GV app and then use it to make *free* calls, doesn't the usage of the app go against the your data plan if you're on a prepaid plan? I would be interested in making int'l calls to Europe. If I spent 40 min chatting with Europe each weekend through the GV app, how much data will I consume on my prepaid plan?

Thank you.
Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 »

I use Sideline. It’s free but I pay $2.99/month to remove the ads. Full second line capability (call, text, voicemail). I ported my work cellphone number over to it so I didn’t have carry two phones around but still able to keep separation of church and state on my numbers.
:sharebeer
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

aida2003 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:51 pm
Sorry to steer of topic slightly plus I'm a total rookie regarding smartphones, but if you install a GV app and then use it to make *free* calls, doesn't the usage of the app go against the your data plan if you're on a prepaid plan? I would be interested in making int'l calls to Europe. If I spent 40 min chatting with Europe each weekend through the GV app, how much data will I consume on my prepaid plan?

Thank you.
yes, the GV calls are routed over the data network so they incur data usage and you will pay for it based on the type of plan you have. it is not a voice call from the smartphone provider's perspective.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

aida2003 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Thank you.
Yes those voip calls could cost you in mobile data usage, don't know exactly how much mb it takes to make a 40 minute call. However, you could choose to make those VoIP calls when you have WiFi around.

Further more, if your prepaid mobile plan has unlimited voice minutes but a much smaller allowance of mobile data, then use your mobile phones dialer to call out (there is option to set caller ID to display your GV number), also setup GV to forward calls to your GV number to ring on your cellular number. This way, you communicate via GV number but it is actually accomplished by your mobile plan's minutes.

I have mine setup that incoming GV phone calls rings both in hangout dialer GV app and at my mobile number (forwarded). I get to choose which one to answer (voip call or regular mobile minute call).
aida2003

Post by aida2003 »

ft2010 and retiringwhen,
Thank you for clarification. I will stick with using my int'l calling cards then. Not worth looking for a cheaper way of calling if I spend $1.5-$2 for a call of 40-50 min.
pondering

Post by pondering »

Has the call quality been good and consistent?
--Robert Sterbal | robert@sterbal.com | 412-977-3526
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

Google Voice has allowed me to keep the same number while switching between a number of MVNO companies. I currently have my google voice number forwarding to my work phone, so I get my personal calls and work calls on the same phone (saving me from needing a personal phone plan). You can set up google voice on their website.
There’s a setting in hangouts to receive sms through that app, but you could always use messenger or something else. No need to download the awful google voice app for iOS if you have it. Google voice seems like it’s been dying for a while and I’m still surprised they’re supporting it now. It’s convenient while it lasts.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I’m using an app called “Burner” to do some selling on Craigslist. You get a second number, which will ring through to your primary number.

It does exactly what OP says he needs.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

obgraham wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am I’m using an app called “Burner” to do some selling on Craigslist. You get a second number, which will ring through to your primary number.

Hi,

How much does it cost you and does it do texting also ?
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

get_g0ing wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:21 am
obgraham wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 am I’m using an app called “Burner” to do some selling on Craigslist. You get a second number, which will ring through to your primary number.

Hi,

How much does it cost you and does it do texting also ?
The app is free.
You get a free number for a week or two, then it is sbout $5 a month to extend it.
Texts works just fine. I got dozens of them after listing a vehicle for sale.
danaht

Post by danaht »

If your using Android - Google Voice (also accessible via Google Hangouts) is the easy and "free" option to get a 2nd number. It seems to be free for most domestic US calls and there is no monthly fee. Google will assign you a free local number - or you can a pay a little fee to transfer another number. The only limitation is no 911 service - just make sure you remember to use your primary non-Google voice account for 911. Also try to use WiFi for it - unless you have an unlimited data plan.