Suggest an electric car: Volt? Alternative?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
arsenalfan

Suggest an electric car: Volt? Alternative?

Post by arsenalfan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:16 pm

2008 GTI has an oil gasket leak in timing chain cover, mechanic says could be up to $1500 to fix depending on labor/what's under the cover. Apparently laborious. Car worth about $7k, so no.

Use: commuter car only, 25 miles round trip M-F. Minimal weekend use. Maybe will be passed onto kids in 5 years, maybe, so gas engine may be warranted.
Budget: $25-30k only. No Tesla suggestions please.

Options:
1. Just ride the GTI out. Slow leak, until catastrophic. Mechanic said would likely be fine for 2-4 more years.
2. 2018 Volt Premier: $33k internet out the door - $7500 fed credit - $3k state credit = $23k total. Been eyeing this car for a long time.

Love feedback and options. eGolf, Leaf, plug in prius don't look as fun to drive (I'm not SpeedRacer, but I am coming from a GTI). Thanks!
Last edited by arsenalfan on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pajamas

Re: Suggest an electric car: Volt? Alternative?

Post by Pajamas » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Yes, buy the car you've had your eye on. The time is right.

You should be able to get a few thousand for the GTI, too.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:27 pm

How many miles on your GTI? I just did a timing belt/seals/water pump on my 97 Camry (worth a lot less than 7K) with 138K miles for around $650. Am original owner and other than a minor oil drip in cold weather, this car has been rock solid. Did you get quotes from other mechanics?
Wiki

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Gti has 60k miles after 10 years. This is a good mechanic I trust, pretty inexpensive but certified and professional. Not dealer but also not a Sunday mechanic.

Maybe I should get another opinion though. Thanks

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:41 pm

Wait till fall when the 19's are about to hit. VW gives tons of money to dealers then to dump current inventory. I've watched Jettas and GTis at my local dealer for years. For what I was looking for....base GTi....I'd see $6k off. So many, many (over 20) being offered right at about $20k. Jettas for $12k.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:02 pm

arsenalfan wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:16 pm
Options:
1. Just ride the GTI out. Slow leak, until catastrophic. Mechanic said would likely be fine for 2-4 more years.
Option 1 - Ride it out, but consider getting it fixed if it has been reliable.

You can make a lot of repairs for 23K and keep that GTI on the road for a LONG time.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:10 pm

I would fix the GTI.

$7k (seems a bit low with 60k miles) assumes no major issues. So make that $5k in trade. So, you just spent more than $1,500.

I like the Volt. In my area there is a 2018 with 4k miles for $25,000. Cargurus has it at $7,500 under book value. Has me tempted a bit. Maybe just not selling?

There are some other interesting hybrids. Hyundai Ioniq, Kia Niro and Lexus CT200h. I have been looking hard at a CT200h F sport with 19k miles. 43 city/40 highway in theory.

The new Prius Prime Plug In are nice, but there seems to be few around and there are no discounts.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:17 pm

arsenalfan wrote:
2008 GTI has an oil gasket leak in timing chain cover, mechanic says could be up to $1500 to fix depending on labor/what's under the cover. Apparently laborious. Car worth about $7k, so no.

Use: commuter car only, 25 miles round trip M-F. Minimal weekend use. Maybe will be passed onto kids in 5 years, maybe, so gas engine may be warranted.

Options:
2. 2018 Volt Premier: $33k internet out the door - $7500 fed credit - $3k state credit = $23k total. Been eyeing this car for a long time.

Love feedback and options. eGolf, Leaf, plug in prius don't look as fun to drive (I'm not SpeedRacer, but I am coming from a GTI). Thanks!
What do you need the car to do?

I bought a used BMW i3 for peanuts... and use it to commute. Leaf's go for nothing.

If it's your only car though, I would not recommend either of those.

financeperchance

Post by financeperchance » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:42 pm

For something that is purely a commuter car, 25 miles round trip, get a Leaf. It's typically only around $10,000 used.

You'll love it. Zero maintenance (no oil or timing chains!) and no more having to go to the gas station. You just go from your garage to your work and back.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:50 pm

arsenalfan wrote:
The repair quote seems high. This is a common problem on GTIs and looking at the forums people generally pay around $600 to get it fixed at the dealer. Maybe in this specific case VW dealers do so many that they know exactly what to do and will bill you fewer hours vs an independent mechanic, albeit at a higher rate. So... I would get a quote from a dealer.

Charon

Post by Charon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:11 pm

financeperchance wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:42 pm
For something that is purely a commuter car, 25 miles round trip, get a [used] Leaf.
I would definitely go this route. No point getting a new Volt for a commuter car. The advantage of the Volt is that it's battery for short trips but it can go much farther than any battery EV these days - an advantage that would be entirely lost on you.

I also don't think it's a great time to invest a lot in BEV or especially hybrid cars, when the change of pace is so fast. Since you do need a car now, buying a used Leaf sounds great. (Another option would be leasing a Bolt, but you'd have to see if this made financial sense for you.)

Edit: you say the Leaf doesn't look fun to drive... but have you tried it? (And how much fun do you need on a daily commute :wink: ) And if it doesn't suit your fancy and you want to own, why not buy a Bolt? With the tax credits, it's within your price range. The Bolt is what the Volt wanted to be, so I'm not sure why you're considering a Volt... The Bolt has a faster 0-60 than the Volt, if that matters to you.

Quaestner

Post by Quaestner » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Consider test driving the Prius Prime. It will let you do your commute completely on electric power (I'm getting over 30 miles per charge). In city driving the electric motor has good acceleration - nothing special, but adequate?

Pros: Toyota reliability, great gas milage (50+ MPG, 133 MPGe), 640 mile driving range, Toyota Safety Sense package, hatchback with folding seats, $4502 tax credit (made it cheaper than a regular Prius for me), quiet driving experience with electric motor

Cons: Seats 4 max, low ground clearance, cornering, no spare (sealant kit), no rear wiper, I'm not crazy in love with the display, CVT transmission a bit whiney with gas motor used, about 6 hours to charge (standard 120 volt outlet - half that time if you have a 240 outlet)

Vaporvalley

Post by Vaporvalley » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:29 pm

I love my 17 Volt. I drive about 20 miles per day. Rarely use any gasoline. Regular plug every night. The only downside is that the backseat is very small. If you need to put adults or older kids in the backseat make sure everyone will fit before you buy.

GRAZ

Post by GRAZ » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Have you looked into the Fiat 500e? They are all electric and are only available to purchase new in California and Oregon (I believe). They have been out since 2013 or so and are available on the used market for $8k or so with roughly 30k miles. I've never been in one personally, but they have more style that a typical cheap electric car and are reportedly fun to drive. The biggest drawback to them is that the all electric range is around 80 miles, but this sounds like it will fit your needs well.

Bammerman

Post by Bammerman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:11 pm

I am very happy with my 2013 Volt, and would recommend that you consider a used Volt for your commuting purpose. With a Generation 1 Volt (such as mine) a 25 mile round trip commute would be no problem. Even in the middle of winter, I get at least 33 miles out of my Volt's battery (batteries don't like winter as much as they do summer). The Volt is a solid, easy-driving, powerful car.

While I have no personal experience with the Leaf, it also sounds ideal for your purpose.

I meant to also suggest that you also review Volt-owner comments on the forum, https://gm-volt.com/forum/forumdisplay. ... ners-Forum. Presumably, Leaf owners have a similar forum. It's very helpful to see what real owners have to say about their cars.

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:21 pm

clutchied wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:17 pm
arsenalfan wrote:

Options:

I bought a used BMW i3 for peanuts... and use it to commute. Leaf's go for nothing.

How much for BMW i3 and with range extender or not?

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:29 pm

I love my Fiat 500e. 90 mile range. Drives great. Front seats are very comfortable. Back two seats aren't as bad as you might think, especially since with the 90-mile range this car isn't going on long trips. Easily fold down the back seats and my wife and I can get back from Costco with $300 worth of stuff back there. Not sure how many years the batteries in these things last. Used ones can be purchased very cheaply.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:32 pm

arsenalfan wrote:

Options:

The Volt is a good choice. The $7500 federal tax credit is likely going to start to be phased out for GM in early 2019, so I'd pull the trigger before too long. The '19 Volt will get a 7.2kW charger, which will cut charging time in half if you have L2 charging. But if that doesn't matter to you, you should be able to get a good deal on the '18.

You should look at a used eGolf, too. That's the closest thing to your GTI and probably drives better than anything else you listed. It's not fast, but it probably has the best chassis/suspension of any PHEV/EV this side of a Tesla. The '15 and '16 models only had about 80 miles of range, so all the used ones have pretty low mileage. I would normally avoid VWs because of reliability but since it's a pure EV it's actually a less complicated car and thus likely reliable. And the eGolf is the only Golf sold in the U.S. that's made in Germany - even the current GTI is made in Mexico.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm

I am in a similar position...

My current ride is a 2009 Jetta (Golf) Sportwagen a rare bird in the US as it has the 2.0 TSFI engine like the GTI and a 6 speed.
Great car just back from a 500-mile round trip with wife, son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter, average 33MPG (on premium) and lots of baby accessories. But it si getting long in the tooth, right now needs about $1000 of suspension work, including shocks, and I am itching to move one.

Maybe a Bolt, couldn't do the aforementioned trip, maybe a Tesla 3, or maybe another Sportwagen, they are coming up pretty cheap and with the new 6-year warranty might fit the bill.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Operon

Post by Operon » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:26 pm

I totally love my Prius Prime. I pick cars based on how unexciting they are - good value, reliable, safe - so I wouldn't be surprised if my loving it means that you'd hate it if you're an actual car enthusiast, though. You've also got to be okay with four seats rather than five and less trunk space than others, those are the two stand out possible negatives. I got the cheapest one (~$27k sticker before the various rebates and incentives which collectively brought the price in line with a typical sedan) and have zero regrets. I get a bit above 30 miles on a charge during warmer weather months, 25 in the New England winter. Easy to program in what time you leave in the morning and it charges overnight. I also have a 12-hour-straight drive a few times a year, it takes one tank of gas. The record with the Priuses also strongly suggests that it will be more reliable and require fewer repairs over its lifetime than a number of comparable vehicles. I've spent a year recommending my car to everyone.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:19 am

Test drive the new Leaf before you condemn it as "not fun to drive"

Voltron

Post by Voltron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:05 am

Coming from your GTI, I see where you are coming from. I had a Jetta GLI to currently an Audi Q5 that lease is up and in same position need to choose. Agree, looking for somewhat fun car to drive. Few thoughts...

Practically speaking, given the relatively little amount of miles you drive a day, you might get more bang for your buck looking for a second opinion and repairing that GTI, and getting much more mileage out of it. 60K is quite young to give up on most cars.

However, the incentives especially that you qualify for state incentives for the Chevy Volt is intriguing. Selling your GTI will help. I just sold an extra car; 93K miles 2010 Honda Fit Sport to CarMax for $5,000. I think your GTI will fetch more.

Nissan Leaf. Ok so the 2019 model will have longer range and be competitive with the Chevy Bolt in that and performance just FYI. Expect a Sport model called Nismo Leaf to come out soon for fun fine tuning.

Prius prime is practical. I test drove it twice but definitely not as fun as Chevy Volt.

I’ve seen a few BMW i3 range extenders on CarMax. Maybe less than 18K for a 2014. 70 mile electric range is intriguing but just remember the gas tank of the range extender only holds 2 gallons. It’s tough for long range drives that are 500 miles but for your commuter purposes it might just be good.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:19 am

arsenalfan wrote:

Options:

10 year old VW Golf is just going to give you pain from now on.

This is a commuter car not a fun car. If you like the ride and comfort of the Volt, you should go with that.

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:32 am

Thanks for all the perspectives.

Option 1 no longer an option. My GTI problem is a known problem. It’s a known problem (leaking oil timing chain cover) and anecdotes have the engine seizing on the highway, so not an option to just let it ride unrepaired.

Going to test drive volt and leaf

If not in love will repair GTI (fingers crossed a cascade of $500-1k repairs don’t ensue!)

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:24 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:19 am
Test drive the new Leaf before you condemn it as "not fun to drive"
Will do. Have heard from multiple car enthusiast friends that Leaf 2 is a new breed.

HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:27 am

arsenalfan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:32 am

If not in love will repair GTI (fingers crossed a cascade of $500-1k repairs don’t ensue!) It’s a known problem (leaking oil tensioner cover) and anecdotes have the engine seizing on the highway, so not an option to just let it ride unrepaired.
With only 60K on the dial I would repair the GTI. Since a Tesla is not in the cards right now I would wait a bit longer to see more EV offerings while using the GTI. I bought a Model 3 and sold my A4 after 12 years and 120K miles because it was getting older and needed repairs that were going to cost almost 50% of its private sale value. It sounds like your GTI is reliable....stick with it.

wander

Post by wander » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:29 am

arsenalfan wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:36 pm
Gti has 60k miles after 10 years. This is a good mechanic I trust, pretty inexpensive but certified and professional. Not dealer but also not a Sunday mechanic.

Maybe I should get another opinion though. Thanks
I would get a second opinion and would continue to drive it unless too much oil leaking. But frankly, I will try to fix it with reasonable price. I think $1500 seems too much.

HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:40 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm
I am in a similar position...

My current ride is a 2009 Jetta (Golf) Sportwagen a rare bird in the US as it has the 2.0 TSFI engine like the GTI and a 6 speed.
Great car just back from a 500-mile round trip with wife, son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter, average 33MPG (on premium) and lots of baby accessories. But it si getting long in the tooth, right now needs about $1000 of suspension work, including shocks, and I am itching to move one.

Maybe a Bolt, couldn't do the aforementioned trip, maybe a Tesla 3, or maybe another Sportwagen, they are coming up pretty cheap and with the new 6-year warranty might fit the bill.
“Maybe” does not apply to the Model 3 long range. I’ve owned mine for about 6-8 weeks now and have done 2 540 mile round trips in it with a third coming up this weekend. The range is 310 miles and one way my trip was 270 miles. Technically, the car could go all the way. That said, I would never cut it that close since I would want extra miles for driving around my destination. More importantly, my bladder can’t make it 270 miles nonstop. During each leg of the trips we stopped 1x to go to the restroom and in one case we also bought a coffee and in another we had lunch. The car added many more miles than needed while plugged in as we handled our other needs. For a long trip I think the back seat has room for two large people and three kids (under 12) and plenty of storage. The car is awesome but is a luxury good.

just frank

Post by just frank » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:53 am

Just get a used LEAF. Plenty fun to drive (excellent 0-30 times, no throttle lag === fun)

Cheap and perfect for your use case, and a great teen car for later.

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:34 am

HopeToGolf wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:27 am
arsenalfan wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:32 am

If not in love will repair GTI (fingers crossed a cascade of $500-1k repairs don’t ensue!) It’s a known problem (leaking oil tensioner cover) and anecdotes have the engine seizing on the highway, so not an option to just let it ride unrepaired.
With only 60K on the dial I would repair the GTI. Since a Tesla is not in the cards right now I would wait a bit longer to see more EV offerings while using the GTI. I bought a Model 3 and sold my A4 after 12 years and 120K miles because it was getting older and needed repairs that were going to cost almost 50% of its private sale value. It sounds like your GTI is reliable....stick with it.

I’m going this route. $1400 for repair.
(In so doing Murphy’s law says I will be due for a bunch of $1000 repairs thereafter lol).
Hope to get 3-5 more years out of this GTI, then our car needs may be dramatically different, and our cars will be all >15 years old and ready for upgrades.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 pm

arsenalfan wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:21 pm
clutchied wrote:
arsenalfan wrote:

Options:

$17k for a '14 w/ 16k miles no Rex

I would not buy the '14 with a range extender they are a nightmare.

the '16 has a bigger battery

hightower

Post by hightower » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:46 pm

arsenalfan wrote:

Options:

I drive a BMW i3 non-rex (rex is silly in my opinion) and can't say enough good about it. Absolutely love this car. And if you want something that's also a ton of fun to drive, it's a good one to consider. The new 2018 i3s is slightly faster and looks a little better than the older model like I have. Otherwise, why a Volt if you drive so little? Get yourself a Bolt instead, if you're going for a Chevy. You'll only need to charge it once every 1-2 weeks at most. My brother in law has a Volt and likes it, but complains that he wishes he didn't have to charge it every day.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm guessing the $1500 includes a timing belt service since things are being opened up anyway for a gasket. If that's true, you should be able to get this done for under $1k easily at any non-dealer. A major service is not a good reason to get rid of a car.

Unless I'm mistaken, the 2008 GTI does not have a timing chain. If the mechanic called it a timing chain cover, that's a red flag. :-) Maybe a cam seal leaking oil into the area? Those are usually included in a timing belt service anyway. Seems like it's time for a second opinion pronto, unless you just want a different car.

Update:

Looks like I was wrong, and your mechanic is right. Some late 2008's had the chain driven TSI engine. Volkswagen is weird.

http://blog.moddedeuros.com/tsi-vs-fsi
Last edited by ClevrChico on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:58 pm

Called to verify. The $1500 is basically replacing everything timing chain related: chain, tensioner, guides, cover/gasket.

Mechanic said do it if you want to keep car for another 70-100k miles (which for me would be like 7-10 years of use). He said don't do it if you want to buy a new car in the next 3-5 years.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:13 pm

The 2008 GTI almost certainly has a timing belt. The TSFI engine, with its timing chain, did not come until the 2009 model, of course you may have a rare bird.

The usual specs for the 2008 GTI include a timing belt from the crank pulley to the camshaft and a chain from one cam to the other. It is the belt that is the usual wear item.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

david99

Post by david99 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:33 pm

Quaestner wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:28 pm
Consider test driving the Prius Prime. It will let you do your commute completely on electric power (I'm getting over 30 miles per charge). In city driving the electric motor has good acceleration - nothing special, but adequate?

Pros: Toyota reliability, great gas milage (50+ MPG, 133 MPGe), 640 mile driving range, Toyota Safety Sense package, hatchback with folding seats, $4502 tax credit (made it cheaper than a regular Prius for me), quiet driving experience with electric motor

Cons: Seats 4 max, low ground clearance, cornering, no spare (sealant kit), no rear wiper, I'm not crazy in love with the display, CVT transmission a bit whiney with gas motor used, about 6 hours to charge (standard 120 volt outlet - half that time if you have a 240 outlet)
I also have a Prius Prime and I agree with this description. I have been happy with the car but only had it for five months.

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:47 pm

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:13 pm
The 2008 GTI almost certainly has a timing belt. The TSFI engine, with its timing chain, did not come until the 2009 model, of course you may have a rare bird.

The usual specs for the 2008 GTI include a timing belt from the crank pulley to the camshaft and a chain from one cam to the other. It is the belt that is the usual wear item.
Looked at records. I have a 2009.

And to think all these years she told me she was a 2008.

Leif

Post by Leif » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:52 pm

I'm not really a fan of hybrids since you get all the maintenance headaches. Below is a link to a video of low cost EVs. If you are in a cooler part of the country then a Leaf may be a good choice. I understand with new/improved models that came out recently and a new model soon, a used car can be purchased at a good price.

Eight Electric Cars You Can Buy Used Without Breaking The Bank

Voltron

Post by Voltron » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:20 pm

clutchied wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 pm
arsenalfan wrote:
clutchied wrote:
arsenalfan wrote:

Options:

Curious, how is the range extender a nightmare on this year, or in general? Curious myself, and to help OP narrow his selection criteria.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:53 am

A cam chain "should" never need replacement, according to VW :shock:

On my 2009 TSFI Jetta a weakness identified by many is the cam tensioner, be sure that if you do the repair that it is not that part that is giving you grief. It depends on oil pressure and is a known problem on these engines.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:02 am

Voltron wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:20 pm
clutchied wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 pm
arsenalfan wrote:
clutchied wrote:
arsenalfan wrote:

Options:

Curious, how is the range extender a nightmare on this year, or in general? Curious myself, and to help OP narrow his selection criteria.
There's just a lot of maintenance issues with it. Most people suggest a '16 or newer for the Rex. '14 was the first year they implemented it and generally it's agreed that the first year has a lot of problems. When it functions it's great.

Lot's of driveline power failures and issues. Basically it's a small motorcycle engine with little usage which leads to some disuse issues.

I think the idea in general is great as it helps transition people to electric but at the same time it's problematic.

I have a '14 but it's the battery only (BEV). It's a great car with a fantastic interior. The seats are not quite what I'm used to from BMW but they're fine.

If you do end up getting one make sure it has the HK sound system and the bigger screen. The other stuff for the most part is non-used fluff.

The way I look at it; I picked up a 52k car for 1/3 of new with almost no miles on it. It's basically the price of a corolla to commute in a BMW. The range works for my commute and the operating cost is so far about 1/5 of driving on gas.

I was getting about 24mpg on premium fuel and now I pay $0.115 per kWh which (for me) equates to about 125MPG on electric. The car on average gets about 4.7miles per kWh in the summer. Less in the winter.

it's a fantastic car with looks only a mother can love :) it grows on you though.

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:53 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:53 am
A cam chain "should" never need replacement, according to VW :shock:

On my 2009 TSFI Jetta a weakness identified by many is the cam tensioner, be sure that if you do the repair that it is not that part that is giving you grief. It depends on oil pressure and is a known problem on these engines.
https://redlinespeedworx.com/blog/2-0t- ... er-failure
It seems like this guy/gal could be me!
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... nt-Service

Sounds like tensioner replacement <$1k, do everything $1500.
I was quoted the later; will find out what's needed when they take cover off!

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Repaired the GTI for $1700. $950 in labor probably need a cheaper mechanic.
Fingers crossed it lasts another 5-7 years. Has 60k miles now.
Fun to think what the electrics will look like in 2023

phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:58 am

I drive a Chevy Bolt often and I think it’s a nice, zippy car. By the time you plan to give it away I’d expect the charging infrastructure in the country to have changed.

Topic Author
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:31 am

Bolt was what I'd buy now if I hadn't repaired GTI.
I'd have to plug in Bolt every weekend. Volt I'd have to do every night. I hate refueling the GTI every other week - and I'd also hate having to plug in the volt every night (I'm OCD that I'd prob do it rather than risk run out of battery).
So the Bolt for about $25k after tax benefits now is great - though the GM credit should expire in 6 months.
Just hope the overall Federal credit survives politics.

JerLon

Post by JerLon » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:09 am

Bought a Prius Prime Plus yesterday. $24,000 OTD (including all NY taxes and fees). $19,500 after federal tax credit.

oko

Post by oko » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:22 pm

I cannot believe nobody recommended Honda Clarity here. Most consensus is it is much better than Volt while having almost the same electric only range. It is basically a luxury car for regular car price. Though list price is $34K, most people got it under 30K (see here: https://www.insideevsforum.com/communit ... e-paid.686). It is eligible for 7.5K tax credit and most state rebates.

I have it for almost two months and absolutely love it. Anyone considering Volt or Prius should really check that out.

Voltron

Post by Voltron » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:25 pm

In response to Honda Clarity, my first issue is range. 46 miles for Honda Clarity vs 53 miles for Chevy Volt. My second issue is less control of the car running only on electric. There is more forces running of gas at times than the Volt. So for persons who want to go electric, Volt may be a slightly better choice.

You are correct. There are many luxury like features of the Honda Clarity and also the interior is bigger. That said, I’m not too fond of the exterior. It is a good car too though.

sketchy9

Post by sketchy9 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:46 am

Also bear in mind that if your motivation for going electric is at all environment-related, the "greenest" option is one that does not involve the manufacture of a new car, even if that means driving a gas engine car, simply because the amount of resources consumed and waste created to make a new car is worse than whatever you're saving with an electric drivetrain. So, depending on your motivation, repair your existing car or buy used, either electric or gas.

EDIT: just saw that you repaired your old car. See above, don't feel bad about continuing to drive a gas car (if indeed you ever did).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:34 am

sketchy9 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:46 am
Also bear in mind that if your motivation for going electric is at all environment-related, the "greenest" option is one that does not involve the manufacture of a new car, even if that means driving a gas engine car, simply because the amount of resources consumed and waste created to make a new car is worse than whatever you're saving with an electric drivetrain. So, depending on your motivation, repair your existing car or buy used, either electric or gas.

EDIT: just saw that you repaired your old car. See above, don't feel bad about continuing to drive a gas car (if indeed you ever did).
... ish

Car manufacture & disposal is c. 15% of the total emissions arising from an Internal Combustion Energy car with average life*. This has been studied to death - the automotive consultancy Ricardo did a lot of work on this for the UK government, and the reports are out there on the web. It's also in the IPCC stuff (on mitigation) - back to the original sources. There are significant uncertainties, but as a rule of thumb. US National Renewable Energy Lab has also made these kinds of calculations.

Switching from a gas guzzler to an EV (and assuming EVs have a largely low-pollutant electricity generation) will probably be a net positive for the environment particularly *if* your original car is scrapped.

* it depends. But 15-18% with recycling car being about 3% of lifecycle emissions (which is basically done for 100% autos in USA, following massive changes in technology for scrapping; at its peak the US had something like 50m unscrapped vehicles, now it has nearly zero**).

** see Adam Minto's Junkyard Planet for a ground-eye view of the world's metal recycling industry. He is a reporter with a family history in the scrapyard industry, who is based in China.