What’s your Value Colombian coffee?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
turkman

What’s your Value Colombian coffee?

Post by turkman »

I love coffee. Specifically Colombian coffee.

Recently I read an article that one should not buy bulk coffee at Costco as beans tend to lose flavor after 2 weeks.

Does anyone have a recommendation on some good value Colombian coffees that tend to turn on the shelf quickly?

Preferably whole bean?
Last edited by turkman on Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inverter

Re: What’s your Value Columbian coffee?

Post by inverter »

I'm not a fan of "single origin" coffees. Much like wine, I think that blends give the roasters the ability to make something special from mixes. I'm a big fan of Counter Culture Coffee which is from Durham, NC and is available at my local Whole Foods. I buy them in packs for $12 that make 10-14 days of coffee in a French press.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

inverter wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:36 pm I'm not a fan of "single origin" coffees. Much like wine, I think that blends give the roasters the ability to make something special from mixes. I'm a big fan of Counter Culture Coffee which is from Durham, NC and is available at my local Whole Foods. I buy them in packs for $12 that make 10-14 days of coffee in a French press.
+1 for Counter Culture. I typically prefer lighter roasts, especially for cold brew so I much prefer their coffee over something from Charbucks.
Nicolas

Re: What’s your Value Colombian coffee?

Post by Nicolas »

My value Colombian is the Colombian that I roast in my own home and pay $4 to $5 a pound for. I haven’t bought roasted coffee since early 2003, only green.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

turkman wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:25 pm I love coffee. Specifically Colombian coffee.

Recently I read an article that one should not buy bulk coffee at Costco as beans tend to lose flavor after 2 weeks.

Does anyone have a recommendation on some good value Colombian coffees that tend to turn on the shelf quickly?

Preferably whole bean?
depends on where you live. You'll need to seek out roasters who'll let you purchase by the quarter pound.

Back when I lived in NYC, Fairway Supermarket (actually you can get 1 oz). They roast some quality coffee, and the price is reasonable as well. They are now in northern NJ and CT.

In the part of NJ where I currently live, Whole Foods. Their organic Colombian is $9.99/lb, and usually roasted in the previous few days.

You can also extend shelf life by storing your whole beans in a vacuum jar.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

hdas wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:33 pm It's not Columbia................It's Colombia the south american country.
?
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zott

Post by Zott »

If you're in a Walmart, pick up a package of their Colombian coffee just for fun. It's inexpensive and I remember enjoying it when I purchased some about a year ago. I believe it only comes ground.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

turkman wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:25 pm I love coffee. Specifically Colombian coffee.

Preferably whole bean?
turkman,

5 pounds for $40. Freshly roasted coffee from coffeeam

https://www.coffeeam.com/colombia-supre ... offee.html

KlangFool
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 pm I buy green coffee beans and roast them myself. It's always fresh, and the cost is cheaper. It's not difficult to do.
This. I probably average $5-6/lb (pre-roast weight, it does lose about 18% during the roast, so it's a little more expensive than that) for super-fresh coffee that is roasted exactly how I like it.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Give Seattles Best a try....very reasonable...I love it!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Thanks for the link. Turns out I already had this site bookmarked but forgot all about it. This was a good reminder. A review of the site was encouraging and my supply has dwindled so I ordered a few 1-lb bags!

I opted for the free FedEx shipping. I forget what they call it but I took it as the opposite of "express." I wonder how long it takes.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

bertilak wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 am
Thanks for the link. Turns out I already had this site bookmarked but forgot all about it. This was a good reminder. A review of the site was encouraging and my supply has dwindled so I ordered a few 1-lb bags!

I opted for the free FedEx shipping. I forget what they call it but I took it as the opposite of "express." I wonder how long it takes.
bertilak,

In general, 3 to 4 days to DC Metro area from Atlanta. I believe they roasted coffee daily. So, it is perfect when it reaches you.

KlangFool
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

I doubt any coffee sits on the shelf for two weeks at Costco. At least it is in a sealed bag. At your local shop you may find coffee in bins exposed to light and air. Any place you go you would be hard pressed to find coffee less than two weeks. There is shipment from origin, processing, etcetera time frames that preclude such a short overall age of the coffee.
We go through about 1# week for two people. So our last brew is already minimum a week old from a pound, but we buy it in Costco or World Market and in more than a 1# quantity. I guess we are drinking old coffee.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Spread your wings. Try some coffee from Guatemala.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Shallowpockets wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 am I doubt any coffee sits on the shelf for two weeks at Costco. At least it is in a sealed bag. At your local shop you may find coffee in bins exposed to light and air. Any place you go you would be hard pressed to find coffee less than two weeks. There is shipment from origin, processing, etcetera time frames that preclude such a short overall age of the coffee.
We go through about 1# week for two people. So our last brew is already minimum a week old from a pound, but we buy it in Costco or World Market and in more than a 1# quantity. I guess we are drinking old coffee.
I order coffee from a local roaster who roasts upon order, or at least daily. Roasting date is on each bag and is always the day of order. Ships same day USPS which, believe it or not, gets to me next day!

But, last bag can be 4 weeks old by the time I'm done with it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

bertilak wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:19 am
Shallowpockets wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:12 am I doubt any coffee sits on the shelf for two weeks at Costco. At least it is in a sealed bag. At your local shop you may find coffee in bins exposed to light and air. Any place you go you would be hard pressed to find coffee less than two weeks. There is shipment from origin, processing, etcetera time frames that preclude such a short overall age of the coffee.
I order coffee from a local roaster who roasts upon order, or at least daily. Roasting date is on each bag and is always the day of order. Ships same day USPS which, believe it or not, gets to me next day!

But, last bag can be 4 weeks old by the time I'm done with it.
bertilak,

Coffee needs a resting period after roasting. The best time to enjoy the coffee is 3 to 4 days after roasting.

https://counterculturecoffee.com/blog/o ... -freshness

<<So, how long should coffee rest before grinding and brewing?
One of the hallmarks of specialty coffee at its inception was the idea that coffee should be used as soon after roasting as possible. The general convention has been that you should start using a coffee 3–5 days off roast for brewed coffee and 5–7 days for espresso. While these are still good guidelines, as the specialty coffee industry has shifted toward purchasing more-dense green coffee grown at higher-elevations and lighter roast profiles, the optimal window to start using roasted coffee is wider than before.

Why do you need to let coffee rest?
The purpose of letting coffee rest is to allow carbon dioxide gas to escape. This enables more-efficient, even brewing, resulting in more-balanced and sweet coffee. With more-dense, lightly-roasted coffees, the best flavors can appear in the range of 10–14 days after roasting. A prime example of this from our coffees would be Idido or other East African offerings. These coffees really start to open up in that range of 10–14 days off roast with an amazing balance of floral aroma and sweetness. Consider this longer ideal roast window when you purchase coffee at your favorite coffee shop. That bag roasted a week ago may actually just be coming into its literal and metaphorical sweet spot. Be sure to look for a “Roasted On” date rather than a “Best By” date. In short, our coffees are tasting great throughout a wider window of time than ever before.>>

KlangFool
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am Spread your wings. Try some coffee from Guatemala.
I agree that if you are going to spend the extra time and trouble to buy and enjoy freshly-roasted beans that you should try something besides your usual on occasion since there are so many variables. Most places that sell freshly-roasted beans will have a decent selection, especially over time. Since you usually drink Colombian, you might want to try something very different rather than very similar. For example, Colombian is my standard, too, but I also enjoy the unique flavors of Ethiopian coffee.
daheld

Post by daheld »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:05 am
Nicolas wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 pm I buy green coffee beans and roast them myself. It's always fresh, and the cost is cheaper. It's not difficult to do.
This. I probably average $5-6/lb (pre-roast weight, it does lose about 18% during the roast, so it's a little more expensive than that) for super-fresh coffee that is roasted exactly how I like it.
Do you have a roaster? I was using a Whirley-Pop for a couple years but I have burned out on it. It just kind of became a pain to drag the equipment out and stand in front of my grill for an hour each week. My mother uses a Behmor roaster and though it doesn't do a large quantity at a time, it requires zero work. Set it and forget it.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

There are so many delicious coffees. I would not limit to just Colombian coffee.

Roast preference and methods are all over the place. I do love coffee and trying different blends from different countries.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Topic Author
turkman

Post by turkman »

Just made a new purchase on some of the recommendations! Thanks to all! Ill let you know what I think!
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

I enjoy coffee, but it hasn't become a hobby or obsession with me. I buy 8 O'Clock 100% Columbian coffee as my regular, go-to. It's the best mass-produced coffee I've found, and is an excellent value.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

daheld wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:19 am Do you have a roaster? I was using a Whirley-Pop for a couple years but I have burned out on it. It just kind of became a pain to drag the equipment out and stand in front of my grill for an hour each week. My mother uses a Behmor roaster and though it doesn't do a large quantity at a time, it requires zero work. Set it and forget it.
I do, I use a Gene Cafe, have put probably 250+ lbs through it at this point. I do have to do some experimentation when I start a new 20lb sack of beans to see where that particular bean "wants" to be roasted, but beyond that it's set and forget. I have to mind the machine every 30 minutes to dump and reload, but otherwise it runs itself and I can do 8 lbs in a weekend easy.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I built my own home coffee roaster using plans found on the internet and parts I bought at my local home improvement store and Goodwill. Here are the plans. My cost was about $70.

After a few years the convection oven failed which required a $45 replacement.
http://turbocrazy.atspace.com/index.htm
http://turbocrazy.atspace.com/index_files/project.htm
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daheld

Post by daheld »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:35 pm
daheld wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:19 am Do you have a roaster? I was using a Whirley-Pop for a couple years but I have burned out on it. It just kind of became a pain to drag the equipment out and stand in front of my grill for an hour each week. My mother uses a Behmor roaster and though it doesn't do a large quantity at a time, it requires zero work. Set it and forget it.
I do, I use a Gene Cafe, have put probably 250+ lbs through it at this point. I do have to do some experimentation when I start a new 20lb sack of beans to see where that particular bean "wants" to be roasted, but beyond that it's set and forget. I have to mind the machine every 30 minutes to dump and reload, but otherwise it runs itself and I can do 8 lbs in a weekend easy.
Nice. We buy all our beans through Sweet Maria's. It is a very fun hobby that can be done really cheaply, especially using the Whirley Pop. A roaster is a bit of an investment, but if you drink a lot of coffee and enjoy good coffee it's the way to go. I also figured roughly $7/lb when I was doing it, which is cheaper than you can buy good coffee in the grocery store, and you get the benefit of roasting exactly to the level you like. It's a lot of fun to buy a few different varieties and roast to different levels to taste the difference. My time drinking actual good coffee has taught me most coffee is trash and most people enjoy coffee that is what I consider FAR too dark.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

I'm always impressed by other peoples' ambition. I don't even like to buy whole beans because grinding it myself seems like a huge waste of my time.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

mak1277 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:24 pm I'm always impressed by other peoples' ambition. I don't even like to buy whole beans because grinding it myself seems like a huge waste of my time.
And if you don't appreciate fresh coffee, that's fine--pre-ground coffee is stale by definition. I press one button on my grinder and 7 seconds later transfer my filled basket from my grinder to my coffee maker and start brewing. 3.5 minutes later I have a half-gallon of fresh coffee. My entire process from walking into the kitchen to sipping my first cup is under four minutes. That's not entirely true, as the first two pots go in thermoses and cups that my wife and I take to work. But I do grind and brew a gallon and a half in less time than most people can get a quart out of pre-ground beans and a typical brewer.

Before I go to bed, I do have to pop a new filter in the basket and slide it into the grinder so it's ready for the next morning. That does take at least another four seconds.
Last edited by lazydavid on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:39 pm
mak1277 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:24 pm I'm always impressed by other peoples' ambition. I don't even like to buy whole beans because grinding it myself seems like a huge waste of my time.
And if you don't appreciate fresh coffee, that's fine--pre-ground coffee is stale by definition. I press one button on my grinder and 7 seconds later transfer my filled basket from my grinder to my coffee maker and start brewing. 3.5 minutes later I have a half-gallon of fresh coffee. My entire process from walking into the kitchen to sipping my first cup is under four minutes.

Before I go to bed, I do have to pop a new filter in the basket and slide it into the grinder so it's ready for the next morning. That does take at least another four seconds.
I also use a 12 year old drip coffee pot...clearly I'm not operating at the top end of the spectrum.

But you're forgetting whatever time it takes to clean the tiny little grinder mechanism which I could never ever get completely free of coffee.
Last edited by mak1277 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
praxis

Post by praxis »

I think fresh Colombian is my standard by which I judge flavor. There's a blend of buttery, smooth body with cocoa top notes that I love. But so much stale Colombian being sold has turned me away. I used to travel to Colombia four or five times a year and always brought back coffee.

My other favorite is Guatemalan. And yes, when I buy it fresh at Starbucks as whole bean it makes a great cup.

But after roasting our own beans, and searching for deals, we have found a fantastic coffee.

Grown by farmer coops in Chiapas, Mexico, in the mountains on the Guatemalan border, this coffee is roasted fresh in Austin and sold mostly through mail order or at Costco. But it is not consistent from Costco. So I order it direct. And I don't buy it in bags larger than 1 kilo (2.2 lbs.) because we don't drink it fast enough to assure it's fresh. I order two 1 kilo vacuum sealed bags of dark roast whole bean coffee and grind it coarse and brew in a French press. (shipping charges are the same for 1 or 2 bags).

The company is Ruta Maya. I recommend trying it. http://rutamaya.net
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

praxis wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:49 pm I order two 1 kilo vacuum sealed bags of dark roast whole bean coffee and grind it coarse and brew in a French press.
Doesn't a dark roast ruin high quality coffee beans by destroying any subtle flavors and making the coffee taste bitter and burnt? Seems like a waste of money and good coffee beans.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Pajamas wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:17 am Doesn't a dark roast ruin high quality coffee beans by destroying any subtle flavors and making the coffee taste bitter and burnt? Seems like a waste of money and good coffee beans.
BItterness and acidity are actually enhanced by a lighter roast, as they are the flavors particular to the bean. Generally speaking, a lighter roast accentuates the flavors of the bean/region (terroir in wine terms), while darker roasts all the flavors are from the roast not the bean, and done too dark you definitely get those burned flavors. That said, the absolute worst thing you can do is buy expensive, delicate beans and roast them dark. You spend all that extra money and don't get any flavor from the beans. If you like dark roast, you want something like a Guat, which is cheap and can handle heat well.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:40 pm If you like dark roast, you want something like a Guat, which is cheap and can handle heat well.
Okay, then that's probably why praxis likes the Guatemalan beans.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:39 pm
And if you don't appreciate fresh coffee, that's fine--pre-ground coffee is stale by definition. I press one button on my grinder and 7 seconds later transfer my filled basket from my grinder to my coffee maker and start brewing. 3.5 minutes later I have a half-gallon of fresh coffee. My entire process from walking into the kitchen to sipping my first cup is under four minutes. That's not entirely true, as the first two pots go in thermoses and cups that my wife and I take to work. But I do grind and brew a gallon and a half in less time than most people can get a quart out of pre-ground beans and a typical brewer.

What do you use for a grinder? I too have been put off by the extra work, but if it’s as easy as you say, I might change to beans from ground coffee.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

eddot98 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:02 pm What do you use for a grinder? I too have been put off by the extra work, but if it’s as easy as you say, I might change to beans from ground coffee.
I use a Bunn LPG-1:

It holds 6lbs of beans (but is rarely that full for freshness reasons) and grinds a measured dose directly into the basket used by my Bunn CW15-TC brewer:

Push button on grinder, wait 7 seconds, transfer basket to brewer, pour water in top (mine is not directly plumbed, though those models are available), et voila!

It cost a pretty penny, but less than the combined costs of the KitchenAid and other brands we used prior. And it's rated for 40,000 lbs of beans before the burrset has to be replaced, so I'm positive it's the last drip grinder I will ever buy--we go through about 4lbs/week. Same for the brewer, which is a touch more expensive than the dead Technivorm it replaced, but is designed to brew 8 pots/hour, 14 hours/day, 7 days/week for 2 decades or so. We brew 3 pots/day, so it should last forever.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

lazydavid wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:14 pm
eddot98 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:02 pm What do you use for a grinder? I too have been put off by the extra work, but if it’s as easy as you say, I might change to beans from ground coffee.
I use a Bunn LPG-1:

It holds 6lbs of beans (but is rarely that full for freshness reasons) and grinds a measured dose directly into the basket used by my Bunn CW15-TC brewer:

Push button on grinder, wait 7 seconds, transfer basket to brewer, pour water in top (mine is not directly plumbed, though those models are available), et voila!

It cost a pretty penny, but less than the combined costs of the KitchenAid and other brands we used prior. And it's rated for 40,000 lbs of beans before the burrset has to be replaced, so I'm positive it's the last drip grinder I will ever buy--we go through about 4lbs/week. Same for the brewer, which is a touch more expensive than the dead Technivorm it replaced, but is designed to brew 8 pots/hour, 14 hours/day, 7 days/week for 2 decades or so. We brew 3 pots/day, so it should last forever.
Thanks, but that’s a little over the top for us. We brew one 10 cup pot per day and sometimes a couple of cups get thrown away. This appears to be a commercial type product, so I will look for a home model. When I checked on the price of your Bunn at Amazon, a few other home models, such as a Cuisinart DBM-8 came up for under $40 that might do the trick. Thanks again for your response.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Like most things, it depends on how much you want to (or are willing to) spend. Assuming you don't want a manual hand-grinder (to, perhaps, build strong muscles!) there are TWO main kinds of electric grinders:
  • Blade grinders (cheaper)
  • Burr grinders (more expensive, with several sub-categories -- flat, conical, steel, ceramic)
To answer your question, I have a Breville steel, conical, burr model that is no longer in production. It cost about $200 a few years (4?) back. They have current models in that price range. Not sure what I'd buy if I was currently in the market but I would also look at the various Baratza models.

Blade grinders are less desirable as they produce a less controlled grind. The grind will be a mix of variously sized particles, from dust to chunks. The average particle size depends on how long you let the grind go. Small time differences result in big differences in average particle size.

Burr grinders can be set to give a specific (and fairly consistent) particle size and don't need to be timed, although many burr grinders have timers to control the amount of grounds produced from a bean hopper. Many (most?) people ignore this and put in a specific amount of beans for a single brew and grind them all for each batch of coffee. I go by weight.

If you are interested in espresso you need high-end (expensive) model that can get a consistent, fine, grind and I have not bothered with those.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

I like Eight O'Clock Colombian Peaks - inexpensive and widely available either whole bean or ground. Its certainly "value". But +1 to Guatemalan, I don't think I've had any I didn't like. Obviously I'm not a connoisseur, and I do have a soft spot for Eight O'Clock coffee, it was available whole bean in the early seventies , at the local A&P, when it seemed the height of sophistication me.
Last edited by Dantes on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 »

Folgers Colombian is my daily drinker. Hard to beat imho
Enganerd

Post by Enganerd »

I really enjoy coffee. I look forward to it, I enjoy the ritual of preparing a a french press to cold brew for 10 hours and be ready for me in the morning. I enjoy the french press of hot coffee after lunch. However, I guess I just do not have a discerning pallet. I like cheaper ground coffee like Folgers Columbia, McCafe French Roast and etc. I like the idea of the coffee being more fresh and therefore healthier if you grind whole bean but is it worth the extra expense and hassle if it does not taste considerably better to me? Is there any real reason other than the freshness narrative of whole bean coffee to buy whole beans? Are there studies showing more bio-available antioxidants?
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

for those of you who roast, have you heard (or what do you think) about the possible link between acrylamide and cancer? I believe acrylamide is released during the roasting process (I'm no expert here). Yes I know there are other foods (fried, etc) that also release acrylamide, but was wondering if this changes anyone's interest in roasting or not? Thoughts?
Nonetheless, based on animal findings, the National Toxicology Program says acrylamide can “reasonably be anticipated to be a human carcinogen,” and the Environmental Protection Agency has deemed it a “probable human carcinogen.”

At this point, it’s only safe to say there’s an association between acrylamide and cancer — more research is necessary to know if it actually causes the disease.
source: http://time.com/5222563/what-is-acrylamide/
https://www.google.com/search?q=roastin ... fox-b-1-ab
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
jdb

Post by jdb »

Love these periodic coffee topics, about every six months. And each time I find I am drinking a different coffee. Currently Peet’s Major Dickason dark blend whole beans from Whole Foods, I use a French press. No idea where the beans are sourced.
MFD

Post by MFD »

I decided that acrylamide in coffee is not a problem.

I don't think it is a special hazard for roasters either, as it is that the acrylamide is formed during the roasting process (or when any food containing the amino acid asparagine is cooked at a high temperature) not that it is released. From what I read the levels in the actual coffee beverage we consume are much lower than in other foods like french fries that contain acrylamide. Here is a selection from "https://dailycoffeenews.com/2013/11/15/ ... ould-know/"

"However, the highest level of the compound occurs at a roasting level too light for consumer preferences, after which it begins to degrade significantly during further roasting. Completed roasting leaves only a fraction of the original acrylamide levels in the bean. Moreover, there’s very little acrylamide left in brewed coffee as it is consumed."

The problem might be that they are measuring ppb, instead of an amount per serving.

The FDA is comparing levels in ground coffee or instant coffee, not the fully prepared food. Here is a list of levels in various foods, where everything seems to be in its prepared state except the coffee (and maybe the unsweetened chocolate and cocoa, which is even higher). There are also brewed coffee values. https://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillne ... 053549.htm

Some selected foods I think are common or especially high values:
McDonald's french fries, location 1 193
McDonald's french fries, location 2 328
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 5, bag 1 319
Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips (baked) 35
Gorton's Tenders Extra Crunchy fish fillets (baked) 30
Pepperidge Farm Dark Pump Pumpernickel (not toasted) 34
Pepperidge Farm Dark Pump Pumpernickel (toasted) 364
General Mills Cheerios 266
Good Health Natural Foods Honey Dijon Mustard Julienne Potato Stix 1168
Utz White Corn Tortillas 111
Blue Diamond Smokehouse Almonds 457
Planters Salted Almonds 249
Hershey's Cocoa 909
Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar ND (nondetect)
Starbucks Coffee Colombia (ground, not brewed) 163
Starbucks Coffee Colombia (brewed) 7
Safeway Instant Coffee (powdered, not brewed) 377
Safeway Instant Coffee (brewed) 6

Here is a table of various coffees including the amount after brewing, which are significantly lower and don't seem to be a concern, most seem to be around 10 ppb or less. https://www.healwithfood.org/articles/c ... levels.php

To me the decision is to not eat instant or ground coffee directly, to stay away from "Good Health Natural Foods" like Honey Dijon Mustard Julienne Potato Stix, and don't toast your Pumpernickel.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

MFD thanks for your take on that.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
jjustice

Post by jjustice »

deanbrew wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:11 pm I enjoy coffee, but it hasn't become a hobby or obsession with me. I buy 8 O'Clock 100% Columbian coffee as my regular, go-to. It's the best mass-produced coffee I've found, and is an excellent value.
+1

John
Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon »

*shifts awkwardly*

I'm just a Costco-brand Colombian peasant. Sometimes Maxwell House, Kroger brand, or random packs of other stuff like Gevalia. All in a Cuisinart drip coffee maker, $59.99 at Costco.

Maybe a burr grinder + Chemex pour-over method to start. Or cold brew. Or French press.

I have a lot to learn to be as cool as you guys. ;)
barreg

Post by barreg »

I'm a big fan of the Colombian Supremo coffee beans at Costco. Very good flavor, about $5/lb. Haven't noticed any off or stale flavors.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

barreg wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:13 am I'm a big fan of the Colombian Supremo coffee beans at Costco. Very good flavor, about $5/lb. Haven't noticed any off or stale flavors.
barreg,

How do you brew your coffee? Expresso?

Costco store roasted coffee bean tend to be over-roasted because they use a big 1,000-pound coffee roaster. If you drip brew your coffee, you could taste the burn after-taste. Ditto if you cold brew the coffee. If you expresso brews your coffee, you would not taste the difference.

KlangFool
barreg

Post by barreg »

KlangFool wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:21 am
barreg wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:13 am I'm a big fan of the Colombian Supremo coffee beans at Costco. Very good flavor, about $5/lb. Haven't noticed any off or stale flavors.
barreg,

How do you brew your coffee? Expresso?

Costco store roasted coffee bean tend to be over-roasted because they use a big 1,000-pound coffee roaster. If you drip brew your coffee, you could taste the burn after-taste. Ditto if you cold brew the coffee. If you expresso brews your coffee, you would not taste the difference.

KlangFool
I use drip brew and don't it doesn't taste burnt to me. However, I do prefer a darker roast.