Good/Cheap Glucose Monitoring System.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SlowMovingInvestor

Good/Cheap Glucose Monitoring System.

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:16 am

Note: This is NOT a Medical question, but more of a consumer/fitness device question.

I'm interested in getting a low cost blood glucose meter with reasonably priced strips. I don't have a medical condition--- it's more for occasional checks to get an idea of my carb intake every 2 weeks or so. It doesn't even have to be totally accurate, since it's not intended as a medical device. I don't intend to use that many strips, but naturally would still prefer cheap strips. I did have an old meter, but I can't find strips for it any more (my last purchase was over 2 years ago).

Any thoughts ? And what are good places to shop (Amazon or Walmart or Target) ?

EDITED: And of course, since this is non-medical, no insurance coverage.
Last edited by SlowMovingInvestor on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farmboyslim83

Re: Good/Cheap Glucose Monitoring System.

Post by Farmboyslim83 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Reli-On at Walmart. $15. for meter, $9. For 50 strips. Less expensive than ablot of insurance coverages.

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Farmboyslim83 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:20 pm
Reli-On at Walmart. $15. for meter, $9. For 50 strips. Less expensive than ablot of insurance coverages.
That's the one that I've used for many years, being prediabetic. I am intrigued, though, by the new continuous monitoring glucose monitors that no longer require one to prick their finger. Can I buy one of these without a prescription and how accurate are they? What do they cost?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:56 pm

Reubin wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:35 pm
Farmboyslim83 wrote:
That's the one that I've used for many years, being prediabetic. I am intrigued, though, by the new continuous monitoring glucose monitors that no longer require one to prick their finger. Can I buy one of these without a prescription and how accurate are they? What do they cost?
I just got one. Prescription required, and they’re expensive. Insurance companies, and Medicare, have a list of requirements to be eligible for coverage (basically, diabetic on insulin for some extended period of time). I regularly do 5-10 checks per day, so I appreciate the switch.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Below are the price ranges at major pharmacies we called. In our research, FreeStyle Libre is the least expensive at Walmart, where each 10-day sensor is $35.99, and each reader device (one time purchase) is $69.99.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Reubin

Post by Reubin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:56 pm
Reubin wrote:
Farmboyslim83 wrote:
I just got one. Prescription required, and they’re expensive. Insurance companies, and Medicare, have a list of requirements to be eligible for coverage (basically, diabetic on insulin for some extended period of time). I regularly do 5-10 checks per day, so I appreciate the switch.
Or you could go low, low, low carb. Am I allowed to say that here? My monitor shows much lower readings since I've done that.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:36 pm

Look at Contour Next (Bayer). Cheaper than most brand name meters and the strips are also cheap. It's been the most consistent that I've found.

You can easily find pricing by searching a little. You could also research reviews (I have).

In my research and experience, meters tend to give a band of readings for a sample. Some meters read high and some low. Switching from one to the other can really throw you off if you don't know. Both my son and I saw readings 40 points off when we started using the insurance company's preferred meter. We decided to move off the "kickback" meter and stick with good, accurate results in the band we were used to.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:26 pm

The CVS brand meter and strips are cheap - they call it the "Advanced Glucose Meter". You can save even more if you buy the strips from their website.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:25 am

Reubin wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:56 pm
Reubin wrote:
Farmboyslim83 wrote:
Or you could go low, low, low carb. Am I allowed to say that here? My monitor shows much lower readings since I've done that.
I think it’s okay to say that, since going low carb and intermittent fasting, I’m off insulin entirely. I’ve still got my continuous glucose monitor though, which I qualified for before going off insulin.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:18 am

Are you trying to lower your blood glucose level? Be careful. If it drops too much you could faint.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:13 am

So a follow up to this -- I bought the cheapest device: Reli-on + 25 strips for around $15 at Wal Mart. However, the numbers are way off. I compared with my old meter, which still had a few strips, and with the results of my last physical. It's off by 35% or so.

I did say before that I don't need this for medical purposes. But 35% off is useless. I don't feel like spending more money on control solution to check if it's the meter or strips that are not working.

Unfortunately it's not returnable, because blood testing products are apparently not returnable. Not a lot of money, but annoying :(

EDITED: Wondering about Reli-On -- it's a WalMart brand, but who is the actual manufacturer ? They seem to sell a lot of home medical devices

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 am

Bayer Contour Next

Or screw around with cheap garbage and get random readings. Your choice. In my case, it's not that I faint with a low blood sugar, not found by an inaccurate meter. It's that I could die.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 am

The Freestyle Libre system is not as expensive as I thought, and it might be an option if you qualify for Medicare coverage (and your doctor will prescribe). A month in, I’m impressed.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:27 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:13 am
EDITED: Wondering about Reli-On -- it's a WalMart brand, but who is the actual manufacturer ? They seem to sell a lot of home medical devices
Relion meters are made for Walmart by either Abbott or Arkray.

You may find this article interesting: https://diabetestechnology.org/surveillance.shtml

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 am
The Freestyle Libre system is not as expensive as I thought, and it might be an option if you qualify for Medicare coverage (and your doctor will prescribe). A month in, I’m impressed.
The continuous systems aren't meant for occasional testers who don't have a medical purpose for using one, and as such, will likely not be covered by insurance. As a retail pharmacist, I've seen only a small handful of patients with insurance that would cooperate on partial coverage (including Medicare), and these patients had extensive medical/prescription histories. Several others with said histories still couldn't get the system covered, and chose to pay out of pocket for it anyway.

If not covered by insurance, I doubt the OP would be interested in (seeing his doctor for a prescription anyway and) spending >$100 a month to replace the sensors.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:26 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 am
Bayer Contour Next

Or screw around with cheap garbage and get random readings. Your choice. In my case, it's not that I faint with a low blood sugar, not found by an inaccurate meter. It's that I could die.
As Jack FFR1846 has posted twice, get the Bayer Contour Next. It is accurate and consistent. The Walmart and Target meters are garbage.

The Contour Next meter and strips are available on Amazon.

The Contour Next EZ meter is less than $10 from Amazon.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:16 am

I use Contour Next One by Ascensia. From their web page:
  • Established in 2016 through the acquisition of Bayer Diabetes Care by PHC Holdings (formerly known as Panasonic Healthcare Holdings), Ascensia Diabetes Care is a global company dedicated to improving the health and lives of people with diabetes. Already including the world-renowned CONTOUR™ range of blood glucose monitoring systems, we are committed to adding more innovative and life-changing products to our portfolio.
They are probably not the cheapest on the market but their meter and test strips are accurate and consistent. And, even if not the cheapest, they are not what I would call expensive. I order strips via Amazon. I'm guessing Costco, Walmart, etc. also have them at a reasonable price.

The meter connects to their phone app via Bluetooth for record keeping and analysis. Quite simple and handy.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet