Which diet soda pop do you enjoy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MnD

Re: Which diet soda pop do you enjoy?

Post by MnD » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:44 pm

Fresca, dark aged rum and a big squeeze of fresh lime over ice in a highball glass!
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 pm

I don't drink diet soda.

And while I do like non-diet soda, especially Dr Pepper, I found that the caffeine in most sodas affects my sleep too much these days.

So when I drink soda, my choices have become limited. A&W Root Beer and Mug Root Beer are the sodas most readily available commercially.

(I never developed a liking for 7-Up, Sprite, and the other lemony sodas.)
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:52 pm

Surge. 🤷‍♂️

mountaingoatcos

Post by mountaingoatcos » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:56 pm

Pepsi Max. I got hooked on that stuff I'm trying to wean myself off now. But man and ice cold Pepsi Max sure hits the spot some days.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:14 am

It took a long time for me to work around to tolerating diet sodas. Diet Mt Dew was the only one that tasted reasonable for a long time (and only over ice). It's still my default. I've had to start cutting off caffeine at about 4 in the afternoon to be able to sleep well. Fresca works for me in the evenings, especially the peach-flavored version. Diet Ginger Ale and Diet A&W Root Beer are alternatives I can deal with now.

When they were available, I liked the "10 Cal" versions of diet sodas. Maybe it was placebo effect, but I felt like the bit of sugar helped them out without adding too much in calories. Haven't seen them around here in the past year or so.

Ice really helps with diet sodas for me. Without ice I'd probably stick with water or iced tea.

furikake

Post by furikake » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:21 am

Virgil's Zero Root Beer.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 am

As someone said earlier, Coke Zero no longer exists. Now it is Coke Zero Sugar, which I didn't like at first but now I think is acceptable. You can still get caffeine free Coke Zero in stores, and that is my favorite. I've had diabetes for over 39 years, so I'm kind of an expert on diet sodas.

I was in the Philippines a couple of months ago, and they had both Coke Light and Coke Zero Sugar. Some restaurants had both. Coke Light came in a tall skinny silver can, and Coke Zero was in a tall skinny red and black can. I couldn't taste much difference. They sell cans separately in stores (not attached like our six-packs). They seemed baffled about the concept of selling us more than one at a time. An employee went to the back and got us a case of each, and everyone thought that was amusing.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:59 am

Diet coke all the way... Regular coke is too viscous because of the sugar. Diet makes everything so smooth. I prefer it over the regular soda. Also, higher caffeine content in diet, I use it as energy boost in the morning, it's my coffee to go to work.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:11 am

rterickson wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:52 pm
Just heard on the news recently that Canada Dry are being sued because their ginger ale doesn't have any ginger in it.

I miss Tab.
They claim there is ginger in it, listed as a flavoring or somesuch.

gostars

Post by gostars » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:13 am

Diet Coke with Splenda
Diet Rite
Hansen's Diet Creamy Root Beer. The diet tangerine-lime is OK too. Haven't tried the others.
Cock'n Bull Diet Ginger Beer - Yes, most people just use it to make a Dark n Stormy or Moscow Mule. Still good on its own though, with a much bigger punch of ginger than some weak ginger ale. No alcohol in it, despite the name.

basspond

Post by basspond » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:20 am

Coke Zero (with Jack). Zero carbs. Lost 10 lbs in 3 months when I switched from classic coke. Second would have to be Diet Mountain Dew. Got to have my caffeine, don’t drink coffee.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:44 am

It's very hipster of me but love the LaCroix. The grapefruit, orange, and mango are great.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:22 am

Diet Pepsi flavored with a shot or two of Captain Morgan's spiced Rum.
But if I come to your house and you only have Diet Coke that's fine with my Captain Morgan's as well.
If you don't have Captain's any spiced rum will do.
If you don't have spiced rum regular rum will suffice.
If you don't have rum Jim-Beam or Jack-Daniels with my Diet Pepsi work as well.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:34 am

London wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:44 pm
dm200 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 pm
For very credible health reasons, I have stopped drinking any kind of soda/pop - whether with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

On some occasions, I do have sparking water - such as Perrier or store brands.
It's only took 7 replies for the self righteous to ignore the OP and talk about why they don't drink diet soda. I knew the internet wouldn't disappoint me. Why not just ignore this thread?
+1
I agree, there's generally a good deal of negativity and cynicism here...if people have nothing worthwhile to add to a conversation, stay out of it!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:54 am

Addicted to Diet Mountain Dew !! ... Hi my name is Soccer Rules.
I drink it morning, day and night-- then lay down and go to sleep no problemo.

Prefer fountain served vs cans/bottles

In a pinch I will accept
Diet Dr. Pepper
Diet Coke
Diet Sprite

I do enjoy a fountain Dt DP or Dt Coke with a real lime or lemon in it.

PS Never Diet Pepsi - ever
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:00 am

I grew up on Vernors Ginger Ale and at the grocery store I buy the diet version. I get diet Coke when at McDonald's; tried the diet Dr. Pepper and didn't like it.

Ah youth - non-diet Vernors and Boston Coolers.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:43 pm
I have a Diet Mt Dew every day at work.

That is my A. #1 choice in soda.
Bloom - I knew I liked you, but now we can be best friends.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 am

Haven't seen anybody mention Diet Rite which was my go to back in the day. I haven't seen it sold for years but the website sounds like it is still being made. These days it is diet Pepsi.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:42 am

Diet Mountain Dew 12oz-On my drive to work at 5:30am
Diet Mountain Dew 20oz-About 9am
Diet Pepsi 12oz-Lunch
Diet Mountain Dew 20oz-About 2pm
Diet Mountain Dew 12oz-About 5pm

Been doing something similar to this for the last 15+ years. When I'm in Europe or Mexico on vacation and DMD is hard to find, I just drink Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke.

The only bad thing about DMD is that it's so easy to drink that I can down a 12oz can in a few minutes as opposed to Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi.

I also like Diet Mr. Pibb but it's not as available.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am

This needs to be said......

Republican vs Democrat
Jacob vs Edward (Twilight Movies --more a girl thing)
Micheal Jordan vs Lebron James
Xbox vs Playstation
Celtics vs Lakers
Toilet Paper -- Pull from Top vs Pull from under
Is the Dress Blue or black -- white or gold

YOU have to pick Diet Coke ( the best of course) OR Diet Pepsi (janitor cleaning fluid)

Who are these people saying both ?? :twisted:

One of my favorite things to do at a restaurant when ordering a Diet Coke at a unknown Pepsi place.
Server: May I get you something to drink ?
Me: Diet Coke please
Server: Would Diet Pepsi be OK ?
Me: Would Monopoly Money be OK ?

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:21 am

I like diet colas in general - diet Coke, diet Pepsi, diet RC (do they still make that? It was always the cheapest). I like Fresca, Canada Dry diet ginger ale, and diet A&W.

There’s a good reason for people to enjoy colas. Regular colas have 3 things going for them: sugar, which feels good because it increases levels of dopamine https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... el-so-good; caffeine, which is a stimulant (and my stimulant of choice); and last but not least, carbonation, which stimulates nerve endings in the tongue that transmit pain signals and thus increases production of endorphins (a milder form of what happens when we eat spicy foods).

Diet colas have the above without the sugar - so, 2 out of 3 fairly benign ways to feel good. And diet soda has the effervescence going for it (along with some flavor).

However, while I like diet soda (particularly diet cola), I really don’t like lugging all those cans home from the grocery store. So I tried cutting back on soda, but then ended up buying the same amount of zero-calorie flavored seltzer water instead because while I can get my caffeine from other sources, I just can’t give up the bubbles. Until my son bought me a SodaStream. This may or may not have reduced what I pay for soda, but now I’m not lugging cans home 2 times a week, I’m just getting a new CO2 cannister 2 times a month.

I don’t care for the SodaStream flavors, though (their cola is truly awful), and the few I do like are pricy, so I’ve ended up mostly drinking plain seltzer and my own concoction of 2 oz. Bolthouse Farms Amazing Mango and 8 oz. seltzer. It’s “reduced calorie” (34 cal) rather than “diet” but I find I don’t want more than 2 servings a day and two 12-oz servings of soda = 4 oz juice = 1 fruit. Recently, one of my sisters made me a ginger selzter using a shot of Torani Ginger Lemongrass Syrup. Again, not diet but very enjoyable. Since Torani doesn’t make a sugar free version of this flavor, I’m thinking of making my own sugar free ginger syrup, which apparently isn’t hard to do https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/low-carb-ginger-syrup/.

I still have the occasional diet cola when I’m out - just not at home.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:25 am

Earl Lemongrab,

I did not read through everyone's responses, but my absolute favorite is Diet Stewart's Orange and Cream.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 am

soccerrules wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:34 am

soccerrules wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am
bloom2708 wrote:

:o :D

It is only 10:34 am here, but I am enjoying my 1 Diet. Dew right now. :happy
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:36 am

Another Diet Pepsi addict here. For 40 years. I hate to think how many thousands of cans of the stuff.
For 15 years before that it was regular Pepsi. Interesting how once I made the unpleasant switch to the diet stuff, regular Pepsi and Coke is now completely unpalatable to me.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:38 am

I'm pretty content with Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper (preferably from a soda fountain) but my absolute favorite is Diet 7Up . . . I'll happily drink it at room temperature if need be. :D

Also, when my wife and I visit a fast-casual restaurant with one of those Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, I really like Fanta Zero Peach.

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:45 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:34 am
soccerrules wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:26 am
bloom2708 wrote:

:o :D

It is only 10:34 am here, but I am enjoying my 1 Diet. Dew right now. :happy
:beer
I typically start the IV around 7:30 am on work days.
I have also been known to pack some DMD in my suitcase when I traveled internationally.
(I have a problem) :shock:

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 am

I used to drink only sugar sodas. Coke, root beer, etc. Diet anything tasted awful.

Then I switched to diet. Primarily coke zero, but I would drink any of them. Regular soda tasted awful - way too sweet.

Then I stopped drinking any soda at all. Now I just drink seltzer water. It's surprisingly good once you get used to it - refreshing bubbles with a hint of flavor. I like the vons/safeway brand Grapefruit or Lime flavors, and La Croix has some good ones as well. Now diet tastes like chemicals and regular tastes like sugar - I have no desire to drink either one.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:51 am

I drink soda water whenever available. And it’s free when I’m in a restaurant!

JT

drk

Post by drk » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:54 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm
Diet Canada Dry - This is an occasional choice. I like it with Chinese food. I haven't really tried any other ginger ales, as this is from Dr Pepper group so it's easy to throw it in with a 3 for deal with 7up and A&W.
I don't know where you're located, but you should look for Vernor's. It's also owned by Dr. Pepper now, but its distribution seems more limited to the Great Lakes region.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:57 am

My nutritionist recommended I cut down on my consumption of diet sodas, so now I only drink kale, chia and acai smoothies. Free-range kale, of course.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:07 am

munemaker wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 am
soccerrules wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:43 am

Both of these ^^ :D

LOVE the "Monopoly money" response!

We are trying to drink more sparkling water "on principle", but sometimes *only* a sip of Diet Coke will settle my stomach.

Note: In the 1950's, when I had some sort of stomach bug, our friendly family physician would stop by (anyone else remember simple "house calls"?), and he would order a *prescription" of "Coke syrup".
(I have no idea if it was "the real thing" or just "some sort of cola".)
That stuff was horrible in a syrupy concentrate, but it seemed to do the deed, and stop the stomach symptoms most of the time.
I've always wondered if there was anything "real" there, therapeutically, or if it was more of a novelty/placebo.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:37 am

Note: In the 1950's, when I had some sort of stomach bug, our friendly family physician would stop by (anyone else remember simple "house calls"?), and he would order a *prescription" of "Coke syrup".
(I have no idea if it was "the real thing" or just "some sort of cola".)
That stuff was horrible in a syrupy concentrate, but it seemed to do the deed, and stop the stomach symptoms most of the time.
I've always wondered if there was anything "real" there, therapeutically, or if it was more of a novelty/placebo.
Yes!! I was a very sickly child - vomiting, etc. many times a year. The doctor (they made housecalls back then) would come to the house - check me out - and say something like "acidosis" - and prescribe Cocoa Cola syrup. Sometimes, I was just allowed to drink Coke.

I believe the Coke syrup (not sure) was the thing used at soda fountains.

Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:43 am

They do still make Diet Rite. For a while the supermarket I frequent had several flavors, but I think they're down to just cola now. They might have diet RC still too, not sure. I'll try to look tomorrow.

There is caffeine-free Diet Dew.

Quaestner

Post by Quaestner » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:15 pm

I enjoy the Zevia brand drinks - particularly their Ginger Rootbeer. DW enjoys Dr. Zevia (a diet Dr. Pepper alternative). A bit pricey, but is frequently on sale.

theta

Post by theta » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:26 pm

Blenheim Diet Ginger Ale. It’s the real stuff with plenty of ginger. If you really love ginger ale, they also have a Hot variety, that is non-diet. When they say hot, they mean it!!

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:27 pm

I seldom drink any type soda, but when I do it is diet. Most liked is Diet Cherry Vanilla Doctor Pepper. I sometimes use Diet Coke for a mixer. I occasionally drink a flavored sparkling water, great way to settle a queasy stomach. Grandkids like the flavored sparkling waters, much better for them than the sugar/corn syrup-laden regular sodas.

When I tag along to Publix, I might grab some Publix store brand diet drinks, like grape, orange, sometimes ginger ale.

As a kid my favorites were RC Cola (adding a Moon Pie was just perfect :thumbsup ), NuGrape, and Sunkist Orange Soda. No diet soda then. At 18 I was whippet lean, now, not so much. :(

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:37 pm

djpeteski wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:44 am
It's very hipster of me but love the LaCroix. The grapefruit, orange, and mango are great.
I mentioned it before but - Spindrift's Blackberry-Lime.

Soda water (unflavored) is not free in restaurants in my area.

I know which fast food places have a soda tab on their machine - and dilute my real Coke about 50/50 with it. I've done it with the Diet Coke from the machine at work, too (no Coke available).

brennok

Post by brennok » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Soda wise I really only drink Coke. Cream Soda is a distant second. I have never found a diet soda I enjoyed.

Now on the other hand I always preferred sugar free Kool-Aid but maybe that is because this is what we grew up with in the house.

tinscale

Post by tinscale » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Coke Zero (now Coke Zero Sugar). It's the only diet soda that to me does not taste oversweetened.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:09 pm

CppCoder wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 pm
Coke Zero Sugar (and its variants). How can people claim Coke Zero to be their favorite without knowing that Coke changed the name a few months ago? :happy I also like Diet Mountain Dew. I believe this to be a requirement of anyone who writes software. :beer <- coke zero sugar, not a beer.

Since we're on this subject,does anyone else love those machines they have in some fast casual restaurants where you select the soda from a menu instead of having a few predetermined slots? They have several interesting varieties just of coke zero sugar. That said, the best variant I ever created was what I called a blueberry zero. There was a grocery store I used to frequent that had Coke Zero (before the name change) and Maine Root Blueberry on tap. I used to mix the two at about 1:10 or 1:20 blueberry to coke zero. That blueberry soda is incredibly strong (and not diet) by itself, but it made an awesome flavoring for coke zero. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as blueberry coke zero sugar. If there is anyone from Coca-Cola reading this thread, please investigate creating a blueberry flavored coke zero sugar. It's amazing...
No. Can't stand them. In one restaurant we frequent there are two of them and there is always a line where people have to figure out how to work it and what they want. I just want my #### diet coke (or maybe occasionally coke zero. Kids are the worst as the contemplate all of the flavors they can add. Getting a fountain drink can be a 5 minute event.

Diet coke is my main poison but I'm trying to cut down because it isn't clear how unhealthy it may be. I've actually started drinking coffee for the first time. Also more unsweetened tea but that is not very satisfying

Diet coke is my go to, occasionally coke zero. Diet mountain dew is good too, but I rarely drink it for whatever reason.

tinscale

Post by tinscale » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 pm

tinscale wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:06 pm
Coke Zero (now Coke Zero Sugar), caffeine-free. It's the only diet soda that to me does not taste oversweetened.
Edited to add "caffeine-free"

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:19 pm

I lost 20 pounds switching to diet soda!

Favorites:
Diet Dr. Pepper. All time favorite. Just wish they had a caffeine free version.

Caffeine free Diet Coke. Any caffeine after 3:00 PM, and I can't sleep.

Sprite Zero

Caffeine free diet Cheerwine

Local store brand of diet dark cherry. Can mix with diet coke to mimic diet Cheerwine.

Local store brand of "grapefruit". Tastes like Fresca.

Local store brand of Birch Beer. Just plain good!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:25 pm

Coke Zero.

And although not "sodas," as such, Minute Maid Light Lemonade and Diet Snapple Peach.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:17 pm

On weekdays I don't drink caffeine other than my morning tea, but in the evenings I like a fizzy drink so I will have Canada Dry Ginger Ale or Diet Sprite/7-Up.

On the weekends we tend to stay up a bit later so I have some Vanilla, Cherry, or Regular Coke Zero or Diet A&W. We used to love the Kroger brand Cola-Oh but they discontinued it for a reason I don't understand since it sold so well.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:36 pm

kelway wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:19 pm
Speaking of wish, they were very wrong to get rid of Dr. Pepper Ten, because that was a significant beverage.
Still available here in Texas. 88 cents for 2 liter bottle this week at Kroger.

Or make your own using @Pajamas's trick of a squirt of non-diet into diet.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

kelway

Post by kelway » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:08 pm

finite_difference wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 pm
Are there any sodas that use Stevia as the sweetener? Apparently that is the only natural, healthy sweetener. It’s maybe a little bit bitter in aftertaste but I like it. I was happy to see it’s used in the zero calorie Vitamin Waters.
I'll tell you what's really good and stevia-based: put these true lemon-brand packets (my favorite is wildberry lemonade) into a sparking water with 2oz orange juice or so, and it's bloody amazing: https://www.truelemonstore.com/category-s/1853.htm

My son convinced me to buy him some of those little wooden drink umbrellas for $5 for 10. I don't recommend that.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Rarely drink diet sodas but Diet Coke is the preferred choice. I would rather become dehydrated than drink Diet Pepsi!

I drink a lot of plain seltzer. Sometimes I add either lemonade or cranberry juice, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of a glass. Sorta the moral equivalent of a diet soda.
Friar1610

gostars

Post by gostars » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:53 pm

kelway wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:08 pm
I'll tell you what's really good and stevia-based: put these true lemon-brand packets (my favorite is wildberry lemonade) into a sparking water with 2oz orange juice or so, and it's bloody amazing: https://www.truelemonstore.com/category-s/1853.htm

My son convinced me to buy him some of those little wooden drink umbrellas for $5 for 10. I don't recommend that.
2 packets of the True Lemon (unsweetened) in a normal Sodastream bottle makes a good alternative to canned lemon seltzer, or 1 lemon+1 lime for lemon-lime. The extra citric acid gives it a nice sour taste that commercials seltzers lack. Just remember to carbonate before adding the packets or you'll end up having to clean the counters and change clothes. :oops:

five2one

Post by five2one » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Protein shake twice a day, serious. Prevents afternoon jitters but I'm a snob and only like speific types.
Saves money too as I eat a lot less and basically cut all carbs.

After dinner perhaps a nice local brew of ale or coffee.
Coke, ginger ale, etc. in afternoon

Occasionally wine in evening.

Juice in AM, milk every meal, and water all day.

Yup, I'm hydrated.
:mrgreen: