eBay seller issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Carl53

eBay seller issue

Post by Carl53 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:16 am

I’ve been selling a quantity of a particular personal care item for a relative. These were acquired several years ago primarily from local stores when we learned that the product was no longer being made. The item has no identifiable use by date on it or the packaging or literature provided. I have seen the same item go for as much as 100X the original price with some asking more than that. A particular buyer, that had a very good feedback rating, as a prolific buyer/reseller of personal care items, agreed to buy several at a discount to what I had been asking and I agreed, seeking to wrap this effort up. Furthermore the buyer had previously bid as much as I would ask. In fact I saw that they had bought one and then immediately relisted it at almost 2X what they paid for it. While I stated no returns, and provided free shipping, the buyer now claims the product to be defective with eBay providing them a shipping label at my expense. I protested to eBay and the buyer with no success thus far. The items have now arrived and appear to be ok. I opened one package to see if had been tampered with, it had not.

I suspect that the buyer saw a listing for a massive quantity of said product at a lower price that briefly appeared just before they complained and now has buyers remorse or possibly acquired said inventory. Worse than being forced to accept the return and have the cleared funds clawed back including shipping, they made a claim to eBay which eBay accepted that the product was past its use by date. eBay then said I could no longer sell the items despite me pointing out numerous other identical items being sold each week.

Has anyone successfully bucked the seller resolution system on eBay? Any suggestions? I did get signature receipts and have videos of the items being packaged and opened upon return.

Worse yet I actually gave them positive feedback after the product was delivered and the funds cleared, only to have the buyer later (nearly 3 weeks after the sale) initiate this complaint.

cashmoney

Re: eBay seller issue

Post by cashmoney » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:24 am

I wouldn't waste time with this especially since this buyer knows how to game the system. Ebays sellers forums are full of stories like this.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:28 am

As the other poster said, don't waste your time. You will spend up in an hour long hold and call time with a rep who you can't understand.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:52 am

No, its the reason I no longer sell items on Ebay. There is virtually no way for the seller to fight it it and win. The buyer is always right in ebay's world.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Not much likelihood of getting satisfaction from eBay'. Before giving up, however, try reporting the buyer through the eBay system. There is a complaint category for abusing the return system. Here's the eBay site: https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resol ... er?id=4084
Good luck, let us know what happens.

alex11

Post by alex11 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:38 pm

As others have stated...........Do not waste your time getting shipping fees back. As backwards as it is, Ebay is a buyer's world.
But, assuming you have a decent value of inventory, it is probably worth your time disputing the no relisting part of this.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:24 am
I wouldn't waste time with this especially since this buyer knows how to game the system. Ebays sellers forums are full of stories like this.
I had it done to me and eBay/PayPal didn't even follow their own written policies. Wrote to the COO and never heard anything back. Just resell it.

Carl53

Re: eBay seller issue - update

Post by Carl53 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:08 pm

Update:

Situation has gone from bizarre to absurd.

Ebay tapped the Paypal account for total amount of funds to reimburse scam buyer. Called to asked about initiating an appeal. Once again went through the spiel about how this account was being singled out. Was told that they would take back the money, but that return shipping fee would be refunded and the previously promised to remain unbilled selling fee (nearly $200) would be dropped. Furthermore, I asked several ways about the threatening emails regarding the not relisting this item since many sales by others had occurred and as well as a number of long term and new listings. I was told to disregard that email and that I could once again list the item for sale.

Listed the product again two ways. One showing the product removed from the box (had opened a couple of packaging boxes validating the return contents and documentation after the initial problems), and one similar to prior listings with new unopened packages. Within one day we received another threatening email about policy violation about selling open packages. Mind you there have been listings and sales of half rolled up tubes by others in the the very recent past. The other item sold, but then received another email saying that we ignored their warnings about selling expired items (item, packaging and paperwork have no expiration date), the listings removed and account was suspended for three days and that we would now be liable for fees that do not meet their rules.

I called, amazingly only a three/four minute wait on callback, essentially nothing new except they did not call back after the call was disconnected.

Today Paypal got hit for the sales charge by Ebay on the return item as well as the return postage. So far they have not tried to grab back the money received from the package sold in the past week although they eliminated the listing from their record.

One different thing this time is that they went through and wiped out perhaps ten other similar listings for the same product by other individuals. One new one has since reappeared by another individual that I have not seen before. I am considering my options.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Can this be sold efficiently on Craigslist?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:16 pm

I have sold $20,000 worth of items over the past few years and they have 2 things in common:

- not on EBay (Craigslist)
- Cash only (or USPS Money Order for shipment)

This is why.

visualguy

Post by visualguy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:52 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:52 am
No, its the reason I no longer sell items on Ebay. There is virtually no way for the seller to fight it it and win. The buyer is always right in ebay's world.
Right, same with PayPal, so even if you sell not on eBay, but you just accept payment through PayPal, you can be in trouble. The buyer effectively has a 6-month period to get their money back, and you are basically helpless about it as the seller.

veindoc

Post by veindoc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:11 pm

I read an article a year ago about a seller issue with eBay. I can’t remember the details but a story similar to yours. Unfairly blocked from selling. That person then listed their items on Shopify and they all sold. I had never heard of Shopify but felt the world needed an alternative to eBay and Amazon. (I was having issues with amazon). Bought Shopify stock and last I saw it was up over 60% so I think they have a good working model. I have never personally used the site so caveat emptor.

Continue the appeal so that you don’t lose money but sell the remaining items on Shopify or amazon. Facebook marketplace, offer up may be good options too.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:21 pm

There are some things in life that are given, unchangeable and constant:

Don't spit into the wind.
Buyers on ebay and paypal always win.
Google has become evil.
eBay and paypal have always been evil.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:39 pm

I'm a power seller and have been for years. Just know that it's their world and you are just livin' in it.

I've had so many things stolen and scammed off me it's not funny. But, I still sell there because there isn't any other place that I can get my items in front of as many people. It's just what it is...