Uninsured Motorist coverage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
airahcaz

Uninsured Motorist coverage

Post by airahcaz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm

A bit perplexing. Uninsured motorist hits your car and injures you and a passenger. Medical and liability coverage should kick in regardless. In what scenario would one need to use this beyond simply selecting state minimums? Especially if one has Personal Injury Protection , as well as Uninsured Motorist Property Damage

https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-reso ... orist.aspx
Last edited by airahcaz on Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

Rupert

Re: Uninsured Motorist coverage

Post by Rupert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:16 pm

airahcaz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm
A bit perplexing. Uninsured motorist hits your car and injures you and a passenger. Medical and liability coverage should kick in regardless. In what scenario would one need to use this beyond simply selecting state minimums?

An uninsured motorist doesn't have any medical or liability coverage to kick in. Your liability coverage won't kick in unless you are liable.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:16 pm
airahcaz wrote:
A bit perplexing. Uninsured motorist hits your car and injures you and a passenger. Medical and liability coverage should kick in regardless. In what scenario would one need to use this beyond simply selecting state minimums?

An uninsured motorist doesn't have any medical or liability coverage to kick in. Your liability coverage won't kick in unless you are liable.
Then Personal Injury Protection kicks in, as well as Uninsured Motorist Property Damage.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm

airahcaz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 pm
Rupert wrote:
airahcaz wrote:

Then Personal Injury Protection kicks in, as well as Uninsured Motorist Property Damage.
That's not what you asked originally. When you edit your original post, you should note what you edited so that the people who answered your original question don't look like idiots. Yes, uninsured motorist coverage kicks in when you're hit by an uninsured motorist. :oops: (Edited to add: PIP would kick in as well, but PIP insurance really doesn't cover much that isn't covered by health and disability insurance. I wouldn't buy that coverage if it's not mandatory.)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:16 pm

Rupert wrote:
airahcaz wrote:

Right. That is why you need uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (at least in most states).

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:23 pm
airahcaz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:20 pm
Rupert wrote:
airahcaz wrote:

That's not what you asked originally. When you edit your original post, you should note what you edited so that the people who answered your original question don't look like idiots. Yes, uninsured motorist coverage kicks in when you're hit by an uninsured motorist. :oops: (Edited to add: PIP would kick in as well, but PIP insurance really doesn't cover much that isn't covered by health and disability insurance. I wouldn't buy that coverage if it's not mandatory.)
PIP would cover passenger

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:20 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:16 pm
Rupert wrote:
airahcaz wrote:

Right. That is why you need uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (at least in most states).
But the question is to cover what... medical/PIP would cover driver and passengers

UM Property Damage covers, well, property

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:59 pm

airahcaz wrote:
A bit perplexing. Uninsured motorist hits your car and injures you and a passenger. Medical and liability coverage should kick in regardless. In what scenario would one need to use this beyond simply selecting state minimums? Especially if one has Personal Injury Protection , as well as Uninsured Motorist Property Damage

Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance is a replacement for the other driver's inadequate insurance. If the other driver is 100% at fault, then your own liability insurance doesn't come into play. Medical and PIP may not cover everything the injured person (or their survivors) may need for the rest of their life. Pain and suffering is a big one. Chronic conditions that require home care or nursing home that would fall into long term care is another. Your own liability insurance is to protect the other people you injure. UM/UIM protects you and your family and passengers.With lots of uninsured/under insured drivers on the road, it doesn't make sense to cover strangers and not cover your own family.

Scenario: Driver with state minimum $30K insurance, no assets, causes accident 100% their fault that injures your entire family so that everybody is a quadripelegic for life requiring 24 hour nursing care and unable to earn any income.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm

smackboy1 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:59 pm
airahcaz wrote:

Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance is a replacement for the other driver's inadequate insurance. If the other driver is 100% at fault, then your own liability insurance doesn't come into play. Medical and PIP may not cover everything the injured person (or their survivors) may need for the rest of their life. Pain and suffering is a big one. Chronic conditions that require home care or nursing home that would fall into long term care is another. Your own liability insurance is to protect the other people you injure. UM/UIM protects you and your family and passengers.With lots of uninsured/under insured drivers on the road, it doesn't make sense to cover strangers and not cover your own family.

Scenario: Driver with state minimum $30K insurance, no assets, causes accident 100% their fault that injures your entire family so that everybody is a quadripelegic for life requiring 24 hour nursing care and unable to earn any income.
I get that and appreciate the detailed response, but PIP would cover folks inside your vehicle, regardless of whose fault and whether other person was inside or not, up to selected limit, and if the highest limit is insufficient, then umbrella insurance could kick in?

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:15 pm

airahcaz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm
smackboy1 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:59 pm
airahcaz wrote:

I get that and appreciate the detailed response, but PIP would cover folks inside your vehicle, regardless of whose fault and whether other person was inside or not, up to selected limit, and if the highest limit is insufficient, then umbrella insurance could kick in?
I'm not really sure you know how insurance works.

Who's umbrella insurance would kick in? The 100% liable party only has minimum insurance limit of $30K and no assets. Your own umbrella insurance is irrelevant if you have no liability.

PIP/health insurance will pay medical expenses up to a point i.e. maximum medical improvement or until a policy limit is reached. If they are stable but permanently disabled with nursing care expenses of $100K/year that's probably not covered. PIP/health insurance are limited in what they will cover for long term care expenses. After the injured party has expended all their personal assets, Medicaid maybe an option.

If the injured party has lost wages they might be able to recover some of that, or maybe they were smart enough to have disability insurance. But what if the injured party is a child who will need decades of long term care? Children usually do not have disability or long term care insurance.

Here's another scenario: walking or bicycling on the street you are hit by an 100% at fault uninsured driver with no assets. You don't even need to be in a car and UM/UIM may cover that situation and provide a way to recover medical costs, lost wages, pain and suffering etc..

There are 2 types of people that do not need to buy UM/UIM:
1) Income too low and cannot afford it
2) So wealthy they do not need it (and same for their passengers)

If you want to skip coverage, PIP has similar coverage as health insurance. In fact some insurers will give you a discount if you opt for heath insurance to be primary over PIP. But make sure all your passengers have health insurance too.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:43 pm

If you are a victim of an accident that was someone else's fault and suffer disability, chronic pain, loss of income, etc you sue the other party for your damages. That is where THEIR liability steps in. If they have no insurance, and they are poor, you have nobody to sue. That is where uninsured motorist steps in. Without uninsured motorist, you are up a creek. Health insurance will cover medical expenses, less likely a substantial deductible. If you have disability insurance that would cover some of your lost wages. But you would not receive a settlement for all the other tangible or intangible losses you incur. Pip usually only covers a low dollar max like $10,000.

It is true that uninsured motorist is partially redundant to other coverages, but the other coverages don't totally replace it. Decades ago I dropped it a while in a city where it was very expensive and I already had disability. You could argue whether that was smart or not. I wouldn't do that now.

Now uninsured property damage may be largely redundant if you already have collision and comprehensive. But the deductible is typically higher for collision and comp. A few years ago I was hit from behind by a 15 year old unlicensed and uninsured driver. I had previously dropped the uninsured property damage. The result is I had to eat the $1000 deductible. Sure I can afford it but it irked me I had to cough up a grand through no fault of my own. If I had kept uninsured property damage I would have only eaten $250. I actually added the coverage back after that.

I have heard in some cities like Miami almost half the drivers are uninsured.

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/fact ... -motorists

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 pm

JBTX and Smackboy have done a good job of explaining how auto insurance works.

Also be aware that coverages can vary greatly from state to state. Some states offer PIP, some offer med, some offer both, etc. Also, in a few states, a liability umbrella can include uninsured motorist coverage but that is not very common. You'll need to understand what is offered by your company in your state.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 pm

quote]

ABSOLUTELY NOT! If you drive a car, you MUST have UM/UIM - or you risk a real financial and medical disaster.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Appreciate all the input.

My decision was the min $15K/$30K

Or the maximum $500K/$500K

Anything in between is only a few bucks

I’m guessing go max then, which will match my bodily injury limits

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 am

If youre worried about permanent disability, wouldnt disability insurance be better, since it would cover injury from any cause and you wouldnt have to risk a trial against the uninsured driver? Your own insurance co might argue in defense of the uninsured driver.

https://bancorpinsurance.com/why-did-pr ... -in-court/

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:41 am

airahcaz wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:28 pm
Appreciate all the input.

My decision was the min $15K/$30K

Or the maximum $500K/$500K

Anything in between is only a few bucks

I’m guessing go max then, which will match my bodily injury limits
If you also buy umbrella policy, your uninsured/underinsured limits probably need to meet some required coverage level.
Wiki

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:24 am

dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:40 pm

ABSOLUTELY NOT! If you drive a car, you MUST have UM/UIM - or you risk a real financial and medical disaster.
If a person's income is so low the choice is between food, shelter or medicine vs. UM/UIM coverage, then food, shelter or medicine to stay alive takes priority. They are already in a financial/medical disaster. Which is why if you can afford it, saving a few $ by skipping UM/UIM is such a bad idea because there are numerous under/uninsured drivers out there who's only choice is between several bad choices.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 am

boglerdude wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 am
If youre worried about permanent disability, wouldnt disability insurance be better, since it would cover injury from any cause and you wouldnt have to risk a trial against the uninsured driver? Your own insurance co might argue in defense of the uninsured driver.

https://bancorpinsurance.com/why-did-pr ... -in-court/
Insurance is a contract with very specific terms and conditions. There is no single insurance that broadly covers every situation, there will always be gaps. ST/LT disability insurance is a contract to replace lost income in the event of loss of ability to earn income. Generally if a person has no income, then they can't buy disability insurance. A passenger with no income e.g. child, unemployed, has to look to some other source for recovery.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:30 pm

Checked with my health insurance and after a deductible the coverage is unlimited (worldwide), but that of course is only for me and any family members on the same policy.

boglerdude

Post by boglerdude » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 am

If I buy uninsured motorist, is there a price sheet that says how much they'll compensate for different injuries? Beyond what my health and disability insurance would pay. eg a lost leg is worth $X ?

tj218

Post by tj218 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 am

Got my car totaled by an uninsured driver, fortunately I was not injured. My uninsured coverage covered the car and also the deductible was waived because of the uninsured motorist. I am pretty sure I still would have been covered for the car under collision but I would have had to pay the deductible. If you are like most BH you probably have a high deductible, so it may be reason enough there. We just got our renewal and our uninsured coverage is $37 /year.
If you have a $500 deductible = 13.5 years to break even.
$1000 deductible = 27 years.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:47 am

tj218 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 am
Got my car totaled by an uninsured driver, fortunately I was not injured. My uninsured coverage covered the car and also the deductible was waived because of the uninsured motorist. I am pretty sure I still would have been covered for the car under collision but I would have had to pay the deductible. If you are like most BH you probably have a high deductible, so it may be reason enough there. We just got our renewal and our uninsured coverage is $37 /year.

Indeed. One on vehicle we have collision, on the other we don’t. I wonder what happens for the car where we don’t and are hit by an uninsured...

tj218

Post by tj218 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:11 am

airahcaz wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:47 am
tj218 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 am

Indeed. One on vehicle we have collision, on the other we don’t. I wonder what happens for the car where we don’t and are hit by an uninsured...

My guess is you would be 100% on the hook for the damage to your car that lacks the uninsured coverage unless you are able to sue and get the uninsured motorist to pay up. Seems like a major hassle.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:35 am

Uninsured can can cover bodily injury, property damage or both, depending on what you have purchased. If you have uninsured property damage coverage, it will cover property damage caused by an uninsured motorist regardless of whether you carry collision coverage.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:56 am

The very fact that there is uninsured motorist insurance is a problem right up front.
Uninsured motorists on the roads must be more than a casual occurrence. It must have reached a level that mandates you get it.
Yet, in my state, it is mandatory to have car insurance coverage. It seems that the ball is being dropped here. You cannot drive a car without registration/license plates and that is right there to be seen. No plate, or out of date. But the insurance, well, that is not so visible. I understand why someone may not buy insurance if they have financial problems. However, does anyone ever get a summons or penalty for not having insurance?
Meanwhile the rest of us have to protect ourselves with extra insurance.
The responsible people pay, and then they pay extra, and such is life for a BH since we have something to lose. It would be easy for the insurance companies to charge even more for uninsured motorist because we are backed into a corner on this one.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:56 am
The very fact that there is uninsured motorist insurance is a problem right up front.
Uninsured motorists on the roads must be more than a casual occurrence. It must have reached a level that mandates you get it.
Yet, in my state, it is mandatory to have car insurance coverage. It seems that the ball is being dropped here. You cannot drive a car without registration/license plates and that is right there to be seen. No plate, or out of date. But the insurance, well, that is not so visible. I understand why someone may not buy insurance if they have financial problems. However, does anyone ever get a summons or penalty for not having insurance?
Meanwhile the rest of us have to protect ourselves with extra insurance.
The responsible people pay, and then they pay extra, and such is life for a BH since we have something to lose. It would be easy for the insurance companies to charge even more for uninsured motorist because we are backed into a corner on this one.
Yes - lots of folks drop their insurance or let it lapse for nonpayment - and keep on driving.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:02 pm

I suspect most states that have required insurance also require proof at plate renewal. The problem, as noted, is that you only have to have it at the time. If cancelled or not renewed (some companies advertise month-to-month required minimum insurance *wink *wink).

The state could have a mechanism to have insurance companies report all purchases and lapses to a central authority that would then issue orders for police to find and confiscate plates and ticket the driver, but I don't know if any do. Otherwise the way they find out is if a driver is pulled over can't produce proof of insurance (even that is fallible) or there's an accident. And yes, tickets are issued for that. In Missouri if you get a ticket for no proof, if you can show the court you had valid insurance at the time, the ticket is waived.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:31 pm

IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:55 pm
JBTX and Smackboy have done a good job of explaining how auto insurance works.

Also be aware that coverages can vary greatly from state to state. Some states offer PIP, some offer med, some offer both, etc. Also, in a few states, a liability umbrella can include uninsured motorist coverage but that is not very common. You'll need to understand what is offered by your company in your state.
Yes, JBTX and Smackboy covered it well (you, too, with your brief comments). :happy

I worked in the actuarial field for 23 years, specializing in personal auto insurance, so I learned a lot about these coverages over time.

Besides Uninsured Motorists BI and Uninsured Motorists PD, there are two other, related coverages - Underinsured Motorists BI and PD. These coverages protect you in case the other (at-fault) driver is on the hook for damages, has insurance, but not enough to pay for your damages (economic and non-economic). UIM works in different ways and can vary from state to state in how broad or narrow it applies. Often, but not always, it is sold as a package with UM.

In the 1980s and 1990s, technology and other advances helped reduce the rate of uninsured drivers. Three big items contributed to this: One was the electronic linking of insurance cancelation reports to state DMV systems. The second was the police asking for proof of insurance when pulling drivers over for traffic violations, not just in accidents. The third was car dealers requiring proof of insurance before selling cars to buyers.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Any ideas or statistics on how many Uninsured drivers are out there? I suspect it varies a lot by locality.

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:41 pm

dm200 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:34 pm
Any ideas or statistics on how many Uninsured drivers are out there? I suspect it varies a lot by locality.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Pranav wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:41 pm
dm200 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:34 pm
In 2015, 13.0 percent of motorists, or about one in eight drivers, was uninsured,

Wow - that is a lot :(