Spaghetti Squash

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MP173

Spaghetti Squash

Post by MP173 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:11 am

The leaves on our spaghetti squash are drying out, actually turning brown and dying. This seems to have occurred also in the past. This year my wife is retired and taking interest in the garden and she is concerned about eating the squash.

We have researched on line and it is either a fungus or a vine borer...no idea which it might be. The squash plant has grown quite well, in fact up and over a fence and up nearby pine trees and is about 15-20 ft above ground. There are about 6 nice sized squash which are turning yellow.

Any suggestions? Let the plants ride out or pick the fruits now?

Ed

lthenderson

Re: Spaghetti Squash

Post by lthenderson » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:50 am

MP173 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:11 am
The leaves on our spaghetti squash are drying out, actually turning brown and dying. This seems to have occurred also in the past. This year my wife is retired and taking interest in the garden and she is concerned about eating the squash.

We have researched on line and it is either a fungus or a vine borer...no idea which it might be. The squash plant has grown quite well, in fact up and over a fence and up nearby pine trees and is about 15-20 ft above ground. There are about 6 nice sized squash which are turning yellow.

Any suggestions? Let the plants ride out or pick the fruits now?

Ed
I used to grow ten acres of squash as a business. I would leave the fruits on for as long as there are green leaves left. Even after they are dead, there really is no hurry to pick them unless the ground is abnormally moist, you have a squash beetle infestation or before a frost.

Nottooclever

Post by Nottooclever » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:03 pm

If they are ripe I'd pick them.

Last season we had 2 fine fruits on our spaghetti squash vine. One day I wondered why my wife picked them. She asked me why I'd picked them.

We have no idea where they went.

Perhaps squirrels.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:24 pm

If there are still some green leaves, the plant can probably be saved, if you are willing to use chemicals.

Squash vine borer damage is easy to see. Just go to the base of the stalk/root area, and examine the stalk from there on out. If you find holes, thats the borers. I sprinkle that area with Sevin dust, and coat the stem for a few inches in either direction. You'll also need to water the plant more than usual since it can't deliver as much water until it heals.

If it's not borers, then it's probably a fungus/wilt. These can be treated with a fungicide spray. Those aren't cheap, but a bottle will last a long time.

I've had squash get hit with both at the same time. Now I use both fungicides and Sevin dust as a preventative every year.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:26 pm

I went out and checked the plant.

There is a crack in the stem at the base but no holes which I could see....I didnt examine very long as it started raining (we need it).

After the rain, I will examine more closely and probably add both sevin to base and copper fungicide to leaves...I have both.

The fruits are beginning to get a nice yellow color and I would like to let them go as long as possible. Leaves away from stem are still green but are turning dusty. Interesting watching the progression of the regression.

Ed

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:56 pm

MP173 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:26 pm
I went out and checked the plant.

There is a crack in the stem at the base but no holes which I could see....I didnt examine very long as it started raining (we need it).

After the rain, I will examine more closely and probably add both sevin to base and copper fungicide to leaves...I have both.

The fruits are beginning to get a nice yellow color and I would like to let them go as long as possible. Leaves away from stem are still green but are turning dusty. Interesting watching the progression of the regression.

Ed
Sounds like you have both problems! Good luck.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.