Cablevisions Bill

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Thegame14

Cablevisions Bill

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:52 pm

This bill kills me. We have no premium channels, 3 cable boxes and our bill is $200 a month. WE cant switch to FIOS and Cablevision knows this, so we get nothing even when threatening to leave. Wife mostly but me somewhat do now want to switch to dish. We don't even want a phone line, so $200 for just cable and internet..... Anyone else have this? any other options or strategies, we wont cut the cord and just do Hulu and Netflix. Already have Netflix.

bloom2708

Re: Cablevisions Bill

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:01 pm

How much for only 25mb internet?

With internet only, then you have many good options with Amazon Fire TV, Roku or Apple TV boxes on each TV.

We use Playstation Vue (Sony streaming) with a Fire TV box on each TV. HuluTV, DirectvNow, Sling are other options. Vue has a great DVR. Personalized profiles, great sports and other channel lineup.

If you can get internet with a decent bandwidth limit (total amount you can download for each month) for $50-$60, then another $50 will still save you $100/month.

Your location will determine which local channels you get. Many good threads about "cutting the cord" which equates to lowering your overall internet/cable bill.

The other nice thing about the streaming options is no contract. Switch early and often until you find "the one". An HD antenna will often get you your locals + several other channels you may now know you have.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:03 pm

You can try calling and negotiating. Comcast has been known to lower your monthly cost if you agree to a 1yr contract. Cablevision may do something similar.

We've been without cable tv subscription for several years and we don't miss it. My wife is a big baseball fan so we use the MLB.TV service but you can't watch a local game live. This may be a problem if one is a Yankees fan living in NY. My wife is a Toronto blue jays fan in the US so most of the games are out of local market and thus not subject to black out in our area.
Wiki

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:17 pm

We currently have the trio-bundle(phone/cable/internet) with Wrecktum, and tried negotiating with them after our bill went up to $200/mo. Nope; they are no longer interested in negotiating rates.

So, after a 2nd time of Wrecktum taking channels away and putting them into different tiers which would require us to pay more to get the same channels back we are cutting the cord.

Will keep Wrecktum internet at $69/month, but I've been 'beta testing' Roku sticks with a basic DirecTV Now streaming bundle at $35/month.

I also got a cheapy indoor OTA antenna setup to get all the local channels free.

Once we are caught up with the DVR recordings, it'll be time to tell Wrecktum to pound sand with their high rates, and save about $100 a month!

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:21 pm

BBQ Nut wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:17 pm
We currently have the trio-bundle(phone/cable/internet) with Wrecktum, and tried negotiating with them after our bill went up to $200/mo. Nope; they are no longer interested in negotiating rates.

So, after a 2nd time of Wrecktum taking channels away and putting them into different tiers which would require us to pay more to get the same channels back we are cutting the cord.

Will keep Wrecktum internet at $69/month, but I've been 'beta testing' Roku sticks with a basic DirecTV Now streaming bundle at $35/month.

I also got a cheapy indoor OTA antenna setup to get all the local channels free.

Once we are caught up with the DVR recordings, it'll be time to tell Wrecktum to pound sand with their high rates, and save about $100 a month!
For a minute I was :confused about the service provider, now I :D :D
I will have to deal with "Wrecktum" next month when my ATT trial year runs out, was a sweet $40 flat a month internet and use the Roku stick.
Will try get the $44 internet, but the "professional installation" at $49 grinds my gears. Nothing to install, my own cable modem!
Wondering if anyone has had luck converting a "pro installation" to self-install.

For OP: dump cable. There aren't enough hours in the day for just Roku/Netflix other.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:33 pm

DSInvestor wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:03 pm
You can try calling and negotiating. Comcast has been known to lower your monthly cost if you agree to a 1yr contract. Cablevision may do something similar.

We've been without cable tv subscription for several years and we don't miss it. My wife is a big baseball fan so we use the MLB.TV service but you can't watch a local game live. This may be a problem if one is a Yankees fan living in NY. My wife is a Toronto blue jays fan in the US so most of the games are out of local market and thus not subject to black out in our area.
That is the problem Yankees fan in NJ, so I have to have cable to get YES... Also my 3 year old loves Nick JR, which isn't on Netflix.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:35 pm

Playstation VUE, Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, Roku.....there are so many options.

Cable TV will never get another dime from me. Direct TV will never also.

Whatever you do, you will learn to adapt to it. We cut the cord a few summers ago and my wife and kids hated me for about a month. Then, they all settled down and adapted.

BTW, we pay $40/month for Playstation VUE, which has all the channels we need, plus locals. We also have Netflix, Hulu, and watch the occasional movie on Kodi. :shock:

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:33 pm
DSInvestor wrote:

That is the problem Yankees fan in NJ, so I have to have cable to get YES... Also my 3 year old loves Nick JR, which isn't on Netflix.
Nick Jr is part of DirecTV Now's basic $35/month package. I just checked.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm

renue74 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:35 pm
Playstation VUE, Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, Kodi, Roku.....there are so many options.

Whatever you do, you will learn to adapt to it. We cut the cord a few summers ago and my wife and kids hated me for about a month. Then, they all settled down and adapted.

BTW, we pay $40/month for Playstation VUE, which has all the channels we need, plus locals. We also have Netflix, Hulu, and watch the occasional movie on Kodi. :shock:
I don't have a playstation.... Also that doesn't give me YES or Nick JR and I need a DVR to keep the 3 year old happy, he loves to watch the same shows over and over.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:38 pm

BBQ Nut wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
DSInvestor wrote:

Wife refuses to get a Satellite of any kind...

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:38 pm
BBQ Nut wrote:
Thegame14 wrote:
DSInvestor wrote:

Wife refuses to get a Satellite of any kind...
DirecTV Now is NOT satellite; it is a streaming service.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:48 pm

We switched to internet only with Cablevision a few years back (about $50/mo, but they have even cheaper plans if you go to an Optimum store). I bought my own modem to avoid the monthly rental fee. We replaced TV with streaming services and the landline with cell phones and VOIP (Ooma, etc). That's about as inexpensive as you can get these days.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:49 pm

Article on YES network streaming options:
https://cordcuttingreport.com/2018/03/2 ... ve-stream/

Lists these options: Hulu with Live TV, DirecTV Now, Sling TV, and fuboTV.

The article recommends Sling TV Blue bundle, which includes Nick Jr.

NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:16 pm

We went through same decision early this year and decided to go with Youtube TV. It was $35 (Now $40/month)
Pluses
-3 Streams
-All local channels in NYC area
-Great sports line up including YES (Yankee and Basketball games)

Make sure to invest in good streaming player. Preferences should be Ethernet connection instead of Wi Fi connection. Roku Ultra is good choice for main TV watching. It doesn't require frequent reboot on Ethernet connectivity and switching channels is faster due to better processor.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:33 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
renue74 wrote:

I don't have a playstation.... Also that doesn't give me YES or Nick JR and I need a DVR to keep the 3 year old happy, he loves to watch the same shows over and over.
Sling TV has Nick Jr.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:49 pm

ok, so let's say I do Optimum internet which is probably like $50 plus fees, then I have to pay either $35-$50 for Direct TV now, then I am assuming I need something to get the Direct TV onto my TV which is something like a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick, which cost money, but only one time. I Tried using a fire stick at another house and had lots of problems with it. Then what do I do for DVR??? DVR is a must with a 3 year old who wont wait for a show he wants to watch, so have to have a DVR. How does that work? I almost never watch live TV, Id say probably 90% of the TV I watch is DVR except the Yankees games, if I catch them after he goes to bed.

blevine

Post by blevine » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Have been watching Yankees on Sling and Hulu for a couple of years now.

I do have the option to go to FIOS, so Cablevision (Optimum) is more negotiable.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
renue74 wrote:

No PlayStation needed. Sony Vue.

The Fire TV app is great. DVR built in.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:49 pm
ok, so let's say I do Optimum internet which is probably like $50 plus fees, then I have to pay either $35-$50 for Direct TV now, then I am assuming I need something to get the Direct TV onto my TV which is something like a Roku or Amazon Fire Stick, which cost money, but only one time. I Tried using a fire stick at another house and had lots of problems with it. Then what do I do for DVR??? DVR is a must with a 3 year old who wont wait for a show he wants to watch, so have to have a DVR. How does that work? I almost never watch live TV, Id say probably 90% of the TV I watch is DVR except the Yankees games, if I catch them after he goes to bed.
Not to 'dis' the Fire Stick, but have read enough unhappy experiences to go with Roku. I've got 3 now and they work really great.

Then, you need a streaming package. If you go with DirecTV Now, then you get an internet/cloud based DVR with up to 20 hours free.

You can get more DVR storage, but it costs more per month.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Thegame14 wrote:

With most of the services, you would be using a cloud DVR. In other words, you are “recording” it and yet still streaming it later. There may be still be one or two that have not yet added this capability, so check on that.

Another possible option is to shut off service and get a new customer deal in the spouse’s name. You might end up with a brief period of no service though and you would need to be OK losing the home phone number (or porting it) and ISP provided email.

At one point, I cancelled the home phone which I wasn’t using anyway. Then a month later, I was able to get a deal for going back to triple play since I was adding a new service. I received a phone number that I never used. But going to the triple play saved me about $50 a month for the year the deal was good.

chambers136

Post by chambers136 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Look into the streaming services more. Hulu and Hulu Live are different, Direct TV and Direct TV Now are different. You can look up available channels for each service. We recently got rid of cable. Comcast would not negotiate- until we he day after we canceled. It was too late once I realized what was available through streaming

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:18 pm

I cut the cord when we moved to our new house late last year.

Told the wife we could no longer afford it.

We're paying $50/month for 50mbps internet and we use Netflix for TV.

Amazon prime has a few good shows, but doesn't really compare to Netflix.

Even with this setup, I feel we watch way too much TV!

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:26 pm

If you won’t cut the cord then you don’t have options. If you want to cut your bill, get rid of 2 of the 3 boxes, get rid of the DVR, teach your 3 year old to watch a Netflix show over and over and over or buy the DVD of the show the kid likes to watch over and over and over. Do you own your own modem/router or are you renting it from Optimum? If you do all that you probably can get your bill down in the $140 range.

FYI, Direct TV will end up being just as expensive as Optimum.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:26 pm
If you won’t cut the cord then you don’t have options. If you want to cut your bill, get rid of 2 of the 3 boxes, get rid of the DVR, teach your 3 year old to watch a Netflix show over and over and over or buy the DVD of the show the kid likes to watch over and over and over. Do you own your own modem/router or are you renting it from Optimum? If you do all that you probably can get your bill down in the $140 range.

Just to be clear.

Direct TV is satellite based with contract pricing.

DirecTV Now is internet based streaming, no contract, MUCH lower priced with the cheapest bundle only $35/month. If you want to cancel...cancel with no fee.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:56 pm

BBQ Nut wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:48 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:26 pm

Just to be clear.

Direct TV is satellite based with contract pricing.

DirecTV Now is internet based streaming, no contract, MUCH lower priced with the cheapest bundle only $35/month. If you want to cancel...cancel with no fee.
I understand, but direct tv now is a streaming service and therefore “cutting the cord”.

NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:08 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Optimum with internet and phone should be around 65. Youtube TV is about 40. Youtube TV allows you to add your favorite channel to be recorded (DVR like). Recorded channels come with bare minimum ads right now. Also, it allows to search (Google Search) to show lineup which will allow you to view past shows that you haven't recorded.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:13 am

Thegame14 wrote:
The Fire TV Box > Fire TV Stick. The Roku Box > Roku Stick. Yes, it is a one time purchase, but should last several years and is less than receiver fees/month. If you are an Amazon Prime member, that may tilt you to Fire TV. Easy access to all the Prime content. There are apps for some of the other offerings. Vue on Fire TV has a really good User Interface.

Vue, YouTube TV, DirecTVNow (beta version?) all have DVR. The Vue DVR is excellent. Each profile (person) can have their own custom set of recordings and view when you log in.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:30 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:54 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
renue74 wrote:

No PlayStation needed. Sony Vue.

The Fire TV app is great. DVR built in.
Sony Vue (Playstation) is available on Roku,Fire,AppleTV,iPhone,Ipad,Macbook & PC. We've had it 2 years now. Includes my regional sports. My package is now $48 a month. No DVR fees, no HD fees, no set top box fee, up to 5 streams at once. I get all my locals too.Logins for individual channel apps.
Too soon old, too late smart.

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:48 am

My Comcast Bill is $270 per month. We have 4 boxes, internet and cable. We end up watching Netflix most of the time, but I love live sports and the Mets(yuck) on SNY. I also enjoy the BigTen Network and some others.

I've been seriously considering cutting the cord but am so bad with technology I feel like it would be such a pain. $3240 annually for cable is insane to me.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:53 am

FootballFan5548 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:48 am
My Comcast Bill is $270 per month. We have 4 boxes, internet and cable. We end up watching Netflix most of the time, but I love live sports and the Mets(yuck) on SNY. I also enjoy the BigTen Network and some others.

I've been seriously considering cutting the cord but am so bad with technology I feel like it would be such a pain. $3240 annually for cable is insane to me.
Mine isn't that bad, it is $200 for 3 boxes, but my worry is with all these newer technologies working together and then once something goes wrong, it is whose issue? I will call the TV provider, they will say it is the internet provider, or the Roku or fire stick, or if Netflix goes out who fixes it, plus I have tried a firestick and it didn't work well, was saying it couldn't connect to internet which made no sense since my phone was connected to the wireless

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:12 pm

I cut ties to cable back in 1994 and never have regretted it. They are the monthly ripoff kingpin in my book.You paid them to have ad piped into your home, and with that, they still raise rates often without much notice, stating they are adding channels. Will I can only watch one at time. This to me was a total waste of money monthly. :happy
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:34 pm

FootballFan5548 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:48 am

I hear ya. When it comes to reliability, cable TV takes the cake. I've had satellite and antenna go out due to inclement weather. Internet goes out often whenever it feels like it. But cablet TV almost always just works. However, at non promotional prices and cost for each box, it was getting into $200 a month for me as well. I've used SlingTV, YouTube TV, and currently using Directv Now. What I like about these services is that you can have multiple streams at once. There is no additional $15 a month rental for each DVR box.

Once you use Amazon Fire TV, you'll see how easy it is. I have a DVR at each TV. The cost of a Fire stick is $20 on sale. Yes, on time reliability will go down but so will your monthly costs. For me, that's $1200 a year saved. ($60 internet and $40 Directv Now) When internet goes down I use my phone with unlimited data so I don't miss anything.