8 days in Poland - suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Theseus

8 days in Poland - suggestions?

Post by Theseus »

Hi all

I have 8 days in Poland in the first week of October. This is right after my 8 day hike in Austria. I know it will start getting cold then. But I think I should be able to manage 50s and 60s.

I fly out of Krakow but otherwise I have flexibility as to what I do. I will be traveling solo. I usually like lively and bustling places, mountains, historical buildings, churches, palaces, etc. (not a lot into Art - but I can do some of it). Perhaps catch a symphony orchestra or something.

From what I have read it seems 4 days should be enough in Krakow including Salt Mines and Auschwitz. What else should I not miss in and around Krakow.

And I am looking for recommendations as to where else should besides Krakow I go based on your personal experiences? I am considering spending a few days in Gdansk or Warsaw. Any suggestion?
nedsaid

Re: 8 days in Poland - suggestions?

Post by nedsaid »

I was in Krakow and Warsaw in May of 2016. I was very impressed with Poland. The people are very nice and they like Americans. When I was there, the dollar went a long way. I had to make a special effort to get all of my Zlotys spent before I left. I was 8 days in Poland but it seemed that I barely scratched the surface. I did Auschwitz and the Salt Mines in one day, that seemed to be a good contrast. In Krakow, I spend a lot of time in the old city and on Wawel Hill.
A fool and his money are good for business.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Theseus wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:23 amI have 8 days in Poland in the first week of October. This is right after my 8 day hike in Austria
If you're into hiking, especially in the mountains, I'd suggest splitting your visit between Krakow and a few days in Zakopane in the Tatras. There's both bus and train service between the two out of the main train station in downtown Krakow. The bus is faster, some 2-3 hours IIRC.

There's lots of good hiking in the Zakpane area. The town is a bit of a tourist trap in season. I'd imagine less so in October. It's also quite quaint and a contrast to the big city of Krakow.

BTW, where will you be visiting and hiking in Austria?
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Poznan. And I'd also recommend a side trip to Dresden if you haven't been, it definitely meets the historical churches/palaces part of your criteria. Less than a 3-hour drive from Wroclaw. Stop in beautiful little Goerlitz (on the border between Germany and Poland) on the way. Or even make it to Berlin. Tons of history in both cities, and it doesn't get more bustling than Berlin anywhere on the continent.
Topic Author
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:47 pm
Theseus wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:23 amI have 8 days in Poland in the first week of October. This is right after my 8 day hike in Austria
If you're into hiking, especially in the mountains, I'd suggest splitting your visit between Krakow and a few days in Zakopane in the Tatras. There's both bus and train service between the two out of the main train station in downtown Krakow. The bus is faster, some 2-3 hours IIRC.

There's lots of good hiking in the Zakpane area. The town is a bit of a tourist trap in season. I'd imagine less so in October. It's also quite quaint and a contrast to the big city of Krakow.

BTW, where will you be visiting and hiking in Austria?
Thank you. I will check out Zakpane area.

Actually it's more of a Germany than Austria. It is a hotel to hotel hike with luggage transfer. I am doing Salzalpensteig trail starting at Lake Chiemesee.

Below is the itinerary.

Prien
Bernau
Marquartstein
Reit im Winkl
Rudolphing
Inzell
Bad Reichenhall
Schonau
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I know you are asking about Poland, but I see that you will be very close to Berchtestgaden. It is worth a day, especially if it is sunny and clear.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Topic Author
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Raybo wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:53 pm I know you are asking about Poland, but I see that you will be very close to Berchtestgaden. It is worth a day, especially if it is sunny and clear.
Thank you for the tip. I have two days in Salzburg after my hike. So I can do that while I am in Austria.

Anything specific you recommend there?
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Theseus wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:38 pmActually it's more of a Germany than Austria. It is a hotel to hotel hike with luggage transfer. I am doing Salzalpensteig trail starting at Lake Chiemesee.

Below is the itinerary.

Prien
Bernau
Marquartstein
Reit im Winkl
Rudolphing
Inzell
Bad Reichenhall
Schonau
That's a beautiful area to be sure. FWIW I was hiking about 20 miles south of there in Austria in June.

Schonau is very near Berchtesgaden. And the train between Berchtesgaden and Salzburg goes through Bad Reichenhall. Lots to do in the area. You might also want to check out what music events are on in Salzburg in October.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

Theseus wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:09 pm
Raybo wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:53 pm I know you are asking about Poland, but I see that you will be very close to Berchtestgaden. It is worth a day, especially if it is sunny and clear.
Thank you for the tip. I have two days in Salzburg after my hike. So I can do that while I am in Austria.

I found The Documentation, a museum dedicated to telling the truth about the Nazis and their use of Berchtestgaden, fascinating. It is a stop on the way up to the Eagle's Nest. When I was there, the weather was cloudy and the views non-existent. There is an additional fee to go up to the Eagle's Nest and the views from the Documentation are good, as well.

I'm not sure you will need to do more walking or lake seeing, but hiking around/above the Konigssee was nice, though, again, I was there in the rain.

If you have an interest in bicycling, taking the train up to Berchtestgaden, seeing things, and then biking back down to Salzburg is not a bad way to see the countryside, as well. It is about 14 miles, mostly downhill.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Topic Author
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Raybo wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 am
Theseus wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:09 pm

I found The Documentation, a museum dedicated to telling the truth about the Nazis and their use of Berchtestgaden, fascinating. It is a stop on the way up to the Eagle's Nest. When I was there, the weather was cloudy and the views non-existent. There is an additional fee to go up to the Eagle's Nest and the views from the Documentation are good, as well.

I'm not sure you will need to do more walking or lake seeing, but hiking around/above the Konigssee was nice, though, again, I was there in the rain.

If you have an interest in bicycling, taking the train up to Berchtestgaden, seeing things, and then biking back down to Salzburg is not a bad way to see the countryside, as well. It is about 14 miles, mostly downhill.
That sounds like a good idea. So you just rent a bicycle and take it up with you in the train? Are you allowed to take the bike on the train?
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Theseus wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:06 amSo you just rent a bicycle and take it up with you in the train? Are you allowed to take the bike on the train?
Generally yes. See Your bicycle on the train. Some buses in areas that are popular with cyclists even have trailers for carrying bikes.
Rcf

Post by Rcf »

If you are in eastern Poland I would seeing the Wolf's Lair, Hitler's bunker on the eastern front. It is very interesting WWII history.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

I found Auschwitz to be a very moving day and was happy that my following day was a train travel day to Prague, to clear the mind. Also in Krakow, go see the gates at Shindlers factory.
I was in Poland at the exact same time, and it does start to get a chill in the air...many folks seemed to be pulling their early winter coats out.
Topic Author
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

Thank you all for great input.

Is driving safe and fun in Poland? I was thinking of flying into Gdansk and make my way to Krakow. Not sure if that is worth it or not.
Lloydo

Post by Lloydo »

Theseus wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:40 pm Thank you all for great input.

Is driving safe and fun in Poland? I was thinking of flying into Gdansk and make my way to Krakow. Not sure if that is worth it or not.
Not sure about “fun” ( I’m a motorcyclist who loves hills and curves) but very safe and easy. Go for it. Rented a car in Summer 2016 and had a blast.
jrmillions

Post by jrmillions »

I have never visited Poland (or Europe). Will 7 days be enough to see Gdansk, Warsaw and Krakow (Salt Mine and Auschwitz)? I will be with family. Not sure about using a tour company or making own plans. I appreciate all suggestions. Thank you.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

jrmillions wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:53 am I have never visited Poland (or Europe). Will 7 days be enough to see Gdansk, Warsaw and Krakow (Salt Mine and Auschwitz)? I will be with family. Not sure about using a tour company or making own plans. I appreciate all suggestions. Thank you.
Yes. All 3 are small and with a compact area of tourist interest, and they're only a few hours from eachother.
Topic Author
Theseus

Post by Theseus »

jrmillions wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:53 am I have never visited Poland (or Europe). Will 7 days be enough to see Gdansk, Warsaw and Krakow (Salt Mine and Auschwitz)? I will be with family. Not sure about using a tour company or making own plans. I appreciate all suggestions. Thank you.
Most of the Warsaw was flattened in WWII. I think 1 day may be enough there. Krakow you will need 3 days. I would do Auschwitz in the beginning of the trip. It is a very dark place and nothing will prepare you for the horror. I would not want that to be the last thing on the trip.

Krakow has an amazing falafel place (chain) started by some Syrian refugees. Hopefully it's still around. Mazaya Falafel.
Warren

Post by Warren »

We visit Poland every year, due to family connections. I think 8 days does not allow to venture far outside Krakow. The city itself requires 2-3 full days but if you add Auschwitz and the oldest still working salt mine in Europe in Wieliczka -- then it is 3-4 days. Take a train from the main station to Wieliczka. The same train goes in the other direction to the airport. Zakopane by bus (not train) is about 2 hours away and it is a delight for mountain lovers. You will have hiking trails of different length and difficulty. The miniature Alps offer many hiking and climbing trails and the stylish town numerous options for lodging and eating. I think 4 days in Krakow and 4 days in Zakopane would be the perfect time utilization.

For a two-week trip, I would suggest flying to Gdansk in the north for a few days, including a visit to the largest brick castle of Europe in Malbork. From there you could fly to Wroclaw or Krakow, or take a train to medieval Torun, one of few towns in Poland unscathed by the war. A bus ride between Krakow and Wroclaw is just 3 hours and Dresden is another 3 hours west of Wroclaw but then it becomes a longer trip.

In my view, neither Warsaw or Poznan, mentioned before, would justify stopping by having only 8 days in Poland. That's not long but you will have a memorable time in the old capital of Poland and the mountains in the south. It will be chiller in the piedmont but still pleasant in Krakow.
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

I was in Warsaw about 20 years ago and hope to return in the next year or two and see more of Poland as I liked my first visit. My wife and I recently visited Vilnius and thought it was great. If you get to Poland, I would recommend a side trip to Lithuania!!
retired recently

Post by retired recently »

double post...
celia

Post by celia »

Poland has memorials for Pope John Paul II all over as he was born in Wadowice which is close to Auschwitz. His family lived in the house next door to the church and it is a tourist spot now. As my kids would say when we were in Poland, it is easy to find the church as it usually has a spire, the highest point in the town.

The Castle in Krakow is also worth seeing, esp the bell tower.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
WanderDad

Post by WanderDad »

The Amateur Traveler Podcast recently did a most useful episode on Poland, focusing on Warsaw, Krakow, and Poznan. I’ve got it save for when our fam plans a Poland trip.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a ... 0646827743
jrmillions

Post by jrmillions »

Thank you for the responses. I will definitely take the advice into account.