When is leaving your job that pays well a good idea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: When is leaving your job that pays well a good idea?

Post by michaeljc70 »

I just quit (this week) a job I really didn't like that I worked for 5 months. Ideally, I would have stuck around longer or found a new job before quitting. Having savings gives you more freedom and options. If I knew I would only be making 1/2 on the next job, then I would think about it more carefully and try to tolerate it if I planned on continuing to work. If you plan to just retire, then I'd quit and not give it a second thought. Have you considered doing contract work (I'm not sure of your exact job)? It tends to pay better than salaried work and you can pick and choose projects and when/where you work.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

I agree with others...find a hobby. A lot..and I mean a LOT of people have soul crushing jobs and they also have low pay.

Im also curious what your net worth is without your house? You're too young to retire even if you move to a lcol area. Id say suck it up and work another 5 years...or move to a lcol area and find a new job. Find a new job first before you move!
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Part of the problem I think is the meme that started going around about "find your passion" and "love your job and you'll never work a day in your life" and all of that. Young people seem to think that's the norm, rather than the great exception. If their job isn't constantly challenging and entertaining them, they think there's something wrong.

They call it "work" not "fun" for a reason. That being said, look for ways to improve your situation at work. If you're bored, let your boss know that you're up for new challenges. That might lead to something. Look for new opportunities internally for "job rotation". People you don't really know at work, invite 'em out for lunch and talk.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

Sharpematt wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm I’ve already done this for more than a decade and can’t imagine a lifetime spent for 40 working years plopped in front of computer monitors at a desk.
You have that much equity and you plan to work for 30 more years? Why?

I'm assuming you have a financial spreadsheet indicating your desired FIRE date; perhaps it's time to readjust future spending expectations, given your sentiments.

There's no point in going back to school or switching careers if you feel bored at 30, and yet don't even dislike your job! Other people are waaaaaaay past that with their jobs, and yet can grind for years. You don't sound like a grinder. I think chances are good you will feel this way at your next stop, too.

So yes, in response to your last question, I think you need to toughen up. This is the real world where very, very few people wake up every day and are thrilled to go to work.

If I were you, I'd save like a mf for the next decade and then get out. Or, have kids and allow them to give you a sense of purpose at your job.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm Part of the problem I think is the meme that started going around about "find your passion" and "love your job and you'll never work a day in your life" and all of that. Young people seem to think that's the norm, rather than the great exception. If their job isn't constantly challenging and entertaining them, they think there's something wrong.

They call it "work" not "fun" for a reason. That being said, look for ways to improve your situation at work. If you're bored, let your boss know that you're up for new challenges. That might lead to something. Look for new opportunities internally for "job rotation". People you don't really know at work, invite 'em out for lunch and talk.

I'm quitting my high paying job to "find my passion." :) I want to be the great exception.
I turned 30 this year.
GoofyOne

Post by GoofyOne »

My friend asked today if anyone ever posts on Bogleheads about retiring early and ending up not having enough....
gluskap

Post by gluskap »

Interesting...I'm also making $160k a year and wondering this exact same thing too. Only difference is I'm a little older 38 and have less net worth...probably at 1.3mil and have 1 kid. I only work about 40 hours a week but I have a soul draining commute of almost 3 hours a day. I think I've decided to just suck it up until maybe 45-50 when our house is paid off and find something less stressful. Good luck with your decision!
Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon »

I'd kill for a 40-hour/week job making six figures. As long as your job isn't destroying your physical health, stay the course. Many have it far, far worse.
tnr

Post by tnr »

I viewed my career as a long distance race, perhaps not a grueling marathon but still a long race. You cannot sprint the whole distance. One needs to constantly monitor their work:life balance and career goals and make adjustments as necessary. I tended to try and make many small adjustments in my career as opposed to a few huge ones. But everyone is different.

I can’t make a recommendation on how long you should stay on your current track. You’ve done extremely well financially which gives you more freedom. Good luck in whatever you decide.
youngin87

Post by youngin87 »

Studies show that happiness is a U curve throughout ones life. It starts high in the early 20's then declines gradually where it reaches a nadir at 45-50. It peaks again in the 60's.

What does this mean? Is it our careers that cause our unhappiness from 25-60? Or is it because our daily struggies with debts, kids, relationships, etc build up their toll throughout life until we figure out how to manage our stresses better as we age.

I'm been struggling with this issue as I've been trying to search for happiness and meaningfulness in life at my age of 30. I don't know the answer yet.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

It took a lot of suffering from an illness for me to "get it" and realize that we have "enough". If not for the suffering I would still be in the rat race stuck in my office staring at a computer screen all day. I recovered and I did not need to return to the rat race. My wife works full time but she has the option to go part time and still keep the health insurance. I can go back to work part time or full tine if for some reason we need the extra income because of a layoff or nasty recession. The part time or full time job I get doesn't need to be a high paying job.

I feel free at 42 years old.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

:idea:
youngin87 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:10 am Studies show that happiness is a U curve throughout ones life. It starts high in the early 20's then declines gradually where it reaches a nadir at 45-50. It peaks again in the 60's.

What does this mean? Is it our careers that cause our unhappiness from 25-60? Or is it because our daily struggies with debts, kids, relationships, etc build up their toll throughout life until we figure out how to manage our stresses better as we age.

I'm been struggling with this issue as I've been trying to search for happiness and meaningfulness in life at my age of 30. I don't know the answer yet.
This video pretty much covers what you're saying. I suggest the OP watch it.

https://youtu.be/qMW6xgPgY4s

The Algebra of Happiness.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

It's a good idea to leave when the boss asks you to do something that's illegal, immoral or fattening. Or you get a better gig.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 »

OP,

Work is 40/168 hours = not even 25% of your work week while you waste rest 75% thinking about it.
So,
1. Stop reading crap on the internet.
2. Minimize screen time apart from work.
3. You have ample time to do things you enjoy that will make you feel good apart from the 40 hour work.

Be true to your emotions - you cannot enjoy every moment of your life - this is the truth.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

lostdog wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:00 am :idea:
youngin87 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:10 am Studies show that happiness is a U curve throughout ones life. It starts high in the early 20's then declines gradually where it reaches a nadir at 45-50. It peaks again in the 60's.

This video pretty much covers what you're saying. I suggest the OP watch it.

https://youtu.be/qMW6xgPgY4s

The Algebra of Happiness.
Excellent link. Thanks for sharing.
redbeard25

Post by redbeard25 »

It's crazy to read everyones responses.I'm 27 and well...not smart like most of you. I don't have a degree, not sure exactly what I want to do. I know I've gotta go back to school because making $2k a month sucks but I also need to be smart college loans. I've got enough to cover my expenses that's about it right now. I've heard people in 10x worse situations, so I consider myself lucky. I'm at a point where I need to get my head out my arse and figure something out...
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

Early 30s with that high of salary and net worth (assuming house is not included) does not seem believable.
doug1022

Post by doug1022 »

OP,

Perhaps take comfort in the fact that a) you have considerable net worth and as a result, some financial flexibility, and b) as you can tell from the volume of responses, there are many others out there who are in a similar situation (including myself), and significantly many, many more who suffer through tougher employment situations for significantly lower pay.

A few suggestions:
if your work week is truly only 40 hours (ex commuting time), consider carving out some time for fulfilling / rewarding endeavors such as volunteering, being active (sports, exercise) or finding new ways to lean in with your family.

if you haven't already, review the Bogleheads thread "tell me about your forties" which I found to be extremely enlightening with so many priceless words of wisdom:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=150764&start=100&hilit=forties

+ 1 on the 'Algebra of Happiness' link. I viewed that for the first time today, and it has given me strength as I head back to work tomorrow after a week's long vacation...

Continue your thought process around another moving to a new location. Can you plan to visit Nashville for a week or two to get a sense of the city? Perhaps mapping this out will create some energy and inspiration in your life.

Best of Luck
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm
ladders11 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm I would be retired if I had $2 million.
At age 30? You're dreaming. A safe withdrawal rate at that age would probably not be more that 3%, so 60k a year for two (not sure if kids are involved).
Yes even if I were 30, and no I'm not dreaming. All through my 20's I never spent more than 30k per year. Even with some sort of lifestyle creep savings between 750k and 1m = I am retired and forget about it, no employment required.

I also could imagine getting aggressively into hobbies to the extent that those become a part-time income (tennis instructor, golf pro, artist, etc) which would lower that number.

However let's be clear, I've never had a lucrative or enjoyable career, and even though it has been up to 40 hours (max) it has driven me nuts at times.
ladders11

Post by ladders11 »

I don't really believe this. Admittedly I don't want kids and partly that's because I don't see many parents demonstrating anything aside from stress. However as far as job satisfaction is concerned, I do believe it starts out pretty high during your 20's and declines into your 30's.

Reflecting, at 23 I was really pretty pleased to be out in the world making, like $4k per month, having my own apartment and buying my own crap. I see this level of satisfaction in co-workers who are ~20's. I was keyed into some financial goals, like getting out of debt and establishing savings, and personal goals, like going to Europe and the Caribbean for the first time. However ten years later I have accomplished those goals, I make more money but it's hard to get past the idea I've done what I set out to do. Extracting a paycheck at whatever emotional cost isn't as big a deal as being respected and not poked and prodded, for example. Cultural fit at work and in the community became a bigger deal.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I can speak to this.

I left a boring and well paying job in a Megacorp. Joined another Megacorp with the promise of a more interesting position, possibility of growth - but with 20% less pay. (Moved to TX, supposedly not a HCOL state)

Turns out the new job is even worse than the old one. Can't imagine how I'll get back to my previous income level.

Count your blessings.... and find something else to focus upon while you're at the well paying job!
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

ladders11 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 am I don't really believe this. Admittedly I don't want kids and partly that's because I don't see many parents demonstrating anything aside from stress. However as far as job satisfaction is concerned, I do believe it starts out pretty high during your 20's and declines into your 30's.
You see the stress, but you probably don't see (and certainly don't experience) the parents as they see the look of pure wonder in a child's eyes when they are being told a story or a hug and an "I love you" when they go to work. Those experiences, while fleeting, are enough to fill up my emotional bank many times over.

Some of this discussion really ties more into an absence of meaning in ones life than it is about job satisfaction. We all live in communities with great needs all around us... it sounds like there are some great opportunities to pay if forward to others if you are so inclined. I usually get more out of those opportunities than I expected.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Sharpematt wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm I have a job that a like a decent amount but I often wonder if this is the peak happiness I can get out of life. I make about $160k and am in my early 30’s. My wife and I have around $2 million between investments and our house. Between our careers and investment income we make $260k annually with no kids. On paper this should be very good with only a bachelors degree, but a few issues keep creeping up to the surface:

1) Sitting at a desk for 40 hours per week can often feel soul crushing. I’ve already done this for more than a decade and can’t imagine a lifetime spent for 40 working years plopped in front of computer monitors at a desk.

2) I live in a city that is just okay, but don’t really love. I live here for the good job market but would ideally live in a number of other cities. Nashville looks like a place that fits my ideal lifestyle, but I know no one there.

My question to you older folks with more life experience: should I keep grinding in my situation for longer towards an early retirement, or look to move on sooner rather than later?

My dilemma is that if I switched jobs even in the same career path I’d probably make half the money due to being in a good situation. I also don’t dislike my job, but wonder if grass is greener in a new city doing work with less anxiety. Do I just need to toughen up?
If I were you (OP), I would stay with the good paying job until I am financially independent, which in your case maybe soon if not already, I guess. Then I would find a job or take a sabbatical leave and see what would be my feeling.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

ladders11 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:10 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm
ladders11 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm I would be retired if I had $2 million.
At age 30? You're dreaming. A safe withdrawal rate at that age would probably not be more that 3%, so 60k a year for two (not sure if kids are involved).
Yes even if I were 30, and no I'm not dreaming. All through my 20's I never spent more than 30k per year. Even with some sort of lifestyle creep savings between 750k and 1m = I am retired and forget about it, no employment required.

I also could imagine getting aggressively into hobbies to the extent that those become a part-time income (tennis instructor, golf pro, artist, etc) which would lower that number.

However let's be clear, I've never had a lucrative or enjoyable career, and even though it has been up to 40 hours (max) it has driven me nuts at times.

Agree. $60k/yr is a lavish lifestyle.
bh7785

Post by bh7785 »

We've all been there. One of my best friend's was in the IT industry, making well over $100k annually while only working ~30 hours/week. He also felt it was soulcrushing, and after doing it for a number of years was able to save up a lot of money. 3 months ago he quit his job and moved to Japan to teach english for $30k/year salary. He seems pretty happy right now. He's 33 now.
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

TallBoy29er wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:42 pm Early 30's and $2M+ net worth? Wow, kudos to you. Truly, nice work, I'm impressed by the position you've put yourselves in.

"Soul Crushing." Your words. That is not sustainable. I'd start paving my way out. I understand all too well your sentiments. Money is not everything, and it sure won't be how you judge your life at the end.

"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir.
"The mountains are calling, and I must go."

Love that.
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

28fe6 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 pm I'm in a similar situation of having a soul crushing job, except without the high pay, and I work more hours, and have about 1/10th the investments.

Get a hobby.
Lol - good way to keep it in perspective.
Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 »

MP173 wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:36 am I hit my "crisis" at age 34, actually a year or two prior, but at that age I did something about it.

However, I was in a dead end job and miserable. Sunday nights was an unpleasant time as the realization that in 12 hours I would be unfulfilled and underpaid.

Made a change, as I had been with the same company for 13 years. Was immediately in a situation in which I had to succeed or face failure and worked my tail off. One of the best moves in my life (top 3). Twenty eight years later I am still there and winding it down. Sort of have a similar situation...have I accomplished "enough"? Have I made a difference? Midway thru the 4th quarter (to use a sports analogy) with the clock ticking.

Here is the deal...you and wife are in a great financial situation. Now, what do you really want to do when you grow up?

Ed
+1
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

I was making over one million usd per year when I was 40, but had saved enough to buy a decent home and had just over 4 million saved. The job had become unrewarding other than monetarily and I really did not like the people I worked with so I retired. It was the right decision for me for certain. I think when it is time, you will know.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 2015 »

redbeard25 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:57 am It's crazy to read everyones responses.I'm 27 and well...not smart like most of you. I don't have a degree, not sure exactly what I want to do. I know I've gotta go back to school because making $2k a month sucks but I also need to be smart college loans. I've got enough to cover my expenses that's about it right now. I've heard people in 10x worse situations, so I consider myself lucky. I'm at a point where I need to get my head out my arse and figure something out...
Redbeard, at 27, you are lucky enough to have been born during an extraordinary time. I believe your generation and the one just following you will have hardships generations before you did not have. OTOH, you have and will continue to have unprecedented opportunities. It's an exciting time to be your age and to be alive! Make the most of it because history has handed you personal power that did not exist pre-digital in the way it does now. The saying "may you live in interesting times" is most true for your generation and those that follow.

I would suggest to you and to OP as well not to make any outer changes without changing your inside first. We are conditioned to always be looking on the outside when the truth is that are circumstances are always a reflection of our thinking, of what's going on in the inside. Usually, what's going on in the inside is multi-faceted and must be considered in depth. You and OP appear to be at what is referred to as an inflection point in life. Decisions at these crossroads can reverberate for years and so must be taken with care. I highly recommend that you and OP study the nature of success, achievement and accomplishment. I may sound like a shrew for Brian Tracy as I am always recommending his work, but I recommend you read him or someone like him who resonates with you. I was just 31 when I encountered Tracy and it set the stage for habits of mind that have influenced my success to this day.

If you have taken the time to create the competencies in yourself that are the foundation of success, you won't have to have the perfect portfolio or the perfect personal finance strategy because your success will spread across most areas of your life.
bgf

Post by bgf »

3CT_Paddler wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:48 am
ladders11 wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:30 am I don't really believe this. Admittedly I don't want kids and partly that's because I don't see many parents demonstrating anything aside from stress. However as far as job satisfaction is concerned, I do believe it starts out pretty high during your 20's and declines into your 30's.
You see the stress, but you probably don't see (and certainly don't experience) the parents as they see the look of pure wonder in a child's eyes when they are being told a story or a hug and an "I love you" when they go to work. Those experiences, while fleeting, are enough to fill up my emotional bank many times over.
my two year old baby girl laughing and running to me (in that cute way that only toddlers run) when i get home from work is just indescribable. it won't be here long and i can't imagine being luckier. stress is real but so is love.

back to topic, people really need to give job descriptions. reading threads like this without actually knowing the job is incredibly annoying.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
beyou

Post by beyou »

My take is that a high paying 40 hr job will not last forever. Don’t agonize thinking about quitting. Think of this as a temporary ride, one that can’t possibly last as it’s too good to be true. Take the money while you can. The world is in constant change, a new boss, corporate merger or decline in appetite for your products, no matter how silly it may seem, can happen. And when it does, you’ll be ready financially and mentally to move on and handle it stress free.

Also note I was offered the chance to move to Nashville. Not as cheap as you think. You alluded to 100k homes, (10% of your million $ home). They have 800k homes in the most desirable areas, maybe 300k elsehwere. Traffic is supposed to be bad and getting worse. In the end, decided to stay near family in my HCOL area, and not follow my soul crushing employer to Nashville.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Amazing how these midlife crisis are so common, and similar. I think folks (particularly the children of boomers) fall into the trap of looking to their jobs for too much fulfillment. Our parents in contrast were far more utilitarian... a job was for the money, and the money was a means to fulfillment (children, family, hobbies, travel, cabins etc).

Should you enjoy your job? Sure, but almost every job becomes just that... a job. You need to put effort into rounding out your life, or even in retirement you’ll be in for a rude awakening.

+1 on the advice to make sure you stay physically healthy. Otherwise what is the point? Get to retire only to never enjoy it fully? Cut back the hours (but keep the gig!) if you need more time to maintain your health.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:05 pm Part of the problem I think is the meme that started going around about "find your passion" and "love your job and you'll never work a day in your life" and all of that. Young people seem to think that's the norm, rather than the great exception. If their job isn't constantly challenging and entertaining them, they think there's something wrong.
This has been called the biggest “lie” told to an entire generation (mellenials). Now many are saddled with unmarketable degrees, huge debt, and others with jobs they ironically... don’t actually enjoy (because passions you are forced to do in order to survive... don’t stay passions for long). Not a lie, I’ll tell my kids.

Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/22/stanfor ... ssful.html Solid quotes in there from Mark Cuban too.
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

bgf wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 pm
my two year old baby girl laughing and running to me (in that cute way that only toddlers run) when i get home from work is just indescribable. it won't be here long and i can't imagine being luckier. stress is real but so is love.

back to topic, people really need to give job descriptions. reading threads like this without actually knowing the job is incredibly annoying.
Plus one. Although my daughter is 4 and still freaks out when I get home. You have more time.

Thanks to OP for starting this online support group for those of us who are lucky enough to have this problem.
So much value in all of these responses. I don't have so many good role models for getting through the 30s like this...

Huge case of impostor syndrome and an attitude that "there, but for the grace of God, go I" keep me both grounded and simultaneously paranoid that it will all go away. These jointly conspire to keep me from actively making any kind of move away from what I'm doing.

We are thinking about an extended (like 3 week) vacation this summer to reset; I can't take this much time but can work out of megacorp offices abroad a bit while away.

Am also toying with taking a day a week to work from home, run or do something physical, and still be productive without the commute, in person infusion of office politics and other unpleasantries of the workplace. Weeks are better when I can find a Wednesday to do this.
goblue100

Post by goblue100 »

Sharpematt wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm I have a job that a like a decent amount but I often wonder if this is the peak happiness I can get out of life. I make about $160k and am in my early 30’s.

1) Sitting at a desk for 40 hours per week can often feel soul crushing. I’ve already done this for more than a decade and can’t imagine a lifetime spent for 40 working years plopped in front of computer monitors at a desk.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you and your wife are not at "peak happiness", its not because of your jobs.
Sharpematt wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm 2) I live in a city that is just okay, but don’t really love. I live here for the good job market but would ideally live in a number of other cities. Nashville looks like a place that fits my ideal lifestyle, but I know no one there.
No matter where you go, there you are. Sure, Nashville might be a great place but after some nights out its probably going to feel a lot like your current city.
Sharpematt wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm My question to you older folks with more life experience: should I keep grinding in my situation for longer towards an early retirement, or look to move on sooner rather than later?

My dilemma is that if I switched jobs even in the same career path I’d probably make half the money due to being in a good situation. I also don’t dislike my job, but wonder if grass is greener in a new city doing work with less anxiety. Do I just need to toughen up?
My advice as an old fart who's spent 35 years in front of a computer is to try to find the true source of your discontent. If I paraphrase your post in these terms:
I have a job that is ok and don't hate, I'm very highly compensated for what I do compared to others. I work only 40 hours a week. Sometimes I'm bored.

It seems to me that the job is not the issue. Maybe you need other challenges outside of work? Kids? Work with habitat for humanity?
To quote the movie city slickers, the secret to life is one thing. What that one thing is, is something you have to work out for yourself.
I will say being highly compensated should give you a lot of flexibility, and you are not facing anything like 40 more years in front of a monitor unless you start blowing money like there is no tomorrow.

Edit: Just realized this is a thread from last summer that got bumped. OP, any update?
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns
mancich

Post by mancich »

I'd gut it out for a while longer, pack away as much additional savings as you can, and start looking at alternatives immediately. Since you work an average 40 hour week, perhaps you can start a side business that can grow to replace a decent portion of your income. You have choices. Good luck.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

You may need to jump ship to help you appreciate what you have.

My husband left his cush 40 hr a week job because wasn’t inspired and wanted to do something different. He even left some stock options on the table to do so. At the time I told him it was a horrible idea but he wouldn’t listen to me.

He ended up HATING his new employer and finally realized how good he had it. The new job ended up being with horrible people, less money (didn’t perform well so no bonus) and longer hours. He found a new job and is back to a cush 40 hour a week job but it took a lot of effort and was also some luck.

Problem is that now he’s getting antsy again. Some people are just never happy.

I make 200k for my low stress job and couldn’t be happier. I focus on family, vacations, saving money, evenings, weekends etc and really enjoy my life. No way I would walk away from what I have. I realize how fortunate I am. To hear my husband express lack of content with his current job drives me crazy. I believe there is something else wrong and he’s disappointed with life. He actually thinks making close to 500k HHI in our 30s that we aren’t doing that well. He doesn’t get how unusual it is to buy a $4 million home and have millions in the bank to fund a lifestyle commensuarate with a house like that.

To sum it up I think you’re a fool if you walk away. What does your spouse think? My husband ignored me first time around and now he seems to actually be listening to me somewhat.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

beyou wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:47 pm My take is that a high paying 40 hr job will not last forever. Don’t agonize thinking about quitting. Think of this as a temporary ride, one that can’t possibly last as it’s too good to be true. Take the money while you can. The world is in constant change, a new boss, corporate merger or decline in appetite for your products, no matter how silly it may seem, can happen. And when it does, you’ll be ready financially and mentally to move on and handle it stress free.

Also note I was offered the chance to move to Nashville. Not as cheap as you think. You alluded to 100k homes, (10% of your million $ home). They have 800k homes in the most desirable areas, maybe 300k elsehwere. Traffic is supposed to be bad and getting worse. In the end, decided to stay near family in my HCOL area, and not follow my soul crushing employer to Nashville.
LCOL isn’t as cheap as HCOL people seem to think. It’s only cheap if you want to live in a far out suburb or not as good part of town. If you want to move to a walkable close in part of Nashville you’ll still need to spend a good bit. Maybe 500-600k and you’ll get a larger home with nicer finishes. But will you find a 100-200k home in Nashville you want? No. I realize this is a lot less expensive but it’s not if it requires you to have 2 cars and someone has to quit their job.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

mrspock wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:01 am
This has been called the biggest “lie” told to an entire generation (mellenials). Now many are saddled with unmarketable degrees, huge debt, and others with jobs they ironically... don’t actually enjoy (because passions you are forced to do in order to survive... don’t stay passions for long). Not a lie, I’ll tell my kids.

Link: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/22/stanfor ... ssful.html Solid quotes in there from Mark Cuban too.
I agree the problem is Going to school for a "hobby" vs a "Career". A hobby is one which you pay for and career pays you.

I cannot fathom making that much, as a teacher with almost 20 years experience I am still not at my top step due to changing school districts where I teach. And I will never be making that much, it just comes with my "career" that most people see as a hobby lol.
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Leaving is a good idea when you have enough that you don't need another job or you have another job lined up that you think you may enjoy more, but beware. The next job could easily be worse. In my 40s, I found myself at the same place. I had a well paying 40-hr/wk job that I found soul crushing, so I started looking around. I talked to everyone in my industry about their jobs. I interviewed. I realized everyone else worked way more hours and some for far less pay. People hated their bosses, their office politics, their commute, etc. I realized that well-paying 40-hr/wk jobs are in short supply. Instead of quitting or changing jobs, I decided to suck it up, save more, and retire early. Look around and see if there's something else you'd rather do. You may discover that you have it good.

Thanks to the poster who posted The Algebra of Happiness. OP, if you haven't viewed it, it's some of the best life advice ever.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

The good news is that with 2MM at 30, 40 years of work will not be required unless you have some burning desire to leave a $20 million estate endowment to your favorite charity, or the kids you haven't had yet.

Agree with others who question why you need to sit at a desk for 40 hours. If you just dont like hte job look for another one. Ive worked 20+ in tech and while its a "desk job" I rarely ever sit at a desk all day. Lots of meetings, travel, moving from project to project, old boss to new boss, job to job.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

Sharpematt wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm I have a job that a like a decent amount but I often wonder if this is the peak happiness I can get out of life. I make about $160k and am in my early 30’s. My wife and I have around $2 million between investments and our house. Between our careers and investment income we make $260k annually with no kids. On paper this should be very good with only a bachelors degree, but a few issues keep creeping up to the surface:

2) I live in a city that is just okay, but don’t really love. I live here for the good job market but would ideally live in a number of other cities. Nashville looks like a place that fits my ideal lifestyle, but I know no one there.

My question to you older folks with more life experience: should I keep grinding in my situation for longer towards an early retirement, or look to move on sooner rather than later?

I fail to understand how a 40hr/wk desk job that pays $160K/yr could ever be soul crushing. Boring, yes, but not soul crushing. I would ride that gravy train as long as possible. If you keep expenses low, continue to invest and the market does OK, you will be worth $5MM+ in your early 40's.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I know it feels risky to think about leaving a job that pays so well. But we only have one life. If it’s truly soul-crushing, why not quit and take 6 months off to figure out what you want to do with your life.

You’re 3/4 of the way towards “winning the game”. You could make $50k with a rewarding career and still have enough money to retire plenty early.
fourkids

Post by fourkids »

Both you and wife ask for a sabbatical- 3 or 6 months. If that's not possible, take more vacation- ask for an extra week or 2 unpaid. Then go on a 2-3 week vacation. 1 week isn't enough to fully unwind and recharge.
Do this for a year or 2 and see if it helps before giving up a well paying job.

or see if you can drop down to 4 days/week- work just enough to keep health benefits.

I suggest trying many options before quitting entirely.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

First, this is a resurrected old thread from six months ago. I suspect the OP has either made peace with his situation or changed it already.

But second, I do like the posts that have pointed out the misleading fantasy of the "job you love so much you never 'work' a day in your life'". But you shouldn't flat-out hate your job either. There is some fantastic advice in a commencement speech by Brendan Leonard. I'll excerpt a bit here, where he talks about the idea that you should "follow your passion"...
I’m self-employed, which means I work for myself and I do what I love, and I’m here to tell you, that saying is a load of crap. Work is work. If it wasn’t work, it would be called fun. Even your dream job is still a job. If you enjoy about 30 percent of your work, and you can tolerate the other 70 percent, I think you’ve beaten the game. I’ve created my own dream job, and I can tell you, I only like about 30 percent of it.
Third, if the OP still is thinking about moving the Nashville but worried about not knowing anyone there... well consider me someone you know! Feel free IM me with any questions I can help you with. (That goes for any fellow Bogleheads curious about moving or vacationing in Music City, by the way.)
Stay on target...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

mrspock wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:01 am

Ding ding ding. I hire a lot of very recent grads, this is the first thing I tell them. I have a sister who received a full-ride academic scholarship to UCLA and used it to get a degree in "Western Musicology" (yes, that's a real thing). Because of the cost of room and board, she actually graduated with staggering debt. She then doubled down with an MA from Oxford, in something equally ridiculous, then went and got another MA at NYU in something involving film. Since then she's gone to culinary school, beauty school, tried to become a "food stylist", been a freelance writer for music and film magazines, actually started a PhD in library science at UNC before dropping out like 2 semesters in, and now is on her second coding boot camp. She's 35, with a mind-numbing amount of student debt, barely able to keep food in her mouth making $12/hr working at a boutique chocolatier, and just beginning to realize that "chasing her passion" was a road to being completely broke and depressed. Thing is she is brilliant and has been amazing at all of these things she's tried - the list of entities she's worked for are the "whos who" in the entertainment, fashion, and culinary industries - but once the novelty wears off she finds she hates them. She's now at least realized she can make a living if she learns to code, but even now, she is turning down opportunities for good jobs because she isn't "passionate" about the companies.

Very few people truly enjoy their jobs; they are a means to an end. They allow you to find your purpose and have the resources to develop a satisfying life outside the office. The sooner you realize that, the better.

I've been given the freedom by the largest company in my global industry to basically create my dream job. Still, there are entire months where I dislike my job (like clockwork, every July and August, right before our huge annual conference) and 90% of the time I'd rather be doing something else. But, most people aren't a fortunate as I.