Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
financeguy88

Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by financeguy88 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 am

I'm interested in hearing tips from bogleheads who have managed to stay active and healthy into older ages (mid 50s and older). Essentially asking what is the right balance of staying active but not pushing too much and what things help to stay injury free?

I'm only in my mid 30's now and have been very active my whole life. However I'm already getting the aches and pains and recurring use injuries, and not recovering like I used to recovery before. I mainly do a mixture of biking, running, hiking and stretching / moderate weight lifting right now. I do exert myself pretty significantly at times because I enjoy the challenge and like to see myself getting better. However I'm somewhat concerned that this might limit my longevity and ability to stay active into older age because it will wear me down.

I get that there is a big element of luck and genetics in play here -- I'm interested in hearing and tips or people speaking with experience on what they observed of others or what worked / didn't work for them to continue to stay active into older ages.

mancich

Re: Tips for staying active / injury-free into older age

Post by mancich » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:52 am

I think it is different for everyone, and each person's body is capable of handling different kinds and amounts of exercise. You may want to talk to a sports physical therapist.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:57 am

A morning abs workout while cooking breakfast is key:
viewtopic.php?p=2242092#p2242092

Otherwise walking, running, cycling at least 6 times a week unless you are out backpacking all week are helpful. So you do all that already.

A good orthopedic practice where you know all the surgeons is a plus.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:03 am

I am 68 and stay active and "try" to eat reasonably healthy.

My workout routine:

M-W-F..... 1 hour of yoga followed by 1/2 of swimming.

Tu.... noontime racquetball and golf late afternoon (spring thru fall).

Th..Sat..Sun......140 pushups: 2 sets of 30, 2 sets of 40; I may do 2 sets of 25 and 3 sets of 30; depends.

My wife and I also try to bike (about 1 hour) on a weekday morning or Sunday morning.
Sometimes we will substitute kayaking on Sunday morning.

Over the years I have had 2 rotator surgeries and one knee surgery.
A few years ago, I had a dislocated shoulder due to an incompetent chiropractor.
That was pretty darned painful to say the least.
What has really, really helped me is yoga.
For me, that was better than any physical therapy I've been to.
I highly recommend the yoga. It is good for the body and mind.

At your age, you can do a lot more than me.
Do it; work out; play sports; but treat your body good.
Eat right (when you can) and STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS and booz.
It's OK to have a beer now and then. Friday is my beer/pizza or beer/burger/fries night.

Good luck to you and keep on playing!

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:05 am

From this retiree, keep doing what you're doing. Walking, running, jogging playing sports. Keep moving, just because you're aging doesn't mean you can't be active and do the things you've always done. I play tennis with people of all ages, sure I'm a bit slower but still compete and have fun. Injuries and aches are part of life. Find activities that appeal to you and do them.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:12 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:05 am
From this retiree, keep doing what you're doing. Walking, running, jogging playing sports. Keep moving, just because you're aging doesn't mean you can't be active and do the things you've always done. I play tennis with people of all ages, sure I'm a bit slower but still compete and have fun. Injuries and aches are part of life. Find activities that appeal to you and do them.
+1

good advice.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:36 am

... "older ages (mid 50's)" - ouch.

Anyway, I'm 62 and in much better shape than when I was 50. Basically, for me it boils down to keeping consistently active and watching diet. More specifically I do 3 things nearly daily - very long walks (4 miles daily, 8-15 miles once per week), a specific set of stretches, and a light workout with hand weights. The stretches were distilled from two brief rounds of formal physical therapy - knee and back. About a dozen stretches, taking maybe 15 minutes per day. They have made a huge difference in ache/pain level and virtually eliminating the occasional back injuries I got between ages 30 and 50.

The walking thing also has been huge for me. Admittedly it's a ton of time. That time originally turned me to running, but retirement and knees have pushed me back to walking. By making it social (I've made more friends that way) and physical, I'm willing to do it. Some walks I do with human friends, some I do with my dog, some solo. And, as with running, I don't skimp on shoes.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:40 am

OP. I have lived my entire life working out one way or another. Still do. I have assorted aches and pains now and then. If you push yourself as you say, you will also. It is the nature of the game.
I was recently on a month long vacation where the only exercise I did was walking. During that time I noted that I was walking straighter, and had no aches and pains. It was real nice. I figure it was no workouts, especially with the upper body. Like I said, it was nice to have a nice posture and be free of those aches and pains.
However, it is not me. Not working out to avoid aches and pains is not me.
The tip for staying active is that aches and pains will occur, and that you must mentally be prepared for them. As you get older, and your older stated as 50+ is funny because that is well in my past, you will have an increase in risk for injury by overuse and also just a general degeneration of your physical self.
I would suggest you get used to it and continue your routine. Just back it down if injury flares up. Better to exercise than not. All the literature points that way. Older is various compromises anyway to your body, so you may as well have a reason for it than to be sedentary.

shell921

Post by shell921 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 am

I do yoga, swimming, walking and Classical Stretch.

google Miranda Esmond White. She is a 60-something former ballerina from Canada.
She is not a fan of weight lifting and she says fitness has these components:

1. strength
2. flexibility
3. range of motion
4. balance

She says flexibilty is the fountain of youth and her exercises re-balance the whole body.
Look at ballet dancer's bodies-they are strong, lean & well-defined. Her stretches are exaggerated so as to maximize
the benefits of strengthening and stretching. A program that involves continuous motion is by
definition always strengthening the muscles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCvLPr-LmSc&t=6s

"The human body is designed to remain pain-free, energetic and healthy throughout its lifespan. With Aging Backwards—gone are the days when we had to accept the negative consequences of aging as inevitable and a “normal” part of getting older. In reality, we should never have to surrender helplessly to chronic pain, hip and knee replacements, loss of energy and mobility, poor posture, weight gain—regardless of our chronological years.
Most of us are unaware that the process of aging is triggered by cell death. In Aging Backwards, Miranda explains how you can slow down and reverse the speed in which your cells die—showing scientifically, how anyone can stay feeling young and vibrant their entire life! Everyone, no matter their age—can benefit from the breakthrough knowledge and advice provided in Aging Backwards. It’s never too late to take control of your body and never let aging get in your way!"

For more information on NY Times bestseller, Aging Backwards see: http://essentrics.com/agingbackwards....

Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:09 am

Many of these kinds of threads get locked, so I'll try to jump in quickly.

Warm up first, i.e. before I start my workout I use the eliptical for 5 minutes.
Stretch before, do your workout, stretch after.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:12 am

I'm early 60's and typically spend 90-150 minutes most days on various fun (mostly) recreational exercise activities. I play multiple racquet sports 3-5 times a week (60-90 minute sessions). Also lift weights 2-3 times per week, and first thing every AM we walk 2-3 miles.
In terms of avoiding injury, we take yoga and Pilates classes 4 times a week. I'd say these classes help my wife and I stay fit and injury free due to the resulting enhanced core strength (back and abdominal) and increased flexibility.

You do have to pay close attention to your knees and shoulders as they are a major wear item so as we age we do have to tone down the pace and exertion level at times to preserve especially the knee. Good fitting high quality sports appropriate shoes are critical. A major joint tear/injury can take you out of play for months or forever.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:15 am

Not sure what kind of stretching you presently do, but I would add some sort of formal stretching and balance program to your routine, e.g., yoga, pilates, tai chi, etc. Remaining flexible is key. Most orthopedists would tell you that to avoid injury you should run less and walk more, but I know how runners are. If that's your thing, there's no stopping you. Just listen to your body and adjust as necessary.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:31 am

Retired 8 years, age 73. I have been physically active me entire life. Played baseball, softball, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf and other sports. I also jogged for 30 years which I regret because I feel this led to back and knee problems. I try to do some form of physical activity every day. It is usually a 3 mile brisk walk or eliptical/treadmill/weight machines at gym.

I think there are several keys to maintain good health and remain active: eat a healthy diet and maintain a proper weight, good cardio vascular workout several times a week, maintain strength and flexibility, and get proper rest.

I am much more injury prone now than 10 years ago as joints and tendons are easier to injure and slow to heal. I need to be more careful of over exerting myself but if I use common sense I can still enjoy an active lifestyle. I no longer have the stamina that I once had. I used to be able to work all day with yard work, remodeling, cutting trees, etc. I can still do that stuff, but have to pace myself more and spread the work out.

Yoga can be an important element for maintaining flexibility and strength. I was in a yoga class for 8 months until I injured my back. Once I recovered, I did not return to the class but still do some of the exercises at home. Our joints tend to stiff and we lose range of motion as we age. Yoga can help maintain range of motion and flexibility.

I think that a mixture of activities can be helpful to exercise different muscle groups and give variety to what you are doing. For example, I have had a mixture of swimming, bicycling, walking and gym workouts as a weekly regimen.

Find things that you like to do and commit yourself to regular workouts. I worked long hours during my career but always found time to do regular exercise, even when I was traveling. It helped with my physical condition and also reduced a lot of stress.

In reality, good health is a gift from God, but we need to do everything we can to maintain our health. I have lower back issues, a bad knee from knee surgery 38 years ago (soccer injury) and arthritic hip. I generally know my limits and if I use common sense, I am still able to enjoy an active lifestyle.

Old age is not for sissies!

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:06 am

Advice here will be all over the map. I'm mid 30s myself.

Personally, I think weight training has to be part of your regimen. It comes down to how useful you want to be in general later in life.

Running long distance is not very beneficial long term. A lot of recent research shows (that I tend to agree with), that for cardio you should either walk or sprint. Anything in between, done over a number of years, will wreak havoc on your joints

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:29 am

I'm very active and religiously have been to the gyms for decades, but I would probably have less injuries if I've been more careful. You won't be able to beat father time like many try to, but good luck.i think a lot of it is genetics.

This will probably get locked as it's a health question.
Last edited by squirm on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:35 am

Right now I'm reading a book "the barbell prescription" that was recommended on another Bogleheads thread. I recommend it.
I work out every day. I do spinning and lift weights. I am also constantly in pain. Haven't figured out how to avoid injuring myself. I do spend alot of time stretching every day. That seems to make a big difference in how i feel.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 am

As I have aged (I'm now 66), the hard physical activities that I can do comfortably have been reduced to bicycling and walking. I can no longer run or play tennis without pain.

I try to walk everywhere that doesn't require me to return with heavy bundles. Once a week, I aim for a 6-7 mile walk.

Mostly, though, I bicycle. I do this for three reasons. First, I like to ride my bike and it doesn't hurt. Second, I take long bicycle tours and I want to stay in shape good enough to ride 1000 miles in a month. Last, it soaks up a good bit of time, which as a retired guy I have plenty of.

My recommendation is to find an exercise that you enjoy doing and it easy on the body (swimming, bicycle riding, and walking come to mind) and figure that will be the one that you continue as the other, more rigorous one, become untenable.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

TTBG

Post by TTBG » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:09 am

As others have mentioned, walking, swimming, yoga or some other kind of stretching.

And also - be sure to get enough sleep. Accept the fact that your body needs more recovery time as you age.

financeguy88

Post by financeguy88 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:23 am

Op here, wow this is a lot of great responses.

To be clear I wasn’t saying mid-50s was “old.” I picked that somewhat arbitrarily because I read that this is the age where even very dedicated runners can’t keep it up without lots of injuries.

I myself used to just run but I only do light jogs one or two times a week now and have substituted it with biking and spinning because I was getting too many nagging injuries running even after trying PT and many other things.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:36 am

I am 85 and am about as active as at 50 (but not 30). I walk a lot, walking from 3 to 6 miles almost every day. I do 98% of my house, lawn and garden maintenance....I stopped climbing on my roof, though, at 80...felt I should not tempt fate any more.
Not only is being active at home, walking, climbing stairs, and volunteering good for your body. but mental health as well.

edit to comment about running in older age. Be careful with that, I ran a mini marathon at 75 (not fast, but I completed my 13 miles) No more. That screwed up the veins in my legs which required vein surgeries. I was not smart in wanting to do that with minimal training. (legs are okay now for walking as long as I continue to wear support stockings)
Last edited by Sheepdog on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:41 am

Yoga, swimming laps, and walking. Yoga is my favorite, I get a good sweat going but the calming of the mind is what does it for me. 52 next month

arf30

Post by arf30 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:57 am

Would add some form of mild strength training to the other recommendations - bodyweight exercises or freeweights.

Beehave

Post by Beehave » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:02 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:57 am
A morning abs workout while cooking breakfast is key:
viewtopic.php?p=2242092#p2242092

Otherwise walking, running, cycling at least 6 times a week unless you are out backpacking all week are helpful. So you do all that already.

A good orthopedic practice where you know all the surgeons is a plus.
Exactly correct! Do abs/core work before breakfast on an empty stomach. Look up the typical exercises recommended for recovering from and preventing backache on the internet. Do them daily. Add some planks and some yoga. Get a comfortable mat. Get comfortable, loose exercise togs. No abrupt, jerky, jarring movements. Make sure your exercises cover opposing muscles - - you should be like a chicken roasting on a spit - - sometimes front-down. Sometimes back-down. Sometimes each side down while you are holding a pose, lifting something, or stretching something.

That way you maintain strength and flexibility. And because your stomach is empty, you do not have food inside your stomach pushing out on the sphincters at each end of your stomach. Watch/listen to the business news or listen to music you like while you exercise - - preferably at least one-half hour. Then eat a wonderful, healthy breakfast. By then you've already had a great day! And hopefully, no need ever for orthopedic surgeons.

Best wishes.
P.S. HAVE AN EMPTY STOMACH WHILE DOING YOUR CORE EXERCISES (take it from someone who learned the hard way)!!!!!

Glasgow

Post by Glasgow » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Question for those above 50s and jogged when you were young:
In retrospect, would you recommend jogging it? If you did, how has it affected your back, knees and joints?

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Exercise (cardio, muscle training — light weights and machines) and watching CALORIE INTAKE.

Because you can work out like a maniac and still be overweight. I have a friend who trains for and runs marathons and yet has a weight problem because he tends to eat everything in sight when he sits down for a meal.

He complains about the extra pounds and big gut and I tell him “watch your portions”. At which point he looks at me as if I’m a two-headed space alien.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:14 pm

One thing I still do at age 68 is cut and split tons of firewood each year for both my house and the girlfriend's house.
This involves dropping entire oak trees on a ten acre lot, dragging them out with a pickup, steel cable, chains and/or ropes.

Then the tree is cut into 20", 40", or 60" lengths (depending on diameter and weight), loaded into the truck, and driven to the log yard to be split.
Splitting is done manually with a splitting maul, or in tough cases, with wedges and a sledgehammer.
Smaller diameter wood is just sawn to length, not split.

The wood is then stacked, either on pallets or in the woodshed.
I've been doing this to some degree since the 1980s and have gotten reasonably proficient at doing it safely.

I won't say this is a complete solution to fitness, of course. One needs some walking, hiking, biking, or maybe running to keep the old legs in shape, too...
Attempted new signature...

rich126

Post by rich126 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Trying to avoid injuries, especially to legs I think is important. I often see people with various injuries which limits exercise and that triggers weight gain which leads to more problems and a nasty cycle. I messed up my ankle years ago and things never healed right and surgery may not improve things so I definitely avoid running. I walk some but longer distances when I travel definitely hurts. I’ve found the recumbent bikes are easy on my body.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:35 pm

My goal (early 70's) is to go to the gym almost every day - and do 30-45 minutes aerobic exercise (brisk walking, stationary bike, rowing machine, elliptical, treadmill, etc.) and strength/weights 2-3 times a week (not two consecutive days).

If anything hurts, I stop doing it. There are so many different choices - I can always do something else.

Some such folks like exercise classes - BUT not for me.

Some folks do spinning - and some others like Pickleball - neither for me

Maintaining a healthful body weight, in my opinion, is very important - BMI under 25 for most folks.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:41 pm

shell921 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 am
google Miranda Esmond White. She is a 60-something former ballerina from Canada.
She is not a fan of weight lifting and she says fitness has these components:

1. strength
2. flexibility
3. range of motion
4. balance
These are also key in martial arts. I still remember in my Black Belt test, where one exercise was to stand on one foot......for 30 minutes. Balance. Although I stopped formally training long ago, I can balance on one foot longer than my kids' when they challenge me. I'm also 60-something.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Glasgow wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:37 pm
Question for those above 50s and jogged when you were young:
In retrospect, would you recommend jogging it? If you did, how has it affected your back, knees and joints?
I started running in my 40's, did lots of cycling before and since. My back, knees, and joints are in good shape, but I had a running injury related to ligaments in my ankle which required surgery at age 60. I'm as good as new and back to regular high activity levels including running, cycling, and hiking with 20 to 35 pound backpack.

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:32 pm

As is typical when physical activity and fitness are discussed by Bogleheads, you'll find a wide variety of how we stay in good physical condition. But the one constant (at least among those who respond), is that we do something.

Like many others, I've been active most of my life. I realized early on, however, that running/jogging was not a particularly good idea for me because my knees and back started complaining.

At one point I lifted weights, most recently dumbbell exercises, but I gave that up.

Now I only do bodyweight exercises, 3x a week: Pull-ups, Pushups, Squats, and Planks. That's it, other than walking 3 miles several times a week. These activities cover the major bases: upper body, legs, core, cardio.

I'm currently 71, and completed a 2,600-mile coast-to-coast walk one month ago. I felt comfortable attempting this because I am in generally good physical shape. (And yes, I visited my physician before I started.)

After over 5 months without doing any upper-body workouts, I was able to slide right back (slowly) into my regular routine, and found that even in that length of time I did not lose much upper-body strength.

You're asking the right questions. Take care of yourself, protect your body, continue to be active, and someday you'll be an old Boglehead just like us!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Use it or lose it!!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:44 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:32 pm
I'm currently 71, and completed a 2,600-mile coast-to-coast walk one month ago.
Impressive! And nice to read this. My hat (and shoes!) are off to you!

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:58 pm

I’ve been active most of my life. At 60, I do mostly the same things but take it a little easier and listen to my body. I have added more stretching and body weight exercises since my younger days.

As you get older, I would strongly advise any hard core exerciser (heavy weights, CrossFit, extreme sports) to take care of your joints. Tendons and ligaments are easy to damage and can take months—or even years—to heal. If you really mess up a joint, it’s surgery and lots of physical therapy and you may possibly never regain full use of it. It’s instructive to me that all the healthy people that I know who are in their 80s and 90s have never been hardcore exercisers. They do things like walking, gardening, and maybe some easy yoga or something. They stay active and keep their weight low. I don’t know any obese people who have a healthy old age.

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Full body resistance training two sixty minute sessions weekly with trainer including some HIIT
Pilates session weekly.
Three-four runs per week averaging ~ thirty minutes.

Mid fourties trying to maintain overall health.

Periodically I’ve been having vo2max and ventilatory threshold testing most recently performed at nearby local university which is benchmarked against published normative data. It’s been intellectually engaging to monitor and attempt to improve these numbers.

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:12 pm

Blue wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 pm
Full body resistance training two sixty minute sessions weekly with trainer including some HIIT
Pilates session weekly.
Three-four runs per week averaging ~ thirty minutes.

Mid fourties trying to maintain overall health.

Periodically I’ve been having vo2max and ventilatory threshold testing most recently performed at nearby local university which is benchmarked against published normative data. It’s been intellectually engaging to monitor and attempt to improve these numbers.
Couple additional thoughts. Two episodes aches/pains almost detracted my activity over past years but saw a nearby sports medicine MD whom we respect and a few sesssions of physical therapy corrected. I also believe the liberal use of trainers improved my compliance and reduced my injury rate.

I aim for goal of 300 minutes /week activity but with busy weeks sometimes only getting 150 minutes of exercise completed per week. Last time I looked at the data I recall thinking this was the “sweet spot” of maximizing return relative to time investment.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:14 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:44 pm
Jazztonight wrote:
I missed Jazztonight's post. This is indeed impressive. Fantastic!!
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Raybo wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 am
As I have aged (I'm now 66), ....
I have met Raybo and spent a delightful afternoon/evening with him. He looks only about 40 years old, so whatever he's doing is like a Fountain of Youth!

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:14 pm
livesoft wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:44 pm
Jazztonight wrote:
I missed Jazztonight's post. This is indeed impressive. Fantastic!!
Here it is (Walking Coast-to-Coast):
viewtopic.php?t=253218
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

cfs

Post by cfs » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:34 pm

I am back from my LUng Distance workout by the beach area. My mantra, stay mentally and physically active in retirement. After retiring I did my last 26.2 mile competition (running) and shifted from doing my daily LUng Distance Runs to doing my daily LUng Distance Walks. I do not have a time limit and I am no longer in a hurry, during my workouts I stop to have a conversation with somebody, anybody, or everybody about anything and about everything (this is making a big difference in my retirement life, this is keeping me injury-free which is the subject of this thread). I do all my walks with a backpack and a wooden pole (this helps to keep my knees injury-free), I carry the same things I carry on my camino. At anytime I can drive to the airport, take a flight to somewhere in Europe and start walking for weeks or months. Praise the Lord, active life is good, retirement life is wonderful. Good luck, y gracias por leer ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:38 pm

I am 52 and have pondered this question. The short answer, I think, is that everything matters and you need to care of yourself. I certainly think it is a combination of many things as others have mentioned: exercise, stretching, nutrition, sleep, low stress levels. Each of these items comes in many forms. I love to play sports and do activities - tennis, basketball, biking, kayaking, rollerblading, working out. I love to eat a variety of healthy food but not try to limit myself on portions. My goal has always been optimal health. So going to the gym did not mean to me big muscles or fat loss, but rather what kind of routine would allow me to be active for as long as possible. For example, every day before work I have been going to the gym and lift some weights. I do about a half hour and target a different area of my body each time. I always felt a little bit every day was important (I usually take weekends off from weights) but not too much that I wouldn't keep going. I also favored higher reps over heavier weights. I vary my workouts a bit too. Also do some yoga/stretching.

Starting in my late 40s I started to get a bit achy after activities and sometimes when I wake up after going hard the day before. I never had a major injury but certainly my share of minor ones (tennis elbow, sprained ankle, etc). The part I wrestle with now is how do you know if a pain is a real injury or not. If I walk onto the tennis court and my calf starts to hurt, should I keep going? Usually the pain will go away after warming up a bit. But then I usually feel it later on. Should I alter how I play for longevity? I notice when I cut hard or run as hard as I can after a ball I sometimes feel it. Should I do those things less often? I intend to play/be active as long as I can (hopefully till I die). However, I do think I will be making some modifications along the way. I also plan to continue to pay attention to every thing that supports that lifestyle.
Mark

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:45 pm

I would also suggest making 100% sure that no medical or health risks or issues cause harm by exercise. This is where good communication and relationships with appropriate Physicians are important.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:59 pm

DetroitRick wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:36 am
... "older ages (mid 50's)" - ouch.

The walking thing also has been huge for me. Admittedly it's a ton of time. That time originally turned me to running, but retirement and knees have pushed me back to walking. And, as with running, I don't skimp on shoes.
I like DetroitRick's advice.

My father died of heart disease before he was 60, and I was determined to do what I could to not have that fate befall me. In the month that I turned 40, I began walking almost every morning starting about 5am. 3-5 miles per day, with my dog, outside in all kinds of weather. Not only did I feel physically better for the walking, but it gave me all kinds of time to think about things and appreciate the beauty and wonder of the world.

About 8 years ago, I switched over to treadmill at a 24-hour gym near me. Arrive about 5am and do 4 miles of brisk walking on the treadmill. Being inside and away from traffic allows me to listen to podcasts (about 30 are in my rotation now), with a lot of good financial information every morning.

Now I'm in my mid-60s, and feel great. I haven't been sick with even a cold for more than two years, and my resting heart rate is in the low 40s.

Walking is the BEST exercise. It puts less stress on your knees than running, and the health benefits of walking every day are very solid.

Last piece of advice - don't skimp on shoes. I did one time, developed some awful blisters, and never will skimp again.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:31 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:31 am
Retired 8 years, age 73. I have been physically active me entire life. Played baseball, softball, basketball, soccer, tennis, golf and other sports. I also jogged for 30 years which I regret because I feel this led to back and knee problems. I try to do some form of physical activity every day. It is usually a 3 mile brisk walk or eliptical/treadmill/weight machines at gym.

I think there are several keys to maintain good health and remain active: eat a healthy diet and maintain a proper weight, good cardio vascular workout several times a week, maintain strength and flexibility, and get proper rest.

I am much more injury prone now than 10 years ago as joints and tendons are easier to injure and slow to heal. I need to be more careful of over exerting myself but if I use common sense I can still enjoy an active lifestyle. I no longer have the stamina that I once had. I used to be able to work all day with yard work, remodeling, cutting trees, etc. I can still do that stuff, but have to pace myself more and spread the work out.

Yoga can be an important element for maintaining flexibility and strength. I was in a yoga class for 8 months until I injured my back. Once I recovered, I did not return to the class but still do some of the exercises at home. Our joints tend to stiff and we lose range of motion as we age. Yoga can help maintain range of motion and flexibility.

I think that a mixture of activities can be helpful to exercise different muscle groups and give variety to what you are doing. For example, I have had a mixture of swimming, bicycling, walking and gym workouts as a weekly regimen.

Find things that you like to do and commit yourself to regular workouts. I worked long hours during my career but always found time to do regular exercise, even when I was traveling. It helped with my physical condition and also reduced a lot of stress.

In reality, good health is a gift from God, but we need to do everything we can to maintain our health. I have lower back issues, a bad knee from knee surgery 38 years ago (soccer injury) and arthritic hip. I generally know my limits and if I use common sense, I am still able to enjoy an active lifestyle.

Old age is not for sissies!
Well said.!!
1. All things in moderation.
2. Stay out of the O.R. if possible.
3. Keep moving. . but rest. . .
j

hilink73

Post by hilink73 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:33 pm

financeguy88 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:47 am
I'm interested in hearing tips from bogleheads who have managed to stay active and healthy into older ages (mid 50s and older). Essentially asking what is the right balance of staying active but not pushing too much and what things help to stay injury free?

I'm only in my mid 30's now and have been very active my whole life. However I'm already getting the aches and pains and recurring use injuries, and not recovering like I used to recovery before. I mainly do a mixture of biking, running, hiking and stretching / moderate weight lifting right now. I do exert myself pretty significantly at times because I enjoy the challenge and like to see myself getting better. However I'm somewhat concerned that this might limit my longevity and ability to stay active into older age because it will wear me down.

I get that there is a big element of luck and genetics in play here -- I'm interested in hearing and tips or people speaking with experience on what they observed of others or what worked / didn't work for them to continue to stay active into older ages.
Maintaining, building muscle is much more important than cardio...

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:17 pm

IMO, your nutrition is equally if not more important than activity level.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:18 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:17 pm
IMO, your nutrition is equally if not more important than activity level.
Yes - I also moved to Whole Food Plant Based .. Not 100% but a lot ..

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:19 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:16 pm
Raybo wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:56 am
As I have aged (I'm now 66), ....
I have met Raybo and spent a delightful afternoon/evening with him. He looks only about 40 years old, so whatever he's doing is like a Fountain of Youth!
Livesoft, thank you for the exaggeration!

I’m blushing!
Last edited by Raybo on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:20 pm

Maintaining, building muscle is much more important than cardio...
Opinions differ ... both are important, IMO, but if doing cardio prevents your death from a heart attack --

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Swimming, yoga, pilates, rowing machine, treadmill, strength training machines are what I do - age mid seventies. My health club is very social and I make a lot of friends there. Free coffee and bagel each morning.

I haven't been to my health club for two months as I had minor surgery and now I'm redoing my back and front yard. I planted a lot of little trees, hydrangeas, etc. etc. (spent too much money!) My shoulders and upper arms have become far more muscular. I've found a "girls" bag of soil - about .75 cubic ft (easy for me to lift). I complain to the guys who held me load this stuff that there is no "girls" bag of mulch. So I slide if from my CUV into my wheel barrow. I'm done for this year - just have to water.