Which diet soda pop do you enjoy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Which diet soda pop do you enjoy?

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Before we get started, there have been many posts on coffee, wine, whiskey, etc. These are things that many of you like, but I don't. However, I respected others and didn't barged into the discussion to tell you how much I disliked the product.

I realize that many of you hate diet soda. Those of us who do like it know that. I would appreciate the same respect and have you just ignore the topic.

I also know that some of you think that diet soda is unhealthy. Again, we've heard it before. I also think that it's against forum rules to discuss that.

That being said, I drink several cans through the day. Here are some that I enjoy.

Diet Mountain Dew - Probably my favorite. Great first thing in the morning, cuts through that dry feeling and serves as a nice pick-me-up.

Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi - The other caffeine soda I drink. I find it the tastiest of the colas. Cherry Coke Zero is good too. I have never liked any Diet Coke variant.

Diet A&W - It isn't the great root beer we got in frosted glasses at the drive-in when I was a kid, but captures some of the flavor. I have it with my allowed "chocolate snack" of two fun-sized bars. I get Barq's on occasion, but it tastes very different, hardly like a root beer to me.

Diet Orange Crush - There aren't a lot of orange soda options, and to me it's the best of the bunch. Sweet and pronounced flavor. I like it with my fruit snack.

Diet 7up - Sometimes the clean taste of a lemon-lime hits the spot. I like this a bit better than Diet Sprite, but they're close.

Diet Canada Dry - This is an occasional choice. I like it with Chinese food. I haven't really tried any other ginger ales, as this is from Dr Pepper group so it's easy to throw it in with a 3 for deal with 7up and A&W.

So what do you like?
mcraepat9

Re: Which diet soda pop do you enjoy?

Post by mcraepat9 »

Diet Sunkist obviously
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

My three favorites are Diet Mountain Dew, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Coke Zero.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Diet Pepsi. I think Diet Coke tastes awful.
rantk81

Post by rantk81 »

My drink of choice at home:
Cherry Coke Zero with whiskey (Evan Williams).
Economical and tasty.
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

Just heard on the news recently that Canada Dry are being sued because their ginger ale doesn't have any ginger in it.

I miss Tab.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

Diet Coke and Diet Sunkist -- delish!
dm200

Post by dm200 »

For very credible health reasons, I have stopped drinking any kind of soda/pop - whether with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

On some occasions, I do have sparking water - such as Perrier or store brands.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm
<snip>

That being said, I drink several cans through the day. Here are some that I enjoy.

Diet Mountain Dew - Probably my favorite. Great first thing in the morning, cuts through that dry feeling and serves as a nice pick-me-up.

Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi - The other caffeine soda I drink. I find it the tastiest of the colas. Cherry Coke Zero is good too. I have never liked any Diet Coke variant.

Diet A&W - It isn't the great root beer we got in frosted glasses at the drive-in when I was a kid, but captures some of the flavor. I have it with my allowed "chocolate snack" of two fun-sized bars. I get Barq's on occasion, but it tastes very different, hardly like a root beer to me.

Diet Orange Crush - There aren't a lot of orange soda options, and to me it's the best of the bunch. Sweet and pronounced flavor. I like it with my fruit snack.

Diet 7up - Sometimes the clean taste of a lemon-lime hits the spot. I like this a bit better than Diet Sprite, but they're close.

Diet Canada Dry - This is an occasional choice. I like it with Chinese food. I haven't really tried any other ginger ales, as this is from Dr Pepper group so it's easy to throw it in with a 3 for deal with 7up and A&W.

So what do you like?
How is this actionable?

Are you planning to surprise some of us with home visits, and we should be prepared? :twisted:

As an aside, we are both Diet Coke aficionados... "accept no substitutes" (and especially NOT Diet Pepsi - ugh!)

We try to limit that by keeping sparkling water on hand, San Pellegrino when available.
(I have actual trouble drinking any quantity of still water. I invariably become nauseated, though I have no idea why. So kindly keep that in mind when we stop by...)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

rterickson wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:52 pm Just heard on the news recently that Canada Dry are being sued because their ginger ale doesn't have any ginger in it.

I miss Tab.
Tab is still available, at least here.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:04 pm How is this actionable?
I'm open to new ideas.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Coke Zero
Sprite Zero

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Diet Seagrams ginger ale is what I like.
About the Canada Dry ginger ale. Wow, I did notice on the label some time ago that ginger was missing. It did taste funny to me; too sweet. And now a lawsuit? OMG.

(Schweppes also seems to have no ginger and I'm not a fan of the taste.)
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm Before we get started, there have been many posts on coffee, wine, whiskey, etc. These are things that many of you like, but I don't. However, I respected others and didn't barged into the discussion to tell you how much I disliked the product.

I realize that many of you hate diet soda. Those of us who do like it know that. I would appreciate the same respect and have you just ignore the topic.

I also know that some of you think that diet soda is unhealthy. Again, we've heard it before. I also think that it's against forum rules to discuss that.

So what do you like?
Diet Sunkist Orange
Diet 7-up( over orange sherbet for a tasty float).
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Odd preface to the thread, but...

I do love Diet Coke. I actually prefer it over normal Coke. My wife made me switch from regular soda and now I love it.

Like Diet Dr. Pepper. I hate Diet Pepsi.

So guess I have a love/ hate relationship with the the diet soda world. It is EASILY by biggest vice. My wife and I drink so much that I have seriously considered putting in a fountain dispenser in the house.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
agilesheltz

Post by agilesheltz »

Diet Coke - I know it probably isn't the best thing, so I don't drink as much as I once did and I look for substitutes.

Topo Chico is one of my favorites substitutes. Good on its own and fun to experiment mixing with other things :D .
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Vanilla Coke Zero, Diet Dr. Pepper

All Pepsi products taste flat/flavorless to me.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm I also know that some of you think that diet soda is unhealthy. Again, we've heard it before. I also think that it's against forum rules to discuss that.
What kinda gun should I hold to my head? It's against forum rules to talk me down -- I just want something light and reliable. :D

There are like ten kinds of diet soda. Maybe invest the $5 and pick a favorite...? It's really not like whiskey. Or even coffee.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Dr Pepper 10. Better than Diet Dr Pepper.

But I believe that the increase of consumption of soda pop has led to the increase of kidney stones at younger and younger ages. The pH of and the oxalate in these beverages are probably the cause.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

All diet here. Any Coca Cola Zero product. Also Sunkist, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up, Ginger Ale, & A&W Root Beer. Keep all on hand for mixing with bourbon or vodka.
But for just regular non alcoholic drinking, I buy Publix 2L of Caffeine Free Diet Cola & Diet Club Soda. I am addicted to the fizz. And caffeine makes my ticker flutter.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I have a Diet Mt Dew every day at work.

That is my A. #1 choice in soda.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

Coke Zero Sugar (and its variants). How can people claim Coke Zero to be their favorite without knowing that Coke changed the name a few months ago? :happy I also like Diet Mountain Dew. I believe this to be a requirement of anyone who writes software. :beer <- coke zero sugar, not a beer.

Since we're on this subject, does anyone else love those machines they have in some fast casual restaurants where you select the soda from a menu instead of having a few predetermined slots? They have several interesting varieties just of coke zero sugar. That said, the best variant I ever created was what I called a blueberry zero. There was a grocery store I used to frequent that had Coke Zero (before the name change) and Maine Root Blueberry on tap. I used to mix the two at about 1:10 or 1:20 blueberry to coke zero. That blueberry soda is incredibly strong (and not diet) by itself, but it made an awesome flavoring for coke zero. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as blueberry coke zero sugar. If there is anyone from Coca-Cola reading this thread, please investigate creating a blueberry flavored coke zero sugar. It's amazing...
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

Diet Pepsi
Diet Coke
Coke Zero

I switch periodically and find you that after drinking it for a bit, you get accustomed to it. Currently I am drinking Diet Pepsi so not up to date on the Coke product reshuffle.

Downside is I drink very little water and that is not good for health reasons.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

rterickson wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:52 pm I miss Tab.
Why don't you drink it any more? Years ago I drink a lot of it, too, but don't drink soda often these days, and almost never at home. I still find the idea of "Diet Coke" somewhat preposterous because Tab was the diet version of Coke, at least to me.
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm
Have you tried Diet Dr Pepper Cherry? I had some earlier this year for the first time and was really impressed with it. I think it is much better than the cherry versions of either Diet Pepsi or Coke Zero.

I have found that when getting a diet cola from a fountain, one quick squirt of regular soda of the same type greatly improves the taste. Try it sometime.
sport

Post by sport »

Canada Dry Cranberry diet ginger ale
Diet Pepsi
kelway

Post by kelway »

I highly recommend this: https://www.kroger.com/p/fizz-co-cola-f ... 1111002778

The Dr. Pepper flavored version is just about the same flavor as diet minus the chemicals... guilt-free soda. Speaking of wish, they were very wrong to get rid of Dr. Pepper Ten, because that was a significant beverage.
arrieros81

Post by arrieros81 »

Nobody else likes Fresca?

More for me :sharebeer
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Diet Coke, Diet Sprite, Diet Dr Brown Cream, Diet Mug Cream
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
catdude

Post by catdude »

Diet Pepsi, usually straight up but sometimes with a shot of whiskey (Jack Daniels or Evan Williams)...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

Even though I know I shouldn't be consuming artificial sweeteners (and can't have sugar), I absolutely LOVE Bedford's Diet Ginger Beer, brewed in Port Angeles, Washington. My first really gingery-bitey ginger beer was Maine Root, but this is just as good and comes in a sugar-free version. I like the intensity of it's ginger "bite". Being frugal, I buy it whenever I can find it at HomeGoods at a wonderful discount from regular retail prices.
:sharebeer (ginger beer toast)
Last edited by Gnirk on Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi, depending on what's on sale.
Polar Seltzer Black Cherry
Diet Dr. Pepper.
Waist Watcher Diet Chocolate Soda.

Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper sounds to me like Diet Cherry Cherry Cola because....well, isn't Dr. Pepper just Cherry Cola?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Diet Rite peach. Goes surprisingly well with food. Walmart came out with some generic peach pop but it's terrible.

Also Diet 7.

Lately I've been buying Clear American flavored sparking water, which is just diet pop, at Albertsons. Esp like cherry.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

tennisplyr wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:25 pm Diet Coke, Diet Sprite, Diet Dr Brown Cream, Diet Mug Cream
OH How Could I Have Forgotten?
Dr. Brown's Diet Black Cherry!

:happy

RM
London

Post by London »

dm200 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 pm For very credible health reasons, I have stopped drinking any kind of soda/pop - whether with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

It's only took 7 replies for the self righteous to ignore the OP and talk about why they don't drink diet soda. I knew the internet wouldn't disappoint me. Why not just ignore this thread?
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

CppCoder wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:46 pm Coke Zero Sugar (and its variants). How can people claim Coke Zero to be their favorite without knowing that Coke changed the name a few months ago?
I'm guessing that it's because some people thought that the "Zero" meant no caffeine either, which was not the case. I had to tell some people at work that.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Pajamas wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:49 pm Have you tried Diet Dr Pepper Cherry?
I'm not sure. I've had regular DDP, but not for a while.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Diet coke with root beer added to it or vanilla flavoring.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

Any coke zero product, diet pepsi, diet 7 up.
“The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it in your back pocket.” —Will Rogers
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

Diet Pepsi first, then Coke Zero and Diet Dr. Pepper. I grew up on Tab, but I have trouble finding it here.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Homemade concoction called "Blueberry Mint Fizz." Recipe here. Delightful made with fresh mint picked from the garden and blueberries from nearby farm. Calories per serving: 12. No artificial anything.

I am also inordinately fond of Pellegrino Water, either straight, with a wedge of lime, or as an input into the aforementioned Blueberry Mint Fizz.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Coke Zero
Diet Mug Cream Soda
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

London wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:44 pm
dm200 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:54 pm For very credible health reasons, I have stopped drinking any kind of soda/pop - whether with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

It's only took 7 replies for the self righteous to ignore the OP and talk about why they don't drink diet soda. I knew the internet wouldn't disappoint me. Why not just ignore this thread?
I think Perrier and sparkling water are good substitutes sometimes.

On that note, the Kroger Fizz Co suggestion looks great, I’ll have to try that!

Are there any sodas that use Stevia as the sweetener? Apparently that is the only natural, healthy sweetener. It’s maybe a little bit bitter in aftertaste but I like it. I was happy to see it’s used in the zero calorie Vitamin Waters.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Loon11

Post by Loon11 »

gotten so I really like the sparkling soda Costco brand - they are different flavors - orange mango, rasberry, etc. don't know if its any healthier but I never could drink a whole can and this has a 17 oz bottle I can recap and its good!
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Drank Diet Coke for years but now prefer Diet Pepsi.
Orange Crush
Fresca
A&W Root Beer
Dr Pepper
Used to drink Diet Rite Raspberry but can't seem to find it anymore.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Diet Coke Caffeine Free only. We have been trying to drink less, so we are occasionally getting sparkling water, mostly Poland Spring. Perrier and San Pellegrino are good, but much costlier.

By the way, in the European countries that we have visited, they only have Coke Light. It doesn’t taste like Diet Coke or Tab. We don’t like it much.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Diet Dr Pepper, Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Diet A&W, Diet Tonic water.

I'll drink other diet sodas, but these are my go to sodas.

Diet Pepsi does something weird to my kidneys so I avoid it.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Sparkling ICE - I like the flavor that everyone else must like, because it's the first on the shelf to run out: Pink Grapefruit. Citric acid (not phosphoric) and sucralose to sweeten.

Diet Coke in mini cans - just the right size.

Not truly a diet soda, but Spindrift's Black Raspberry/Lime is 15 cal - tart and delicious.

You diet ginger ale peeps - whadda about Vernor's?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm Diet Coke Caffeine Free only. We have been trying to drink less, so we are occasionally getting sparkling water, mostly Poland Spring. Perrier and San Pellegrino are good, but much costlier.

By the way, in the European countries that we have visited, they only have Coke Light. It doesn’t taste like Diet Coke or Tab. We don’t like it much.
Yup, we don't care for that either.
So the good news is that when overseas, we tend to drink a lot more San Pellegrino (or reasonable facsimile if necessary).
We always decide we'll keep it that way when we return home, but the siren song of the "real thing", that USA-based Diet Coke... is hard to ignore for long.... :(

RM
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

After I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes 3 years ago, I had to switch to diet sodas. For home use, I buy Dr. Brown's Diet Cream Soda. If the store doesn't sell it, I will buy Mug DCS. When I go out to eat, most restaurants don't sell DCS (except for Ben's Deli). In those instances, I will buy Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

InMyDreams wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:57 pm Sparkling ICE - I like the flavor that everyone else must like, because it's the first on the shelf to run out: Pink Grapefruit. Citric acid (not phosphoric) and sucralose to sweeten.

Diet Coke in mini cans - just the right size.

Not truly a diet soda, but Spindrift's Black Raspberry/Lime is 15 cal - tart and delicious.

You diet ginger ale peeps - whadda about Vernor's?
Vernor’s doesn’t have a strong enough ginger bite for me.