48" Range - Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MindTheGAAP

48" Range - Recommendations

Post by MindTheGAAP » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:23 am

Chefs/ Home Cooks of BH,

We are going to be embarking on a kitchen remodel (and addition) in the very near future (expect it to start within the next couple of months) and we are trying to evaluate our options when it comes to the range we'll install. We have settled on a 48" range with double oven - we know the big name brands - Wolf, Viking, Thermador, BlueStar, etc. but wanted to get recommendations for those that have them on feedback.

Appreciate your feedback in advance.

MTG
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

8foot7

Re: 48" Range - Recommendations

Post by 8foot7 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am

had a 48" Bluestar with 6 burners and the grill. loved it. We moved, so it stayed with house, but want to put in new home

stxman

Post by stxman » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:29 am

No personal experience but have researched a similar remodel. Found people who disliked how small the side oven is on a 48" range. Even had to buy smaller bakeware for it to fit.

I was getting a bit crazy perhaps but was considering two side by side slide in 30"s. The GE profile go nearly to the edge, so push them tight and it's not terribly obvious. Would get one all gas and the other induction electric, each with the over under double oven so short height but full width. We have one of those currently and love it.

A much under considered aspect though is proper venting. At a certain amount of cfm of range hood volume (depends on sq ft but usually by about 400-500 cfm), you need a make-up air solution so your CO producing combustibles don't back draft into your house. Doing all of that right can be quite expensive as well..

Missedtheboat

Post by Missedtheboat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:31 am

I would personally avoid Viking like the plague! I have a 36" one now. The open gas burners are awesome, the oven has had nothing but problems since day one and I had difficulty getting them to honor the warranty on something that was clearly covered. The stovetop grill is a nightmare to clean. The sales rep I go to at Pacific Sales says the new ones are worse!! This thing is all looks and no substance!

MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:45 am

Missedtheboat wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:31 am
I would personally avoid Viking like the plague! I have a 36" one now. The open gas burners are awesome, the oven has had nothing but problems since day one and I had difficulty getting them to honor the warranty on something that was clearly covered. The stovetop grill is a nightmare to clean. The sales rep I go to at Pacific Sales says the new ones are worse!! This thing is all looks and no substance!
Thank you - this is the kind of info that is great when looking at this stuff. I know some of the big brands like Wolf and Viking can play off of historical reputation and put out lazily engineered/ lower quality products so don't want to end up dropping those kind of pennies on something that is crap.
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:45 am

We have had the 48" All-gas Wolf with a 12" griddle (model GR48G) for almost 6 years. Love love love it. My wife is a baker, and has had much more success with it than any previous oven.

We use the 18" oven WAY more than the 30" (It preheats incredibly fast and is big enough for much of our cooking), and use the griddle so much that we wish we had gotten the double-griddle model with 4 burners instead of the single-griddle and 6-burner option. As a result, we actually have a 36" outdoor griddle being delivered today.

All the prosumer ranges seem to have more issues early on than mainstream brands, and that has held true for us. That said, SubZero/Wolf's service is the best in the business. We had one of the three buttons stop working properly shortly after purchase (wouldn't stay in, so went from being a toggle to a momentary switch), they promptly replaced all 3. We also had some ignition issues with the griddle which took several service visits but was eventually resolved. And the all-gas model at least is dead-nuts simple, so repairs will be easy and parts available for an incredibly-long time. The Dual-fuel models have a lot of additional electronics that I didn't want, both for reliability reasons and because I think the panel will look dated eventually, while the cleaner lines of the gas model are more timeless. But that may be just me.

Our appliance salesman (we've used the same guy for almost 20 years now) personally owns and recommends Bluestar, along with the Wolf we eventually decided on. He gently steered us away from Viking and Thermador due to reliability/service issues. Don't remember anymore what he said about GE Monogram, KitchenAid Professional, or DCS. The other brand we VERY seriously considered (that he doesn't sell) is American Range. If we had gone the rangetop/wall oven route we absolutely would have gone with them because their French-door double ovens are awesome.
Last edited by lazydavid on Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:49 am

8foot7 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 am
had a 48" Bluestar with 6 burners and the grill. loved it. We moved, so it stayed with house, but want to put in new home
Thank you - it's on the list to take a look at. Appreciate your feedback.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:03 pm

Missedtheboat wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:31 am
I agree. I had a 48" Viking. This was 10 years ago, so things might have changed. However, one door didn't quite close entirely right when new. When I complained (to a very well known huge appliance seller in the Chicagoland area), they said that they put straps on them for shipping and sometimes they get a little bent and that is just the way it is. Fixing it requires replacing the whole 450 LB range (and all that that can entail with regarding to getting it in, across the wood floors without damage, etc.).

I had a matching hood by Viking. The hood would go on automatically all the time. It had a feature to go on if it got too hot, but went on when I was boiling water! They came out a couple of times and changed sensors, controls, but it never worked right. I "fixed" the problem by removing one of the light bulbs (there were 3). It was too close to the heat sensor and a design flaw.

I also had a few burners go out and the broiler. But this was over 10 years, so maybe not horrible.

The range had a powerful broiler, burners and I loved the grill. Beyond that, it was very low frills. No self cleaning in either oven. No electronics (which can be good or bad).

BTW, engineering has changed a lot. My 30" range I have now has 2 ovens and MORE oven space than the 48" Viking did.