Replacing the cartridge in a kitchen faucet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jwblue

Replacing the cartridge in a kitchen faucet

Post by jwblue » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:07 pm

I am trying to replace the cartridge of a leaking kitchen faucet. The handle is attached with a hex nut. I was using a hex key to try and remove it. It was stuck and I must have stripped the nut.

Are there any other options for removing the nut? Could a hex nut driver remove the nut as well?

If the nut is drilled out can the nut be replaced or do I need a new handle? Delta actually offered to send me a new handle but is that necessary?

JoinToday

Re: Replacing the cartridge in a kitchen faucet

Post by JoinToday » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 pm

jwblue wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:07 pm
... The handle is attached with a hex nut.
You mean hex screw?
I was using a hex key to try and remove it.
Allen wrench
It was stuck and I must have stripped the nut.

Are there any other options for removing the nut? Could a hex nut driver remove the nut as well?

If the nut is drilled out can the nut be replaced or do I need a new handle? Delta actually offered to send me a new handle but is that necessary?
1. How old is the faucet?
2. if I can speculate on what you have, if you drill out the hex screw, you need a new handle. But it is hard to understand exactly what is going on if it really is a nut and not a screw. A picture would help.

Edited to add: PB Blaster is good for loosening stuck nuts & bolts in the automotive world, but I am not sure how good it is with built up water deposits (calcium, etc)
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

jwblue

Post by jwblue » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:24 pm

JoinToday wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 pm
jwblue wrote:
You mean hex screw?
Allen wrench
It was stuck and I must have stripped the nut.

1. How old is the faucet?
2. if I can speculate on what you have, if you drill out the hex screw, you need a new handle. But it is hard to understand exactly what is going on if it really is a nut and not a screw. A picture would help.

Edited to add: PB Blaster is good for loosening stuck nuts & bolts in the automotive world, but I am not sure how good it is with built up water deposits (calcium, etc)
It is a hex screw. Delta faucet 5 years old. Delta even offered to send me a new handle gratis when I told them the screw was stripped. I would rather not do that if it is not necessary. I was using an allen wrench.

Why do I need a new handle if all I need is a screw? Just asking.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Once again, check youtube.com and also online for an exploded diagram of the way the faucet fits together.

My Moen faucet had the hex bolt shear off and rather than wait for Moen to send me the parts, I just bought them within an hour at Home Depot. The handle did not need replacing, but the small part that had the remaining part of the hex bolt did as well as the bolt itself.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jwblue

Post by jwblue » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Time to call the handyman. Seems like this is over my head.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Youtube has videos for fixing just about anything. Check that out before calling the handyman. I had this problem with a Delta faucet. The item holding the handle to the lever is a hex SCREW. Needs an allen wrench. But once stripped, it's a goner. I took the mechanism apart asnd replaced the entire handle. While it it, also replaced other "wear parts." Home Depot has a kit. So do most hardware stores.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:27 pm

Delta has replaced multiple components of our kitchen faucet several times. Free lifetime warranty. Moen too.

jwblue

Post by jwblue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Our Delta kitchen faucet has a wand that has three buttons that change the water flow.

https://media.deltafaucet.com/MandI/X00085216_C.pdf (Page 9)

A plumber replaced the faucet cartridge. Now one of the buttons does not work. I called the plumber back and he claims that it has nothing to do with the work he did replacing the cartridge.

One of two things happened:

1) He broke the button.
2) The cartridge was not installed correctly causing the button to not work correctly. The button does seem to be jammed.

Is it possible this has to do with the cartridge not being installed correctly?

I called Delta customer service and they were of no help. The person I spoke to says the two issues are unrelated. He wanted to send me a new wand. The button worked yesterday. Now it does not.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:37 pm

I don't see how the cartridge and the wand operation are connected. If they want to send a new wand, why not?

danielrhall

Post by danielrhall » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 am

JoinToday wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 pm
jwblue wrote:
You mean hex screw?
Allen wrench
This reminded me of my technical training as a jet engine mechanic in the US Air Force. We were taught that Allen was a brand name and the correct name we should use for that particular tool was "internal wrenching set screw socket wrench". There's a mouthful.

Crescent wrench was the less unwieldy "adjustable jaws wrench".

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:43 am

Drill out old screw after new handle arrives. You will damage threads in old handle drilling it. Thats why they sending a new handle and screw. It does not have to be super tight when installing new one.