USPS Informed Delivery

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
EagertoLearnMore

USPS Informed Delivery

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 pm

I have read about the USPS Informed Delivery available from the post office on this forum so I decided to sign up. I got to the security questions and answered them truthfully and I was informed the answers were wrong.

I have to wait at least 72 hours to try again, otherwise I need to drive to the post office, which is not nearby. I am concerned that I may not get verified online again since I don't understand what I answered incorrectly if I answered truthfully.

Has anyone had this experience and is the service worthwhile enough to make the trip to the post office for official verification?

Thanks.

Silk McCue

Re: USPS Informed Delivery

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:28 pm

My only advice is to read the question thoroughly and then slow down in giving the answers. It’s easy t make a mistake when something is “obvious”. I’ve proved my identity through these type of tests a few times and have caught myself about to answer incorrectly on a couple of occasions.

Hope it goes smoother next time.

Cheers

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Informed delivery works great. My guess is:

- they either had an error in their verification questions
- you mistakenly answered incorrectly

Either way, my hope is that everything will work next time.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:32 pm

Service shows you number of items coming each day, and images of most (but not all) of them. It also gives you one stop tracking access. You will have to decide if that's worth it.

As to the questios, I got asked if a list of addresses were mine. One was my son's on the other side of the country, not mine. I said yes.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:46 pm

I also failed the online test and had to show up at the post office in person. I rarely get anything important in the mail, but when I am expecting something, it is nice to be able to see an image of the envelope in my e-mail in the morning.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:19 pm

EagertoLearnMore wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 pm
I have read about the USPS Informed Delivery available from the post office on this forum so I decided to sign up. I got to the security questions and answered them truthfully and I was informed the answers were wrong.

I have to wait at least 72 hours to try again, otherwise I need to drive to the post office, which is not nearby. I am concerned that I may not get verified online again since I don't understand what I answered incorrectly if I answered truthfully.

Has anyone had this experience and is the service worthwhile enough to make the trip to the post office for official verification?

Thanks.
I had exactly the same thing happen, and I'm sure I answered all the questions correctly. I think their online verification system just doesn't work very well. I wouldn't risk trying it again. After waiting the 72 hours I selected to verify at the P.O. You have to print out the page with the barcode and take it with. You also need proof of identity and something with your name and address on it. I had no problem verifying at the P.O. The Informed Delivery Service has worked great. You are notified by email each day you have mail or a package so no need to be logging on every day. I find it very helpful.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:28 pm

CULater wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:19 pm
EagertoLearnMore wrote:

Thanks.
I had exactly the same thing happen, and I'm sure I answered all the questions correctly. I think their online verification system just doesn't work very well. I wouldn't risk trying it again. After waiting the 72 hours I selected to verify at the P.O. You have to print out the page with the barcode and take it with. You also need proof of identity and something with your name and address on it. I had no problem verifying at the P.O. The Informed Delivery Service has worked great. You are notified by email each day you have mail or a package so no need to be logging on every day. I find it very helpful.
72 hours is to try again.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:48 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:28 pm
CULater wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:19 pm
EagertoLearnMore wrote:

Thanks.
72 hours is to try again.
When you try again after 72 hours you can elect to verify online or at the P.O. The second time, I elected to do it at the P.O. and not risk the online verification again. If you have another 72 hours to kill and the P.O. is a pain to get to, you might want to try the online verification again but be prepared that it might bomb again. I got ticked off enough the first time.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Lexi

Post by Lexi » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:53 pm

They probably use one of the credit report companies to get their security questions, so the questions are as accurate as the credit reports. In my experience that is poor. They have merged my report and my husband’s with other relatives. You can check and correct the information in the report or just answer “yes” if you recognize a relative’s info.

coolguy954

Post by coolguy954 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:54 pm

if you have a credit freeze with experian or equifax you will need to thaw it out for trying again.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:55 pm

coolguy954 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:54 pm
if you have a credit freeze with experian or equifax you will need to thaw it out for trying again.
Hadn't thought of that. Maybe that's why my online verification bombed. I do have a credit freeze.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:02 pm

EagertoLearnMore wrote:

Thanks.
Got rejected due to wrong answers. I was locked out after too many tries. I didn’t bother to go to post office. I don’t see that it’s all that valuable to me. I have a locked mailbox and get mostly junk mail.

There’s no risk to trying as many times as they let you (3?) until they lock you out and then going to PO. My experience is that he verification questions aren’t always accurate. For SS, I passed and my wife didn’t but we’ve been together over 30 years and I can tell you she answered correctly as I did the process with her. It’s not perfect but it’s better that you fail the test and have to appear in person than the system approving someone who’s not you.

Edit: All this happened before I froze my credit.
Last edited by 3-20Characters on Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Lexi wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:53 pm
They probably use one of the credit report companies to get their security questions, so the questions are as accurate as the credit reports. In my experience that is poor. They have merged my report and my husband’s with other relatives. You can check and correct the information in the report or just answer “yes” if you recognize a relative’s info.
I think so. When I get my annual free credit reports, one of them tends to not like my answers, one of the ones that starts with E, I forget which one.

i find Informed Delivery useful as then I know when something interesting is going to show up. It doesn't always show up that day, but within a couple of days. Or if it says nothing or nothing interesting is going to be delivered, it saves me a trip to the mailbox.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:43 pm

It was fun for a couple of weeks. Now? I hardly look at it before deleting. There isn't really anything important that comes in the mail these days.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:02 pm

i had the same experience and it was b/c of the credit freeze.
i went in person to post office after it didn't work online and it was a very easy process there.
Focus on what you can control

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:31 pm

I believe they use credit bureau information. Look at your credit reports. There are addresses on mine I never lived at (a past SO did).

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:40 pm

There is also an app for USPS.

A little involved to get the informed delivery details for the day.

Swimmer

Post by Swimmer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:45 pm

CULater wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:55 pm
coolguy954 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:54 pm
Hadn't thought of that. Maybe that's why my online verification bombed. I do have a credit freeze.

We have credit freezes and had no problem getting on Informed Delivery. We signed up when it was first made operational.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:48 pm

No problem getting signed up. And it's working pretty, maybe even too good. Sold my truck a few weeks ago, and Informed Delivery showed an envelope from my insurance company a few days later. I suspect it was my change of policy notice, but it never got as far as my mailbox. I don't know how the post office will like it if I have proof they lost my mail.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:49 pm

In my case, I was going to be away for awhile and was expecting my tax refund check. Was told that they will not forward that, so I kept the mail coming and set up Informed Delivery so I could tell a friend when the check had arrived so they could send it to me. Now I'm expecting my new Medicare card and believe those will not be forwarded either, so continuing to use ID to learn when it has been delivered. After that, I'll probably start forwarding my mail.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:53 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:48 pm
No problem getting signed up. And it's working pretty, maybe even too good. Sold my truck a few weeks ago, and Informed Delivery showed an envelope from my insurance company a few days later. I suspect it was my change of policy notice, but it never got as far as my mailbox. I don't know how the post office will like it if I have proof they lost my mail.
Might have been a refund check for the cancelled portion of the policy!

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:57 pm

I had the same thing with not being able to verify online, even after multiple 72-hour waiting periods and subsequent attempts. I guess it's less punishing to do it online than drive in to the Post Office.

I ended up verifying at the P.O., but it took like 20-30 minutes of standing at the counter after they had paged for a supervisor, politely going, "Hey, is that supervisor around?" A lot of incompetence and frustration, but the verification took <30 seconds of them doing something on their computer.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:58 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
The app allows you to report mail that was not delivered. They built that functionality into it so I guess they expect mail to not be delivered.

I’ve used that feature a few times and the mail piece always looked a little beaten up.

I’d like to think the mail person now knows I will report them so they handle my mail better. I haven’t had to report any missing mail the last few months now.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:00 pm

curmudgeon wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:53 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Might have been a refund check for the cancelled portion of the policy!
Nope. They deposited that directly into my checking account. But maybe someone thought it was.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:18 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Right on the web page that shows you what is coming there is a box to check to say you didn't get it. I never checked it so don't know how much they follow up on that.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

ytm

Post by ytm » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:25 pm

Was able to log in on the 3rd attempt on the same day. On the 1st 2 attempts that were 2 questions with partially correct prior addresses as possible answers. On the 3rd attempt there were no partially correct answers. We also have credit freezes with the 3 major credit bureaus.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm

I had the same experience - 3 times. I know my answers were correct so obvious they have something wrong. I basically only get junk mail anyway (have gone paperless with all banks, brokerages, bills) so wasn't going to go through the trouble of going to the post office.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:56 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:39 pm
I had the same experience - 3 times. I know my answers were correct so obvious they have something wrong. I basically only get junk mail anyway (have gone paperless with all banks, brokerages, bills) so wasn't going to go through the trouble of going to the post office.
LOL. The irony of getting junk e-mail with pictures of your junk mail. That's like 90% of my Informed Delivery e-mails.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:56 pm
GoldStar wrote:
LOL. The irony of getting junk e-mail with pictures of your junk mail. That's like 90% of my Informed Delivery e-mails.
I get pictures of other people's junk mail (and some good mail too) because they didn't leave a forwarding address.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:24 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:01 pm
GoldStar wrote:
I get pictures of other people's junk mail (and some good mail too) because they didn't leave a forwarding address.
Now that you mention it, I get pictures of other people's mail but never receive it, so I assume they did leave a forwarding address. I really shouldn't be privy to the mail in the first place -- probably a programming bug.

increment

Post by increment » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:37 pm

In the early days articles said that you should sign up for Informed Delivery because it prevented anyone else from signing up under your address. Maybe nowadays we are supposed to trust that the credit-agency questions will prevent that.

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:20 pm

Can you go to any post office for verification or just the ones listed? None of the PO's listed are close to me.

CULater

Post by CULater » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:14 pm

NavyIC3 wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:20 pm
Can you go to any post office for verification or just the ones listed? None of the PO's listed are close to me.
Far as I know, you have to go to the ones listed. Some P.O.s are in supermarkets and such, and these don't provide full services. You have to go to a regular P.O. with full services and these are the ones listed.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:52 pm

I answered the questions correctly, and was told I was wrong.

I went to the post office and got set up. A minor hassle, but was worth it.

I like getting the daily emails.
Funding secured

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:27 pm

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:24 pm
cheese_breath wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:01 pm
GoldStar wrote:
Now that you mention it, I get pictures of other people's mail but never receive it, so I assume they did leave a forwarding address. I really shouldn't be privy to the mail in the first place -- probably a programming bug.
I once saw a picture of two pieces of mail at once. A small postcard-sized piece of junkmail addressed to me in front of a larger piece of junkmail with someone else's address. They must have stuck together while being fed through the scanner. I only received the one addressed to me.

While the vast majority of my mail is junk, I find the service quite valuable to show me when a piece of non-junk arrives. My mailbox is a quarter mile away, so now I only go to it on days when I expect to find something useful, or once every three days or so to be sure the box isn't totally filled with junk.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:32 pm

mortfree wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:58 pm
The app allows you to report mail that was not delivered. They built that functionality into it so I guess they expect mail to not be delivered.
No app needed for that. The email has this blurb at the bottom:

“Mailpieces may arrive several days after you receive the notification. Please allow up to a week for delivery before reporting missing mail.”

And below it a link to the website to report a missing item.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:24 pm

We find it to be unreliable. We seem to receive everything they show. However, we also receive mail that should have been scanned, and was not. The mail without images sometimes comes after an email telling us they do not have images, sometimes with other mail that has been scanned, and sometimes without an email notice.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:58 pm

USPS uses data from the credit bureaus to verify your identity, so make sure your data is correct at the credit bureaus before you sign up for USPS Informed Delivery. It's really that simple.

CULater

Post by CULater » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:24 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:58 pm
USPS uses data from the credit bureaus to verify your identity, so make sure your data is correct at the credit bureaus before you sign up for USPS Informed Delivery. It's really that simple.
So, here's the thing. I have my credit frozen but the questions that came up for Informed Delivery verification were legit questions about former addresses, etc. I answered them all correctly, but was denied. Tell me how having my credit frozen made any difference in this process. How would the verification process have been possible at all with my credit frozen - where would the questions have come from? Just my hunch that their verification process is flawed and it doesn't make any difference if your credit is frozen or not. Maybe someone who flunked with their credit frozen will want to go to the trouble and expense to lift the freeze and try again and let us know if that made any difference. Until that happens -- nobody knows nuttin'

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:31 pm

CULater wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:24 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:58 pm
So, here's the thing. I have my credit frozen but the questions that came up for Informed Delivery verification were legit questions about former addresses, etc. I answered them all correctly, but was denied. Tell me how having my credit frozen made any difference in this process. How would the verification process have been possible at all with my credit frozen - where would the questions have come from? Just my hunch that their verification process is flawed and it doesn't make any difference if your credit is frozen or not. Maybe someone who flunked with their credit frozen will want to go to the trouble and expense to lift the freeze and try again and let us know if that made any difference. Until that happens -- nobody knows nuttin'
My post that you quoted doesn't mention freezing or unfreezing credit. It said that you need to make sure your data at the credit bureaus is correct, and that's a completely different issue.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:53 pm

LOL. The irony of getting junk e-mail with pictures of your junk mail.
That is funny! :P :P :P :P :P :P

I think some of you are mistaken about them using information from the credit bureaus to verify your identity.
The "identity questions" they presented when I registered were obviously from their own postal databases.
They gave me multiple choice to answer questions regarding my former address(s). Going back 25 years. Also one question regarding phone numbers.
Nothing like the kind you get re: the make of car you drive, the name of a mortgage company you had.

Besides, in order to access the credit bureau data bases they would have to have a SS#.
USPS did not ask me for SS# or D.O.B. when I signed up for Informed Delivery, just name and address.

So I think the worries about info at the credit bureaus, or freezes in place, are not a factor in this.

(Haven't been registered long enough to give a report on how it is working here. Suffice it to say the reports given by others here probably can be relied upon to give a true picture. After all, the words USPS and Informed in the same sentence seem like an oxymoron for sure :idea:

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 am

I just received a nice EMail from USPS...

"As a valued Informed Delivery user, we want you to know that you may experience temporary mail delivery delays of the items you viewed in your Aug. 8 Informed Delivery email notification. In addition, you may not receive any images in your Aug. 9 notification. We are currently resolving the issue that caused this situation and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. In the meantime, as always, please wait for seven days after receiving your Informed Delivery email before reporting your mail missing. We are working to return to normal operations as quickly as possible. Additional updates will be provided as soon as they are available."

I think I figured it out they screwed up when my mailbox was empty yesterday. And has anybody tried waiting seven days before notifying them of a missing mail item? My experience was the link from the EMail to the lost item expired after seven days.

keystone

Post by keystone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:01 am

DanMahowny wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:52 pm
I answered the questions correctly, and was told I was wrong.
Same here. The only way I could get setup was in person.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:40 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:52 pm
I answered the questions correctly, and was told I was wrong......
Maybe they thought you weren't really you. Somebody pretending to be U Maybe........

Porko, your illegal immigrant Mexican gardener!

:wink: :wink: