Croatia or Mallorca?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Colorado13

Croatia or Mallorca?

Post by Colorado13 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:04 pm

Thanks to Bogleheads, I have several 3% PenFed CDs that will mature later this year. Some of the proceeds will be used for a spring or fall 2019 vacation and the debate is between Mallorca and Croatia.

Interests are hiking, kayaking, walking along the beach, and site seeing (preferably while hiking, not as interested in museums/indoor activities.) I'm leaning toward Mallorca although Croatia is also on the bucket list. My research (mostly TripAdvisor, Fodor's and Google) suggests that I can't go wrong with either location. I would love to hear from those of you who have been to both places.

gamboolman

Re: Croatia or Mallorca?

Post by gamboolman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:20 am

We have been to Mallorca only
Love it
You have good “problem”

rookonaut

Post by rookonaut » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:51 am

Have been to both places and you can't really go wrong with either.

Mallorca is perfect for hiking, biking, walking on the beaches and Palma is a very nice place for some sight seeing and great food.

Croatia is perfect for swimming, hiking in the national parks (been to Paklenica, Krka, Plitvice) and i.e. Zadar is a nice place to visit.
Only thing to consider: in Croatia a lot of beaches are stony beaches, so you maybe have to look for sandy beaches.

I cannot judge the kayaking-part, but I'm sure both places are very well suited for it.

WVbaron

Post by WVbaron » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:29 am

I am literally reading this while sitting by the pool at the Gran Melia Victoria in Mallorca so felt it was karma to respond...

I have been an expat living in europe for the past 5.5 yrs and 38 yrs old. Croatia is my favorite holiday destination in Europe and have been twice. Split and Dub have easy airports to access and quick transport links to the city cente. Both cities have incredible culture, food, some hiking oppts, and lots of water sports, kayaking, etc.

There are not enough words to describe the island of Hvar and although a bit pricey, is absolutely incredible. You can explore the island, do some hiking, do boat tours to the blue lagoon, etc, etc, etc. Brac island is also possible as a quick day trip.

This is my first time to Palma Mallorca and it has been nice so far. This hotel is great and there are some nice restaurants...I’m trying out Marc Fosh tomorrow. Overall, it is a nice break to chill and relax for a week but not as much to do/sight see/etc as parts of Croatia.

As a previous person said...good problem to have. Best of luck on your research and happy to help if you want to PM me. Enjoy your trip!

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback! It's helpful to read positive reviews of both locations. I hope WVbaron is enjoying sitting by the pool. :-)

smudge

Post by smudge » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:05 pm

Croatia , specifically, all of Dalmatia!

MAJIC9

Post by MAJIC9 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:09 am

smudge wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:05 pm
Croatia , specifically, all of Dalmatia!
+1000 ;)

But both are great.... so why not both.. (and if you don't have time there's always next year..)

Always passive

Post by Always passive » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:16 am

apples and oranges