Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by VictoriaF »

FelixTheCat wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:58 pm One coach recommends flaxseed oil ever day for people over 40
I buy flaxseed, chia seeds, and hemp seeds on Amazon and put them in my salads.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
dm200

Post by dm200 »

VictoriaF wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm
FelixTheCat wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:58 pm One coach recommends flaxseed oil ever day for people over 40
I buy flaxseed, chia seeds, and hemp seeds on Amazon and put them in my salads.

Victoria
yes - I try to have ground flaxseed almost every day. Good for my prostate, so I understand. ;)
mrc

Post by mrc »

We switched (high omega-6) from flax to fish oil (high omega-3 EPA/DHA). One reason why here. Decide for yourself which best helps you stay most active and injury free. Good quality (liquid) fish oil is more expensive than flax seed oil, especially in the required quantities. But so is a knee replacement expensive. Not medical advice, just information.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Angst

Post by Angst »

shell921 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:30 pm
Angst wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:26 am I'd guess that roughly 1/3 of the ever-changing population of orthopedic surgery patients that I interact with have had fractures related to falls. Common denominators include the following:

(Note that although the following items might seem just for people who are beyond "staying active", I assure you that some of the most impressively vital and active 50+ y/o people I've met have still ended up with "dumb" accidental fractures.)

- Age mid-50's and up
- Sudden movement; turning, sidestepping, or getting out of chair.
- Sleepiness: getting out of bed, getting out of chair after resting
- Lack of light: nighttime, saving energy
- General recklessness involving activity, often complicated w/ throw rugs, cords and other hazards
- Stairs
- Alcohol

My lifestyle prescriptions for prophylaxis:
- Train oneself to always think before transitioning in any way.
- Breath in/out 1 full, deep breath before moving. O2 sats can plummet while resting and BP can do the same when rising to stand after resting deeply. People get light-headed...
- Look at your feet and where they will be going, before you begin going there.
- Think about what you're going to do before doing it, always. With practice you won't have to look like some halting, hesitant senior citizen, you can just look like an easy going, thoughtful person. It's worth it.
- USE the handrail on all stairs.
- If a wheeled walker is helpful for certain people at certain times, USE IT.

It's all about training oneself to keep good habits. Unfortunately, I've found that most people need to first experience 1 or more accidental falls before they begin taking these kinds of prescriptions seriously.
Thank-you-excellent ! I am a healthy and fit 70 year old who was/is almost always careful about not falling. Last March I was walking too fast in my garage and tripped and fell over some weatherstripping that was in the wrong place. I broke my right arm!
Yes! This is so common and typical of what I hear. What's most important are the potential sequelae of going into the hospital and having surgery for a fracture: Anesthesia, intubation, transfusion, implants, cardiac infarct, infection, delirium, pneumonia, immobility, pressure sores, 2nd fall, rehab facility, extended care, home health... Stuff happens, even to the outwardly healthiest ones of us. One thing can and will lead to another, and as you age it takes longer and longer to recover and heal. You do not want to have a(nother) fall and break something!
Escape Velocity

Post by Escape Velocity »

Glasgow wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:37 pm Question for those above 50s and jogged when you were young:
In retrospect, would you recommend jogging it? If you did, how has it affected your back, knees and joints?
Well, I actually took up running in late 40s and ran my first marathon when I turned 50. But I really learned the importance of running technique a few years later.

Most of us who grew up wearing sneakers, especially heavily-cushioned ones, probably have bad running form, and that will cause injuries over time (heal strikes, long strides). Indeed, I had some IT-band injuries while training for that first marathon.

Then I happened upon a running coach one year (I think I was 53 at the time), and learned about Evolution Running (which is based on barefoot running techniques): high turnover rate, shorter strides, mid-foot strike, strong core, straight torso. This along with dynamic stretching prior to running, focused on strength and mobility. Since that time, I've had no running injuries, and my times significantly improved (I dropped 20 minutes of my previous PR that year).

It wasn't hard or "unnatural" to learn good running technique, and now I run that way "naturally". If you want to keep running into your senior years, I'd strongly recommend learning good running biomechanics.

Oh and to answer your questions: has not negatively affected my back, knees, or joints -- in fact it has helped them by strengthening the surrounding muscles.

I'm now 61 and will be running another marathon in December. I've since slowed down some due to age, but still really enjoy running.

EV-
Kidneydoc

Post by Kidneydoc »

Great thread. Just turned 49, and hitting midlife crisis. I am being more mindful of what I eat, and driving my wife and kids nuts with my advice (Keto diet). 3 years ago, I started HIIT with Insanity: great workout but I’m not sure how much long my body can takeit. Just started spin classes, and likely will purchase Peloton for Christmas. I had the chance to do yoga classes at a Club Med vacation, and enjoyed it tremendously. I just completely a 5K run with my daughter. I guess the key is flexibility and persistence.

I just went to a 90 year old’s birthday: he boxes and plays tennis 1.5 hours daily. My inspiration.
indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease »

In your 30s you are worried about this. I did not think about aches and pains until I hit my 50s. So you may be in for a serious problem when you get older. At age 54 I mountain bike 2 times a week, gym other days and play freesbie golf on mountain bike days. I feel it but it feels good. But maybe the drinking takes care of the aches on mountain bike days.

I forgot to tell you I play flag football with sons and friends on Sunday morning before NFL game day.

Stay healthy my friend.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Walk Minimum
10,000 Steps
Per Day.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

I think it's a matter of finding something you really want to do and then keeping in shape to do it. The old "train in order to train" line. I haul my butt out to the park so I can get same to class that night, and earn some more bragging/complaining points. A good PT also helps . . .

OK, preventing a second heart attack is also motivating, but short of that there really has to be something worth getting out of bed for. Conditioning per se is super boring -

The definition of "do" does change over the decades, but some activities remain inspiring:

Here are some octagenarian dancers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbqPEg0F69M

In New York, there's more diversity, and retired pros, in the classes. The guy in the background in this clip is 60+ and sneaker girl is 70:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kiu5qyh6lqjjm ... 4.mp4?dl=0

Being a bit nuts also helps . . .
Point

Post by Point »

Avoid impact workouts. I hit gym 6-7 times a week. Alternate days with weight and resistance training, then elliptical for interval HR training on other days. Ride bike to and from gym adding miles of spinning in fat burning range. Age 63. Also ride ElliptiGo for distance.
sjl333

Post by sjl333 »

Not sure if I’m qualified to answer this since I’m only 29. I work out everyday minimum 2-3 hours. There are days I take off if I’m too tired that day. My routine is a mixture walking at an incline, running, weight resistance, cycling (I have a peloton). I end my workouts typically with a 30 minute high intensity swim session, jacuzzi, and sauna. Those last three things are probably the most important to my health as I feel refreshed, relieves all stress from the day, lowers my blood pressure by a good amount, and can sleep like a baby once I get home. Would highly recommend it to everyone.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here are a few relevant threads:

Body weight exercises, i.e. using your own body without a set of weights. You'd be surprised how hard it can be.
- Pull-ups and Push-ups

Strength training (with weights):
- Older Women Lifting Weights
- Any Boglehead powerlifters?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jaxbmw

Post by jaxbmw »

Everything in Moderation.

I jogged for 30 years starting in 1974 after discovering on New Years Day that I couldn't jog to the end of the block and back. I even ran in several National 15Ks after 20 years. I finally quit and decided that the elliptical and treadmill would be easier on my knees and so far no problems.

I never had a weight problem mainly due to a strict focus on only eating at mealtimes. I am not a grazer and have always watched what went into my mouth. This had been ingrained in me by my mother.

I like a beer or a glass of wine but only 1 a day if any at all. Mainly I drink water throughout the day.

I love the outdoors. Cut my own grass, edge my yard, play golf a couple of times a week. In other words I stay active outdoors. It probably helps that we live in Florida. I love the sun.

I do 45 minutes of aerobics twice a week and weight lifting 2-3 times a week. It is amazing how you lose muscle mass as you age. I have added protein shakes but not much luck.

I am 72 and going strong.