Why dont people sit outside more? And how to deal with bugs?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jayk238

Why dont people sit outside more? And how to deal with bugs?

Post by jayk238 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Any natural ways to deal with bugs at night time or evenings?
They're not so bothersome I wont stay out but it would be nice to repel them.
Any natural tried and true ways to make this work? Candles, lights etc? I see it online but don't know how true any of it is (anything natural leads to a hodgepodge of questionable links)

Also, why dont more people sit out? Its a curiosity. I mean, its beautiful out and we have a nice sunbrella to provide shade and lights and I cant imagine wanting to sit inside in this weather.

GoldStar

Re: Why dont people sit outside more? And how to deal with bugs?

Post by GoldStar » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:09 pm

Our solution was to build a screened in porch.
We spend a lot of time outside.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:11 pm

Bugs will carry you away in my area. Two cases of West Nile reported in my small town last week.

The chimney swifts are doing the best they can but they can't eat them all.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:16 pm

I thought we would have the star-wars for mosquitoes laser shield by now after that TED talk, but nobody’s been able to make it work I guess.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 pm

I was just outside walking the dog. Lots of kids riding bikes in the cul-de-sac. Talked to someone fishing at the pond.

A few mosquitoes. It's 90 deg F and feels like 97 deg according to internet. That's why folks don't sit outside.

I have permethrin-treated knee-high socks, a bug net for my head, a long-sleeve shirt. If bugs are bad, I put time-release DEET on my knees and backs of hands. I find I don't need as much as with non-time-release DEET.
Last edited by livesoft on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Didn't you just answer your question? In lots of places people don't sit outside because of the bugs! Those people with screened in porches seem to sit outside a lot!

In the South in the summer, though, it's often too hot to sit outside even in the evening. The heat and humidity doesn't really improve in the evening when it's full summer down here.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Not many bugs where I live. I spend as much time as possible outside. In fact I am outside right now resting in the backyard reading BH and replying to your post.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:54 pm

Build a bat house. Use mosquito spray.

We love being outside. It was 100* today but it only seems "too hot" from 12-6. After that it's easily tolerable.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:06 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:21 pm
Didn't you just answer your question? In lots of places people don't sit outside because of the bugs! Those people with screened in porches seem to sit outside a lot!

In the South in the summer, though, it's often too hot to sit outside even in the evening. The heat and humidity doesn't really improve in the evening when it's full summer down here.
That was my first thought. Who wants to sit outside and get eaten by bugs all the while struggling to breath hot humid air when you can sit inside:)

Screened porches are a common way of dealing with bugs but they tend to limit what you can do.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:09 pm

I miss the old Shell no pest strips. They seemed to work great.

But I guess they were bad somehow.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:13 pm

• No temperature control
  • No humidity control
  • Insects
  • No TV outside
  • People don't actually want to run into neighbours
  • Smaller backyards & frontyards means no view anyway
  • Noise
  • Outdoor furniture is less comfortable
  • Probably more I can't think of right now

WeMigr8

Post by WeMigr8 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:25 pm

Box or oscillating fan... poor critters can't seem to overcome the draft... worth a try anyway, and just might help with the other discomforts of sitting outside in the heat & humidity.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:46 pm

We sit outside 1-2 hours most evenings in the summers while grilling dinner. Deep South. I would be happy to stay out longer if there is at least a bit of a breeze, but DW must watch TV in A/C. We have figured out how to beat mosquitos (but not "no-see-ums" etc). Again, it is good enough for me, but not for DW.

However, I have little desire to sit on the front porch all day long and watch people pass up and down the sidewalk as we used to do at my grandmother's house up north when I was a kid.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Because it is 110 at 6pm.

With that said, we get out every night, year round in the Phoenix area. Not necessarily the backyard, but the front yard and cul-de-sac. The kids play and we chat with the neighbors.

Casper

Post by Casper » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:03 pm

Bug spray with deet. I guess it's not "natural," but it actually works, unlike most "natural" solutions. If there was a tried and true natural solution, you'd have heard of it by now.

five2one

Post by five2one » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:27 pm

I spray with a sprayer every couple weeks and don't have bug problems, even when I lived in the south.
That said, most bugs can't fly if wind exceeds 5 mph so add a fan.

Depending on where I live, we use our porch, if the house has one, court, etc.

JDDS

Post by JDDS » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:55 pm

I sat outside with a beer for about 30m earlier tonight because the weather was quite nice. 3 bug bites later and I had sadly had enough. I'm the sort of guy who can be outside with another half dozen people and I'm the only one getting bitten.

It's a good point about fans, I have a plug on my deck and I think I'll try that tomorrow if the weather holds up.

radiokurt

Post by radiokurt » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:42 am

WeMigr8 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:25 pm
Box or oscillating fan... poor critters can't seem to overcome the draft... worth a try anyway, and just might help with the other discomforts of sitting outside in the heat & humidity.
^This

We have added the Skeeterbag to kill the mosquitos. Makes it quite nice outside.

https://skeeterbag.com/

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:57 am

wow..never thought about bugs stopping people for enjoying the outdoors. Very unfortunate for those who live in "buggy areas".

dekecarver

Post by dekecarver » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:30 am

Way to many other options rather than sit outside anymore, especially for kids.

I'm outside more than inside. I treat clothing with permethrin and if sitting around a grill etc, you can't beat a
Thermacell.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:59 am

We live in hot and humid NC. A screened porch with a ceiling fan works really well, even in the middle of summer. It is cooler in the house but there is no substitute for fresh air.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:14 am

I have an overhead fan on the back porch and burn incense. I think the fan works for the mosquitoes and the incense for the no see ums.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:23 am

It depends on where one lives.

In the hot and humid place I used to live, even walking (I.e. constantly moving) in the yards could result in many mosquito bites, ants attack, chiggers and ticks attached to my body, etc. Even a screened in porch did not help with those.

And in many parts of the country, summer is simply too hot and buggy to sit outdoor.

OTOH, coastal California is great to be outdoor in the summer. That's why the real estate prices are through the roof.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:13 pm
  • No temperature control
  • No humidity control
  • Insects
  • No TV outside
  • Noise
Yep... I know I'll get flak for saying it but I see in those gated cookie cutter McMansion neighborhoods where the houses are right on top of each other and have no trees for shade... its always a ghost town. People hide inside and dont talk to each other. Only sign of life is the professional lawn crew moving door to door.

In my eclectic old house neighborhood we are all out at various times doing yard work, relaxing on the patio, socializing with the neighbors. We hide indoors if the humidity gets too high or it goes over 90F.

A few options for bugs. Some folks get their yard treated.. Some try citronella or a bug zapper. I have a few of those Thermacell insect repellers and will put them out around the patio when we have people over.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:33 am

jharkin wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 am
A few options for bugs. Some folks get their yard treated..
No more summer fireflies either then.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:46 am

Our second living room 9 months a year is the screened in porch with ceiling fan in the relatively shady tree lined back yard. June 1 thru Sept 30 it is no fun (at least for me) to sit outside with all the bugs in our deep South location.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:16 am

jharkin wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:27 am
AlohaJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:13 pm
  • No temperature control
  • No humidity control
  • Insects
  • No TV outside
  • Noise
Yep... I know I'll get flak for saying it but I see in those gated cookie cutter McMansion neighborhoods where the houses are right on top of each other and have no trees for shade... its always a ghost town. People hide inside and dont talk to each other. Only sign of life is the professional lawn crew moving door to door.

In my eclectic old house neighborhood we are all out at various times doing yard work, relaxing on the patio, socializing with the neighbors. We hide indoors if the humidity gets too high or it goes over 90F.

A few options for bugs. Some folks get their yard treated.. Some try citronella or a bug zapper. I have a few of those Thermacell insect repellers and will put them out around the patio when we have people over.
I live in lcol area and renting in blue collar neighborhood. I mention this because the houses and yards are huge and there is a lot of trees and water to see.
I agree cookie cutter sucks. We are currently looking at good homes in leafy areas as a result

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:20 am

JDDS wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:55 pm
I sat outside with a beer for about 30m earlier tonight because the weather was quite nice. 3 bug bites later and I had sadly had enough. I'm the sort of guy who can be outside with another half dozen people and I'm the only one getting bitten.

It's a good point about fans, I have a plug on my deck and I think I'll try that tomorrow if the weather holds up.
Beer causes increased co2 exhalation which leads to increased mosquito attraction. A lot of bugs are attracted to co2

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:24 am

GoldStar wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:09 pm
Our solution was to build a screened in porch.
We spend a lot of time outside.
That's what we did. We built a large screened porch onto the back of our house that has rocking chairs and a swing. We keep the bird feeder stocked and have plants that attract birds and butterflies. We're out there every day, so it was money well spent.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:10 am

BTW, people didn't sit outside in the past when there were lots of bugs.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:18 am

jayk238 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:07 pm
Any natural ways to deal with bugs at night time or evenings?
They're not so bothersome I wont stay out but it would be nice to repel them.
Any natural tried and true ways to make this work? Candles, lights etc? I see it online but don't know how true any of it is (anything natural leads to a hodgepodge of questionable links)

Also, why dont more people sit out? Its a curiosity. I mean, its beautiful out and we have a nice sunbrella to provide shade and lights and I cant imagine wanting to sit inside in this weather.
During summer when it's hot (90-110), I don't even see or feel any bugs outside. So I just enjoy being outside. Same thing with when it's cold (under 50). It's usually when it's rainy and/or temp 65-85 degree (it may be considered as perfect weather to some), bugs come out of the woodwork. During that time, my wife and I usually be active outside (biking, running, hiking, etc.), so bugs won't bother us at all.

So, aside from changing my activities based on the weather like above, I can't think of any other "natural" ways to deal with bugs.

When we go camping or hiking in national forests during good weather for bugs, we have to use bug spray.
Last edited by H-Town on Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:20 am

In our area we have ticks that carry Lyme disease and mosquitoes that carry West Nile virus and eastern equine encephalitis. I have a lightweight long sleeve shirt, long pants, and a baseball cap that I have treated generously with permethrin. I wear these outside when I am working in the yard or mowing the lawn. This combination seems to be effective.

For sitting outside, our deck is a full story above our back yard and the bugs seems to stay lower, around ground level. We rarely see any bugs when we are out on our deck.

dskelcy

Post by dskelcy » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:24 am

I live in Georgia and one way we deal with the bugs is to place a fan outside where we are sitting and most bugs can't handle the breeze from the fan. Cheaper than a screened in porch.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:27 am

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:28 am

After growing up in a place with a lot of bugs (Chicago) then moving to a place with very few bugs (Denver) I would never live in a place where I'm limited to the amount of time outside due to bugs. I love sitting outside on my porch nearly every day. Couldn't do that in Chicago.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:03 am

Sit outside all the time here in the Chicago area. We just keep the area as mosquito free as possible and in reality we dont have a issue. Our patio is used daily, in the morning sitting with a cup and read the paper, noon for lunch and in the evening we cook on the grill almost daily. We even sit out front and talk to the neighbors!

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:40 pm

I sit outside to read often. I won't if it is raining, or very hot (> 90), or too cool (<50). In the summer, the bugs start biting after about 1800, so I put out 2 citronella candles next to my chair. I only use bug spray if the bugs are really bad, which is rare at my house.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Another reason....people can no longer just sit. We need the distraction of a computer or phone or TV or whatever. We have lost our ability to just sit.

MJS

Post by MJS » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:14 pm

When I step outside, my neighbors' dogs react with delight and enthusiasm. After 10 minutes of yapping, barking, howling and whines ... I give up. My cat doesn't like it either, especially when they lunge against the fence.

WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:54 pm

If I sit inside with A/C all day, I get stir crazy and have to be outside for at least a little while. Living Up North, mosquitoes are a way of life. We've found bug spray with deet and a couple of fans blowing cross breezes to work pretty well. Also, if the night's not too warm, the smoke from our fire pit helps out a lot. This summer has been a challenge though, with lots of wet weather and the fact we haven't seen many (in fact only one) bats flying around at dusk. Would love the creative minds of Silicon Valley to come up with something useful that allows us to spend time outside without being bothered by hordes of bugs. Would break my investing rules and buy plenty of that individual stock.

tarheel

Post by tarheel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:37 pm

While it's about $70 every three weeks, we have had wonderful success with MosquitoTek here in Chapel Hill. The spray basically knocks mosquitos down to zero in the backyard, allowing us to enjoy the summer outdoors. Worth the money IMO.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:41 pm

WeMigr8 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:25 pm
We use a fan and it works for us.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:44 pm

Growing up we had a big covered front porch, with rockers & gliders. Dad would smoke a cigar & we'd listen to the Phillies or Orioles on the radio. Saw a lot of folks out & about, usually temps were a little cooler after the evening thunderstorm. But then air conditioning happened, we moved to a newer home with no real porch. I miss that and vow my next home will have a front porch. Where I live now, when you're outside and folks walk the street, most won't even look your way & say hello. I wasn't brought to just ignore your neighbors, but I guess I'm the odd one now.
Too soon old, too late smart.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 pm

Natural solutions are just feel good solutions that don't work.

Harsh chemicals are the answer.
Funding secured

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:36 pm

Interesting topic.

It’s 9:30 pm now in late July in Oakland, CA. It’s 64°outside and too cool for us to comfortably sit outside on our deck. (We don’t have or need AC.)

No mosquitoes, though, which I don’t miss.

Or fireflies, which I do.

There’s a price you pay for everything, isn’t there?
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Post by 123 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:39 am

We've got relatives that live in San Francisco, about 1/2 mile inland from the ocean. It rarely gets over 70 degrees where they live year-round. Maybe they get 15 - 20 days of warmer weather over the course of a year, but it's rarely hot. They don't have air conditioning and I doubt that many people living in San Francisco in single family homes have it. While they live 1/2 mile from the ocean they rarely ever go there, it's just too windy and cold.

When we visit we always remember to bundle up and dress in layers. They typically light their fireplace for visitors regardless of the time of year.

They save a ton on air conditioning expenses, they have none. It's too cold for flying insects like mosquitos. Of course they tell us their furnace goes on most mornings.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

OSUmountaineer

Post by OSUmountaineer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:34 am

If there is a mosquito within shouting distance, it will find me. Here in St. Petersburg, FL, bugs are a year long nightmare with a little reprieve in the winter. Unfortunately the snowbirds come down. Not sure which I'd rather have...

Anyway, we are currently designing a "Florida Room" on the back of our house. This state is amazing when you can be outside, even when it's hot and muggy at 10 pm, with a fan on and the frogs/crickets/etc. I find it quite relaxing. Never thought I'd be one to pay $25k for lifestyle, but quality of life will increase immensely once I can sit outside with some whiskey and a book and not be miserable.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:09 am

We have long winters that extend into fall and spring. Many are conditioned to do what they can do year round or most of the year.

That means indoor activities (TV, Movies, Gaming, Reading, etc). I walk around our neighborhood in the summer and it is very quiet. Few walking. Few sitting outside.

Some are at the lake cabin. Cabin season is very popular. Many are inside watching TV. In the summer I sit outside and read, listen to baseball, listen to music. I rarely go in until dusk when the bugs come out. If I get tired I go for a walk or bike ride. Very relaxing.

It is sad with the ticks and mosquitoes carrying disease. We have harsh, long winters but the bugs sure love this area during the summer. Winter is always coming....
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:33 am

123 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:39 am
We've got relatives that live in San Francisco, about 1/2 mile inland from the ocean. It rarely gets over 70 degrees where they live year-round. Maybe they get 15 - 20 days of warmer weather over the course of a year, but it's rarely hot. They don't have air conditioning and I doubt that many people living in San Francisco in single family homes have it. While they live 1/2 mile from the ocean they rarely ever go there, it's just too windy and cold.

When we visit we always remember to bundle up and dress in layers. They typically light their fireplace for visitors regardless of the time of year.

They save a ton on air conditioning expenses, they have none. It's too cold for flying insects like mosquitos. Of course they tell us their furnace goes on most mornings.
We lived in SF for many years. Never had A/C at our apartment nor was it necessary. As far as heat is concerned, we only needed the furnace for 4 months of the year, and that was mostly for breakfast time. That means, for 8 months we had no real utility bills for heating or cooling. Definitely miss living up in the city by the bay!

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:37 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:10 am
BTW, people didn't sit outside in the past when there were lots of bugs.
What about the stereotype of the dad sitting on the porch in a rocker with a shotgun to ward off unwelcome (any) beaus? I suppose I am less nervous now about meeting SO's parents. Thanks!

I do sit outside during the day and read textbooks. Also, falling asleep in the heat of day in California is wonderful; when one wakes up the sensation is like nothing else. By the way, there are no bugs in the middle of the day.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."