Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet with Alexa 32 GB for $59.99 (limited time offer)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rjbraun

Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet with Alexa 32 GB for $59.99 (limited time offer)

Post by rjbraun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:55 am

This seems like a pretty good deal ... right? My Fire 7 just arrived yesterday (purchased on Amazon Prime Day). My iPad mini was purchased several years ago, but I'm not sure the Fire 7 or Fire 8 should be considered direct substitutes or replacements. Still, with various promos I only paid 10 bucks for the Fire 7 (plus $10 more for a case) so I can view it as an "experiment".

Is it worth springing for a Fire 8? One thought was to use it for traveling, where I might not want to expose my regularly-used devices to hotel or public wifi. Actually, that was the plan for the Fire 7. It's so tiny, though, almost like a toy!

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-Tablet-Alex ... =UTF8&th=1

Is today's deal good, should I go for it?

runner3081

Re: Amazon Fire 8 HD tablet with Alexa 32 GB for $59.99 (limited time offer)

Post by runner3081 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am

Fair... Great deal if you have Citi Points promotion and can get it for $30 like many others are.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11915967-citi- ... rds-points

I picked up the 16GB version on Prime Day for $20.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 pm

I got a Fire HD 8 on Prime Day for $49.99 and returned it the next day. I don't get the appeal at any price and would rather spend on a extra on a used last generation iPad. It was sluggish, had rather poor screen quality, and the UI leaves a lot to be desired.

It might be fine if those things aren't important to you, but if you have any familiarity with iOS and Apple hardware, this may not work for you

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:12 pm

I got one a few months ago for my grandchildren when they visit. They were fighting over my expensive Ipad. I think it is a great deal. I got a $10 case from Walmart.com that works great. The scrolling is not as good as the Ipad but it is acceptable. It runs on Android so not all apps will work on the device but it is mostly for the kids that want YouTube. I plan to take it on vacation rather than my Ipad.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:13 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am
Fair... Great deal if you have Citi Points promotion and can get it for $30 like many others are.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11915967-citi- ... rds-points

I picked up the 16GB version on Prime Day for $20.
Thanks. Okay, I think I may hold off, in that case. I don't have Citi or Amex points to get the lower price.

Also, I don't think I need to rush to get another Fire tablet. I will play around with the Fire 7 I just got. By the time I'm potentially ready to buy another the technology will probably have improved and maybe the price will drop too.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:26 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 pm
I got a Fire HD 8 on Prime Day for $49.99 and returned it the next day. I don't get the appeal at any price and would rather spend on a extra on a used last generation iPad. It was sluggish, had rather poor screen quality, and the UI leaves a lot to be desired.

It might be fine if those things aren't important to you, but if you have any familiarity with iOS and Apple hardware, this may not work for you
Interesting. I didn't realize that one could return the Fire HD ... just "because". But, that explains a friend who said she loves her Fire 8 HD but disliked her Fire 7 and returned it.

My initial impression, after not even 24 hours, is that I agree with you, in general. I didn't really have an issue with the screen quality on the Fire 7, something my friend also took issue with. I do agree that the user-interface seems lacking. That has been a surprise as I find Amazon pretty user-friendly in its website interface. To the extent I have experienced sluggishness I thought maybe it was my slower internet connection. Also, given my iPad is a few years old, I have issues with responsiveness there as well.

Still, for the $10-$20 (with case) I spent on the Fire 7, I'm good. If nothing else I want to understand what all the talk is with the Fire tablets. But, I guess I won't go for the current deal with the Fire 8 HD.

One more thought. I was impressed with the Fire 7's handling of my Kindle books. One of my frustrations with reading them on an actual Kindle is that I find charts and non-text stuff near impossible to see in any helpful fashion. I was pretty amazed that I could "stretch" data presentations (charts, graphs, etc.) on the Fire tablet. Also, an art-type book where the pictures are nothing, in essence, on a Paperwhite were crisp and worthy of close scrutiny (especially when expanded) on the Fire. I figure this aspect will also be handy when traveling as you can actually expand local maps in a guidebook to make them useful for getting around.

Thanks for the helpful feedback.
Last edited by rjbraun on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yankuba

Post by Yankuba » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:33 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 pm

I was also unimpressed with the Fire 7 I got on Prime Day. My iPhone is easier to use and more intuitive. The tablet is clunky and slow.

mxs

Post by mxs » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:41 pm

For me, the appeal of the Fire tablets are the prices. Sure you can get a better tablet, but they are usually 2 or 3 times the price, if not more. It also depends on what you are using them for. I can tell you from personal experience they run VLC and play movies very well. Your usage may be something they don't do well. I have an older 7 and a current 7, but I would likely replace them with HD 8's or 10's. For that, I will look at the kids editions with cases, subscriptions, and maybe the two pack deal.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 pm

mxs is right.

You should not expect a $30 Fire 7 or even a $60 Fire 8 HD to remotely compare to the performance, touch responsiveness, or screen quality of a $500+ smartphone.

If you don't have any similar device, or if you just want a bigger screen for certain tasks, the price is really nice. I bought one a while ago to use primarily as a cookbook, and my wife sometimes props it up to watch shows while she's doing chores.

I use it a little bit for browsing, too, but especially as webpages keep getting more and more complex, it has proven so tedious to use that if I'm doing much more than checking the weather, I'd rather walk over to my desktop than deal with the "convenience" of the entry level Fire.

4th and Inches

Post by 4th and Inches » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Is the Amazon Fire 8 a notable upgrade speed-wise compared to the iPad 2?

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:34 pm

I got one of these at a price that was only a little higher. I ended up returning it. The hardware is OK, but the OS is crippling because it's not "real" Android.

You cannot easily use and install apps from the Google Play Store. There is a work-around to this, but it's complicated and can be easily broken by future software updates. And it just doesn't work out nearly as well as if you use a "real" Android tablet.

I replaced the Fire 8 tablet that I purchased with a Samsung Tab A (also 8 inches). It was more than twice the price (although still a great deal compared to smartphones or Apple iPads), however the quality is much higher and it's not nearly as limited. In retrospect, I was being "penny-wise and pound-foolish" in getting the Fire 8. The upfront purchase price looms large when you buy it, but pales in comparison with usability over the long-run, and the value of the time you need to invest to deal with this.

I think that most people should go with non-Amazon tablet using "real" Android if they can afford it--it is a better deal in the long-run. While it uses a variant of Android, it's not part of the Google Android "ecosystem."

If you buy it, keep in mind that it's primarily designed to be a delivery vehicle for Amazon content. This maybe what you want. Also, it's not a bad choice for kids because at this price it's practically disposable. But if you're getting it for yourself and want to install the same apps that you have on your Android smartphone, don't bother. It's possible to do this, but not worth the hassle (in my opinion).

mega317

Post by mega317 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:01 pm

I also got a Fire 7 on Prime Day because it was so dang cheap and I just wanted to check it out. I had planned very limited use for it--storing and reading PDFs for and at work--and so far so good. It's nice to have a dedicated, larger screen than my phone. I agree with prior comments about screen quality and sluggishness but it's good enough for my limited purpose.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:05 am

I agree with the comments regarding the inherent imitations of Amazon's tablets. However, if one is looking for a bargain tablet, the Amazon tablets are a good choice. I would definitely go with a Fire 8 HD over the 7, however. I have an 8 HD and briefly had the 7. The 8 HD's storage, display and battery life are better, and it is also slightly faster than the 7 from what I can tell. The 8 HD also has superior sound to the 7 but this is not so important to me, as I generally use headphones.

I mainly use an iPad and iPhone, but my Fire 8 HD is what I take to the gym (elliptical and stationary bike) and on the train to work. Downloaded e-books, audiobooks, and especially Prime Video work great on this little tablet, to the earlier point about the device being focused on Amazon content. But I also watch Hulu and Netflix on the 8 HD, and apps work great. I would much prefer to have easy access to Google Play for apps, though.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:34 am

The Fire Tablets seem like a hunk of junk compared to the (admittedly overpriced) iPad. I just can't see getting one.
Walmart had the 2017 iPad on sale for $250 when the 2018 came out.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 am

I picked up a Fire 10 HD on Prime Day and agree with the other posters. It's not an iPad. That being said, I was able to get the Google Play Store installed and then loaded Gmail, Chrome, Outlook for Android and most of the other apps I have on my iPad and Galaxy S8. I use it primarily for email, web surfing and Netflix/Hulu. The screen is good and the speakers are good so as a media consumption device it isn't half bad. The lock screen ads and UI are generally a bit more annoying than iOS, but for the price I can live with it (about a third or less than what I paid for a basic iPad 2017). The one thing I am not a huge fan of is the idle/sleep battery life. We've got a few iPads scattered around the house and even if one hasn't been picked up in a week or two it will still have a decent amount of battery life left. Not so with the Fire 10. I think I left it for 3-4 days and it was completely dead so I'll have to remember to plug it in more often.

TL;DR - decent bargain device, but it's not going to overtake the iPad anytime soon.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am

4th and Inches wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:18 pm
Of course not, it is only $50. I see people are expecting a $50 device to work as well as a $250-$500 Ipad. It does a great job with Kindle and acceptable with Youtube and surfing.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:56 am

The ipad 2 is 7 years old and can be had for under $100. It's not unreasonable to ask if a modern tablet normally priced around $100 could be faster.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 am
4th and Inches wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:18 pm
Of course not, it is only $50. I see people are expecting a $50 device to work as well as a $250-$500 Ipad. It does a great job with Kindle and acceptable with Youtube and surfing.
Note that the question was about the iPad 2, quite a few generations back.

I took a moment to try looking for benchmarks, but because new benchmarks are frequently developed, I'm not finding anything clearly comparable. Even the little changed Passmark results aren't helping, because although the iPad 2 is on there, the Fire HD 8 is not, and I'm unsure how useful it actually is to compare Passmark scores between different operating systems.

The scattered, not quite comparable results I found seem to hint that the roughly 3 iterations of Moore's law and the maturation of the mobile processor market might actually give the HD 8 an advantage. On the other hand, changes in the OS's and apps since 2011 to take advantage of newer processors might mean the HD 8 has to deal with enough software bloat it doesn't matter.

I don't think that's the question you should start with though. You have an iOS device. Do you definitely like iOS, do you not have strong feelings about it, or do you dislike it?

If the first option, upgrade to another iPad when you feel yours does not meet your expectations.

If the 3rd option, go ahead and switch, and move on to the next question of deciding a budget, and what features or uses are important to you.

If the more difficult 2nd option, I suppose it's a reasonably cheap way to try out an Android-based system, but FireOS is enough different from the main branch of Android I don't think it's a very definitive way to test the experience.