Best BBQ in San Antonio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
snoopdoug1

Best BBQ in San Antonio

Post by snoopdoug1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:08 pm

I'm going to San Antonio in a couple weeks, and driving down to about 30 miles outside of Corpus Christi. I love BBQ. Suggestions on which one I should try? Only there for a short time.

Also - if there are any non BBQ suggestions I'm up for those too!

livesoft

Re: Best BBQ in San Antonio

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Do you want to brag to your friends about eating in a BBQ place that has been in Texas Monthly or another top 10 list?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq-home/

Or do you want to experience the gluttony of patrons?

Or both?

I don't think it matters which BBQ you eat at when it comes to the BBQ itself. :) The reason is that the non-best ones go out of business very quickly.

But give us the names/locations of 3 BBQ places that you have loved and we might be able to tilt a recommendation or two towards your preference.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Dakotah

Post by Dakotah » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Rudy's Country Store is my favorite. There are a few, but I'm partial to the one near SeaWorld. Recommend the moist brisket and creamed corn

dart330

Post by dart330 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:10 pm

I was really impressed with http://twobrosbbqmarket.com
Peaches in the beans and very juicy brisket.

Pretty close to the airport as well.

oilrig

Post by oilrig » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:14 pm

Drive down about 60 miles from San Antonio to Lockhart, TX. It’s the capital of BBQ in Texas. Take your pick: Smittys, Blacks, Kreuz Market.

snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:16 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:44 pm
Do you want to brag to your friends about eating in a BBQ place that has been in Texas Monthly or another top 10 list?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq-home/

Or do you want to experience the gluttony of patrons?

Or both?

I don't think it matters which BBQ you eat at when it comes to the BBQ itself. :) The reason is that the non-best ones go out of business very quickly.

But give us the names/locations of 3 BBQ places that you have loved and we might be able to tilt a recommendation or two towards your preference.
Thanks - I'll look at the list. I saw another suggestion for Rudy's - and I love that place. Been to the one in Colorado Springs before - the turkey & hot links are my favorite. The green chile stew is great too!

EDIT: To answer your 3 BBQ places I love:
Sugarfire Smokehouse, St. Louis, MO
Rudy's BBQ, Colorado Springs, CO
Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q, Charleston, SC
Last edited by snoopdoug1 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:17 pm

oilrig wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:14 pm
Drive down about 60 miles from San Antonio to Lockhart, TX. It’s the capital of BBQ in Texas. Take your pick: Smittys, Blacks, Kreuz Market.
Doh - that's 60 miles the wrong way. Maybe when I get more time I'll give it a shot.

snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:19 pm

dart330 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:10 pm
I was really impressed with http://twobrosbbqmarket.com
Peaches in the beans and very juicy brisket.

Pretty close to the airport as well.
Awesome - depending on other suggestions that may be the winner. I just looked, really close to the airport, and they serve grape kool aid. This place has to be good haha.

snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:19 pm

Dakotah wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:05 pm
Rudy's Country Store is my favorite. There are a few, but I'm partial to the one near SeaWorld. Recommend the moist brisket and creamed corn
That's the one palce I've been too, but to the one in Colorado Springs. I agree, that place rocks.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Rudy's is good for "fast food" bbq, but it's a loooongp way behind the ones in Lockhart mentioned above.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:50 pm

Rudy's is a BBQ chain with many locations. I like them, too, with two locations near me.

I checked my other favorite places and they have no San Antonio locations.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

simpletimes

Post by simpletimes » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:42 pm

2M Smokehouse BBQ

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:41 pm

TxAg wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:42 pm
Rudy's is good for "fast food" bbq, but it's a loooongp way behind the ones in Lockhart mentioned above.
I agree with this. Rudys is to BBQ what McDonalds is to a hamburger. I see people like them, but I guess I'm not one of them. I'm afraid I don't know of a better choice in San Antonio. Lockhart would be worth the drive, though.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

BogleBike

Post by BogleBike » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Rudy's is okay. I didn't believe Kreutz was special until I ate there. It was fantastic.

richardmr2

Post by richardmr2 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:14 pm

I would recommend a place called Texas Pride BBQ. The brisket and pork ribs are delicious and I would also recommend the german potato salad and cheesy potatoes. If you happen to go between Tuesday-Thursday, there is a Groupon offer to Texas Pride! Enjoy your stay in SA.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:09 am

We loved le BBQ in Austin.

gostars

Post by gostars » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 am

The Granary and 2M are both amazing. Texas Monthly also has Smolik's on their list, but I can't vouch for that one. It's in Mathis right off I-37 on the way to Corpus.

Lockhart has kind of been hit or miss for me recently, enough that I skipped it my last trip down to Austin. Austin is just doing it better, even if you leave out Franklin and the 4 hour line. Stiles Switch. La Barbecue, and Terry Black's are all world-class.

Please don't insult Rudy's by calling it the McDonald's of barbecue. Dickey's is the McDonald's of barbecue. Rudy's is at least the Whataburger/In-N-Out/Five Guys (whatever your preference) of barbecue. It's still fast food, but at least it's good fast food.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:52 am

gostars wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 am
Please don't insult Rudy's by calling it the McDonald's of barbecue. Dickey's is the McDonald's of barbecue. Rudy's is at least the Whataburger/In-N-Out/Five Guys (whatever your preference) of barbecue. It's still fast food, but at least it's good fast food.
I think that's fair. I would agree I low rated Rudys using Micky D's as the comparison and the ones you listed above are better choices.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:19 am

I have family in SA and have been visiting the City for 30+ years. I still very much like Rudy’s. Tried many others but always go back there - it has been very consistent over the years and is also very consistent across its locations. Certainly not “high end” but very good, in my opinion. I always pick up a large take-out order before I leave town...

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:56 am

When you get to San Antonio, keep driving west until you get to Junction. Exit I-10 at Main Street, go towards town (heading south, as I recall), cross over the river, and eat at Lum's.

Their smoked turkey is excellent.

JPH

Post by JPH » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:40 am

If Lum's in on your way, go there. Nothing in San Antonio proper is exceptional. But you can easily find something good. Even Rudy's can be enjoyed. What you want is barbecue. Any other spelling or abbreviation is a signal to avoid. Google "Texas Barbecue Trail" if you just want to do some research on some of the finest spots. Real plates and eating utensils are signs of compromise. Some really good food can be obtained from a tar papered shack or trailer along the road. Enjoy!
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:35 pm

Try Black Board BBQ in Sisterdale. Wagyu Brisket alone is worth it, but add the wild boar sausage and your treat is complete.

Note: Only open Thurs-Sat noon-8.

https://jessicalynnstrom.com/2017/08/11/blackboard-bbq/
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 pm

euroswiss wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:19 am
I have family in SA and have been visiting the City for 30+ years. I still very much like Rudy’s. Tried many others but always go back there - it has been very consistent over the years and is also very consistent across its locations. Certainly not “high end” but very good, in my opinion. I always pick up a large take-out order before I leave town...
I agree that Rudy's is excellent. Sure there is better, but they are not even 10% better (not even the famed Franklin's barbecue is 10% better than Rudy's - and is certainly not "worth" the 4 hour line). Try their desserts as well, very good, and PLEASE don't use utensils. There is one in Boerne (NW San Antonio) if that's where you are.

georgenator

Post by georgenator » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:28 pm

I second the Lockhart recommendation. In town the Rudy's in Leon Springs (Boerne direction) seems to be a better Texas experience to me. The moist brisket, baby back ribs, cream corn, beans, and sausage are all very tasty. Don't forget pickles and raw onions. Two Brothers was kind of sweet and too peppery the last time I was there. One of my favorites used to be Old Smokehouse in the medical center, but it has been years since I've been there.

http://oldsmokehouse.net

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:44 pm

If it’s made in Texas, you know it’s good.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm going to slightly amend my earlier answer.

Lum's is by far better than anything that Rudy's offers, and is much better than anything you'll find in San Antonio when it comes to barbecue, but if you really want to eat BBQ in San Antonio, you could always go to a HEB grocery store that has a True Texas BBQ eatery in it and eat there. Their chicken dish isn't all that bad, the sausage is usually decent, brisket can be hit or miss depending on how fatty it is, and the pulled pork is probably best left on the pig, but it is BBQ in Texas served in a very San Antonio (and to some extent, Texas) establishment.

Google indicates that there are at least two such HEB True Texas BBQ locations in San Antonio.

glock19

Post by glock19 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 pm

To the OP...........if you haven't got the drift by now, in Texas, next to arguing religion and politics, the best barbecue, Mexican food, and catfish places are highly controversial topics. There ain't no two barbecue connoisseurs that are going to give you the same answer. Fistfights have broke out among the highly opinionated. Just come to Texas and try all of the places you can, and then you too can become an expert.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 pm

Augie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 am

glock19 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:12 pm
To the OP...........if you haven't got the drift by now, in Texas, next to arguing religion and politics, the best barbecue, Mexican food, and catfish places are highly controversial topics. There ain't no two barbecue connoisseurs that are going to give you the same answer. Fistfights have broke out among the highly opinionated. Just come to Texas and try all of the places you can, and then you too can become an expert.
I figured as much - thanks for the advice. I will do that! :sharebeer

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:54 pm

Sounds like discussing cheesesteaks in Philadelphia.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Think I read this thoroughly and did not see a recommendation for the The Salt Lick. One of my favorites and I try them every where we go.
https://saltlickbbq.com/

Blacks was pretty good too but there were a lot of flies in there for my taste. Maybe it was the season or someone left the door open too long?

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Lemonaid56 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 pm
Think I read this thoroughly and did not see a recommendation for the The Salt Lick. One of my favorites and I try them every where we go.
https://saltlickbbq.com/

Blacks was pretty good too but there were a lot of flies in there for my taste. Maybe it was the season or someone left the door open too long?
Is there a Salt Lick in the San Antonio area? Everybody has their opinion, mine: Salt Lick is the most overrated BBQ and possibly most overrated restaurant overall that I have ever been to. I ate a lot of BBQ during my 5yrs in Texas, my half a dozen or so experiences at Salt Lick were all extremely underwhelming. Despite it's fame and frequent mention on the food channel, it can't hold a candle to most of the other places mentioned in this thread (almost all of which I tried at one time or another). I have favorites in Houston, Dallas, and Austin areas, but I don't recall any particular place in San Antonio really standing out.

gostars

Post by gostars » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Salt Lick is the barbecue version of "sell the sizzle, not the steak". That big open grill over coals sure looks neat, but it's just reheating meat that was previously cooked on a gas-fired smoker in the back.

John88

Post by John88 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 pm

glock19 wrote:
Agree we skipped breakfast and for lunch went to all three places in Lockhart next day we went to san antonio for the Tex Mex food . Imo Central Texas in particular Lockhart has some pretty good que also the old school Texas environment is A nice experience

save-early-often

Post by save-early-often » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:22 pm

snoopdoug1 wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:43 am
glock19 wrote:
I figured as much - thanks for the advice. I will do that! :sharebeer
You might find a few more places to sample here:

http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewforum.php?f=15

But as mentioned above hit as many as you can and report back to us on your findings.

burgrat

Post by burgrat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:20 pm

goblue100 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:52 am
gostars wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:34 am
I think that's fair. I would agree I low rated Rudys using Micky D's as the comparison and the ones you listed above are better choices.
I think Bill Miller BBQ (a chain all over the place in SA and TX) would be like McD's also.

I've been to Lockhart a few times and it's worth the trip, IMO. Don't forget to stop at Buc-ee's on the way there and get some Beaver Nuggets!

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:14 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:46 pm
euroswiss wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:19 am
I agree that Rudy's is excellent. Sure there is better, but they are not even 10% better (not even the famed Franklin's barbecue is 10% better than Rudy's - and is certainly not "worth" the 4 hour line). Try their desserts as well, very good, and PLEASE don't use utensils. There is one in Boerne (NW San Antonio) if that's where you are.
I have been to every BBQ place in Luling and Lockhart as well as many of the recommended places in the state of Texas. I have had good meals and bad meals depending on the time of day that you hit those locations.

I have eaten at Rudy's San Antonio and Phoenix locations and found the BBQ to be very good, very consistent and more customer friendly than most other BBQ places.
Last edited by jlawrence01 on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drusif007

Post by Drusif007 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:53 am

I agree with the 2M rec. Here are a few more I would recommend.

King's Hwy Brew & Q
1012 N Flores St, San Antonio, TX 78212
(210) 971-9024
https://goo.gl/maps/7sbH7La1H9w

Smoke Shack BBQ
3714 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX 78209
(210) 957-1430
https://goo.gl/maps/2DWyGRsPukG2

The Big Bib BBQ
104 Lanark Dr, San Antonio, TX 78218
(210) 654-8400
https://goo.gl/maps/Rzf5hxX9oem

Source: I have lived in SA for the last 12 years

snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:44 pm

Thank you to everyone who responded, will likely be going back to that area a fair amount over the next few years. This time, we stopped at 2M Smokehouse since it was right on the way. The exterior was interesting, but the food was great! THe meat was much better than the sides. I had the 2M sandwich, and the chopped brisket was really really good. Sauce was unique, almost tasted like it had some oil in it or something... definitely not a type of sauce I was used to, but very good. Will try some other place next time!

Note: At 2PM, they were out of Turkey & Sausage.

Also ate at Chuy's on the way back, we were all happy with that as well!

snoopdoug1

Post by snoopdoug1 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 am

Had another opportunity yesterday and stopped at Auggie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse on the suggestion here. Had brisket, jalapeno sausage, chopped brisket beans, and Mac n cheese.

I have a mixed review on the place. Brisket was excellent, sausage was so-so. Chopped brisket beans were also subpar, while the mac n cheese was very good. Probably wouldnt stop at this one again, on to try more on the list!

nic3456

Post by nic3456 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:08 pm

I realize this post is a few weeks old now, but thought I would throw in my two cents. I don't even bother getting BBQ in SA. If I can't get from Austin (La BBQ, Mickelwaite, etc) or Lockhart I'll just go without.

A note on Salt Lick - it does have good ambience but the food is super disappointing and you'll never get strong smoke flavor from an open pit like they have.

I haven't tried the newest BBQ places in SA yet so maybe there's hope 👍

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:25 am

oilrig wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:14 pm
Austin has far surpassed Lockhart. Drive 60 miles north, not east.