Minivan Vs SUV Experience

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
samta09

Minivan Vs SUV Experience

Post by samta09 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:12 am

Just wanted to share my thoughts between minivan and SUV.

We have a 2015 Toyota Sienna, a minivan, and it has been a pretty boring in terms of look and drive but super practical hauling our kids and extended family members, though we don’t realize it until we got a 2018 Volvo XC90 as a loaner for a few weeks. In term of handling, technology, and premium/luxury feel, it’s a no brainier that the Volvo is so much better. It’s feels so comfortable and luxurious that we almost wanted to trade in the minivan. I definitely see the value in driving a luxury SUV, if one can comfortable afford. However, it just could not beat the minivan’s practicality. Our kids can go in and out much easier with the sliding doors and the car is lower.

The sliding doors are so convenience after dealing with conventional doors. With sliding doors, when our kids get in/out, I simply hit a button and they slide in/out. I don’t have to worry about hitting another car on either sides. Our daughter is old enough now that she can opens and closes the doors. I couldn’t do that on the SUV.

The 3rd row is much easier to get in/out. We realized how impractical the Volvo was when we hauled 5 kids and one adult into the car, especially two of the seats had car seats in them. My 5 and half years old daughter kept complaining that she doesn’t like Volvo whenever she sees it because she always had a hard time to climb up and into the car. My 2 and half son however, loves the Volvo’s expansive sun roof because he doesn’t have to climb up and think the sky is cool looking but I’m sure he’ll come to hate it too as he gets older. I, on the other hand, loves the Volvo and can’t wait to get one but can’t be selfish so the kids win.

After weighing the pros/cons between the two cars, I admit that minivan is hands down better for young kids, especially those in car /booster seats. The SUV is definitely better in every other aspects, except the practicality standpoint. I’ll definitely invest in a luxury SUV, like a Volvo, when our kids are older but as of now, the minivan wins.

niceguy7376

Re: Minivan Vs SUV Experience

Post by niceguy7376 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am

How can you compare a toyota sienna with a luxury SUV like XC90? Price differential is of magnitude 15K minimum for similar trim levels.

Minivan is the most practical vehicle for family with kids till middle school age for sure

RDB

Post by RDB » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:54 am

We have an Odyssey and an XC90. We have three kids and they have been inside the Volvo like 5 times, ever. It is a great car, but as you said, that size of SUV just does not compare to a minivan with kids.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:02 am

Cargo space

Sienna: 39.1 ft³, 150 ft³ with seat area
XC90: 15.8 ft³, 85.7 ft³ with seat area

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:07 am

I never understood the “luxury” SUV. Or the “luxury” pickup. But they sell and fill some primordial need in us, I guess.

The minivan, I get.

JT

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:11 am

The kids wont be kids for long. When the time is right, go for the SUV if it works for you.

Quick

Post by Quick » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:18 am

I was in your position 2 years ago. I bought the SUV. I regret not buying the minivan almost everyday.

I think the poster above was correct. Use the minivan until the kids are older, then get what YOU want.

sjt

Post by sjt » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 am

niceguy7376 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am
How can you compare a toyota sienna with a luxury SUV like XC90? Price differential is of magnitude 15K minimum for similar trim levels.
This. Cool blog post for sure.

Stay tuned for my post comparing a Civic to F250.
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am

samta09 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:12 am
The SUV is definitely better in every other aspects, except the practicality standpoint.
What other aspects? My Sienna minivan has a moonroof, AWD and gets the same gas mileage as a XC90?

samta09

Post by samta09 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am

sjt wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 am
niceguy7376 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:18 am
This. Cool blog post for sure.

Stay tuned for my post comparing a Civic to F250.
ha! I'm no car expert, just happened to have an XC90 for the week. Luxury or not, most SUVs are probably fall into similar issues in term of practicality vs minivans. See title, "Minivan vs SUV Experience"

samta09

Post by samta09 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am
samta09 wrote:
The SUV is definitely better in every other aspects, except the practicality standpoint.
What other aspects? My Sienna minivan has a moonroof, AWD and gets the same gas mileage as a XC90?
Drive one and come back to comment.

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 am

I love my minivan, and still do even though the kids are long since grown and moved out. I can't count the number of times it's been used for sheetrock, lumber, water heater, refrigerator, and other large items from the home center. Or a furniture item from Craigslist. No need to borrow a vehicle or schedule delivery. Even though the SUV has "utility" in its name, the minivan wins the utility contest hands down. And what makes SUV's "sporty"? For the most part they are just a car, but with a tall, boxy body.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am

bottlecap wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:07 am
I never understood the “luxury” SUV. Or the “luxury” pickup. But they sell and fill some primordial need in us, I guess.

The minivan, I get.

JT
I think perception of status, safety and prestige are what drives luxury SUV sales. Also general observation regarding the non-boglehead demographic; most normal cars on the road today will go unnoticed or uncommented on when people get inside them. An optioned out mid-range luxury SUV will still elicit some sort of positive attention and possible envy.

I appreciate minivans and enjoy driving them the few occasions I need to; my girlfriend on the other hand, who is one of the least materialistic / status-seeking person I know, but even she has a very negative view of minivans. She associates it with certain things and lifestyles that will be difficult to uncouple. A Toyota RAV4 or Honda CRV is as “minivan” as she will ever get.

I feel like there is a bit of an escalator effect generationally, in regards to perception and fashion with cars like station wagons, minivans, SUVs and crossovers. With one emerging generation they are viewed as practical carryalls that compliments your active and varied lifestyle, the following generation views them as a fuddy lifestyle compromise and veer off in a slightly different direction. With some millennials, there is a definite distaste for vehicles like the Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot because those are the vehicles they grew up in in the back seat and was probably the vehicle that took them to college.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 am

stimulacra wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am
bottlecap wrote:

The minivan, I get.

JT
I think perception of status, safety and prestige are what drives luxury SUV sales. Also general observation regarding the non-boglehead demographic; most normal cars on the road today will go unnoticed or uncommented on when people get inside them. An optioned out mid-range luxury SUV will still elicit some sort of positive attention and possible envy.
Key word being perception. SUVs make no sense (to me), for almost every situation; the most confusing being these "sporty" sport utility vehicles. They're essentially useless off the pavement, don't perform close to as well as an actual sports car, and often have little utilitarian value (their ability to carry or haul things is limited compared to a truck or minivan). They are essentially the worst of all worlds, except status.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:33 am

Agreed, what bogles my mind the most is that many luxury marques have more SUV and crossover models than they do sedans, coupes and wagons combined. The micro-segemtation of the various models (i.e. coupe versions of various SUVs that amounts to zero headroom in the backseat and diminished rear cargo). Also making sub-compact hatches and wagons into entry level luxury-SUVs with body cladding and AWD (MB GLA, Infiniti Q30) is the most obvious cash-grab that consumers are actually falling for.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:22 am

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:53 am
stimulacra wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am
bottlecap wrote:

The minivan, I get.

JT
Key word being perception. SUVs make no sense (to me), for almost every situation; the most confusing being these "sporty" sport utility vehicles. They're essentially useless off the pavement, don't perform close to as well as an actual sports car, and often have little utilitarian value (their ability to carry or haul things is limited compared to a truck or minivan). They are essentially the worst of all worlds, except status.
I wasn’t going that crazy. I just don’t get something intended to utilitarian and putting elegant trim in it and then using it as a daily commuter. In this day and age, even non-luxury SUVs and pickups are pretty posh.

JT

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:36 am

stoptothink wrote:
:beer I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I don't understand the love of SUVs and the disdain for minivans.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:36 am
stoptothink wrote:
:beer I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I don't understand the love of SUVs and the disdain for minivans.
People love SUVs for a number of reasons. Some people like or even need the ground clearance of SUVs. Even I, a minivan driver, covet the ground clearance at times and wish I had one for the few drives a year I make up Forest Service gravel roads. Some people love them because they like sitting up high. It helps with visibility. You can see better when pulling out of some driveways, onto some roads, while sitting behind larger vehicles in a life of traffic, etc. Further, the knowledge that you have all that mass to protect you and your family in an accident (and it really does protect you in many types of accidents, although I don't want this to turn into a debate about what type of vehicle is safer -- there are too many threads here devoted to that debate) is reassuring to many. Finally, it's a power thing. The few times I've rented large SUVs I was surprised to find myself thinking thoughts like this: "Yeah, go ahead and pull out in front of me little car. I'll squash you like a bug." Alarming, really.

GulfCoast

Post by GulfCoast » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:05 pm

bottlecap wrote:

The minivan, I get.

JT
Think of it this way. Let's say you buy a travel trailer and watch to see the country. Would you rather drive a bare-bones truck or something more premium? Personally, I would get a higher trim level truck with some creature comforts (heated and cooled seats, uplevel stereo, etc).

gips

Post by gips » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:07 pm

hate, hate minivans, three kids and a dog, had odyssey minivans until the oldest went off to college then switched to an acura mdx. Now, with an empty nest, will downsize again for the next purchase.
Last edited by gips on Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:08 pm

samta09 wrote:

After weighing the pros/cons between the two cars, I admit that minivan is hands down better for young kids, especially those in car /booster seats. The SUV is definitely better in every other aspects, except the practicality standpoint.
+1. Kid-hauler initially (every kid brings a friend, as you now know), then go for the adventure-car when they're cycling and camping and skiing and 'boarding and...

We've craved more fuel-efficient and/or sportier vehicles but they've gotta serve their actual purpose.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:36 pm

GulfCoast wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:05 pm
bottlecap wrote:

The minivan, I get.

JT
Think of it this way. Let's say you buy a travel trailer and watch to see the country. Would you rather drive a bare-bones truck or something more premium? Personally, I would get a higher trim level truck with some creature comforts (heated and cooled seats, uplevel stereo, etc).
But that's my point - there is plenty in between and lots of non-luxury brands have essentially all of the "luxury" features nowadays.

JT

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:51 pm

samta09 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am
lthenderson wrote:
samta09 wrote:
What a copout answer. You were the one who posted about your experience driving both and now you don't want to share information when someone asks a question. Why post to begin with?

samta09

Post by samta09 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:51 pm
samta09 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
samta09 wrote:
What a copout answer. You were the one who posted about your experience driving both and now you don't want to share information when someone asks a question. Why post to begin with?
Quite the opposite. I did state it feels comfortable and luxurious but these benefits are not tangible so go out and drive one to see for yourself. Perhaps you need to read it thoroughly.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:23 pm

We have a 2011 Sienna (I still love it) and, as you stated, it is super practical. It's been wonderful to drive, to haul groceries, landscaping supplies, etc. The kids just get in and out without any issues.

I've been thinking about getting something smaller, but I really do like the space it provides. I will probably drive it until it dies.... :?:

Mjar

Post by Mjar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:30 pm

Maybe I don't get the whole craze of SUV/XO-SUVs, most just seem like a car/hatchback with higher clearance. Mini-Van I understand, don't like them but understand and own a Sienna. To me a SUV is "cooler" version of a minivan with little no practicality compared to a minivan. Every time I sit in a SUV/XO-SUV I feel there no more extra room in the vehicle than a average sedan.

I must be in the minority as SUV/Xo-SUV have flooded the market and car mfg's are starting to limiting/discontinue developing Sedans ala Ford recent announcement. I like the minivan because I can get a 4x8 sheet of plywood one day and get the kids and their friends in the next day then pack the van up for a trip the third, etc but those are my needs.

I know you didn't ask this question but others who may wonder.....If you have the need for mini-van space for the next 10 years then get a mini-van and put bells and whistles into to it to enjoy, if not I would get a large sedan and put bells and whistles on it instead of getting a SUV/XO-SUV. I am eyeing a fully loaded top trim Mazda3 Hatchback vs getting a XO-SUV like my dad and other family members have recently purchased to replace my Camry.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:23 pm

My daughter has an Odyssey that is very practical for hauling my 3 granddaughters, their friends, their stuff and the golden retriever. When my 2 daughters were at that age the Plymouth Voyager and Dodge (forget the model, maybe Caravan?) mini vans were the popular items. We went with station wagons - a full sized Chevy, then an intermediate Pontiac and finally a Volvo 240. We've pretty much stuck with wagons (as the primary car) ever since. Test drove a few SUVs when we were buying our last car but they just weren't for us. Didn't really consider a mini van; maybe we should have as I'm old enough now that I no longer have an image to protect. :(
Friar1610

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:25 pm

The minivan phase passes (faster than you think).

I proudly drove a mini-van for 7 years. Was a bit sad to part with it, but kids grow up. Kids start driving themselves.

Keep the mini-van. You will know when it is time to part ways.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

neednewcar

Post by neednewcar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:19 pm

Minivan is better in every way than a 3 row SUV if you have kids. Fuel economy, safety, car seats, ease of access. 3 row SUVs suck.

Read the bottom of this page:

http://thecarseatlady.com/2017familyvehiclebuyingguide/

Bruce T

Post by Bruce T » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:28 pm

+1 on minivan ... we had a Sienna for 10+ years, was the most reliable vehicle we ever had, also had all the pluses mentioned above (cargo room, comfort on long trips, most of the same features available - excepting clearance and higher end drive train options)... once kids off to college, we swapped to a Honda Pilot (DW's choice) ... I would go back to the Sienna in a heartbeat ... recent long trip (12 hour drive) was previously much more comfortable in the Sienna due to: more space, am guessing longer wheel base, and better second row seats (captain's not bench)... I really recommend sticking w/ the Sienna at least while kids are in the picture.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:57 pm

I recently read that a lot of the soccer moms have already switched from minivans to 3-row SUVs like the Toyota Highlander.

five2one

Post by five2one » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:23 pm

Go for the middle.
Chevy traverse.

We looked at them all (GLs, XC90s, minivans, etc.) and the traverse has been great for 3 kids, good MPG, and captain chairs with DVD for long road trips.
Our next one will likely be a suburban with captain chairs.

I'd love to get her a GL but no captain chairs and benz maintenance is horrible.

camillus

Post by camillus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:11 am

I don't think it's merely about status. A full size SUV probably has more "felt security" by way of having more mass, height & power than a minivan. An SUV might inspire more confidence when behind the wheel.

I think there's image/status stuff wrapped in too, especially for stay at home parents.

Personally, I am a mainly stay-at-home dad and I drive a Honda Odyssey - because it's awesome.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 am

samta09 wrote:

We have a 2015 Toyota Sienna, a minivan, and it has been a pretty boring in terms of look and drive but super practical hauling our kids and extended family members, though we don’t realize it until we got a 2018 Volvo XC90 as a loaner for a few weeks.

My 5 and half years old daughter kept complaining that she doesn’t like Volvo whenever she sees it because she always had a hard time to climb up and into the car. My 2 and half son however, loves the Volvo’s expansive sun roof because he doesn’t have to climb up and think the sky is cool looking but I’m sure he’ll come to hate it too as he gets older.

Whether or not children complain about - or like - a car wouldn't be a factor for us.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:23 am

Trism wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 am
samta09 wrote:

We have a 2015 Toyota Sienna, a minivan, and it has been a pretty boring in terms of look and drive but super practical hauling our kids and extended family members, though we don’t realize it until we got a 2018 Volvo XC90 as a loaner for a few weeks.

My 5 and half years old daughter kept complaining that she doesn’t like Volvo whenever she sees it because she always had a hard time to climb up and into the car. My 2 and half son however, loves the Volvo’s expansive sun roof because he doesn’t have to climb up and think the sky is cool looking but I’m sure he’ll come to hate it too as he gets older.

Whether or not children complain about - or like - a car wouldn't be a factor for us.
Why would you say this? If you are buying a vehicle to tote your kids around, why wouldn't you want it to be kid friendly?

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:54 am

The term “sport utility vehicle” is used very loosely these days and applied to vehicles that provide neither sport nor utility. I think the marketing people just saw the light in the 90s that folks wanted a way to haul kids around without looking like a schmuck in a minivan. Most SUVs today are just minivans in a different wrapper.

I should know I drove a minivan for years.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:02 am

munemaker wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:23 am
Trism wrote:
samta09 wrote:

Why would you say this? If you are buying a vehicle to tote your kids around, why wouldn't you want it to be kid friendly?
To me it's like choosing a house with a larger yard because you think the dog will like it better.

I'm not directly comparing dogs to children, but keep some perspective.

Whether or not children encounter minor inconveniences entering/existing a car before they're in elementary school has no bearing on whether they'll turn out to be good citizens or ax murderers.

Also, neither children nor dogs pay for things. Not that I'm directly comparing.

BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:24 am

As a two car household, we own a 2006 minivan and a 2009 SUV. Three of our four kids are college aged now so we’ve outgrown the minivan for probably 11 out of 12 months of the year. Like many Bogleheads, my wife and I are thrifty which means we’re hoping to get another five years out of the minivan— if it’s still running well, neither of us see good reason to replace it (though neither of us particularly loves it). Once the minivan dies (or we shoot it), we’ll likely replace it with a sedan. We live in the mountains and spend substantial time in the backcountry so we’ll also keep one sort of 4WD (SUV or pickup truck) when it comes time to replace our 4 Runner.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:25 am

Trism wrote:
Boo.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:28 am

Trism wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:02 am

To me it's like choosing a house with a larger yard because you think the dog will like it better.

Whether or not children encounter minor inconveniences entering/existing a car before they're in elementary school has no bearing on whether they'll turn out to be good citizens or ax murderers.

Also, neither children nor dogs pay for things. Not that I'm directly comparing.
Then it gets worse, see above. If your DW (Or DH if that's the case) is a stay at home parent, does she get no say in purchases cause like she is not paying for them? Does the comfort of your more vulnerable family members mean nothing to you?

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:49 am

mouses wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:25 am
Trism wrote:
Boo.
Boo who?

Kids complain about brushing their teeth, or doing homework, or having to walk from one end of the grocery store to the other, or having to hug
Grandma.

It's up to you if children complaining is a major factor in decision making. I didn't tell you how I thought you should make decisions, I stated how our logic works.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:01 am

mouses wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:28 am
Trism wrote:

Then it gets worse, see above. If your DW (Or DH if that's the case) is a stay at home parent, does she get no say in purchases cause like she is not paying for them? Does the comfort of your more vulnerable family members mean nothing to you?
Financial decisions and purchases in our house are made jointly by both adults.

Comfort is a relative term. One of our best friends' kids loves to hide inside a wooden toy box that's barely bigger than he is. They practically have to drag him out at meal time.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:27 am

Mjar wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:30 pm
Maybe I don't get the whole craze of SUV/XO-SUVs, most just seem like a car/hatchback with higher clearance. Mini-Van I understand, don't like them but understand and own a Sienna. To me a SUV is "cooler" version of a minivan with little no practicality compared to a minivan. Every time I sit in a SUV/XO-SUV I feel there no more extra room in the vehicle than a average sedan.

I don't get the whole sedan thing. Aren't they just hatchbacks with the functionality removed for vanity styling:) Yes CUVs are just lifted wagons (and not by a ton these days). They are still so much more functional than sedans:)

Nobody cares what you drive. Pick what works for you. I will say I love my odyssey except for the horrible seats and NVH. Unfortunately those are 2 of the biggest factors when driving 2+ hours. But the utlity for normal driving of <30mins makes putting up with it worthwhile.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:34 am

samta09 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:53 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:51 pm
samta09 wrote:
lthenderson wrote:
samta09 wrote:
Quite the opposite. I did state it feels comfortable and luxurious but these benefits are not tangible so go out and drive one to see for yourself. Perhaps you need to read it thoroughly.
Again, another snarky answer. I think we can agree that any luxury vehicle be it a SUV, sedan, truck or minivan is going to feel more comfortable and luxurious than a vehicle made for the masses. But you said EVERY OTHER ASPECT. I gave you three aspects of a minivan that are equivalent between the two models listed. As mentioned above, the storage aspect is greater in the minivan than the XC90.

I've sincerely asked twice now what other aspects you are referring since you obviously would have that knowledge base having driven both vehicles and twice you have blown it off by saying to go drive one myself. So it leads me to the conclusion that the only aspects you were referring to was that luxurious feeling which is like comparing an apple to an orange and saying an orange is inferior because it doesn't taste like an apple.

timmy

Post by timmy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:38 am

Minivan. As a family haulers, an SUV can't touch it.

In terms of the stigma with minivans, and there is stigma, sometime between the age of 20 to 25 nature turns us all uncool. (It's science, for sure.) So own it and move on :sharebeer

freckles01

Post by freckles01 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:45 am

Rupert wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm
jhfenton wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:36 am
stoptothink wrote:
People love SUVs for a number of reasons. Some people like or even need the ground clearance of SUVs. Even I, a minivan driver, covet the ground clearance at times and wish I had one for the few drives a year I make up Forest Service gravel roads. Some people love them because they like sitting up high. It helps with visibility. You can see better when pulling out of some driveways, onto some roads, while sitting behind larger vehicles in a life of traffic, etc. Further, the knowledge that you have all that mass to protect you and your family in an accident (and it really does protect you in many types of accidents, although I don't want this to turn into a debate about what type of vehicle is safer -- there are too many threads here devoted to that debate) is reassuring to many. Finally, it's a power thing. The few times I've rented large SUVs I was surprised to find myself thinking thoughts like this: "Yeah, go ahead and pull out in front of me little car. I'll squash you like a bug." Alarming, really.
Its a power thing- thats the scariest part of maneuvering around the city as a person who walks, bikes and drives a smaller car.

Multiple times on a daily basis I witness people driving large SUVs with the exact same mentality of "i'll squash you like a bug" to everyone else on the road. Even if they might not mean it intentionally- their wide tall long ( and with dark tinted windows) super mass is just that- super massive compared to people walking, biking, or driving smaller/medium sized cars.... tanks in a civilian setting may "feel" safe for the SUV owner but is an unsettling experience for me at least trying to move safely around them.

I don't want to turn this into a different subject matter but I prefer minivans- more efficient use of space, people friendly- comfy seats, user friendly considerate sliding doors, large windows for safer driving, front "nose" is sloped to see below ( for smaller kids and animals), easier to make eye contact with the driver when crossing the street etc..... don't give a crap about the perceived "cool" factor- its all propaganda.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 pm

Trism wrote:

If we currently had a dog (which we don't), we would definitely factor in an appropriate yard for the dog when considering purchasing a home.

Obviously the adults make the decision, not the dog or the kids, but we would consider the needs of all family members in such decisions.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 am

munemaker wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 pm
Trism wrote:

If we currently had a dog (which we don't), we would definitely factor in an appropriate yard for the dog when considering purchasing a home.

Obviously the adults make the decision, not the dog or the kids, but we would consider the needs of all family members in such decisions.
I have a cat, but if I had a dog, I would want him to have a good place to play and exercise, so that would be part of my decision too.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:27 am

Rupert wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:00 pm
Finally, it's a power thing. The few times I've rented large SUVs I was surprised to find myself thinking thoughts like this: "Yeah, go ahead and pull out in front of me little car. I'll squash you like a bug." Alarming, really.
I don't like what I think of as monster cars. They're bad for the environment, about which the latest is we're past the tipping point of ever getting back to normal, the question now is, will the planet become uninhabitable completely, they're conspicuous consumption, wasteful of resources, their d**m headlights shine right into the rear view mirrors or, oncoming, eyes of the drivers of sedans/coupes.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:44 am

mouses wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 am
munemaker wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:56 pm
Trism wrote:

I have a cat, but if I had a dog, I would want him to have a good place to play and exercise, so that would be part of my decision too.
I wasn't suggesting choosing a home with an inadequate yard for a dog you already have.

It doesn't make sense to by a larger-than-adequate yard because your dog will like it better.

Somehow my comments have been interpreted as being pro-torture for both animals and children. :shock: :D