When is leaving your job that pays well a good idea?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sharpematt

When is leaving your job that pays well a good idea?

Post by Sharpematt » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm

I have a job that a like a decent amount but I often wonder if this is the peak happiness I can get out of life. I make about $160k and am in my early 30’s. My wife and I have around $2 million between investments and our house. Between our careers and investment income we make $260k annually with no kids. On paper this should be very good with only a bachelors degree, but a few issues keep creeping up to the surface:

1) Sitting at a desk for 40 hours per week can often feel soul crushing. I’ve already done this for more than a decade and can’t imagine a lifetime spent for 40 working years plopped in front of computer monitors at a desk.

2) I live in a city that is just okay, but don’t really love. I live here for the good job market but would ideally live in a number of other cities. Nashville looks like a place that fits my ideal lifestyle, but I know no one there.

My question to you older folks with more life experience: should I keep grinding in my situation for longer towards an early retirement, or look to move on sooner rather than later?

My dilemma is that if I switched jobs even in the same career path I’d probably make half the money due to being in a good situation. I also don’t dislike my job, but wonder if grass is greener in a new city doing work with less anxiety. Do I just need to toughen up?

KlangFool

Re: When is leaving your job that pays well a good idea?

Post by KlangFool » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Sharpematt wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:53 pm
I have a job that a like a decent amount but I often wonder if this is the peak happiness I can get out of life. I make about $160k and am in my early 30’s. My wife and I have around $2 million between investments and our house. Between our careers and investment income we make $260k annually with no kids. On paper this should be very good with only a bachelors degree, but a few issues keep creeping up to the surface:

1) Sitting at a desk for 40 hours per week can often feel soul crushing. I’ve already done this for more than a decade and can’t imagine a lifetime spent for 40 working years plopped in front of computer monitors at a desk.

2) I live in a city that is just okay, but don’t really love. I live here for the good job market but would ideally live in a number of other cities. Nashville looks like a place that fits my ideal lifestyle, but I know no one there.

My question to you older folks with more life experience: should I keep grinding in my situation for longer towards an early retirement, or look to move on sooner rather than later?

My dilemma is that if I switched jobs even in the same career path I’d probably make half the money due to being in a good situation. I also don’t dislike my job, but wonder if grass is greener in a new city doing work with less anxiety. Do I just need to toughen up?
Sharpematt,

1) Do not count your house at all. What is the amount without your house?

2) Can your investment generate the other 80K? Or, make up the difference?

KlangFool

Socrates28

just curious: what do you do for a living

Post by Socrates28 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:16 pm

$160,000, young and just a bachelors degree....I want to tell me son

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 pm

I’m starting to see a trend in early 30s individuals who submit questions such as this, heck I know for a fact I have submitted at least two over this topic. Is this something everyone 30 year old goes through, the “is this it” phase? I’m in a similar situation, besides the amazing pay (mine is good, but good grief you are banking!). Below is an interesting read about the topic:
https://www.thesimpledollar.com/when-yo ... -a-change/

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:42 pm

Early 30's and $2M+ net worth? Wow, kudos to you. Truly, nice work, I'm impressed by the position you've put yourselves in.

"Soul Crushing." Your words. That is not sustainable. I'd start paving my way out. I understand all too well your sentiments. Money is not everything, and it sure won't be how you judge your life at the end.

"The mountains are calling, and I must go." John Muir.

28fe6

Post by 28fe6 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 pm

I'm in a similar situation of having a soul crushing job, except without the high pay, and I work more hours, and have about 1/10th the investments.

Get a hobby.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Curious what you’re invested in. Your language of including “investment income” in your total annual income is interesting. If equity growth, I hope you understand that the last 10 years were abnormal :).

Congrats on your success. Depending on your lifestyle needs I think you could do it if it’ll make you happier.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:10 pm

In the tech sector at least, nobody sits at their desks all day crunching out work long term. That's really not sustainable, that's torture.

I'd suggest taking a long lunch and doing some kind of physical activity. (I go on a bike ride.) Coffee breaks are common. Run errands. Attend meetings in person vs. calling in. Work from home once in a while for a change of scenery. If you get caught up, run to the convenience store for a treat.

Just some ideas that might change your outlook.

ladders11

Post by ladders11 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm

I would be retired if I had $2 million.

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:11 pm
Sharpematt wrote:

Sharpematt,

KlangFool
Do not count house? What if its a house somewhere like San Francisco area and OP fetches 1MM for it then can buy exact same type/size house in Nashville for 10% of that while having the other remaining 900k available for investments.

Do you really think that is the same as not having the 1MM house owned outright? Once again person A has 2MM in assets including a 1MM house, person B has 1MM in assets and no house. After person A moves to Nashville now has a 100k home and 1.9MM in a bogleheads 3 fund portfolio while person B either gets a mortgage for the 100k house or 900k remaining for investments. Therefore your arguments of not including primary house in NW makes no sense at all.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 am

njdealguy wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:20 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:11 pm
Sharpematt wrote:

Sharpematt,

KlangFool
Do not count house? What if its a house somewhere like San Francisco area and OP fetches 1MM for it then can buy exact same type/size house in Nashville for 10% of that while having the other remaining 900k available for investments.

Do you really think that is the same as not having the 1MM house owned outright? Once again person A has 2MM in assets including a 1MM house, person B has 1MM in assets and no house. After person A moves to Nashville now has a 100k home and 1.9MM in a bogleheads 3 fund portfolio while person B either gets a mortgage for the 100k house or 900k remaining for investments. Therefore your arguments of not including primary house in NW makes no sense at all.
It makes perfect sense. The house value only matters when you sell.

KlangFool

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:16 am

Wow funny you mention this because I have basically the same situation. My net worth is lower but income in the same range and I’m 31.

I wouldn’t describe my work as soul crushing, more like soul less, I’m just bored with it. I think it has to do more with my team’s direction and the way we are taking on projects. In the past my projects were exciting team based efforts but the focus has shifted to doing cookie cutter work and the team doesn’t work together as much.

The only reason I’m Hesitant to leave is because right now I’m working about 30 hrs per week and can work from home whenever I don’t have meetings. I’m thinking of starting some sort of business on the side since I wouldn’t have to take the risk of losing my primary income stream to do so, but at the same time, I have offers from other companies for more than I make now, and these are companies I work with everyday so I know I’d be happier at some of them than I am at my current company, but I’d have to work 40-50 hours.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:22 am

I've been in the same boat (only with a much lower net worth). Is your job truly soul crushing? If that accurately describes your work then you need to make a plan now.

I had a job so stressful that it manifested itself physically - migraines, illness, etc. And I'm a relatively fit 36 year old. No amount of money in the world is worth it for a job like that

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:23 am

ladders11 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm
Likewise

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 am

BradJ wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 pm
I’m starting to see a trend in early 30s individuals who submit questions such as this, heck I know for a fact I have submitted at least two over this topic. Is this something everyone 30 year old goes through, the “is this it” phase? I’m in a similar situation, besides the amazing pay (mine is good, but good grief you are banking!). Below is an interesting read about the topic:
Speaking for myself here, but yes (I'm 36). Personally I think a big part is that when you're building your career in your mid to late 20s, you still think you have all the time in the world to change paths. At that time a lot of peers are changing careers, going back to school, etc.

The closer you get to 40 you realize that time is starting to run out and if you want to make a change you need to start planning it now

GoofyOne

Post by GoofyOne » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:40 am

BradJ wrote:
Several studies have been done on the trend, similar to a mid-life crisis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-life_crisis

Beach

Post by Beach » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:53 am

My college buddy is in your same boat. Director level, making really good money, no kids and decided to take a sabbatical. Now he is just goofing off for 6 months resetting himself.

I hope it works out for him, you may want to see if your employer might allow you an extended time off (perhaps unpaid) to help you reset yourself.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:56 am

I had an early thirties crisis too. It's very common. I took some time off to go on a long backpacking trip, did some navel gazing, got divorced, started playing league tennis, got remarried. Those things mostly cured me. Having kids a few years later completed the cure. When I emerged from the crisis, I was very glad I had not quit the mostly cushy, though sometimes boring, job that I thought (wrongly, it turns out) had been the source of my ennui. So my advice: Take some time to really examine your life. Your job dis-satisfaction may be a symptom, not the cause, of your unhappiness. And wherever you go, there you are (so moving to a new city likely won't fix anything).

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:02 am

If it's affecting your mental and physical health then come up with a plan. It's not worth it. You only have one life.

surfinagin

Post by surfinagin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:08 am

Only work a 40hr week for 160K? That's a lot of free time to take advantage of and decompress. I was doing 60-70hrs or more. A week 'vacation' req'd working remote approx 20hr, and still having to catch up when return. The job was very stressful, but left due to the long hrs and inability to disengage. If it was 40hr weeks, could have managed.

Only you can determine what is tolerable.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:15 am

surfinagin wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:08 am
Only work a 40hr week for 160K? That's a lot of free time to take advantage of and decompress. I was doing 60-70hrs or more. A week 'vacation' req'd working remote approx 20hr, and still having to catch up when return. The job was very stressful, but left due to the long hrs and inability to disengage. If it was 40hr weeks, could have managed.

Only you can determine what is tolerable.
There are plenty of companies out there that have good management, work efficiently, and pay their employees based on results that can be achieved in a reasonable amount of time. Most people’s jobs don’t require working 40 hours per week or 60 or 80. The tasks people take on swell to fill the time rather than focusing on the minimal viable product. And there are many people who don’t know how to manage up and push back when they are asked to do something that does not drive results, so they do a lot of meaningless work

I’m lucky that I work in an environment where the impact of my work is valued more than the amount of time it takes to build it

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:36 am

I hit my "crisis" at age 34, actually a year or two prior, but at that age I did something about it.

However, I was in a dead end job and miserable. Sunday nights was an unpleasant time as the realization that in 12 hours I would be unfulfilled and underpaid.

Made a change, as I had been with the same company for 13 years. Was immediately in a situation in which I had to succeed or face failure and worked my tail off. One of the best moves in my life (top 3). Twenty eight years later I am still there and winding it down. Sort of have a similar situation...have I accomplished "enough"? Have I made a difference? Midway thru the 4th quarter (to use a sports analogy) with the clock ticking.

Here is the deal...you and wife are in a great financial situation. Now, what do you really want to do when you grow up?

Ed

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 am

Years ago I worked in a "consulting-like" business with high pressure, lots of travel, and feast or famine revenue distribution. The pay was very good.

Around the early to mid-thirties age spot, you started to hear people say that maybe they'd get off the treadmill and find a job at a client company away from the big cities and be able to work less hard, with less stress.

The fellow that I worked for made an observation about this syndrome. He noted that the idea that other people worked less hard than we did seemed incorrect. If you looked closely at the people who you envisioned yourself becoming by making a move, they worked just as long and hard as you did. The only difference was that they earned less money.

I'd be cautious about making a move. The only thing that might give me pause is if I concluded that my compensation level was unsustainable, and made me a target for a layoff or other "rif".

Good luck.

jminv

Post by jminv » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:06 am

I was in a similar situation to you at the same age. The differences were that my job extremely stressful and all consuming (not just 40 hours a week but every day of the week, all day long) while making having a family difficult due to the nature of the work. The positives were being a high paid and rich (for a 30 year old) with a lot of responsibilities, authority, employees, and travel. The positives didn't outweight the negatives, though, and I realized that if I continued I would be more unhappy as time went on and regret not leaving it all behind. I did that and 5 years later I can look back on success breaking into the sector I was interested in followed now by temporarily early retirement by choice of course, it's simliar to when I was 30. I'll end up doing something again but have no financial reason to do so. I think even if you leave now the odds are that you might feel the same way again later. That's not a reason not to quit of course, I am much happier not being in the job I was in while I was when I was 30 but my interests do evolve over time. If you want to quit, you should. You only live once and in your case, you're financially secure which will let you take the risks you want.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:30 am

I'm pretty much in your same situation except I don't really hate my job. On a scale of 1-10 its probably a 7 which I can easily tolerate due to the lifestyle I can have out of work. We recently upgraded our lifestyle with a much much better house and coming home is like going on vacation. Many of my friends who work for the same company who don't have good hobbies outside of work and live in small apartments in the city ended up quitting or taking extended leaves.

MJW

Post by MJW » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:03 pm

In my case being unhappy wasn’t enough on its own for me to make a change, but it was the difference maker when it came to deciding whether I would accept certain changes that were taking place at the company. My employer was purchased by a public company. My department in particular was dramatically affected by this. I was losing more and more of my autonomy and the career trajectory I was on when it was a privately-owned midsized company came to a grinding halt. My team and I were being set up to fail and I was almost certainly going to lose my best direct report over it (she ended up leaving six weeks after I did). The fact that I was already unhappy made leaving an easier decision.

tampaite

Post by tampaite » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Sharpematt wrote:

This is unscientific but maybe helpful. :D

Given that you are sitting at your desk for 40 hours, What was your Body mass index (BMI) the day when you joined the job a decade ago vs today?

Is it up or down or just there about.

if its down then time to quit and start planning. If it's up, i mean really up, you need to quit tomorrow.

BJJ nerd

Post by BJJ nerd » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm

tampaite wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm
Sharpematt wrote:

This is unscientific but maybe helpful. :D

Given that you are sitting at your desk for 40 hours, What was your Body mass index (BMI) the day when you joined the job a decade ago vs today?

Is it up or down or just there about.

if its down then time to quit and start planning. If it's up, i mean really up, you need to quit tomorrow.
Or he just needs to pursue a more active lifestyle and take up a few extra hobbies. 40 hours a week should allow for ample work-life balance, particularly with no kids.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:13 pm

ladders11 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm
At age 30? You're dreaming. A safe withdrawal rate at that age would probably not be more that 3%, so 60k a year for two (not sure if kids are involved).
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:15 pm

What sort of company is it? Large or Mega? You might be able to change course in place. At about your age I became interested in software and transitioned over the next several years (including an MSCS) from electronics to software engineering.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:59 pm

I just turned 35 and do find myself in a somewhat similiar situation. 35.. wow thats sounds old. I am chosing to work 6/7 days a week 10 to 13 hr days.. a lot of down time though.. job is flexible.. plenty of autonomy.. time to take breaks.. even some gym time during work hrs run errands. Etc. weekends are really 2 or 3 hrs of work for 10 to 12 hrs payday.. take 4 hrs lunch breaks on weekend not tied to a desk all day.. some days can be stressful, but thats a given with any gig.. many more routine low stress days than the stressful ones.. Making $ 220 to $ 250k a year. I cant take real vacations.. just a day or 2 off here and there.. thats seems to be the main reason i am.getting burnt.. to preserve the gig, i cant take long vacations.. Similiar thoughts hit me sometimes. " is this it? " Is that all I am" "Is my life defined by this? " " What am I missing out on?" " Should I be traveling and seeing the world, I am not getting any younger" Will i regret working 70 to 80 hrs a week when i am older? I have missed many family gatherings.. have felt guilty for not being home enough with the kids.. These thoughts have been with me for the 8 or so years yet I continue to grind.. I figured gona do this till I am 40 and then switch to a 30 hrs a week lifestyle with much more frequent vacations.. own 400k home.. 100k investment property.. and approx $450k in savings. Live way below my means.. annual expenses approx $70 to $ 80k year.. 2 kids.. and a stay at home wifey.. i plan to grind it out to 40 and then turn it down several notches.. another 5 yrs a so, I hope to be financually secure enough.. i never set out to be rich, and still dont care to be.. just want to be free and reasonably comfortable. I want to milk my current position as much as possible as I know another one wont be waiting for me if its gone or if I leave. So i keep telling myself grind it to 40.. and other days I wonder if I am doing the right thing at all..

denovo

Post by denovo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:05 pm

Sharpematt wrote:

What do you do?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:19 pm

BradJ wrote:
Good article, thank you.
BJJ nerd wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm
Or he just needs to pursue a more active lifestyle and take up a few extra hobbies. 40 hours a week should allow for ample work-life balance, particularly with no kids.
Yep. If this thread isn't an example of how good we have it in America, then I don't know what is.

Larry2623

Post by Larry2623 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:28 pm

I would stop looking at it in the longterm. Just stay with it until 40 and if you keep doing what you have been doing you should be able to retire or take a fun job. Not so bad when you only have 6-8 years to go...

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:35 pm

Texanbybirth wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:19 pm
If this thread isn't an example of how good we have it in America, then I don't know what is.
+99999999999999999999 :sharebeer

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:41 pm

greg24 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:35 pm
Texanbybirth wrote:
If this thread isn't an example of how good we have it in America, then I don't know what is.
I think this rings true right at 5 PM, but becomes harder and harder to realize right at 8:01 AM.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:43 pm

greg24 wrote:
Texanbybirth wrote:
Good as a whole, sure. But don't let the big picture obscure that there are variations, and what one person finds acceptable, another may not.

DoctorStrange

Post by DoctorStrange » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:00 pm

I am in a similar situation: 34 years old, single no kids, $850k net worth, do not own a home or mortgage (currently renting), annual salary $160K in HCOL area.

With a $2M net worth I would have quit my job yesterday. I currently work in tech and stare at a computer screen for 8 hours a day. I'm good at what at do but it's not exciting, but "hey at least it pays well." It used to be exciting to me in my early to late 20s when I was working my ass off and climbing the ladder. Now I just don't care as much so my daily struggle is, "Do I keep doing this or do I pursue something else that I actually enjoy, have more freedom, and make much less?"

Leaning towards the latter but I think I may hold out until I hit that $1M threshold for psychological purposes (knowing full well it will likely dip below that before it eventually goes over again).

So I guess my advice is: try something new. You're in a very privileged position and can take the risk. Your happiness, comfort and mental health are at stake - it's worth it. That's what I would do in your position.

HornedToad

Post by HornedToad » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Keenobserver wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:59 pm
I just turned 35 and do find myself in a somewhat similiar situation. 35.. wow thats sounds old. I am chosing to work 6/7 days a week 10 to 13 hr days.. a lot of down time though.. job is flexible.. plenty of autonomy.. time to take breaks.. even some gym time during work hrs run errands. Etc. weekends are really 2 or 3 hrs of work for 10 to 12 hrs payday.. take 4 hrs lunch breaks on weekend not tied to a desk all day.. some days can be stressful, but thats a given with any gig.. many more routine low stress days than the stressful ones.. Making $ 220 to $ 250k a year. I cant take real vacations.. just a day or 2 off here and there.. thats seems to be the main reason i am.getting burnt.. to preserve the gig, i cant take long vacations.. Similiar thoughts hit me sometimes. " is this it? " Is that all I am" "Is my life defined by this? " " What am I missing out on?" " Should I be traveling and seeing the world, I am not getting any younger" Will i regret working 70 to 80 hrs a week when i am older? I have missed many family gatherings.. have felt guilty for not being home enough with the kids.. These thoughts have been with me for the 8 or so years yet I continue to grind.. I figured gona do this till I am 40 and then switch to a 30 hrs a week lifestyle with much more frequent vacations.. own 400k home.. 100k investment property.. and approx $450k in savings. Live way below my means.. annual expenses approx $70 to $ 80k year.. 2 kids.. and a stay at home wifey.. i plan to grind it out to 40 and then turn it down several notches.. another 5 yrs a so, I hope to be financually secure enough.. i never set out to be rich, and still dont care to be.. just want to be free and reasonably comfortable. I want to milk my current position as much as possible as I know another one wont be waiting for me if its gone or if I leave. So i keep telling myself grind it to 40.. and other days I wonder if I am doing the right thing at all..
I think your work is grinding you down and you should consider taking a break/switching as the wall of text is hard to read and shows signs of the exhaustion you're probably under.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:19 pm

I'd suggest first a leave of absence or at least a long vacation. If you have a good paying job that you like OK I'd be hesitant to Chuck it before all attempts to make it work are explored.

At the same time start putting feelers out there job wise to see what else is out there.

I recall I felt the same way early 30s. I felt like life was passing me by and I was missing something. After a 5 month severance / time off I felt a little differently. What you may find is you have to have a purpose and just traveling and or putting around doesn't fill it. Also.had a friend who after 20 years took about 6 months to a year. Got a pilots license. Later went back to same job somewhat recharged and had a new hobby which he still enjoys.

I think it feels a little different if you are single or even married with no kids. Once you have a family a career becomes a means to an end, and often you become comfortable with that. As long as you are looking for your job to be a source of self actualization chances are you will stay restless.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:08 pm

Not sure what is going on with young people but the only thing some keep stating is dreaming of retirement at an early age.. This may have worked for the few that write blogs about it. But for many it will not. There are just to many expenses that you have no idea of when someone retires early. The biggest one I think of is health insurance.

So, I say if you enjoy your job work hard save as much as you can then maybe look into retirement in the future. If you don't care for your job take a lower paying job with the same company. Or adjust your expenses and find another company paying less but less stress.

Not sure why people think they can't work and enjoy life at the same time. When you have money and don't worry about bills you can have fun spending the money on things you enjoy doing.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:06 pm

When I was in my 20s, I was getting business degrees and moving up the corporate ladder. I was having similar thoughts as you where the job was fine but I couldn’t imagine doing it for many years to come. I took a break from working, went traveling for a few months, and reset my life. I’ve have been teaching for the past 15 years. Some days are tough but the work is much more meaningful and interesting to me and I’m far happier now. The time off during the summers has been great too, particularly now that I’m a dad.

I made the change without the safety net that your savings offer, though I was a little bit younger. Your high net worth at a relatively young age gives you options. I would suggest exploring what you might want to do next with your life before quitting a well-paying job and just moving to some city that seems intriguing. Once you have figured out what the next chapter for you is going to be, work toward making it happen. Hopefully you can find more happiness in the years ahead.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Sharpematt wrote:
My question to you older folks with more life experience: should I keep grinding in my situation for longer towards an early retirement, or look to move on sooner rather than later? ...
Those two words - "soul crushing" - should be enough to cause you to begin looking around for new work sooner rather than later - like NOW.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm 53. I was in a similar situation around age 32, as an engineer, making big bucks for the time. A management position opened up, and I jumped into that. That kept me interested for 3-4 years, then I decided to relocate and moved back into a technical position at the same company, but 400 miles away.

That kept me motivated for about 3 years. At that point, I jumped ship to another company. Best move I ever made.

Been happy there for 15+ years now, but I burned out on managing again about 5 years ago, so I switched back to pure tech.

Now I'm burned out again. This time I'm ready to pull the plug.

My point is, you are experiencing a normal feeling. IMO, you should try something else. But don't expect that to make you happy forever either.

I think it's built into our DNA.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

Point

Post by Point » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:37 pm

40 hours a week? You have a light load. Work is not everything. It doesn’t define you. It’s a means to an end, and a way to fund your lifestyle in the interim. Enjoy the people you work with, help them in ways that improve their lives. Work out. Plan vacations and enjoy them. See the country. Help out in the community. Give to a good cause. Work part time in a soup kitchen. You’ve been given a gift. Give back.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Sharpematt wrote:
My experience is that the longer you wait the harder it is going to be to change. It's much easier to make life changes in your 30's when you're still young and able. Wait until you get into your 40's and begin to have real physical ailments. Then you'll end up scared to move on because of health insurance or the quality of medical care where you want to move to. It becomes a real trap.

IMO, the 30's are the best time to make these changes. You have enough money to do the things you want, have your career started, but are also young enough to live like a young person. Once you move past 40 that equation starts to change.

Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:36 am

HornedToad wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:06 pm
Keenobserver wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:59 pm
I think your work is grinding you down and you should consider taking a break/switching as the wall of text is hard to read and shows signs of the exhaustion you're probably under.
[/quote

Lol you might be right. Wrote that on my way to somehing from my phone. Just as I am writing this.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:43 am

greg24 wrote:
Texanbybirth wrote:
Agreed.

OP needs a reality check.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:52 am

Sharpematt wrote:

What do you do outside of work?? Hobbies or other interests?

eg1

Post by eg1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:36 am

Very interesting to read that feeling this way is common for other 30 year olds - I am mid thirties, net worth not as high as you but way ahead of the curve in terms of retirement savings and close to 7 figure net worth if you include the house. How I feel about my job sounds similar to you. Every time I sit down and think about taking a risk to change companies or careers I realize that I have it really good and would be a fool to jump ship at this point in my life. I am not one of those people that defines themselves with what they do. To me work is a means to pay for all the fun things I can do outside of work. Do you have any hobbies? With working only 40 hours and no kids you should be able pursue numerous things outside of work that will give you much more life satisfaction then getting yourself in a more stressful job in my opinion. I don't know where I saw this quote but it rings true "You either have a stressful job or a boring job". I will take a boring job every time.