Intermittent Fasting

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishmonger
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:20 pm

Intermittent Fasting

Post by fishmonger » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:12 am

Hoping to keep this in line for the mods and stay away from medical advice. I've become interested in intermittent fasting for a number of reasons. I would obviously ease into it, two days a week or so to start.

Wondering how many of you have tried it and what works for you? One complicating factor is I exercise in the morning, usually strength training and occasional HIIT workouts. I'm used to working out on an empty stomach but hit the protein hard right afterwards. Wondering if any of you have experience with this as well and what you've learned?

TwstdSista
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:03 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by TwstdSista » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 am

I have a girlfriend who does a 16:8 regularly and it works for her. She's also on the Keto diet. Neither of these is for me (I like carbs!), but I do try for a simple 12:12.

Found this article just yesterday which says that it's also medically sound: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weight ... li=BBnba9O

123
Posts: 3700
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by 123 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:18 am

I fast between lunch and dinner but it's tough. Seems to work better if I have dinner early, like around 2 p.m.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

JoinToday
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by JoinToday » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 am

123 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:18 am
I fast between lunch and dinner but it's tough. Seems to work better if I have dinner early, like around 2 p.m.
you obviously have more will power than I have. I might have to eat a snack around 1 PM to hold me over :wink:

Seriously here: I eat dinner late 7-8 pm, and still need to eat a snack before going to bed. I can't fall asleep if I am hungry. In addition, I need a snack between lunch & dinner.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

clutchied
Posts: 564
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by clutchied » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:33 am

A friend gets an "executive physical" through work once a year as he is a key employee. it's a pretty significant workup taking half a day to complete.

The last 3 or 4 years he's tried different things in an attempt to influence his blood chemistry. Of all the things he's tried intermittent fasting is the only one that has made any type of significant impact.


Pretty interesting N=1.

Shallowpockets
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:38 am

You mention working out in an empty stomach, but don't say when you eat your protein. Fasting is based on time intervals. Are you looking to extend that after exercise timeframe until you eat?
Not enough info from you.
Seems to me that fasting is usually attached to some psychological reason and not on a physical reason. all of us fast at some point. The very word breakfast says it all. You went the whole night without food.
Intermittent fasting is for those without the discipline to set a schedule. Intermittent means you can break that fast at any time since you are not beholden to a timeframe set in advance. Fasting set to a specific timeframe is really a form of denying oneself food. Denying. Not passing the time until you eat again. Denying, as in an active form. That you would eat, but do not.

stoptothink
Posts: 4395
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:42 am

I do it, more because it fits my lifestyle than for health reasons; although "health" is my career and a huge part of my personal life. I could talk about the scientific pros and cons for days, but that isn't relevant. I have never done well with breakfast and not eating throughout the work day allows me to focus on the tasks at hand so I can get my stuff done and get home. This usually results in more of a 20hr daily fast (feeding from 5-9pm). I have fasted much longer on many occasions; up to 72hrs, about where the scientific literature says most people begin to experience real negative metabolic changes. I actually train mid-day (sometime 12-2pm), always in a completely fasted state and have never really experienced negative effects, in fact I have had great workouts at the tale end of 60+hr fasts.

Like anything else, the experience and effects are distinct to you. Intermittent fasting does not work well for some people. Also, start of slow and gauge how your body is adjusting.

OneWorld111
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:59 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by OneWorld111 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:49 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... ng_1.shtml

Came across this link where fasting is routine for some people in the world!

jebmke
Posts: 8357
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by jebmke » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:58 am

JoinToday wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 am
Seriously here: I eat dinner late 7-8 pm, and still need to eat a snack before going to bed. I can't fall asleep if I am hungry. In addition, I need a snack between lunch & dinner.
Same here; doesn't really matter - same number of calories.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

g2morrow
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by g2morrow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:02 am

OMAD (one meal a day) is a popular form of intermittent fasting.

Alternate day fasting (eating every other day) is also pretty popular.

Personally I do OMAD. I've tried alternate day (didn't care for it) and I've also done several week long fasts (those were interesting and easier then you think)

Although some people debate this, there are really only two kinds of fasting.
Dry fast - no eating or drinking - not recommended for anyone
Water fast - only water, duh

Juice only or fruit only etc.... are not fasts.

everyone is different - see what works for you

veindoc
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by veindoc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:07 am

g2morrow wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:02 am
OMAD (one meal a day) is a popular form of intermittent fasting.

Alternate day fasting (eating every other day) is also pretty popular.

Personally I do OMAD. I've tried alternate day (didn't care for it) and I've also done several week long fasts (those were interesting and easier then you think)

Although some people debate this, there are really only two kinds of fasting.
Dry fast - no eating or drinking - not recommended for anyone
Water fast - only water, duh

Juice only or fruit only etc.... are not fasts.

everyone is different - see what works for you
The OMAD fast sounds interesting. When do you eat? Personally I need breakfast. I don’t always get breakfast and feel lousy until I do. But it seems many OMAD eat mid afternoon or evening.

g2morrow
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:23 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by g2morrow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:10 am

Everyone is different. I eat between 4-6pm. I'm not a breakfast person so I just have coffee in the morning. (black)

User avatar
mrc
Posts: 1196
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by mrc » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:11 am

Dr. Jason Fung's The Complete Guide to Fasting is a great starting reference (with practical solutions). Many OMAD and Intermittent Fasting folks tend to be low carb (because higher carb diets make fasting much more difficult). To say much more will get the thread closed.
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18545
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:13 am

I do 16/8 on most days. Occasionally, I stretch the fasting period to 18, 20, or even 24 hours. I have not been eating carbs even before Intermittent Fasting, but I am not sure if my diet qualifies as Paleo. It's easy for me to follow this regime, except when I am surrounded by food in restaurants or airplanes.

When I don't eat I have much more energy than when I have just eaten. I don't see any conflict between IF and exercise. Dr. Fung discusses this in his books.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

UniversityEmployee9
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:01 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by UniversityEmployee9 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:15 am

I do it and have enjoyed it. I only eat between 2pm and 8pm, so 18:6. I generally have a protein bar around 2pm and dinner around 6pm. I also do the keto diet and never really feel hungry.

phantom0308
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by phantom0308 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:20 am

I did it for about half a year when I was in college/interning. I think it works great. It helped to have a more flexible lifestyle when I was starting it. I didn't have to worry as much at the beginning about being tired in the morning when my body expected food.
I don't think it's magic though. You lose weight by being more conscious of what you eat and in this diet reducing the amount of time you're eating. I had just as much success running everyday and counting calories.

If you're into lifting weights/bodybuilding, then lean gains used to be/is the major proponent of intermittent fasting for that community. Unfortunately I can't lift weights anymore for health reasons, so have lost track of that community.

Austintatious
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Austintatious » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:21 am

A recent article out of Harvard Medical School saying that, if done properly, it is " safe and incredibly effective":
So is this as good as it sounds?

I was very curious about this, so I asked the opinion of metabolic expert Dr. Deborah Wexler, Director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Diabetes Center and associate professor at Harvard Medical School. Here is what she told me. “There is evidence to suggest that the circadian rhythm fasting approach, where meals are restricted to an eight to 10-hour period of the daytime, is effective,” she confirmed, though generally she recommends that people “use an eating approach that works for them and is sustainable to them.”

So here’s the deal. There is some good scientific evidence suggesting that circadian rhythm fasting, when combined with a healthy diet and lifestyle, can be a particularly effective approach to weight loss, especially for people at risk for diabetes. (However, people with advanced diabetes or who are on medications for diabetes, people with a history of eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia, and pregnant or breastfeeding women should not attempt intermittent fasting unless under the close supervision of a physician who can monitor them.)
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/int ... 8062914156

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18254
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 am

fishmonger wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:12 am
Hoping to keep this in line for the mods and stay away from medical advice. I've become interested in intermittent fasting for a number of reasons. I would obviously ease into it, two days a week or so to start.
Wondering how many of you have tried it and what works for you? One complicating factor is I exercise in the morning, usually strength training and occasional HIIT workouts. I'm used to working out on an empty stomach but hit the protein hard right afterwards. Wondering if any of you have experience with this as well and what you've learned?
I find this very credible -

http://www.drmirkin.com/ and search for Intermittent fasting - he has several articles with referces

Luckywon
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Luckywon » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:28 am

I do 16 hour fasts 4 days a week and 22 hour fasts 3 days a week. i.e., I don't eat breakfast and I skip lunch 3 days a week. Has no negative effects on my energy or stamina for my aerobic workouts. I've lost weight and easily maintained a healthy weight. I honestly believe the notion that eating 3 meals a day is healthy was concocted for no good reasons and is not what the human body was evolved to do.

Plus, skipping all those meals is a great time and money saver-not being facetious at all. Especially on vacations, it's wonderfully liberating!

Finally, meals taste so much better after fasting!

likegarden
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by likegarden » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:40 am

You can fast somewhat without an empty stomach. Try to eat only vegetables one day a week. I did that once I had my own apartment out of college. Fridays I only brought raw vegetables to work for lunch, without dressing, had those also for breakfast and dinner, worked well for me.

Freefun
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Freefun » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:49 am

I do 8-16 some days of the week. Works great for me. Usually eat between 8am-4pm.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

3-20Characters
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:11 am

I eat within a 5-8 hour window (sometimes shorter, depending on how my day plays out). I skip breakfast, have lunch as my main meal (between 12-2 pm usually), and then usually eat a light dinner between 6-8 pm. I’ve been doing this for years.

Fasting is easy if you give yourself the chance to get used to it. One thing I noticed is that if I eat at regular times every day (say lunch at noon), I start thinking of food at 11:30 am and will remain hungry until about 1-1:30. if I haven eaten by that time, I can just skip lunch I’m not hungry at all until dinner time (at which point I may eat a little more for dinner but not equalling both meals). As for exercise, I’ve done very long bike rides and hikes on an empty stomach. If anything, I feel better and stronger as long I’m eating the required calories averaged out overall. I’m not a high performance athlete however, so that may not be a good idea for riders in the Tour de France. Also, I can’t speak to weight lifting and protein loading as I have no knowledge about it.

Common knowledge tells us that humans are well adapted to go days without eating and still function perfectly fine. We wouldn’t have survived without this adaptation. If you look at some of the studies like the Ancel Keys 7 countries study, he was studying people who fasted due to privation and for religious reasons, so many of the health benefits he discovered in these populations which are attributed to the Mediterranean diet could well be attributed at least in part to fasting and/or calorie restriction.

In a sedentary environment (such as medically monitored facilities), people can easily fast for weeks. I think the record is one year but that was a very obese individual. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that fasting is health promoting. One longevity researcher (Valter Longo) is currently doing some very interesting work regarding fasting for cancer prevention/treatment. He may well get a Nobel someday.

Another possible benefit of fasting may be that you can train your body to access its fat stores more readily. I don’t know if there is solid science behind this but it makes sense. As long as your body has glycogen stores topped off from regular feeding, it will tend to favor that energy supply over burning fat because fat is preferable to store for famines (I think of body fat as the body’s strategic calorie supply). A controlled fast is in essence, a famine as far as your body is concerned so perhaps it starts to get more adept at tapping the fat stores. Keto tries to simulate this idea by depriving one of almost all carbs (carbs tops off glycogen) so it’s a similar concept and keto often includes fasting to go along with the low carbs.

An interesting “character” among the many experimenting with fasting and other health related extremes is Ray Cronise. He’s an ex-NASA scientist and a fun guy from what I can tell. You can google him if interested.

A final note: while fasting is currently in favor mostly with low carb folks, I eat a high-carb diet of mostly whole plants and yet I still do intermittent fasting. This makes me an odd duck, I suppose.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 428
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Artful Dodger » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:32 am

I'll second the Jason Fung book.

I got into the habit of skipping breakfast, so often do the 16-8 type IF. A lot of time, I delay lunch til 2pm, and don't eat past 8pm, so it's more 18-6.

I have also done longer fasts - 24, 36, and 48 hour fasts. When I do these, I definitely add some liquids. Coffee (and will add a little half & half), tea, and homemade bone broth - so will get a few calories from those.

What I find most interesting with the longer fasts is it really is easier on day 2. On day 1, I really notice cravings, but by day 2, I'm more in the flow. I suspect, I could do a day 3 with out much of an issue. I usually do the 48 hour and 36 hour fasts starting Sunday evening / Monday morning. I lift weights on Tuesday AM and feel really good and energized. The one time i broke my fast early on Tuesday, and ate a Subway sandwich for lunch, I was pretty lethargic at my 6pm work out.

I did see recently there were some studies done that supported the idea that IF helped reduce diabetes / pre-diabetes.

User avatar
JamalJones
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 12:53 pm
Location: California

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by JamalJones » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am

My grandmother used to food fast.

1. Pancakes with syrup and bacon for breakfast
2. Beef stew for lunch
3. Pork chops and potatoes for dinner

She went without food for five hours between meals only having a small glass of Scotch between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, and then a nightcap, so three glasses of Scotch per day.

In the last year of her life, she would ONLY eat pork chops. She died 1 month shy of her 103rd birthday.
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | Yap, yap, yap, yap, - the bottom line is ya gotta buckle up the chin strap!

almostretired1965
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by almostretired1965 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:52 am

I actually had a medical reason for trying intermittent fasting since I was pre-diabetic, on metformin, and headed towards full blown diabetes. Making a long story short: I did every other day and on days that I eat, I limited it to two meals, both within 6-8 hours, and no snacking outside of that window. Lost 50 lbs over 4 months, all my numbers, from blood sugar to liver function to blood pressure are normal for the first time in about 20 years, without meds. I still need to fast 2 days a week to maintain current weight, but the rest of the week I'm pretty relaxed about it now, though I still try to keep the meals within an 8-10 hour window.

Best part of this is that I don't count calories and I don't restrict what I eat, except that I don't go overboard on carbs. The is the first dieting regime that has actually worked for me. Discovering Jason Fung might well be the single most important positive event of my life since getting married.

runner3081
Posts: 1618
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by runner3081 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:46 pm

For most of my adult life, I have been doing intermittent fasting, without being intentional or doing it for a purpose.

Right now, I eat a granola bar at 12pm for lunch and then dinner at 5:30 or 6pm. I do not eat food any other time of the day.

Since I am used to it, there is no impact on my morning cardio (run) workouts.

My typical dinner is a sandwich and rice (or spaghetti). I find that the carbs at night hold me over and through my morning runs.

3-20Characters
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 pm

JamalJones wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am
My grandmother used to food fast.

1. Pancakes with syrup and bacon for breakfast
2. Beef stew for lunch
3. Pork chops and potatoes for dinner

She went without food for five hours between meals only having a small glass of Scotch between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, and then a nightcap, so three glasses of Scotch per day.

In the last year of her life, she would ONLY eat pork chops. She died 1 month shy of her 103rd birthday.
Based on what I’ve been able to glean, centenarians are genetic lucky for life lottery winners and super centenarians (110+) are powerball winners. It’s great if you get their genes but copying their lifestyle routines will do nothing for you and could kill you prematurely.

Interesting stats:
In 2012, the United Nations estimated that there were 316,600 living centenarians worldwide.

A supercentenarian, sometimes hyphenated as super-centenarian, is a human (or individual species) who has lived to the age of 110 or more, something only achieved by about one in 1,000 centenarians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenarian

BeerTooth
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by BeerTooth » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:38 pm

My wife and I have been on the 5:2 IF diet for ~4 months (See Michael Mosley BBC documentary).

I have lost ~10 pounds and she has lost >20 pounds and find it quire easy to maintain. We like not restricting specific "bad" food / food groups. And not having to parcel out willpower 7 days a week.

It's basically a simple way to reduce your weekly calorie intake by ~20%.

acanthurus
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:02 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by acanthurus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:56 pm

I do keto + intermittent fasting. I always skip breakfast, and about half the time I skip lunch opting for a large coffee with a lot of cream. When I do eat lunch it is usually a medium salad. Dinner is my heavy meal of the day.

I went from over 300lbs and an A1C of 11.0 as a type 2 diabetic on medication to 205lbs, A1C of 5.3 and I don't require any medication for diabetes anymore. The transformation took just around a year, and I've continued living this way for the last two. I was swimming a few miles a week for the first year but developed a shoulder issue. I don't really exercise now but get a fair amount of walking at my job.

Endurance exercises were not an issue at all, I could knock out several miles in a swim session without issue. I did have issues with my sprints and other high intensity exercise and got fatigued quickly. This is probably more a keto thing than an IF thing, and I think there are ways to address this with nutrition but I never really bothered as I preferred doing a few miles of moderate forward crawl as my "zen" activity. I really miss it and probably ought to see an ortho about the shoulder.

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by BolderBoy » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:12 pm

I started the 16:8 a couple of weeks ago. Eat at noonish and again before 6p. Also limiting portions (informally counting calories). I think I feel better, but it is too soon to tell.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Glasgow
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:24 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Glasgow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:22 pm

I have been semi IF to help losing 30 lbs from 175 lbs and maintaining the weight. At the start:
Morning:
* 2 shots of espresso
* 1/2 of small apple
* (water + pee)^x
Afternoon:
* Fried, grilled, fried, sauteed fish i.e. salmon, tilapia, catfish, tuna, or meat, etc. Absolutely no processed condiments (soy sauce, ketchup, ranch, etc.) Only cooked with olive oil, garlic, salt, spice, pepper, etc. Absolutely no sugar. Most of recipes are from foodnetworks.com
* No fruit, sugary drink, juice, snack, processed food or even tea
* Steamed or boiled vegetables
* Walk 30 minutes around the block near where I work
* (water + pee)^x
Evening:
* Similar to lunch. Leftovers are usually brought to next day lunch
* Water, water and water
That's for me losing 30 lbs.
Now, my weight has hit the target, I'm in my maintenance mode. Have 3/4 cup of organic milk for my morning latte or just plain espresso. Enjoy sugary fruits (*berries, mangos, bananas) once in a while. Still walk everyday for health. Gouge sweet stuff (crepe with one scoop of vanilla ice cream, topped with maple syrup, berries, whipped cream and power sugar) and beer or lemoncello over the weekend. Still no sugary drinks or juice. Lunch and dinner are similar to above.

All my suits are unsuitable to me now as I checked last week to wear to a conference and project meetings. I ended up with just tie and dress shirt or no tie.

MJS
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by MJS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:26 pm

As others have said, IF is healthy, effective for improving blood chemistry, and may offer weight loss or better muscle tone. It can also offer a spiritual component.

However.

Dieting is a lot like investing. Stay the course... for the rest of your life. Choose to do IF for the next 3-5 decades. The more thought and will power needed on a daily basis, the greater the risk of failure in investing or in adherence to a diet. Just as you set up automatic deposits, set up an automatic eating system. Plan for the long term, not just a couple of years.

5:2 worked for me, until it didn't. I didn't plan for the long term.

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by praxis » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I'm not fat, but I wanted to lose 10 lbs. I couldn't find a diet that did that until I went from 7pm dinner to next day 1pm fasting. I do drink a large coffee in the morning. My lunch is a large homemade protein shake of about 300 calories. Then I eat dinner of a protein and a vegetable and a large salad. I lost the weight in a month and have kept it off for 6 months so far. But I've kept up the intermittent fast. I drink alcohol when I want, but not much.

I believe I could live with this schedule for a long time. Like forever. I'm not at all uncomfortable and cut myself enough slack to join friends for lunch once in a while. Otherwise, I'm good with this.

I work out every morning mostly for tone and stamina. I don't find my energy low just because I don't eat breakfast. I don't believe one can lose weight in the gym. Weight loss comes in the kitchen.

Caffeine is an effective appetite suppressant for me, so I don't feel hungry before my lunch shake.

Years ago I used to fast for 3 days at a time. I agree with a previous poster that only the first day is a challenge. Hunger is not an issue for me after the first day.

User avatar
JamalJones
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 12:53 pm
Location: California

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by JamalJones » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm

3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 pm
JamalJones wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am
My grandmother used to food fast.

1. Pancakes with syrup and bacon for breakfast
2. Beef stew for lunch
3. Pork chops and potatoes for dinner

She went without food for five hours between meals only having a small glass of Scotch between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, and then a nightcap, so three glasses of Scotch per day.

In the last year of her life, she would ONLY eat pork chops. She died 1 month shy of her 103rd birthday.
Based on what I’ve been able to glean, centenarians are genetic lucky for life lottery winners and super centenarians (110+) are powerball winners. It’s great if you get their genes but copying their lifestyle routines will do nothing for you and could kill you prematurely.

Interesting stats:
In 2012, the United Nations estimated that there were 316,600 living centenarians worldwide.

A supercentenarian, sometimes hyphenated as super-centenarian, is a human (or individual species) who has lived to the age of 110 or more, something only achieved by about one in 1,000 centenarians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenarian
I agree with you. Forgive the snarkiness...
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | Yap, yap, yap, yap, - the bottom line is ya gotta buckle up the chin strap!

3-20Characters
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:52 pm

JamalJones wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm
3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 pm
JamalJones wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am
My grandmother used to food fast.

1. Pancakes with syrup and bacon for breakfast
2. Beef stew for lunch
3. Pork chops and potatoes for dinner

She went without food for five hours between meals only having a small glass of Scotch between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, and then a nightcap, so three glasses of Scotch per day.

In the last year of her life, she would ONLY eat pork chops. She died 1 month shy of her 103rd birthday.
Based on what I’ve been able to glean, centenarians are genetic lucky for life lottery winners and super centenarians (110+) are powerball winners. It’s great if you get their genes but copying their lifestyle routines will do nothing for you and could kill you prematurely.

Interesting stats:
In 2012, the United Nations estimated that there were 316,600 living centenarians worldwide.

A supercentenarian, sometimes hyphenated as super-centenarian, is a human (or individual species) who has lived to the age of 110 or more, something only achieved by about one in 1,000 centenarians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenarian
I agree with you. Forgive the snarkiness...
No worries. :beer

A healthy lifestyle, IMO, is very boglehead-like—like letting the savings flow into low cost index funds in order to do all the heavy lifting.

Muri
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Muri » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Try looking at Mark Mattson's You Tube Ted Talk on intermittent fasting and brain health. He is a neurobiologist at NIH and Johns Hopkins. His research is showing that intermittent fasting may help protect your brain as you age, and he personally does it because of the results of his research. Interestingly, he says that only a place like NIH will have funding to research I.F. because no pharmaceutical company can make money by telling people to limit the time period in which they eat each day.

Austintatious
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Austintatious » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:25 pm

Muri wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:21 pm
Try looking at Mark Mattson's You Tube Ted Talk on intermittent fasting and brain health. He is a neurobiologist at NIH and Johns Hopkins. His research is showing that intermittent fasting may help protect your brain as you age, and he personally does it because of the results of his research. Interestingly, he says that only a place like NIH will have funding to research I.F. because no pharmaceutical company can make money by telling people to limit the time period in which they eat each day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8&vl=en

User avatar
JamalJones
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 12:53 pm
Location: California

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by JamalJones » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:32 pm

3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:52 pm
JamalJones wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm
3-20Characters wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:30 pm
JamalJones wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am
My grandmother used to food fast.

1. Pancakes with syrup and bacon for breakfast
2. Beef stew for lunch
3. Pork chops and potatoes for dinner

She went without food for five hours between meals only having a small glass of Scotch between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, and then a nightcap, so three glasses of Scotch per day.

In the last year of her life, she would ONLY eat pork chops. She died 1 month shy of her 103rd birthday.
Based on what I’ve been able to glean, centenarians are genetic lucky for life lottery winners and super centenarians (110+) are powerball winners. It’s great if you get their genes but copying their lifestyle routines will do nothing for you and could kill you prematurely.

Interesting stats:
In 2012, the United Nations estimated that there were 316,600 living centenarians worldwide.

A supercentenarian, sometimes hyphenated as super-centenarian, is a human (or individual species) who has lived to the age of 110 or more, something only achieved by about one in 1,000 centenarians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenarian
I agree with you. Forgive the snarkiness...
No worries. :beer

A healthy lifestyle, IMO, is very boglehead-like—like letting the savings flow into low cost index funds in order to do all the heavy lifting.
:sharebeer
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | Yap, yap, yap, yap, - the bottom line is ya gotta buckle up the chin strap!

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Washington state

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Elsebet » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:36 pm

After reading this thread I realized I do this unintentionally since I work 6:30-3.

Breakfast at 7am.
Lunch around 11:30.
Dinner around 4pm.

So I go about 15 hours between meals. Maybe I will try moving breakfast to 8am. :)

I recently watched a keto documentary on Netflix and while I'm not going to cut out all carbs I did start reducing added sugar and eating more fat/protein. One easy thing for me was to replace my Chobani individual greek yogurt cups with homemade ones using plain full fat yogurt and frozen berries, no sugar added. I also drastically cut down on the honey I put in my tea and put peanut butter in my oats instead of sugar. I'm only on week 2 so too soon to report any results.

exrook
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:00 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by exrook » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:39 pm

Dr. Valter Longo at USC has done some really interesting work on fasting:

https://valterlongo.com/usc-longevity-i ... ongo-labs/
“What if you could trick your body into thinking it was fasting, receive the health benefits associated with calorie-restriction, but never actually stop eating?

This is what gerontologist Valter Longo and his lab at the University of Southern California have been researching for years, calling it the “fasting-mimicking diet.” The diet: reduce your caloric intake for just five days a month. …

In their strongest human evidence to date, Dr. Longo and his colleagues found that such a diet, practiced for three months, improved a battery of metabolic markers associated with aging and diseases, such as fasting glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure. Additionally, levels of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), which is associated with cancer, and C-reactive protein, a risk factor for cardiovascular disease went down.”

– The Wall Street Journal, February 17, 2017

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18254
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm

If you have (or risk) certain health/medical conditions (such as diabetes), I would urge consultation with the applicable medical specialist for that condition or risk - BEFORE doing any kinds of "intermittent fasting".

BeerTooth
Posts: 228
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by BeerTooth » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm

MJS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:26 pm
As others have said, IF is healthy, effective for improving blood chemistry, and may offer weight loss or better muscle tone. It can also offer a spiritual component.

However.

Dieting is a lot like investing. Stay the course... for the rest of your life. Choose to do IF for the next 3-5 decades. The more thought and will power needed on a daily basis, the greater the risk of failure in investing or in adherence to a diet. Just as you set up automatic deposits, set up an automatic eating system. Plan for the long term, not just a couple of years.

5:2 worked for me, until it didn't. I didn't plan for the long term.
interested in hearing what made 5:2 unsustainable for you,if you're willing to share. Work, travel schedule, meal planning, hunger, etc? I'm at the early stages but it seems sustainable to me

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7591
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:00 pm

I have gradually come to a more keto-ish way of eating (WOE), and have been doing intermittent fasting (IF) for slightly longer.

My doctor had prescribed metformin and Byetta, then graduated to insulin, then to higher doses of insulin. It apparently was my fault that I wouldn't lose weight :D (those who know about hormones, know that large amounts of insulin makes it almost impossible to lose weight).

So, as of last week, I am officially off insulin and back on metformin. I'm doing the progressive path of diabetes, but in reverse. (btw, how stupid is it that I can't donate my unneeded insulin?). I had been up to 120 units of insulin on some days; I now take 0 units. By HbA1C has been under 7 (6.2 most recently) for more than 6 months. My goal is a HbA1C of under 6. I have lost 30 pounds; I intend to lose another 30 pounds and be back to my weight from 30 years ago (see the symmetry?). My cholesterol is under 160 even though I often eat 6+ eggs, yolk and all, per day. My kidney function has stabilized. My blood pressure still needs work, but with medication is well within normal range.

I intermittent fast (usually do 22:2 daily (with an occasional 18:6 on weekends). Btw, 22:2 means you fast for 22 hours, eat in a 2 hour window. Fasting means black coffee, tea, or water. Period. Some people take electrolytes during Extended Fasting, but I don't find it necessary for One Meal A Day (OMAD).

I also gave up all flour products, sugar (duh!), and also artificial sweeteners (a hidden danger, imo). I generally avoid factory meats; I have joined a Community Supported Agriculture share and get pastured proteins. I don't eat rice either, and for the time being, I have given up my beloved oatmeal.

In addition to the books already cited, I recommend Dr. Fung's The Obesity Code and The Diabetes Code. Additionally, there's a quick-read introduction written by Gin Stevens called Delay, Don't Deny.

I know my personal experience isn't proof of anything, but I feel 100 times healthier than I did 3 years ago, when I apparently had a heart attack (we didn't realize it at the time, but EKG results and event reconstruction makes it likely then). I dilly dallied with my diet, tweaking a bit here, cutting out Diet Peach Snapple, until one day when I just decided to get serious about my health.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7591
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm

dm200 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm
If you have (or risk) certain health/medical conditions (such as diabetes), I would urge consultation with the applicable medical specialist for that condition or risk - BEFORE doing any kinds of "intermittent fasting".
I tend to agree, but I did it in spite of my doctor. I now have a different doctor, who is supportive. The blood tests don't lie.

Most doctors, even endocrinologist (surprisingly), know very little about nutrition. Ask your doctor how many nutrition courses they've had. They'll probably say zero.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dm200
Posts: 18254
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: Washington DC area

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by dm200 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:10 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm
If you have (or risk) certain health/medical conditions (such as diabetes), I would urge consultation with the applicable medical specialist for that condition or risk - BEFORE doing any kinds of "intermittent fasting".
I tend to agree, but I did it in spite of my doctor. I now have a different doctor, who is supportive. The blood tests don't lie.

Most doctors, even endocrinologist (surprisingly), know very little about nutrition. As your doctor how many nutrition courses they've had. They'll probably say zero.
I agree 100%! There is no money in "Big Broccoli"

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 5821
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by JoMoney » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:57 pm

I will from time to time go into bouts of fasting from breakfast to breakfast... I eat breakfast everyday, some days I will skip the other meals.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

User avatar
praxis
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by praxis » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:26 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:57 pm
I will from time to time go into bouts of fasting from breakfast to breakfast... I eat breakfast everyday, some days I will skip the other meals.
"What people choose for breakfast says more about them than any other food choices they make." Julie Child

What do you eat for this important choice?

User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 5821
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by JoMoney » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:42 pm

praxis wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:26 pm
JoMoney wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:57 pm
I will from time to time go into bouts of fasting from breakfast to breakfast... I eat breakfast everyday, some days I will skip the other meals.
"What people choose for breakfast says more about them than any other food choices they make." Julie Child

What do you eat for this important choice?
Usually oatmeal with some combination of fruit/berries, jelly, nuts, peanut butter, yogurt
sometimes I go out to a restaurant for a big full breakfast...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Dottie57
Posts: 4451
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:51 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm
If you have (or risk) certain health/medical conditions (such as diabetes), I would urge consultation with the applicable medical specialist for that condition or risk - BEFORE doing any kinds of "intermittent fasting".
I tend to agree, but I did it in spite of my doctor. I now have a different doctor, who is supportive. The blood tests don't lie.

Most doctors, even endocrinologist (surprisingly), know very little about nutrition. Ask your doctor how many nutrition courses they've had. They'll probably say zero.
It is surprising doctors have so little knowledge - especially those who deal with diabetics. I think I will be trying the high protein/fat/low carbohydrate program. I could do intermittent fasting like16/8.

MJS
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Re: Intermittent Fasting

Post by MJS » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:01 pm

BeerTooth wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm
MJS wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:26 pm
... Stay the course... for the rest of your life. Choose to do IF for the next 3-5 decades. The more thought and will power needed on a daily basis, the greater the risk of failure in investing or in adherence to a diet. Just as you set up automatic deposits, set up an automatic eating system. Plan for the long term, not just a couple of years.

5:2 worked for me, until it didn't. I didn't plan for the long term.
interested in hearing what made 5:2 unsustainable for you,if you're willing to share. Work, travel schedule, meal planning, hunger, etc? I'm at the early stages but it seems sustainable to me
During the third year, I relaxed during the Thanksgiving / birthday / Christmas / New Year's season. I thought habit would be sufficient afterwards. Unfortunately, that's not how metabolism works.

http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/5/468/htm

Locked