2016 Volvo XC90

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
conlaw1234

2016 Volvo XC90

Post by conlaw1234 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:22 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm considering buying a 2016 Volvo XC90 T5. It has only 500 miles on it and I'm buying it from the dealer. It was used as a test drive vehicle and nothing else. Does anyone own one and if yes, do you recommend it? Are there issues with this model? Any other input is appreciated.

A few additions to my original post:

The car does contain upgrades and true car values the car at about $51k. I'm trying to get it down to $40k (maximum), but it is listed at $44k.
Spark plugs were replaced according to Car Fax report
It's upgraded for the convenience package and heads-up display.
Warranty is the regular warranty that comes on new vehicles. My understanding is that it'll begin when I purchase the car but I'll double check this.
Last edited by conlaw1234 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunny_socal

Re: 2016 Volvo XC90

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:36 pm

I own a 2018 XC90 T6, zero issues with it so far. Best vehicle we've ever owned :mrgreen:

Things that I know about the 2016 model listed below. Pretty much all of them are covered via "tech journals" (ie. bug reports) and can be fixed by your dealer should you encounter them. The 2016 was a "first year" model and many owners paid for it by being guinea pigs. The problems have been sorted out, let's make sure you're not the one wasting time going through them again! :beer There is nothing fundamentally different between the 2016 and 2018 models except the fixes are part of the production process on the newer models.

[1] Leaking sun/moon roof. You won't know until it rains
[2] Battery drain caused by faulty "kick" sensor in rear tail gate. Ask them to check on this, otherwise you may end up with a dead vehicle in the morning.
[3] Squeaky brakes. Make sure to bed in your brakes when you first get the vehicle and you shouldn't have issues, but they'll replace the pads or rotors should you encounter this.
[4] Android Auto was not supported when the 2016 first rolled out but these days it's available as a dealer-installed feature. They add a USB port. If the vehicle was sold with the feature you can likely get it for free
[5] Bad Spark Plugs. Make sure you get them updated to the latest version before taking ownership of the vehicle. This is a big one - if you have the bad/obsolete type, they can crack and fall into your engine. Free update, just have them check for this.
[6] Updated system software. Definitely get them latest version installed before you pick the vehicle, this will fix many issues. (Cars are rolling computer these days...)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm

conlaw1234 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:22 pm
Hello Everyone,

I'm considering buying a 2016 Volvo XC90 T5. It has only 500 miles on it and I'm buying it from the dealer. It was used as a test drive vehicle and nothing else. Does anyone own one and if yes, do you recommend it? Are there issues with this model? Any other input is appreciated.
This is the "new model", correct?

How much of a discount is there (or what discount is claimed, at least)?

For a "test drive vehicle", 500 miles is pretty low, especially if it's not a "brand new car".

What type of warranty is being offered?

In general, we try to avoid the "first model year" when there have been major changes, and that would be the 2016 Volvo, as far as I know. But I don't have first hand information about this. We were wait listed for one, but they were SO delayed coming in. We ended up purchasing a CPO XC60 (1 yr old, 10k miles). It was our first "non-new" car, and we were a bit nervous, but the savings were considerable. We LOVE this car.
We'll need to decide later, when we need to replace the 2004 XC90, whether to get another XC90, or stick with another XC60.
BTW, we got a Turbo, although we were not looking for that at all. Well... we probably will not get a "non-Turbo" in the future. The performance is, to use the youngsters' terminology, *awesome*!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Spend some time on the Swedespeed forums. The '16 edition had a lot of problems (though some '16 owners have had nothing major).

https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisp ... SPA-2016-)

Owners of the '17 and '18 have reported much improved quality.

friareye

Post by friareye » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:10 pm

This might sound crazy to you, but look at the new Subaru Ascent.

I was obsessed with the 2018 Volvo XC90. Love the look, need the size for the family, and need AWD for Maine winters. New XC90 is absurd cost (in my mind), and the used have had some issues... even the better newer ones have concerns about their electrical systems.

I got a Subaru Ascent Limited for just under $40k. I pre-ordered it since the local dealers can’t keep up with demand. Minimal wiggle room on price, but the value you get at 40k is more important to me (best AWD and safety features in the game right now, comfortable, and great reputation).

Sure, it’s not a Volvo (or Benz or BMW), but I feel it is more solid than the Highlander and Pilot.

conlaw1234

Post by conlaw1234 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:12 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm
conlaw1234 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:22 pm
Hello Everyone,

This is the "new model", correct?

How much of a discount is there (or what discount is claimed, at least)?

For a "test drive vehicle", 500 miles is pretty low, especially if it's not a "brand new car".

What type of warranty is being offered?

In general, we try to avoid the "first model year" when there have been major changes, and that would be the 2016 Volvo, as far as I know. But I don't have first hand information about this. We were wait listed for one, but they were SO delayed coming in. We ended up purchasing a CPO XC60 (1 yr old, 10k miles). It was our first "non-new" car, and we were a bit nervous, but the savings were considerable. We LOVE this car.
We'll need to decide later, when we need to replace the 2004 XC90, whether to get another XC90, or stick with another XC60.
BTW, we got a Turbo, although we were not looking for that at all. Well... we probably will not get a "non-Turbo" in the future. The performance is, to use the youngsters' terminology, *awesome*!

RM
Yes, it's a new model. Discount being offered is about 20% Warranty is the factor warranty. I think it is $50,000 miles or 4 years. They have replaced notable issues: battery, spark plugs, moon roof, etc. I am also looking at CPO but so far, this has been the best deal. I think I can get them down another few grand since they just want to get rid of the car at this point.

conlaw1234

Post by conlaw1234 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:12 pm

Go Blue 99 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pm
Spend some time on the Swedespeed forums. The '16 edition had a lot of problems (though some '16 owners have had nothing major).

https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisp ... SPA-2016-)

Owners of the '17 and '18 have reported much improved quality.
Thank you! I will read the posts on the forum!

conlaw1234

Post by conlaw1234 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:14 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:36 pm
I own a 2018 XC90 T6, zero issues with it so far. Best vehicle we've ever owned :mrgreen:

Things that I know about the 2016 model listed below. Pretty much all of them are covered via "tech journals" (ie. bug reports) and can be fixed by your dealer should you encounter them. The 2016 was a "first year" model and many owners paid for it by being guinea pigs. The problems have been sorted out, let's make sure you're not the one wasting time going through them again! :beer There is nothing fundamentally different between the 2016 and 2018 models except the fixes are part of the production process on the newer models.

[2] Battery drain caused by faulty "kick" sensor in rear tail gate. Ask them to check on this, otherwise you may end up with a dead vehicle in the morning.
[3] Squeaky brakes. Make sure to bed in your brakes when you first get the vehicle and you shouldn't have issues, but they'll replace the pads or rotors should you encounter this.
[4] Android Auto was not supported when the 2016 first rolled out but these days it's available as a dealer-installed feature. They add a USB port. If the vehicle was sold with the feature you can likely get it for free
[5] Bad Spark Plugs. Make sure you get them updated to the latest version before taking ownership of the vehicle. This is a big one - if you have the bad/obsolete type, they can crack and fall into your engine. Free update, just have them check for this.
[6] Updated system software. Definitely get them latest version installed before you pick the vehicle, this will fix many issues. (Cars are rolling computer these days...)
They said they've taken care of all of these issues. They replaced the moon roof, changed the battery, changed the brakes, replaced the spark plus, updated the software. Still mulling whether this car is a good buy. Right now, i'm getting a 20% discount.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:59 pm

I would want to know the real reason why it basically sat from two model years and only accumulated 500 miles. Very odd for a car this common to sit on a lot for that long unless something else is going on like lemon law buyback, etc.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:08 pm

conlaw1234 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:14 pm
sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:36 pm

They said they've taken care of all of these issues. They replaced the moon roof, changed the battery, changed the brakes, replaced the spark plus, updated the software. Still mulling whether this car is a good buy. Right now, i'm getting a 20% discount.
That's a pretty good buy. The most you can hope for a brand new one is 10-13% discount. OTOH the car is a couple years 'old' in terms of calendar time if not mileage and that will affect resale, if that matters to you.

conlaw1234

Post by conlaw1234 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 am

tim1999 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:59 pm
I would want to know the real reason why it basically sat from two model years and only accumulated 500 miles. Very odd for a car this common to sit on a lot for that long unless something else is going on like lemon law buyback, etc.
The story I'm getting from the dealer is that it was used as a demo car and then briefly as a test drive car. I'm still not going to pull the trigger unless the dealer comes down a bit more. The salesperson basically told me that they just want to get rid of the car so negotiation is in my favor since I don't "need" to buy this car.

Even though a 20% discount is pretty darn good, like other users have pointed out, it's basically a three year old car since the 2017-2019 were/are released.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 am

conlaw1234 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 am
tim1999 wrote:
The story I'm getting from the dealer is that it was used as a demo car and then briefly as a test drive car. I'm still not going to pull the trigger unless the dealer comes down a bit more. The salesperson basically told me that they just want to get rid of the car so negotiation is in my favor since I don't "need" to buy this car.

Even though a 20% discount is pretty darn good, like other users have pointed out, it's basically a three year old car since the 2017-2019 were/are released.
In several years as a test/demo [what's the difference?], and only 500 miles?
As I mentioned above, this is a concern.
We never see such "old" (relatively!) cars as demos/loaners [for repairs]/tests cars.
And I'm pretty sure that we'd notice if we were getting cars with such low mileage.

They are usually current year model or maybe prior year.
They want their customers to see/experience all the newer bells and whistles.

Have you seen the title? NO prior owner?

RM

conlaw1234

Post by conlaw1234 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 am
conlaw1234 wrote:
tim1999 wrote:

We never see such "old" (relatively!) cars as demos/loaners [for repairs]/tests cars.
And I'm pretty sure that we'd notice if we were getting cars with such low mileage.

RM
I agree, it is a concern and I will research lemon laws accordingly. I have not seen the title, but i have seen the carfax. Carfax is clean and it has no prior owners. They would reset the factory warranty so that i'd get 4 years or 50k miles from date of purchase.

I haven't driven this particular car but prior to buying, I definitely will. If the dealership and I come to an agreement to buy, should I ask for anything to be replaced? Battery, spark plugs, and oil have been replaced. I'm going to request them to flush and replace all fluids. Anything else?

There are two things that are given me hesitation:
1. the car being a 2016 and that was the first year of this mode's production
2. as you and many others pointed out, why is the 2016 (brand new) still sitting there?

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 am

To quote Emeril Lagasse: "If it smells like fish, buy the lamb."

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:39 am

conlaw1234 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 am
ResearchMed wrote:
conlaw1234 wrote:
tim1999 wrote:

RM
I agree, it is a concern and I will research lemon laws accordingly. I have not seen the title, but i have seen the carfax. Carfax is clean and it has no prior owners. They would reset the factory warranty so that i'd get 4 years or 50k miles from date of purchase.

I haven't driven this particular car but prior to buying, I definitely will. If the dealership and I come to an agreement to buy, should I ask for anything to be replaced? Battery, spark plugs, and oil have been replaced. I'm going to request them to flush and replace all fluids. Anything else?

2. as you and many others pointed out, why is the 2016 (brand new) still sitting there?
Given it's a few years old, and "sort of like a used car" (er, except for that 500 miles part), perhaps they'll give you the CPO warranty.
But please DOUBLE CHECK that this would be better.
A couple of years ago, we got our first CPO (the 2014 XC60 T, one yr old, 10k miles; owner got one of the first new model XC90's arriving).
IIRC, the warranty *we* got with the CPO was better than the original owner's warranty.
(But our CPO car was "only" one year old, so that might make a difference.)

Have you dealt with this dealer before?

Any potential problems aside, we LOVE our older model XC60, and will probably get another (unless we spring for the larger XC90, which we don't need), when our 2004 XC90 finally bites the dust. It's very low mileage, so we might baby it along. Only the newer XC60 is allowed on the highways, etc., for safety.

RM

conlaw1234

Post by conlaw1234 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:00 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:39 am
conlaw1234 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:28 am
ResearchMed wrote:
conlaw1234 wrote:
tim1999 wrote:

RM

Given it's a few years old, and "sort of like a used car" (er, except for that 500 miles part), perhaps they'll give you the CPO warranty.
But please DOUBLE CHECK that this would be better.
A couple of years ago, we got our first CPO (the 2014 XC60 T, one yr old, 10k miles; owner got one of the first new model XC90's arriving).
IIRC, the warranty *we* got with the CPO was better than the original owner's warranty.
(But our CPO car was "only" one year old, so that might make a difference.)

Have you dealt with this dealer before?

Any potential problems aside, we LOVE our older model XC60, and will probably get another (unless we spring for the larger XC90, which we don't need), when our 2004 XC90 finally bites the dust. It's very low mileage, so we might baby it along. Only the newer XC60 is allowed on the highways, etc., for safety.

I've never dealt with this dealer, nor have I purchased a Volvo before. All new territory for me. I will check out the CPO vs. factory warranty. Thanks for all your insight.

RM

Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:21 am

We have 55k miles on our 2016 XC90 and it’s been a terrific vehicle. 29mpg in the warmer months, 24mpg in the winter. Handles great in the Minnesota snow. Only knock it’s tjat the engine feels underpowered when you have a stiff head on wind.

conlaw1234

Post by conlaw1234 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:17 pm

I've decided to let the car go. The dealer and I are about 3-4K apart and it looks like the dealer is as low as they can go.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in!