Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lws6772

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by lws6772 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:35 pm

Exercise, diet and a good mental attitude. I refuse to get a "pot belly" or "act my age". 61 and still working a physically demanding job.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:24 pm

shell921 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 am
I do yoga, swimming, walking and Classical Stretch.

google Miranda Esmond White. She is a 60-something former ballerina from Canada.
She is not a fan of weight lifting and she says fitness has these components:

1. strength
2. flexibility
3. range of motion
4. balance

Funny enough those are all things that weight lifting works on:) And no I am not shocked that a ballerina isn't a lifting fan.:) If you look around you will find people crediting their health to a zillion things. You will find lifters, endurance people, yoga people, moderate exercise, and so on. What you need to do is figure out how much of it is because of their program and how much of it is survivorship bias. Is the guy that runs 2 marathons/year healthy because he runs or does he run because he stayed healthy? Reality is a mixture. For most people picking anything they will do regularly is far more important than figuring out some ideal program that they don't do.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:27 pm

lws6772 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:35 pm
Exercise, diet and a good mental attitude. I refuse to get a "pot belly" or "act my age". 61 and still working a physically demanding job.
My weakness .. which my wife constantly gives me a hard time about.. :sharebeer

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:30 pm

I haven't seen much mention of progressive resistance exercises. Everyone needs to lift and build muscles or you lose them. You don't notice it and it is a continued degeneration of the body 1% per year till you are frail and weak.

My HS football coach said and I believe it, strong bodies don't get injured. Muscles are sexy, muscles are functional. Doing racquetball is fine for general recreation and is obviously better than binge watching TV while eating Cheetos, and yoga is fine for added flexibility but you need to push against a measured resistance and increase it continually.

Doesn't mean you need to try to set any records or have 5% bodyfat, but I've seen plenty of healthy and good looking men and women well into their 50s and beyond.

I remember Albert beckles who was a pro bodybuilder competitor in his 60s.

Genetics are an excuse of lazy people. Hard work beats genetics every time.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:31 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:20 pm
Maintaining, building muscle is much more important than cardio...
Opinions differ ... both are important, IMO, but if doing cardio prevents your death from a heart attack --
But what about if strength training prevents your death from a heart attack. After all there is some evidence that it does more to promote heart health than cardio:) In the end the amount of cardio you need for health (not to be in really good shape) is pretty minimal. Something like 2 hours/week gets you most of the benefits. Strength training is about the same. Find a way to get it in

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:35 pm

randomguy wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:31 pm
dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:20 pm
Maintaining, building muscle is much more important than cardio...
Opinions differ ... both are important, IMO, but if doing cardio prevents your death from a heart attack --
But what about if strength training prevents your death from a heart attack. After all there is some evidence that it does more to promote heart health than cardio:) In the end the amount of cardio you need for health (not to be in really good shape) is pretty minimal. Something like 2 hours/week gets you most of the benefits. Strength training is about the same. Find a way to get it in
I do and believe in BOTH.

Lillibelle

Post by Lillibelle » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:12 pm

The human body is designed for walking, so daily walks (barring an out-of-sorts Mother Nature) are medicinal and transporting ~ never know where your mind will wander, what birds will call, what clouds or sea spray will catch your eye ~

Mix up your exercise regime, so as to avoid overuse injuries, and remember that yard work and household chores are a work out, too.

Consider a yoga beginner class to learn the basic poses for flexibility, balance, and awareness of the body-mind connection while you are still young. No need to get too fancy.

Be mindful of your posture, diet, weight/BMI, sleeping routine. (the old ounce of prevention)

Do what makes your heart sing ~ for me, twisting to Chubby Checkers or dancing to I Saw Her Standing There is one endorphin rush ... Makes me feel like a girl again ... cardio workout, too!

bgyt

Post by bgyt » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 pm

bondsr4me wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:03 am
I am 68 and stay active and "try" to eat reasonably healthy.

My workout routine:

M-W-F..... 1 hour of yoga followed by 1/2 of swimming.

I highly recommend the yoga. It is good for the body and mind.

You sound like you have had a very positive experience with Yoga. Any advice or recommended path for a newbie starting yoga?

david99

Post by david99 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:04 pm

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:18 pm
theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:17 pm
IMO, your nutrition is equally if not more important than activity level.
Yes - I also moved to Whole Food Plant Based .. Not 100% but a lot ..
I also moved to a mostly whole food plant based diet and I think that it makes a big difference. It makes it easy to keep the weight off.
I will turn sixty this year and I run three times a week. I also do strength training three times a week. When I'm not running or lifting weights, I go for a walk. I think that working out is good but I try not to over do it to avoid injury.

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 pm

71, retired for 12 years. MWF full body workout at gym for about an hour, including machines, dumbells, kettle bells and body weight exercises. Stretching before and after. Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday 15-20 mile bike ride. Saturday is rest day. Often I play hockey for an hour and a half on Tuesdays and Thursday mornings instead of biking. We have a terrific group of mostly former college players who are all over 50, with many over 60 and some, like myself, over 70. It's great to be able to participate with many guys in the same age group who have the same aches and pains. Plus, the locker room experience never gets old. In the winter my wife and I ski every other week for 2 or 3 days. I may have to slow down a bit as I'm due to start radiation for prostate cancer in a couple of months. But the doctors say that I can keep doing what I've been doing, just probably not to the extent, and that exercise can help offset the side effects. Hope they're right. I had back issues many years ago and stopped all running. PT and stretching have pretty much eliminated the issues. Just keep moving!
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:20 am

It is not for me, but I read that Tai Chi can be an excellent exercise for health.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:07 pm

bgyt wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:43 pm
bondsr4me wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:03 am
I am 68 and stay active and "try" to eat reasonably healthy.

My workout routine:

M-W-F..... 1 hour of yoga followed by 1/2 of swimming.

I highly recommend the yoga. It is good for the body and mind.

You sound like you have had a very positive experience with Yoga. Any advice or recommended path for a newbie starting yoga?
I started “easy” yoga about a year ago at the suggestion of my racquetball partner.
Am I glad I did!
It has really helped my shoulder mobility from two rotator surgeries.
My lower back pain is pretty much nonexistent now.
Try it. Give it some time..
I was sore for a short period of time after starting, but that is history.
It has been real therapy for me.
Good Luck!

Don

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:19 pm

50 years old

Been to the emergency room one time when Nixon was president (cut finger and had to get stitches)

Never had:

*X-rays
* MRI
*an IV
*flu shots

Last doctor visit = 26 years ago.
Last prescription = 24 years ago (12 Vicodin taken for dental)

Water, balanced diet (MEAT, fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc.), a little exercise, and sufficient sleep. Also, remove toxic people from your life.

I take various vitamins and supplements as needed.

Savings = thousands in money, time, and grief

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:30 pm

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:19 pm
50 years old

Also, remove toxic people from your life.[/b]

+1

Yes....very important!

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:56 pm

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:
50 years old
Been to the emergency room one time when Nixon was president (cut finger and had to get stitches)
Never had:

*X-rays
* MRI
*an IV
*flu shots

Last prescription = 24 years ago (12 Vicodin taken for dental)

Water, balanced diet (MEAT, fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc.), a little exercise, and sufficient sleep. Also, remove toxic people from your life.

Savings = thousands in money, time, and grief
Yes - you are (and have been) extremely fortunate!!

I agree that frequent doctor visits can sometimes be counter productive - BUT I suggest:

Get the annual flu shot

Establish physician relationship just in case

Get a few "baseline" tests - such as chest X-Ray for future reference.

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:25 pm

I agree with those posters that mentioned strength training. Loss of muscle as we age is limiting if not debilitating. The best book on the subject is

https://aasgaardco.com/store/books/the- ... escription

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Glasgow wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:37 pm
Question for those above 50s and jogged when you were young:
In retrospect, would you recommend jogging it? If you did, how has it affected your back, knees and joints?
I'm 73. I ran/jogged until about 7 years ago having started doing so regularly and seriously in my mid-20s. (I went out for my run one day, stopped halfway through, said , "Screw it; I don't enjoy this any more" and haven't run since (although I still get plenty of exercise.)

To your questions, yes I would recommend it but not as a 5-7 day a week activity as I had done. I would shoot for 3 days a week, something else vigorous the other 2-3 days and 1 day of complete rest. (I was about a 30-40 minute a day runner most of the tine. Ran a number of 5K and 10K races, maybe 3 or 4 10 mile races (for which I trained adequately) but never got into marathons.) When I was running it never bothered my knees or other joints. I would get occasional periods of "bad back" but they were normally attributable to something else like lifting, not running. My knees are now creaky at times and sometimes they outright hurt. Hips similar but not as severe. Doc thinks its arthritis due to aging and encourages me to stay active. I spin 2-3 days a week, walk and row. I don't stretch enough because it bores me. (And I never stretched enough when I was an active runner, something I regret.). I exercise an average of 5 - 5 1/2 days per week over the course of a year but I find myself giving in to the inevitable fact that I ain't no kid anymore.
Friar1610

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:52 pm

After numerous sprains and fractures, two hip replacements and one open heart surgery, I'm in no position to offer advice on staying injury free, but if you're interested in advice from a different perspective, I would say "never give up." Find something that works for you, and if (or when) it stops working try something else. Don't be afraid to try new things.

Also watch your weight, avoid sugar, and don't smoke.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:10 pm

financeguy88 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 am
...stay active and healthy into older ages (mid 50s and older).
Mid-50s is older age? :shock:

Low-impact -- treadmill. No basketball. I like tennis and hiking. Hiking on the treadmill is awesome -- many miles at 10% grade. Be sure to vary the incline or use a program to avoid the type of overuse injury you refer to. Flat-screen right in front -- with Netflix and Amazon -- is a must.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:31 am

OP:

Lifelong workouts: rowing, weightlifting, skiing, marathons and triathlons when younger. As knees gave out, walking and walking/golfing along with weightlifting. Now in mid-60s, I’ve created a 90-min weightlifting routine that I follow 2-3 times a week that has me the most buff since my 20s. Continue to walk as much as knees feel like it on any Yncs given day.

The secret to exercise tolerance is to tolerate exercise. Just don’t stop.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:43 am

randomguy wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:24 pm
shell921 wrote:
I do yoga, swimming, walking and Classical Stretch.

google Miranda Esmond White. She is a 60-something former ballerina from Canada.

1. strength
2. flexibility
3. range of motion
4. balance

Funny enough those are all things that weight lifting works on:) And no I am not shocked that a ballerina isn't a lifting fan.:) If you look around you will find people crediting their health to a zillion things. You will find lifters, endurance people, yoga people, moderate exercise, and so on. What you need to do is figure out how much of it is because of their program and how much of it is survivorship bias. Is the guy that runs 2 marathons/year healthy because he runs or does he run because he stayed healthy? Reality is a mixture. For most people picking anything they will do regularly is far more important than figuring out some ideal program that they don't do.
I think the key is to pick things that you will do on a consistent basis. Look at the New Year's phenomenon every year people resolve to exercise, lose weight, etc. The gyms are packed in January, but most of these people disappear in February.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:46 am

/////
Last edited by Lynette on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:20 am

I do not want to live to 100 or even 90 but
the Blue Zones provide lessons we can all benefit from.

People in Blue Zones typically eat a 95% plant-based diet that’s rich in legumes, whole grains, vegetables and nuts.

What the Blue Zones had in common:

1. no smoking
2. plant based diet / legumes
3. constant activity-keep moving
4. good relations with family
5. constant social engagement

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/bl ... s#section1

https://www.bluezones.com/live-longer-better/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff40YiMmVkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfIm4bll3sg

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:04 pm

As a member of the over 70 set, I doubt if a healthy lifestyle would materially increase longevity. At least, I don't recall any large studies tracking the relationship for the over 70 set. Might make the rate of decline a lot sharper and a lot later vs. a longer steady decline before you hit your number.

I'd suggest the usual moderate exercise, diet, etc. and then trying to keep the usual numbers (BMI, BP, resting heart rates, HDL/LDL, A1C, etc.) in normal limits. Walking ought to do that.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:35 pm

This may have been discussed already, but some may find it interesting;

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/ ... our-knees/

https://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/13486144 ... your-knees

Thanks

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Here's an interesting approach.

If you don't keep your lifestyle realistically "well within" your physical limitations, your body is going to let you know just what those limitations are, sometimes permanently.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:45 pm

If you don't keep your lifestyle realistically "well within" your physical limitations, your body is going to let you know just what those limitations are, sometimes permanently.

j
GOOD one ! If you do not control your lifestyle--it will eventually control YOU!

I like this one:

"Make time for exercise & eating healthy now or you will spend time being sick later".

Of course there are some genetically fortunate individuals who can eat/drink anything, not exercise and smoke
and nothing bad happens-but most people have to do something pro-active in order to "age successfully".

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:38 pm

People often tell me that my healthful eating is "extreme".

I don't think so. What motivates me (among other things) are (I call extreme) seeing someone with a large chest scar from open heart surgery, the instruments used in prostate exams and surgery, seeing or knowing someone on kidney dialysis, etc.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:51 pm

shell921 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:26 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:45 pm

j
GOOD one ! If you do not control your lifestyle--it will eventually control YOU!

I like this one:

"Make time for exercise & eating healthy now or you will spend time being sick later".

Of course there are some genetically fortunate individuals who can eat/drink anything, not exercise and smoke
and nothing bad happens-but most people have to do something pro-active in order to "age successfully".
Good one as well!!

If you absolutely have to keep lifting heavy things "because". . . .
Your body will complain. . . . . and if you don't listen. . . it will enable a permanent solution of its own. :shock:
:oops:

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:24 am

RadAudit wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:04 pm
As a member of the over 70 set, I doubt if a healthy lifestyle would materially increase longevity. At least, I don't recall any large studies tracking the relationship for the over 70 set. Might make the rate of decline a lot sharper and a lot later vs. a longer steady decline before you hit your number.

I'd suggest the usual moderate exercise, diet, etc. and then trying to keep the usual numbers (BMI, BP, resting heart rates, HDL/LDL, A1C, etc.) in normal limits. Walking ought to do that.
You may be right RadAudit. I think a healthy lifestyle will make it more likely that you can enjoy your senior life more. You will still be able to do things many other seniors cannot. In other words, it improves quality of life. I define a healthy lifestyle as reasonable efforts to care for oneself, not the extreme measures some associate with it.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:38 am

carolinaman wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:24 am
RadAudit wrote:

You may be right RadAudit. I think a healthy lifestyle will make it more likely that you can enjoy your senior life more. You will still be able to do things many other seniors cannot. In other words, it improves quality of life. I define a healthy lifestyle as reasonable efforts to care for oneself, not the extreme measures some associate with it.
Very true. It's the "quality of life" in the time we have left that matters.

The rest is individual, some folks start aging in "dog years, or cat years", after age 65, 75, 85, . . . . . . :shock:

j

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:40 am

lws6772 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:35 pm
Actually, it may be the physically demanding job that's keeping away the "pot belly" as well. :D

As for "acting one's age". Don't you notice how there's a great difference between age 5 and 8. Or age 14 and 19. But not much between age 65 and 70. . or 85 and 90?
j

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 am

RadAudit wrote:

Pretty much every study out there has linked smoking, poor diet, alcohol consumption of more than about a galss/day, lack of exercise and being obese to shorter life spans. A total of something like 15-20 years. Granted about half of that is smoking so we are talking about a 5-10 years for the rest. I will let you decide if that is material or not:) There are also some studies that suggest quality of life for those years also drastically improves.

Now it should be pointed out that a lot of what people push as "healthy" may or may not be. I am unaware of any studies that suggest drinking kale juice 3x week does anything or that eating organic veggies instead of normal ones. And just because 45 mins of exercise/day is good, that doesn't mean that 90 is better.

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:55 am

I'm 52 and I have stopped running. Mostly because I do so many other activities that pound on my legs (tennis, basketball) that I thought the extra pounding was not beneficial. I've replaced running with some non-pounding activities - rollerblading, more biking than I had been doing, kayaking. I was never a big runner (would usually run 3-4 miles once or twice a week) and I have questioned the decision because I feel running is the best aerobic exercise of all these activities.
Mark

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:02 am

randomguy wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:47 am
RadAudit wrote:

Pretty much every study out there has linked smoking, poor diet, alcohol consumption of more than about a galss/day, lack of exercise and being obese to shorter life spans. A total of something like 15-20 years. Granted about half of that is smoking so we are talking about a 5-10 years for the rest. I will let you decide if that is material or not:) There are also some studies that suggest quality of life for those years also drastically improves.

Now it should be pointed out that a lot of what people push as "healthy" may or may not be. I am unaware of any studies that suggest drinking kale juice 3x week does anything or that eating organic veggies instead of normal ones. And just because 45 mins of exercise/day is good, that doesn't mean that 90 is better.
This is just the latest (published last week) in peer-reviewed scientific studies which provide evidence that these healthy lifestyle habits extend lifespan. https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/abs/10. ... 117.032047

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Good one as well!!

Your body will complain. . . . . and if you don't listen. . . it will enable a permanent solution of its own. :shock:
And if you don't lift heavy items what happens? Every year the definition of a heavy item keeps dropping until lifting grocery bags is considered a weight workout and walking on a golf course is considered aerobic exercise:). As you get older injury avoidance takes on a bigger factor (i.e. instead of pushing for that 300lb deadlift, you should call it a day at say 290 since overdoing it slightly takes a month to recover from instead of 3 days) but you want to keep lifting heavy things because otherwise you will lose the ability to lift heavy. And note that injury avoidance is at a level of pushing yourself that a lot of people never get to.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 am

randomguy wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:09 am
Sandtrap wrote:

Good one as well!!

And if you don't lift heavy items what happens? Every year the definition of a heavy item keeps dropping until lifting grocery bags is considered a weight workout and walking on a golf course is considered aerobic exercise:). As you get older injury avoidance takes on a bigger factor (i.e. instead of pushing for that 300lb deadlift, you should call it a day at say 290 since overdoing it slightly takes a month to recover from instead of 3 days) but you want to keep lifting heavy things because otherwise you will lose the ability to lift heavy. And note that injury avoidance is at a level of pushing yourself that a lot of people never get to.
Yes. Absolutely true.
The body is a wonderful thing. Responding to meat the demands placed on it. Bones strengthen and muscles tone.
. . . but. . the hair stays white and wrinkles don't go away. . . :shock:

300 lb deadlift :shock: :shock:
Think I'd need a "John Deere" for that one.
j

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:15 am

My dad has worked out at a fitness center for last 30 years. He usually goes a couple of hours each workout with both cardio and weight machines. He works out pretty hard and uses pretty heavy weights. He occasionally supplements with walking. He is in phenomenal shape.
Last edited by JBTX on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:28 am

When staying active as an older person it is wise to assess your efforts. Are you just going through the motions? Are you just going to the gym and making believe you are working out? I ask this because so many of the old people at my gym seem to be fooling themselves. They do not seem to understand the machines. They only lift the weights an inch with short strokes, or they tend to thrust their bodies on other machines. Then they only do one set. Or they sit on stationary bikes reading books with a pedal stroke so relaxed it is only motion and not exercise.
So if you want to be injury free, you can emulate this way of working out. I reckon it is active as compared with sedentary. Just don't fool yourself that you are working out.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:33 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 am
randomguy wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:

Good one as well!!

Yes. Absolutely true.
The body is a wonderful thing. Responding to meat the demands placed on it. Bones strengthen and muscles tone.

j
Deadlifting 300lbs. is hardly some superhuman feat, my 5'8" 120lbs. wife can get pretty close and I know countless men 50+ who regularly pull quite a bit more.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:35 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:33 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:14 am
randomguy wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:

Good one as well!!

Yes. Absolutely true.

j
Deadlifting 300lbs. is hardly some superhuman feat, my 5'8" 120lbs. wife can get pretty close and I know countless men 50+ who regularly pull quite a bit more.
That is commendable!!!!
I did not know that. :D
:sharebeer

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:46 am

shell921 wrote:

1. strength
2. flexibility
3. range of motion
4. balance
I would add coordination and general kinesthetic awareness to that, but it's a good list. An ideal program would also challenge you both mentally and emotionally: I know from experience that dance does that, and I suspect that martial arts would also, and there are probably others. In addition to following a strict regimen, it's also useful to spend some time just playing around and trying things. If you watch kids learning something, they don't do it in three sets of five.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:28 am
When staying active as an older person it is wise to assess your efforts. Are you just going through the motions? Are you just going to the gym and making believe you are working out? I ask this because so many of the old people at my gym seem to be fooling themselves. They do not seem to understand the machines. They only lift the weights an inch with short strokes, or they tend to thrust their bodies on other machines. Then they only do one set. Or they sit on stationary bikes reading books with a pedal stroke so relaxed it is only motion and not exercise.
So if you want to be injury free, you can emulate this way of working out. I reckon it is active as compared with sedentary. Just don't fool yourself that you are working out.
Actually, as one ages, "going through the motions" is important, particularly if such motions enable old creaking joints to move more than one's sedentary lifestyle demands.

Of course, I understand your point that having expert advice from a personal trainer would achieve optimal impact.

On another side topic, anyone else notice that when doing weight training in gyms, that the only folks using gloves are those over 60? That is the way it is my gym. A very interesting generational difference.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:23 pm

Cruise wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:15 pm
Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:28 am
Actually, as one ages, "going through the motions" is important, particularly if such motions enable old creaking joints to move more than one's sedentary lifestyle demands.
Of course, I understand your point that having expert advice from a personal trainer would achieve optimal impact.
On another side topic, anyone else notice that when doing weight training in gyms, that the only folks using gloves are those over 60? That is the way it is my gym. A very interesting generational difference.
I think it depends on the gym.

I see many younger folks primarily using the free weights.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:24 pm

Consider living in a CCRC where they have a higher socioeconomic resident than the general population and that is reflected in their better health status.
Last edited by mickeyd on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks for the link
stoptothink wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:02 am
his is just the latest (published last week) in peer-reviewed scientific studies which provide evidence that these healthy lifestyle habits extend lifespan.
Love the discussion - .
In 2014, the life expectancy for American adults at age 50 years was 33.3 years for women and 29.8 years for men.28 We estimated that the life expectancies were 29.0 years for women and 25.5 years for men if they had zero low-risk factors but could be extended to 43.1 years for women and 37.6 years for men if they adopted all 5 low-risk factors.

An extra 12 to 14 years is nothing to sneeze at - but then you have to redo your SWR calculations... :oops:

PS - I was late to the party for starting in on a healthy lifestyle. I was referring to extending lifespan if you started at 70. Still, better late than never.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

Piper59

Post by Piper59 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 pm

#1 - 46 yrs old, I do Crossfit, Olympic Lifting, running once a week plus some body building style exercise. I think the main thing is to keep it changing and not get stuck into a routine or lose your motivation.

#2 - Isn't it ironic that from a financial perspective we gain tremendous growth from compound interest, yet when it comes to health and fitness a person has to keep at it religiously and consistently to stay the course!! Compound Interest for your body is primarily related to diet and you can wreck the whole thing so easily. I'd like to get your thoughts on this topic!

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Piper59 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:22 pm
when it comes to health and fitness a person has to keep at it religiously and consistently to stay the course!! C
As I discovered in the "fat class" [diabetes risk reduction / mitigation], the only problem with a lifestyle change is you have to do it for the rest of your life.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:00 pm

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:
Never had:
*flu shots

IMHO, these were poor choices.
IMHO, these were all good choices.
IMHO, unless these were doctor-recommended, these were a waste of time and money.
Very Stable Genius