Learning to Draw-Online course?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Buster65

Learning to Draw-Online course?

Post by Buster65 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Hello I'm interested in learning how to draw. I'm a beginner. Are their any on-line courses that folks have used that they would recommend?

unclescrooge

Re: Learning to Draw-Online course?

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:12 pm

Buy a few learn-to-draw books on Amazon and learn by practising your drawing. Commit to 30 min a day and you'll be much better in a year.

No need to do anything else.

brandy

Post by brandy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:26 pm

WetCanvas has a wonderful free course, with help, in the DRAWING AND SKETCHING forum at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19
in the sub-forum area is the CLASSROOM. It starts with the basics and via various lessons, goes in several directions and levels. Overview: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316196
Basic 101: Class1 - Drawing Basics is at http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597681 and is I think pretty much the way each class is handled: Instructor and class presentation. Students do the work and upload it to the site for comments and critique.

When/if you decide to do more, you'll find about every medium there, with challenges and some guidance or help along your way.
I hope you join us.

rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Use this book...."Drawing on the right side of the brain"...Betty Edwards

It has been around for years and it works...if you apply yourself as Uncle scrooge suggests...helped me 35 years ago. The book is still excellent.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:48 pm

I bought a course from Udemey (I think that's hell it's spelled) a few months ago. it was a half price special, $5 or $6.

I was immediately disappointed that the instructor spoke Spanish! But it was subtitled in English.

I gave it a go. I advanced mush further faster than I ever did from a book.

Once the weather turned nice here, I stopped at about 3/4 of the way through. I'm curious to see how fast I can get up to speed again in the Fall.

Practice is definitely the key. But seeing some one actually move their hands as the drew was helpful to me.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 pm

rxtra8 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:40 pm

It has been around for years and it works...if you apply yourself as Uncle scrooge suggests...helped me 35 years ago. The book is still excellent.
Agree about this one. No matter how one starts out with basic drawing, one will want/need to read this book to learn the "perceptual" skills of drawing.

Also, an online version is at http://drawright.com/merch-horizon/draw ... confidence
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Fallible wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 pm
rxtra8 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:40 pm

Agree about this one. No matter how one starts out with basic drawing, one will want/need to read this book to learn the "perceptual" skills of drawing.

Also, an online version is at http://drawright.com/merch-horizon/draw ... confidence
5-day workshops are also given by, I believe, the son of the author. The workshops are offered in major US and European cities. Not cheap, but not outrageous. I wanted to take it this year, but the dates conflicted with my being out of state. I've read the book, and it still stands the test of time.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

njay73

Post by njay73 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:38 pm

arttutor.com :
they are very affordable, monthy suscription or yearly, cancel anytime. They have clourses/classed from beginer to advance level. Check their ytube channel to get a feel.

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:23 pm

I haven’t checked but I would guess that there are some good free tutorials by talented artists on YouTube as well.
27. Always learning.