Which diet soda pop do you enjoy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LMBFlorida

Re: Which diet soda pop do you enjoy?

Post by LMBFlorida »

My go to had been Coke Zero Cherry but recently I have switched to the new Zesty Blood Orange Diet Coke. Comes in a taller thinner 12 oz can and as the name states has a "Zesty" flavor. I have one a day typically in the afternoon for my daily dose of caffeine.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

CppCoder wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 pm Since we're on this subject, does anyone else love those machines they have in some fast casual restaurants where you select the soda from a menu instead of having a few predetermined slots?
No, hate them. Unless you choose a strong drink like Root Beer from it, all of the diet stuff tastes mildly of cherry or some other aftertaste. None of the normal soda tastes as it should. Bound to happen when you have only one dispenser.

On another random note: Mountain Dew tastes best out of an aluminum can.
UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor »

Popped in here expecting all the hippies who don't understand science to be incoherently blabbering about the harmful effects of artificial sweeteners, which is of course total nonsense. A couple misinformed posts, but pleasantly surprised.

Diet Mountain Dew.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Through about age 33 (I'm 45 now), my friends always joked about how much regular Coke I drank. At that point, I switched to low calorie drinks and lost almost 40 pounds that year. Today, I prefer Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke, but could drink the latter in a pinch. I also drink a lot of flavored waters with no calories too.

A couple times since I switched I've been somewhere with only regular Coke and found it undrinkable. So weird how tastes change.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Loik098 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:39 pm On another random note: Mountain Dew tastes best out of an aluminum can.
All sodas for me. For some reason the soda out of plastic bottles just isn't the same. Doesn't seem as cold either, even though I know the physics doesn't work.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:30 pm
Loik098 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:39 pm On another random note: Mountain Dew tastes best out of an aluminum can.
All sodas for me. For some reason the soda out of plastic bottles just isn't the same. Doesn't seem as cold either, even though I know the physics doesn't work.
I prefer the taste of any beverage out of a glass bottle, but those are more and more difficult to find.

But the taste from an aluminum can is invariably "metallic". Blech.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:30 pm
I agree for the exact same reason: it seems colder, or at least (psychologically) it seems to stay colder for longer once opened.

That, and it's not as carbonated. I prefer a very slightly flat soda. The plastic bottles have too much carbonation for my liking.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Coke Zero. I have to substitute for Diet Coke/Pepsi sometimes as it seems to be carried places less and less.
MetaPhysician

Post by MetaPhysician »

What exactly do we like in diet soda?

I thought I liked the caffeine - until I found energy drinks, coffee, caffeine tablets etc. The latter provided more of a energy lift.

I thought I liked the dark colored cola. But then I found out what I really like.

It was the carbonation.

I found this out by buying one of those clear fruit flavored carbonated beverages without any caffeine at the local grocery store.

I like the way it makes me feel full.

Any one else agree?
hudson

Post by hudson »

GoldStar wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:22 am Diet Pepsi flavored with a shot or two of Captain Morgan's spiced Rum.
But if I come to your house and you only have Diet Coke that's fine with my Captain Morgan's as well.
If you don't have Captain's any spiced rum will do.
If you don't have spiced rum regular rum will suffice.
If you don't have rum Jim-Beam or Jack-Daniels with my Diet Pepsi work as well.
It sounds like ANY PORT IN A STORM!

If coke zero is not available, I'm fine with any diet cola.
merr14

Post by merr14 »

Tab! Since high school. I'm 54 now. It's the only soda we buy at my house. People are always surprised that it's still being made when they see me with a can of Tab.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

merr14 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:58 pm Tab! Since high school. I'm 54 now. It's the only soda we buy at my house. People are always surprised that it's still being made when they see me with a can of Tab.
The pending demise of Tab, once the cola for "beautiful people."

https://www.today.com/food/coca-cola-wi ... 20-t195035

In 2020, my favorites are Pepsi Max, the various types of Coke Zero, and Diet Mountain Dew. :wink:
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

How did I miss this thread for so long?

Earl, I whole heartedly endorse your original list. I love all of them, including Mountain Dew and A&W Root Beer.

I also really like Fresca once in a while......

I really crave a good grape flavor though, but I’ve never found one. (I’ve found some diet grape drinks, but they’ve never tasted right to me).

I’m not sad that Tab is disappearing though.....
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

livesoft wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:37 pm Dr Pepper 10. Better than Diet Dr Pepper.

But I believe that the increase of consumption of soda pop has led to the increase of kidney stones at younger and younger ages. The pH of and the oxalate in these beverages are probably the cause.
Chemist here. I took the pH of several beverages when I had stomach issues a decade ago. Tea, coffee, and diet coke were all the same pH. That said, I limit myself to one diet coke per day. Caffeine makes me jittery. (The stomach issues were unrelaed to my food or beverage intake and required major surgery).
Rudy Tooty

Post by Rudy Tooty »

Shasta Diet Cola. I can get a 2.5 liter bottle for 99 cents. I've acquired a taste for it and like it better than diet coke or pepsi. I drink a ton of it and have for years. At least a bottle a day. Every 2-3 months I return enough empty plastic bottles to the recycler to get a refund of about $25. If all the negative health news about diet soda was true I'd probably be dead by now.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Diet Sam’s Choice Cola. Available at Walmart.

Tastes about like Diet Coke. At about half the price.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
jjface

Post by jjface »

pibb zero is better than diet dr pepper
squirm

Post by squirm »

UpsetRaptor wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:45 pm Popped in here expecting all the hippies who don't understand science to be incoherently blabbering about the harmful effects of artificial sweeteners, which is of course total nonsense. A couple misinformed posts, but pleasantly surprised.

Diet Mountain Dew.
Yeah, I was expecting 50 post post with a wall of blabbering text from the food police telling everyone how wrong they are eating/drinking diet stuff.

This is nice for a change.
For me, diet sierra mist.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I drink very little soda pop. Maybe one a week. Mostly from a fast food burger place
Cola: diet Pepsi
Other : diet Crush orange, diet root beer.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Zevia
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

Diet Pepsi on those occasions when I drink soda. I drink lots of flavored seltzer water. It's a lot healthier than soda pop and less boring than plain water.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

tinscale wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 pm
tinscale wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 pm Coke Zero (now Coke Zero Sugar), caffeine-free. It's the only diet soda that to me does not taste oversweetened.
Edited to add "caffeine-free"
I like diet caffeine free pepsi. Also diet dr pepper which has some caffeine but not much.

Also diet 7 up, diet rite peach if I can find it.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

El Greco wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:50 pm Diet Pepsi. I think Diet Coke tastes awful.
I'm the exact opposite. I rarely drink soda anymore, but I've always thought Pepsi products were the worst.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Since my favorite Tab is disappearing, some other diet pop I enjoy:

Faygo Arctic Sun
Faygo 60/40 (on hiatus in diet, I believe)
Faygo Rock and Rye
Ale 81 (diet) Diet is only in bottles in KY/OH/TN/IN (Cocal Cola Bottler sells regular version in cans)
Vernor's
Ruby Red Squirt
dru808

Post by dru808 »

The only diet anything I like is red bull sugar free.
JnyVuko

Post by JnyVuko »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:11 pm
rterickson wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:52 pm Just heard on the news recently that Canada Dry are being sued because their ginger ale doesn't have any ginger in it.

I miss Tab.
Tab is still available, at least here.
I read yesterday that Coke is discontinuing Tab. Maybe I'll buy a can or two for nostalgia.
JnyVuko

Post by JnyVuko »

In order of preference:

Diet A&W
Diet Dr. Pepper
Diet Pepsi
Diet Ginger Ale
Diet Coke
Diet Tonic Water (Schweppes)
Sparkling water with Crystal Light flavorings
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

I seldom drink soda, but when I do it's Bedford's Diet Ginger Beer. It has the vibrant taste of ginger that I love., either straight or in a Dark-n-Stormy or Moscow Mule.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

squirm wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:16 pm For me, diet sierra mist.
I have a friend who drinks diet sierra mist - but hasn't been available in my area for months d/t pandemic. I think she's become accustomed to Big K Lemon-Lime.
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

Coke zero. Hands down
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

Coke Zero.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
egrets

Post by egrets »

CppCoder wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 pm Coke Zero Sugar (and its variants). How can people claim Coke Zero to be their favorite without knowing that Coke changed the name a few months ago?
Probably they're like me, and just look for the package.

My vote is Diet caffeine-free coke.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I have decreased my soda consumption by a HUGE amount. I was consuming a lot of Coca Cola daily. Now that has been gone for a while. Once in a while I drink some or perhaps a diet. Now that it has decreased in my system, I find soda disgusting on a very hot day. Or if I consume soda, the sugar rush is more apparent as my body is not as conditioned.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Or yes, and Diet Coke! Never liked Pepsi at all.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
egrets

Post by egrets »

JnyVuko wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:59 pm
rterickson wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:52 pm Just heard on the news recently that Canada Dry are being sued because their ginger ale doesn't have any ginger in it.

I miss Tab.
I read yesterday that Coke is discontinuing Tab. Maybe I'll buy a can or two for nostalgia.
Nooooo "Blame the pandemic for Tab getting canned, as the company plans to cut more than half of its 500 brands, according to the Wall Street Journal, which first reported Tab being discontinued."
egrets

Post by egrets »

JnyVuko wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:59 pm

I miss Tab.
Nooooo "Blame the pandemic for Tab getting canned, as the company plans to cut more than half of its 500 brands, according to the Wall Street Journal, which first reported Tab being discontinued."
golfer292

Post by golfer292 »

Coca cola 0 sugar. To me it tastes like the cola I enjoyed when i was a kid. It came in the small glass bottle, 6 or 6.5 oz as i remember.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

I love the sparkling waters from Aldi. So many times on a week night i think of having a beer, but instead just have a fizzy water, saving me from having a couple hundred empty calories at the end of a night.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Diet Coke. Diet Pepsi tastes like paint thinner would taste.
otinkyad

Post by otinkyad »

Caffeine Free Diet Dr Pepper, another unofficial victim of the pandemic shortages, at least locally. I’m seizing the opportunity to switch to unsweetened, flavored and unflavored sparkling water. Waterloo Black Cherry is my current favorite.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Fresca is the top commercial diet soda for me - brings back memories of my childhood. The only diet soda I truly enjoy. I don't think the adults in my life back then even knew it was a diet drink, just something different, maybe Squirt-lite.

2nd place: Diet Coke if I don't feel like regular Coke.

But...
For me, most artificially sweetened beverages are extremely highly overcompensated, many times sweeter than I would ever seek out myself. Diluting regular sugared soda pop with seltzer water or club soda works very well for me. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so it took very little effort to get me there, just a gradual shift. The flavored seltzer waters of the past several years are a game changer, most are delightful if they leave out all sweeteners.

So in the end, club soda with a slice of fresh lemon or lime would be my absolute favorite. Anytime, anywhere.
galving

Post by galving »

I used to be a Diet Coke addict.
Absolutely hated coffee and couldn't stand it...Diet Coke was my delivery system for caffeine.

My tastes have changed, and one day I cut it cold turkey.
I haven't drank any diet soda in at least 7 years.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I probably get a Diet Coke once or twice a month with a drive through burger meal. Prefer over Diet Pepsi.

I do like Fresca. Haven’t thought about for a while until reviewing this post. Do they still make Squirt?

Occasional diet Dr. Pepper.

I’m really not much of a soda / pop drinker, but when I do, it’s almost always diet.

Will drink Ski, a southern Illinois soda, for the occasional hangover.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

A *very* old favorite has just shown up:

Dr. Brown's Black Cherry, diet :happy

In addition to the taste being a real favorite for both of us, for me, it brings back really fond childhood memories of "Grandma's house" in Brooklyn.
(These would date back to the 1950's mostly, gasp!)
I'm pretty sure that back then, we didn't drink "Diet" anything, and diet Dr. Brown's may not even have existed then.
The flavor seems just about the same, a real treat.

Even though we are no longer visiting Brooklyn, there is one local restaurant that does serve a few flavors of Dr. Brown's, diet and regular. But I hadn't seen it in a grocery store in decades.

So this is a nice addition to our "standard house blend", Diet Coke.
I've also started drinking Diet Snapple Peach, but I don't think that's a soft drink, assuming bubbles are necessary.

As far as a substitute for "Diet Coke", way back in the truly frugal college days, I remember Royal Crown Cola, which was a decent substitute. I'm not sure if there was a diet version of that, back then.

And as for "original Coca Cola", I really loved those little glass bottles, too.
Every now and then, in a hotel mini-bar, I've seen little glass bottles of both regular Coke and Diet Coke... another treat... It really tastes better than in plastic (and *much* better than in cans).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
praxis

Post by praxis »

Normchad wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:28 am How did I miss this thread for so long?

Earl, I whole heartedly endorse your original list. I love all of them, including Mountain Dew and A&W Root Beer.

I also really like Fresca once in a while......

I really crave a good grape flavor though, but I’ve never found one. (I’ve found some diet grape drinks, but they’ve never tasted right to me).

I’m not sad that Tab is disappearing though.....
I like most diet sodas if they're not too sweet. For several years now I stick to Fresca.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Most diet soda contains unhealthy stuff.

We carbonate purified water and add flavor. Our favorite flavors include slices of lemon or lime, oranges, a tea we make from grated ginger, or if we are feeling extravagant, Carpano Antica Formula vermouth.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Diet Coke and diet Dr Pepper for me.

And, though it is not a soda, I usually drink diet Green Tea, Kirkland brand the most.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Van

Post by Van »

NONE. Why would you?

Water is the choice here.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:52 pm A *very* old favorite has just shown up:

Dr. Brown's Black Cherry, diet :happy

In addition to the taste being a real favorite for both of us, for me, it brings back really fond childhood memories of "Grandma's house" in Brooklyn.
(These would date back to the 1950's mostly, gasp!)
I'm pretty sure that back then, we didn't drink "Diet" anything, and diet Dr. Brown's may not even have existed then.
The flavor seems just about the same, a real treat.

Even though we are no longer visiting Brooklyn, there is one local restaurant that does serve a few flavors of Dr. Brown's, diet and regular. But I hadn't seen it in a grocery store in decades.

So this is a nice addition to our "standard house blend", Diet Coke.
I've also started drinking Diet Snapple Peach, but I don't think that's a soft drink, assuming bubbles are necessary.

As far as a substitute for "Diet Coke", way back in the truly frugal college days, I remember Royal Crown Cola, which was a decent substitute. I'm not sure if there was a diet version of that, back then.

And as for "original Coca Cola", I really loved those little glass bottles, too.
Every now and then, in a hotel mini-bar, I've seen little glass bottles of both regular Coke and Diet Coke... another treat... It really tastes better than in plastic (and *much* better than in cans).

RM
RC cola was my favorite soda when I was a lad, and needed no reason to drink diet stuff. Also Sunkist Orange soda, and NuGrape soda.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Single cans of Tab are selling for (completed auctions) over $20 each on ebay.
Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads