Marriott Rewards Customer Service

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishmonger

Marriott Rewards Customer Service

Post by fishmonger » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:35 pm

Wife and I enjoy staying at Marriott's most places we go. Finally decided to take them up on their most recent offer on the Marriott Rewards Visa (100k points if you spend $5000 in the first 3 months).

I had an issue being able to log into my Rewards account, and to put it mildly the customer service is dreadful. A few times I've called the customer service number and been told it's not in service (during their usual business hours). The couple of other times I've been on hold for a good 20-25 mins before I can speak to someone. I wrote a scathing email to customer service, which is not my style, and got no response.

Is this typical for anyone else? I expected much better

mrb09

Re: Marriott Rewards Customer Service

Post by mrb09 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:42 pm

Things are really a mess right now with the SPG merger and unification of programs. I think things are supposed to be finalized from a program perspective around mid-Aug.

I've been with Marriott for a while (I'm lifetime platinum) and I personally think they're usually pretty good, but recently not so much. I'm assuming it will pass.

Flyertalk has a good Marriott forum if you want some other viewpoints.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Others have had better luck calling their offices in overseas locations. May not be ideal but it is apparently helpful due to their US lines being so busy with the merger.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:49 am

The merger slowing things down makes sense

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 am

I asked a question about the merger via message on the website. took over 2 weeks to get a response. they are swamped.

Frankly, the merged program is sub-standard from an SPG and a Marriott perspective from my viewpoint. I am lifetime Gold and have a million points in the bank, but I am frankly starting to stay at Hilton's again to get some diversity in my points. Heck even Choice hotel (Comfort Inn's) have a pretty competitive plan for budget hotel stays and points. If I hadn't been running up a hundred nights a year in hotel stays, I would never put any stock in the programs. It seems every time you reach a level of benefits they get cut or they raise the bar. That is the problem with the Marriott plan, the levels are essentially downgraded by one tier with the merger. A lifetime Gold is now worth approximately what the old Lifetime Silver was worth for Marriott Customers. There may be more hotel choices, but don't fool yourself about what you are getting.