"Dollar Tree Store" favorites

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

"Dollar Tree Store" favorites

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm

For those of you familiar with the Dollar Store where all items are $1, what do you buy there most often?
Last edited by tennisplyr on Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Rupert

Re: "Dollar Store" favorites

Post by Rupert » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Mostly only kid-related stuff: coloring/activity books for small children, hair bands, etc. I've found other random items that were decent quality, such as mini-bungee cords, gift bags, tissue paper, and small plastic bins. I avoid ingestible items, such as food and toothpaste, from there because upon close inspection it appears most of it comes from China (sometimes even when it bears a typical American brand/label). It makes me sad to see people doing their primary grocery shopping there.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:23 pm

sunglasses

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Travel size toothbrush/paste and deodorant
Electronic cables
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Party supplies, especially for kids parties. Reading glasses. Sunglasses. Never bothered if they get lost. Small kitchen utensils.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Bingo gifts. Our family has a tradition of playing bingo on Christmas morning with the extended family for food/gag gifts. That is the only time I ever go into one of those stores.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:35 pm

I buy lots of reading glasses there and some car cleaning supplies.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:47 pm

I have no objection to buying throw-away stuff at dollar stores, but I would be wary of buying sunglasses there. I think your eyes deserve a better level of protection.

4strings

Post by 4strings » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Starch

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:52 pm

Lots of greeting cards, kitchen utensils.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:55 pm

I depended on Dollar General and Family Dollar on my recent cross country walk.

Here are the items I bought regularly (rarely was anything actually $1):

Packages of Swiss cheese
Wheat Thins
Triscuits
Snickers
Packs of Tuna
Dr Pepper
Ice cream sandwiches
Protein bars
Hand sanitizer
Wipes
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:55 pm
I depended on Dollar General and Family Dollar on my recent cross country walk.

Here are the items I bought regularly (rarely was anything actually $1):

Packages of Swiss cheese
Wheat Thins
Triscuits
Snickers
Packs of Tuna
Dr Pepper
Ice cream sandwiches
Protein bars
Hand sanitizer
Wipes
Dollar General and Family Dollar are a step up from the types of dollar stores OP is asking about. Think Dollar Tree, where everything really is $1.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:47 pm
I have no objection to buying throw-away stuff at dollar stores, but I would be wary of buying sunglasses there. I think your eyes deserve a better level of protection.
I would tend to agree. A friend of mine found out I bought my sunglasses at the dollar store and gave me a nice pair as a gift. I lost them shortly thereafter and felt terrible. I buy them from the dollar store so that I won’t care if something happens to them. I tend to lose sunglasses far more than I should. It does say “UV Protected” but I sort of doubt it. I guess I could be more careful but prefer to live my life free of such anxieties. My heart benefits while my eyes may pay the price (hopefully not).

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Greeting cards.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Yardley Oatmeal Almond bar soap 12-pack for $12.

Cost $3 per bar at my local supermarket -- until recently when they cut the price by half. Dollar store is still a better deal but it is inconvenient so I now go for the supermarket deal.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm
stuper1 wrote:
I would tend to agree. A friend of mine found out I bought my sunglasses at the dollar store and gave me a nice pair as a gift. I lost them shortly thereafter and felt terrible. I buy them from the dollar store so that I won’t care if something happens to them. I tend to lose sunglasses far more than I should. It does say “UV Protected” but I sort of doubt it. I guess I could be more careful but prefer to live my life free of such anxieties. My heart benefits while my eyes may pay the price (hopefully not).
As I understand it, you are probably safer not wearing bad sunglasses and wearing no sunglasses at all. The darker lenses will cause your pupils to dilate, but if the UV protection isn't good, you will end up with more UV rays entering your pupils than if you just went without bad sunglasses and wore no sunglasses at all.

skepticalobserver

Re: "Dollar Tree Store" favorites

Post by skepticalobserver » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Earphones.

Eventually the cords on expensive ones fray. At a dollar a pop (plus tax) I buy three at a time. I listen to lots of podcasts on a stationary bike.

Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:50 pm

Basically things that I consider a "commodity" product where I don't believe that brand/quality makes a difference for my needs. Thus, most bathroom consumables (shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste/toothbrush, hair gel, etc), some cleaning products like bleach and alcohol, and random kitchen stuff like zip-lock bags.

I also splurge and buy those chemoluminescent glo-sticks several times a year.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:02 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:39 pm
Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:25 pm
stuper1 wrote:
As I understand it, you are probably safer not wearing bad sunglasses and wearing no sunglasses at all. The darker lenses will cause your pupils to dilate, but if the UV protection isn't good, you will end up with more UV rays entering your pupils than if you just went without bad sunglasses and wore no sunglasses at all.
I don’t wear them too often as it is so will take the leap and stop wearing them all together. You just saved me $1 times however many pairs I would’ve purchased in the years ahead (not to mention possibly saving my eyes too). Thanks!

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:08 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 pm
Perhaps I will make my first trip to a dollar tree store.

lifeisinmirrors

Post by lifeisinmirrors » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:14 pm

I've found some pretty good hardcover books there.

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Guaifenesin liquid expectorant (Tussin Mucus & Chest Congestion) 4 oz. bottle. It costs $4 to $5 each elsewhere.

Laser pointers.

Reading glasses. I keep a pair in the cars and all over the house.
Last edited by Cheyenne on Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Greeting cards. Aseptically packaged milk. Cleaning products, except furniture wipes. Reviews of these products seem to indicate they work as well as the full priced products.

Sunglasses and reading glasses. My eye doctor said it was OK.

Clothespins and clothesline. Nail polish and eye make-up. Gift bags (although thrift stores are cheapest for gift wrap). Hair accessories. Pool noodles. Puzzle books.

I absolutely cannot stand dollar store flip flops. "Worst dollar store purchase ever". :annoyed
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:8

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:45 pm

mouses wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:08 pm
bertilak wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:32 pm
Perhaps I will make my first trip to a dollar tree store.
Be warned: I had to order online then pick up at the store a few days later.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Gnocchi
Honey pretzel twists
Greeting cards
PTA gifts for different events
Campbell's soup 30% more cans
Beer bread mixes
Day old bread that at the regular store costs $4
Toilet bowl cleaner

gluskap

Post by gluskap » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Greeting cards, gift bags, tissue paper, party supplies, school supplies,

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:00 pm

Toilet paper (made in USA, by the way. And these fit the old toilet tissue roll fixtures in old houses. For some reason, only cheap toilet tissue comes in rolls with diameters small enough. I am not going to update bathroom fixtures to accommodate current oversize rolls if I can help it. The dollar store rolls are the best cheap ones.)

boffalora

Post by boffalora » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Plain white china items, particularly specialty pieces not normally found in place settings.

Example: Large, shallow bowls for salads, soups and pasta.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:29 pm

Rupert wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:20 pm
Mostly only kid-related stuff: coloring/activity books for small children, hair bands, etc. ..... I avoid ingestible items, such as food and toothpaste, from there because upon close inspection it appears most of it comes from China (sometimes even when it bears a typical American brand/label)......
May I suggest, when doing your kid shopping, you apply the same logic you use for avoiding the ingestible items.

Little kids are known to put Everything in their mouths. Would bet money that close inspection of the coloring books, crayons, toys, hair bands etc. from Dollar Tree also would reveal " Origin China"

There is a $ Tree store right around the corner from me so I buy a fair amount of seasonal yard decorations, trash bags, & the brand names they do carry like Palmolive dish liquid, Scotties facial tissues.

Definitely pass on any and all kitchen utensils, disposable plates, glassware, and any other thing that might touch food you intend to put in your mouth. Assume anything coming from China may be contaminated with God-only-knows toxic materials.

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Kappa brand Sudoku books

windshield reflector made from bubble wrap, weight 1 oz., for supplemental sleeping warmth on backpacking trips

their oil change pans used as bird and pet water dishes in the yard

I know of a grandpa who takes his young g-kids there for them to shop, and let's each of them choose TWO of anything to take home, not like their parents who just drag them along when shopping for groceries.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Party supplies.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:04 pm

counter top cleaners.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:58 am

drawpoker wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:29 pm
Rupert wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:20 pm
Mostly only kid-related stuff: coloring/activity books for small children, hair bands, etc. ..... I avoid ingestible items, such as food and toothpaste, from there because upon close inspection it appears most of it comes from China (sometimes even when it bears a typical American brand/label)......
May I suggest, when doing your kid shopping, you apply the same logic you use for avoiding the ingestible items.

Little kids are known to put Everything in their mouths. Would bet money that close inspection of the coloring books, crayons, toys, hair bands etc. from Dollar Tree also would reveal " Origin China"

Oh yes, I never buy plastic toys or crayons for children from the dollar store for the reason you mention. Many people don't realize that lead is used as a stabilizer in plastic (especially cheap plastic) and that many Chinese crayons have been recalled for lead. So good on you. (Edited to note: I have no idea why my text is appearing italicized. It just shows up that way, and I can't figure out how to change it. I didn't choose to italicize it.)

aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:35 am

Foil pans & sheets
Straws :D
Plastic silverware
Hand soap refills for the office
Small packs of Clorox wipes (ideal for travel)
Gum
Headphones for kids to use at school
Night light bulbs
Artificial flowers
Flossers
Comet Kitchen cleaner
Travel size kleenex

Before we go on a trip I go there and get items I can either leave or trash when I am finished with them. I also like to buy their smaller containers of toiletries (deodorant, toothpaste, etc.). When my kids were younger, we would take them there and let them pick out Christmas gifts for family members - it was interesting what they would find!

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:40 am

Eyeglass leashes. (think Croakies)

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Rupert wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:58 am

Code: Select all

" [i]Origin China"
(Edited to note: I have no idea why my text is appearing italicized.
When you quoted the message, you lopped off a close tag [/i] (see above). Edit your post to add that.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Greeting cards
Toiletries
Colgate toothpaste
Cleaning supplies
Organic produce (99 Only)
Heirloom tomatoes (99 Only)
Closeout name brand foods

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:30 pm

cleaners like LA's totally awesome degresser
$2 bags of avocados
mushrooms
packaged strawberries
packages of mini peppers
candy
paint rollers
batteries
greeting cards
sandwich bags
paper cups/plates
plastic utensils
always lurking to swoop up on occasional name brand stuff at deep discount. Off the top of my head I scored ghirardelli caramel sauce, nutella, zicam, 6oz packages of jack links, coco lopez cream of coconut

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Gift bags and greeting cards.

Don’t buy batteries at Dollar Tree.

Toolymon

Post by Toolymon » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:43 pm

I like to take the 2 grand daughters and tell them they can buy 3 things each. Only 2 can be candy. They have 4 minutes. I am trying to teach them to "Power Shop"! It is fun to watch their thought process. They are 6 and 8 years old.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:52 pm

toothpaste, deodorant, tooth picks, floss, sunglasses, towels for a quick home project so I can toss them later, kids toys, kids reward stickers, batteries, etc...

This is my single favorite store. My wife hates me going there, but gotta love the price point on stuff I am not going to be keeping.

Best deal: 2 cards for $1. Buy them for my wife (birthday and anniversary are 1 month apart). Surprised she hasn't divorced me yet.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:52 pm
toothpaste, deodorant, tooth picks, floss, sunglasses, towels for a quick home project so I can toss them later, kids toys, kids reward stickers, batteries, etc...

This is my single favorite store. My wife hates me going there, but gotta love the price point on stuff I am not going to be keeping.

Best deal: 2 cards for $1. Buy them for my wife (birthday and anniversary are 1 month apart). Surprised she hasn't divorced me yet.

Good luck.
Love that you buy your wife cards there, I'm too scared :shock:

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Cards.
All the Best, | Joe

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Add me to the list of people who buys cards at Dollar Tree. I also buy scotch tape, packing tape, dental floss, and dog toys there.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:28 pm

magazinewriter wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Don’t buy batteries at Dollar Tree.
Don't buy anything of an electrical nature at Dollar Tree.

jdb

Post by jdb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 pm

OK, have read these responses and as someone who has never been inside a Dollar store see no compelling reason from the responses to change that habit. Target sounds good to me. And I do not buy birthday or anniversary cards for my wife of 40 plus years, but think she likes me anyway. Good luck.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Not a whole lot anymore. I used to go regularly. I think due to inflation, the product mix has gone down the tubes. I'd rather just have them charge $1.10 and bring some of the good stuff they used to have.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:44 pm

Surface cleaners, greeting cards, small odds and ends. But thank goodness no crayons:
http://fortune.com/2018/08/07/lead-asbe ... othelioma/

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 am

jdb wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 pm
OK, have read these responses and as someone who has never been inside a Dollar store see no compelling reason from the responses to change that habit. Target sounds good to me. And I do not buy birthday or anniversary cards for my wife of 40 plus years, but think she likes me anyway. Good luck.
Odd response. If you can get the same product for $1 then $3 why not? Especially, if one is a boglehead and believe in minimizing extra costs.

Now if you say you don't believe in the quality of the product for the lower price that is a different story. I tried the garbage bags from there and had to draw the line. They were flimsy and just looked like they were going to tear any minute. The toothpaste and deodorant and buy from their is the same product and cheaper per ounce then Target.

Best is the sunglasses if you are like me who loses a pair ever several month.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:59 am

staythecourse wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 am
The toothpaste and deodorant and buy from their is the same product and cheaper per ounce then Target.

Good luck.
No, dollar store toothpaste is not the same product that you can buy at Target: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dolla ... oothpaste/

Again, I don't recommend buying anything at a true dollar store, i.e., a store where everything costs a dollar (stores such as Dollar General and Family Dollar are different), that is meant to be consumed by humans. Since you typically swallow a little bit of toothpaste when you brush, I'd include toothpaste in that category.