How to make opened bottles of wine last longer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

How to make opened bottles of wine last longer

Post by ThankYouJack »

How long will a typical opened bottle of wine stay "fresh"? What can you do to extend it? Store it in the fridge? Are all of the vacuum stoppers pretty much the same?
bottlecap

Re: How to make opened bottles of wine last longer

Post by bottlecap »

I put it in the fridge with the cork back in or top screwed back on.

White wine is still pretty good the next day, but not so good the day after that. Drinkable maybe, but noticeably not fresh.

I think red wine keeps a litter better and still might be good enough the third day.

In my experience, the inexpensive stoppers and vacuum pumps don’t really change these times.

JT
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I generally get things to last 2-3 days in the fridge with a vacuum stopper. White lasts a little longer than red but even red wine will seem to go 2-3 days. I just have to remember to take it out mid-day when I want to use the rest.

A lot depends on the quality and balance of the wine in question. If there isn't good acid balance it doesn't really matter. It won't keep long and it wasn't great to begin with.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:06 am How long will a typical opened bottle of wine stay "fresh"? What can you do to extend it? Store it in the fridge? Are all of the vacuum stoppers pretty much the same?
For "nice" wine, I'm not convinced that re-corking (or using a device to do same) "works".
The wine is already well exposed to air, and there's a lot of "fresh" air back in the bottle.

We've tried to "solve" this by getting half bottles, so we finish it (but a "2/3 bottle would probably suit us better :happy ).

There are all sorts of specialty devices to deal with the "air exposure" problem.

One that has intrigued us, but not yet enough to try it, is where a "balloon" of sorts, of a non-reactive substance (no taste, no odors, supposedly) is inflated inside the bottle, squeezing out the air.
But from the initial pouring, and especially if for several glasses at different times, there's still been plenty of exposure to air.

At bars/restaurants that serve something nicer (harder and harder to find), we'll ask if they'll open a fresh bottle for us.
They've tended to do so with a smile, and they open it in front of us, so it's not fake (or they have one great way of faking a sealed bottle!?).

I'd love to know of anything that would preserve red wine for a few days, or even 1-2.
We've found that even the next day, fine reds are no longer, um, "fine", but they might at least be okay to drink.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

I use this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GA3KCE/re ... wBb6ZEPFTC

For red wine, If I use this, I can make the wine go a day or two if I open it, vacuum it and put it back in my red wine (57 degree) fridge.

Open white wine usually just goes back in the colder food refrigerator without the vacuum. We're not finicky white wine drinkers.

For daily glass of wine when I don't want to open a whole bottle, I just use box wine now. There are reasonable quality box wines now (black box, bota box, etc -- google "Wine Spectator Box Wine") and they're intended to be kept open with their vacuum bag not getting air in it. I do that during the week, then open bottles on the weekend.
tedgeorge

Post by tedgeorge »

We have some volume drinkers when the family comes over and found boxed wine to be the best solution. We can keep one of those going for 2-3 weeks if they don't come over for awhile. This alleviates us from having bottles that we won't finish and keeps a certain person from having to finish any open bottles "so they don't go to waste". It's also nice when you want a glass of wine and don't want to open a bottle because it's just going to go bad....

Not for everyone's taste but if you're not drinking expensive stuff, give it a chance.
Cheryl604

Post by Cheryl604 »

https://www.amazon.com/Savino-857590004 ... 4763&psc=1

We use this. We like it because it's easy to use, and it is noticeably better than keeping wine in the bottle with a cork. We've had red wine the 3rd day that was still great, but wine doesn't last much longer than that in our house.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Perhaps my palate isn't as sensitive, but I find that the Vac-U-Vin brand of rubber stoppers and hand vacuum pump work quite well to help keep open bottles of wine tasting good for up to a week or two. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GA3KCE/ref=dp_cerb_2 I also started using stoppers that come as an accessory with my Food Saver system, which is the same principle minus all the vigorous hand pumping necessary with Vac-U-Vin.

The whole principle is to evacuate all the air out of the bottle and I find that it works just fine: you can hear the air rushing back in when you remove the rubber stoppers. As far as the initial exposure to air degrading the wine when the bottle is first opened, I disagree. The "breathing" usually improves the flavor of the wine, particularly young, more tannic reds.

Also putting a little "chill" on your reds before opening them, particularly during summer, improves the flavor. Let's remember, classic French reds were meant to be opened immediately once pulled from the cool wine cellar deep in the bowels of the Chateau. Unless, of course, you happen to have a cool wine cellar, or at least a refrigerated wine cave in your own Chateau. So there's that, too.
Last edited by El Greco on Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:39 am
ThankYouJack wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:06 am How long will a typical opened bottle of wine stay "fresh"? What can you do to extend it? Store it in the fridge? Are all of the vacuum stoppers pretty much the same?
For "nice" wine, I'm not convinced that re-corking (or using a device to do same) "works".
The wine is already well exposed to air, and there's a lot of "fresh" air back in the bottle.
Think of it as a type of aerator:) My experience is the corks, pumps, gas, and the rest buy you another day where the wine is pretty drinkable. I have a friend that swears by the coravin (needle through cork so there is basically no air exposure) and I tend to agree. If I was drinking only say a glass a night from a bottle it would be the way to go. Of course this is wine. How much of any of the above is suggestibility versus reality is hard to say:)
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

This is an option, but one I have no experience with other than its used at wine bars I've been too. I regularly keep re-corked bottles of wine in my refrigerator from one weekend to the next without any noticeable deterioration. I've been accused by friends of having been gifted with a defective palate.....

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016EZ08QU?aa ... 9767390201
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:39 am There are all sorts of specialty devices to deal with the "air exposure" problem.
Clean and dry and empty half bottle or two and keep some inert stoppers (rubber/plastic - not cork). When you open a full bottle, pour half into the clean half bottle immediately, as close to the bottom of where the clean stopper will sit and then cork it. Put in the fridge and it will last several days. If using next day, leave it out, it will be fine.

We have found a couple of decent wines in cans (yes, cans). The cans hold 500ml so you get 2/3 or a normal bottle.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I typically drink red wines in the $10-35 range. Honestly, I find that some of them are actually improved by being opened and re-corked and left in the refrigerator for 24 hours and the rest of them are not noticeably different the next day. Just give it some time to warm up a little so it isn't ice cold.

That is with a 24 hour delay rather than an immediate side-by-side comparison, of course, but my point is that I don't see it as such a big deal for a modest red wine. A bottle only holds 5 or 6 glasses so it shouldn't need to be held longer than that.

If a glass or two gets left in a bottle for more than a few days, I use it for cooking instead of drinking.
Bammerman

Post by Bammerman »

I like a glass or two of red wine in the evening, but my wife doesn't drink, so making a nice bottle of wine last longer is important to me. I've been using rubber stoppers with a vacuum device for years (like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GA3KCE/ref=dp_cerb_2) and have been satisfied. I would never keep a red wine in the refrigerator, because it makes the wine too cold. (BUT, please don't tell anybody, I have been known to pop an ice cube into a glass of too-warm red wine. Since I very seldom spend more than $10 for a bottle of wine, I don't think I'm ruining anything by doing this.)
galectin

Post by galectin »

A guy I used to work with who is really into fine wine suggested buying the small ~150 ml bottles of cheap wine with screw caps and fill them with the rest of the wine after you open it.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

galectin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 pm A guy I used to work with who is really into fine wine suggested buying the small ~150 ml bottles of cheap wine with screw caps and fill them with the rest of the wine after you open it.
There are some nice glass "decanters", with seals, of a few varying small sizes (e.g., half bottle, quarter bottle) that are made for (or marketed as, anyway) "leftovers".
I wonder which "container" would be best, for this purpose.

But I still worry that the pouring process will "nicely" aerate... and thus perhaps be able to give an extra day, but nothing like if it was still sealed.

I suppose we could try one of these, and right after opening, carefully/gently fill that (minimal air remaining), and then drink the rest. (Nice experiment, at least :D )
And then see how it does the next day, and then try again with 2 days. (More nice experiments...)

Unfortunately, our favorite *fine* wine isn't bottled in half bottles, although a few "next favorites" are, but not too easy to find. I worry they won't keep making those, and haven't looked recently.

RM
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I take a different approach. I try not to open a bottle of wine unless I know it will be gone by the next evening--or the one after that at the latest.

It seems to be very effective :beer
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

The only reasonable way to solve this problem is to drink it faster! :beer

(Barefoot - Merlot, from Krogers (grocery store)... I'm quite the connoisseur!!)
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

knpstr wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:37 pm The only reasonable way to solve this problem is to drink it faster! :beer
:happy

We do try to do that when we "can".
But we typically will only finish a bottle during a l-o-n-g multi-course dinner.
And we want to enjoy our wines at other times, smaller meals or even with some cheese as a snack. And then, there's not a chance we'll finish a bottle.

Yeah, big "party people"... "not"...

🍷 🍷

RM
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Box wine, movie theatre fun sized bottles, or just drink beer.
knpstr

Post by knpstr »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:41 pm
knpstr wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:37 pm The only reasonable way to solve this problem is to drink it faster! :beer

But we typically will only finish a bottle during a l-o-n-g multi-course dinner.
And we want to enjoy our wines at other times, smaller meals or even with some cheese as a snack. And then, there's not a chance we'll finish a bottle.

🍷 🍷

RM
A traditional bottle is what 4-5 glasses? 2 people can finish that in 2 days no problem... and let me tell you about the health benefits! :beer

EDIT: I should add that I have no problem drinking an opened bottle of $5 wine a week later. No shame here.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

knpstr wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:47 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:41 pm

🍷 🍷

RM
A traditional bottle is what 4-5 glasses? 2 people can finish that in 2 days no problem... and let me tell you about the health benefits! :beer

EDIT: I should add that I have no problem drinking an opened bottle a week later. No shame here.
Two days, NO problem downing a bottle :D
But it doesn't taste the same the "next day". That's the problem.
At least, not the wines we really like, and "not for us".
But we'll try to pour some immediately after opening, and see if that helps.

And yes, we "need to drink more for health", definitely (and quite seriously) :happy

RM
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Vac-U-Vin brand of rubber stoppers and the hand vacuum pump works nicely to preserve an opened wine on the counter for a few days. Being lightweights we rarely drink a full bottle, but almost always finish an already opened bottle within a couple of days. After a few days it usually does not taste freshly opened but that can be a very good thing. Wine will naturally change (almost hourly in some cases) as it breathes and not necessarily for the worse.
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

mrb09 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:52 am
For daily glass of wine when I don't want to open a whole bottle, I just use box wine now. There are reasonable quality box wines now (black box, bota box, etc -- google "Wine Spectator Box Wine") and they're intended to be kept open with their vacuum bag not getting air in it.
This works for us as well.
Skierajs

Post by Skierajs »

Coravin model one: https://www.coravin.com/model-one-wine-system.html

Only worth it on $30+ bottles and only tap the bottle 2 or 3 times max. Still best to finish the bottle within a few weeks but when it works properly you can be good for months. I’ve had it work for 6+ months but sometimes for some reason it fails to preserve the wine (develops a slow leak possibly, or possibly user error due to too much wine).
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Skierajs wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:32 pm Coravin model one: https://www.coravin.com/model-one-wine-system.html

Only worth it on $30+ bottles and only tap the bottle 2 or 3 times max. Still best to finish the bottle within a few weeks but when it works properly you can be good for months. I’ve had it work for 6+ months but sometimes for some reason it fails to preserve the wine (develops a slow leak possibly, or possibly user error due to too much wine).

I was going to suggest an argon flush after evacuating...
which is not too dissimilar than that
for a more complete process: get a glovebox, evacuate with vacuum pump, flush with nitrogen or argon, (repeat), then open wine ...decanting the required amount, re”cork” with a non porous “cork” and then refrigerate remainder at proper temperature after opening glovebox
enjoy your wine 🍷
[works for air sensitive compounds... it would work for wine.... bit of an overkill.... but it would work]
CULater

Post by CULater »

I used to put a stopper in red wine bottle and put in fridge. Then I tried just putting stopper in and leaving the wine out and it lasted as long and tasted the same as in the fridge. And no need to warm it up to drink. When you think about it, refrigeration retards the growth of bacteria and what bacteria can survive swimming in alcohol in the first place? Looks to me like restaurants do the same thing with open bottles of red wine.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

CULater wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:27 pm I used to put a stopper in red wine bottle and put in fridge. Then I tried just putting stopper in and leaving the wine out and it lasted as long and tasted the same as in the fridge. And no need to warm it up to drink. When you think about it, refrigeration retards the growth of bacteria and what bacteria can survive swimming in alcohol in the first place? Looks to me like restaurants do the same thing with open bottles of red wine.
I put it in the fridge to lower the temperature to slow down oxidation and evaporation, not prevent bacterial growth. Also keeps it out of the light but red wine usually comes in a tinted bottle anyway.

You are probably correct that there is not a noticeable difference in a day or two but especially during the summer I don't want to risk it.

Restaurants and bars don't refrigerate open bottles because they can't serve it cold or ask customers to wait for it to warm up.
hotpancakes

Post by hotpancakes »

I've tried everything. Here's what works:

1) Cheap. Bottles last a week or two in the fridge: https://www.amazon.com/Private-Preserve ... B00IB7PHSE
2) Expensive. Bottles last pretty much indefinitely: https://www.amazon.com/Coravin-Model-Wi ... B0168AT5HE

They both work by pushing an inert gas into the bottle, namely argon, preventing (or reducing, in the case of #1) oxidation. Note that the Coravin only works with natural cork closures, and the refill capsules are fairly spendy.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I've started buying cans of wine. About 1.5-2 glasses in each can. Not bad for $2.99.
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

I find the vacuum stoppers make a huge difference allowing me to keep a nice bottle of red wine for a second day (they never last longer than two days for me so I haven't tested beyond this). I have never found a good bottle of red wine (Tawny Port is an exception of course) that can last more than a day without a vacuum. Perhaps those that say it can just don't notice it starting to turn.
I find white wine can make a second day without a vacuum stopper (but it may still help).
(EDIT ADD: Never tried the $300 system mentioned above).
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

Skierajs wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:32 pm Coravin model one: https://www.coravin.com/model-one-wine-system.html

Coravin is terrific. The cash outlay can be daunting but at the end of the day, you wind up drinking less (there's no pressure to finish the bottle), you can buy higher quality wines without a worry (if done correctly, it'll be preserved for many months), and once you get the hand of it--meaning, you have patience--the argon replacements last longer than you think. The reason why you may be having a problem occasionally is because you have to actually be working a true cork; some synthetic corks look pretty real, but the seal isn't secure with those. Coravin even makes a screw-top that you can use to replace the metal screw-top and will allow the argon gas to be used.

Vac-U Vin will give you a couple of days and is definitely better than just "re-corking."
Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 »

I'm in the wine trade and have at least 4-5 bottles open and with me everyday. The key is to keep them cool and keep them dark.

I use a vacuvin and pump air out and stand them in the fridge. The coravin i do use when I'm showing wines over $100. The cartridges are too expensive to use with cheaper wines.

The Black Box is actually not bad. I have all the wine I can drink for free (thank God because the pay isn't huge) but I would probably buy boxed wine if I didn't work in the industry...

Enjoy the vino...
jima

Post by jima »

hotpancakes wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:37 pm I've tried everything. Here's what works:

1) Cheap. Bottles last a week or two in the fridge: https://www.amazon.com/Private-Preserve ... B00IB7PHSE
2) Expensive. Bottles last pretty much indefinitely: https://www.amazon.com/Coravin-Model-Wi ... B0168AT5HE

They both work by pushing an inert gas into the bottle, namely argon, preventing (or reducing, in the case of #1) oxidation. Note that the Coravin only works with natural cork closures, and the refill capsules are fairly spendy.
I was going to write a post almost identical to this. Both are good options that I’ve been happy with. Bought a case of option #1 a couple of years ago and still have plenty left, they last forever so are very inexpensive per-use.

The Coravin is a little different use case, it’s more for a bottle that you know you won’t finish or just want a glass or two from. It works best on bottles that have never been opened, while the cans are a way to prolong the life of a partially consumed bottle.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

I wonder if there has been any objective science done on this question? Blind taste testing of newly-opened wine bottles compared with bottles preserved by these various methods?
wander

Post by wander »

I use the Mason Jar and try to minimize air expose as much as I can.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

We only buy boxed wine, it stays good for over a month. Bota box has great fermented grapes.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf »

Dominic, did you pump the wines?
As a bartender many years ago, the owner asked all of us if we pumped the wine as when were leaving for the night.
I drink 3 buck Chuck with dinner today and if we have leftover, I always, pump the wine. White in refrigerator and red back into the wine rack.
I can still tell the difference when I don't do the pumping.
Tip: Trader Joe sell 3 Buck Chuck Pinot Grigio that is from Organic grapes. A lot more value for the small increase in price.

dominic
Dominic
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

tedgeorge wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:53 am We have some volume drinkers when the family comes over and found boxed wine to be the best solution. We can keep one of those going for 2-3 weeks if they don't come over for awhile. This alleviates us from having bottles that we won't finish and keeps a certain person from having to finish any open bottles "so they don't go to waste". It's also nice when you want a glass of wine and don't want to open a bottle because it's just going to go bad....

Not for everyone's taste but if you're not drinking expensive stuff, give it a chance.
Some of the better box wines are not that bad (Bota, Black Box). We broke down and keep a box out for the daily glass with dinner while the kids are running around.

On weekends we will open a nice bottle.
Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes »

galectin wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:43 pm A guy I used to work with who is really into fine wine suggested buying the small ~150 ml bottles of cheap wine with screw caps and fill them with the rest of the wine after you open it.
This is what I do too. Regardless, I find red wine can often improve over 2-3 days when kept in the fridge and brought back to a little below room temperature for consumption.

It's also remarkably effective to freeze recorked bottles of wine that you've not finished and don't think you'll get back to for a while. I've done this for up to several weeks while on vacation with no taste impact.

I was given a Coravin for a birthday present last year but returned it as I didn't think it was worth the fuss/bother. Also I like the ritual of removing a cork from a bottle before consumption rather than sticking a needle through it.

I largely drink wine in the $25 and up range.