Verizon streaming issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MDfan

Verizon streaming issues

Post by MDfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:46 am

Our Verizon Fios internet speed is 75/75. I have two Samsung Smart TVs and whenever two people try to watch Netflix or Amazon at the same time, we have issues and get an insufficient bandwidth message. Doesn't seem to be an issue if it's a TV and a tablet. Is this a Verizon router/wifi issue? Or is this a Samsung TV issue? Is there something we can do to alleviate the problem (new router, wif-fi extender, etc.)? With our internet speeds, I would think we'd be able to watch Netflix on two TVs at the same time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mhalley

Re: Verizon streaming issues

Post by mhalley » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:59 am

If you have a cell phone you can get an app that can check WiFi signal strength and best channel to use. Look for WiFi analyzer in the App Store.
Have you tried doing the streaming in the same room as the router? If it is fine there, then I imagine it is the WiFi signal. Built in modem and router combos seem to have poor reviews, so getting a new router might be helpful. Deopending on the signal strength you get, a mesh system might be a solution.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks. The router is in a bedroom in the basement (where the FIOS wall box is). One TV is in the basement and the other is on the first floor. So I really can't try the streaming in the same room. What is a mesh system and how might that help?

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:15 am

A mesh system is a special combination of several routers that is designed to seemlessly give good WiFi speed and signal throughout a home. There are many out there. They are a little expensive, but get generally great reviews.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/350795/th ... rk-systems
If you don’t need to get wireless upstairs, maybe you could use a power line kit.
https://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/ ... -adapters/
Last edited by mhalley on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SerenityBlue

Post by SerenityBlue » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:18 am

You can test your "Netflix" Internet speed by using the speed test website that Netflix developed. I'd suggest placing a tablet/laptop in the general area of your TVs while performing this test just to get a rough idea of the speed. This test is not fully accurate because the wireless network card and the software running on your TV can play a factor in your issues.
Other steps listed in this link indicate making sure your TV firmware/software is up-to-date and your DNS settings are set to Google DNS servers(8.8.8.8) that have helped other folks in your situation.
This is more informational but Verizon is currently ranked 6th by Netflix for their streaming service on ISP networks-
https://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/country/us/

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:19 am

Two options come to mind. Hard wire your tv’s using Ethernet cables or use MOCA, which uses your coax cables to transmit internet to your tv’s. We have both, one kind to each of our streaming devices (Apple TV, Roku Ultra), which are connected to our dumb tv’s. Our two desktops are hardwired using Ethernet cables and our laptops, phones, and tablets use WiFi. A third option, which I have no direct experience with, is internet over existing house electrical wiring. That is supposed to be slower than the other two, but again, I have no direct knowledge of it.

It may be a challenging to hard wire your devices, but if we can do it in an 1891 house you can probably do it with some imagination. For example, our Ethernet cable from the router on our second floor goes out of the house along the house on the porch roof, down the outside of the house alongside the cable company’s coax cable, into the cellar through a hole drilled in a window casing, and back up through the floor to the tv.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am

Fios 75/75 was getting unusable for me even for regular surfing. I needed to to upgrade to 150/150 for decent speed. And this was for a wired connection (ethernet cable direct from computer to router). Wifi was even worse.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:23 am

Duplicate
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:24 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:23 am
MDfan wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:06 am
Thanks. The router is in a bedroom in the basement (where the FIOS wall box is). One TV is in the basement and the other is on the first floor. So I really can't try the streaming in the same room. What is a mesh system and how might that help?
https://motorolanetwork.com/mm1000.html

Works like a charm. With Fios gigabit router, you don’t need an adapter on the “sending” end, just on the end near the TV. I have two of them.
ETA: this is what eddot98 was referring to.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
MDfan wrote:

Works like a charm. With Fios gigabit router, you don’t need an adapter on the “sending” end, just on the end near the TV. I have two of them.
So, would I need to buy one of these for each of the TVs? Or is this something that connects to the router itself? Is this a solution in lieu of the mesh system that was referred to earlier?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:45 am

MDfan wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:29 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
MDfan wrote:

So, would I need to buy one of these for each of the TVs? Or is this something that connects to the router itself? Is this a solution in lieu of the mesh system that was referred to earlier?
This was in lieu of my installing a mesh system in my difficult, stone walled house.

Personally, since one TV is near the router, I’d just try with one for the other TV.

Btw, when I moved, Verizon gave me Gigabit for the same price as my 75/75. I get real-life measured 400Mbs on my iPhone. Perhaps you could get a free upgrade. MoCA, fwiw, won’t go faster than 100 Mbs, but 😎

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:04 pm

We have 20 mbit speed with 5 devices streaming HD content on Netflix, YouTube, & DirecTV with nary an issue.

Given your statement that this only happens when two people try to watch Netflix suggests this isn't a router/wifi issue. If just one of the devices can connect fine anywhere in the home, perhaps you're not getting 75/75. Do a speed test to confirm. 75 mb should be enough for 15 devices for HD content and 3 devices for 4k content according to Netflix.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:26 pm

75 mb should be enough for 15 devices for HD content and 3 devices for 4k content according to Netflix.
I like Netflix, a lot, but that’s a bit like asking the fox what kind of fence is required to keep the chickens safe. In my experience, you need more speed to avoid buffering and resolution degradation.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:22 pm

I'm getting Verizon to upgrade our internet to 150 mbps for only a few $ per month extra. And they're waiving the $99 technician fee. So I'll see if that makes a difference first. Thanks for all the suggestions.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:28 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:26 pm
75 mb should be enough for 15 devices for HD content and 3 devices for 4k content according to Netflix.
I like Netflix, a lot, but that’s a bit like asking the fox what kind of fence is required to keep the chickens safe. In my experience, you need more speed to avoid buffering and resolution degradation.
Interesting analogy. Although, I'd consider Netflix the chicken. The fox is your internet provider or Verizon for OP.

In my experience, you need much less than 25 mbits for 4k. Amazon agrees with me with their 15 mbit recommendation. We can disagree. However, assuming OP is streaming two 4k streams, 75 mbits is sufficient to not incur frequent buffering.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Not even 4k. This is two people unable to watch Netflix at the same time on two Samsung smart Tvs. Verizon told me that you could still have bandwidth issues even at 75 mbps. Doesn't seem accurate since their description of 75 mbps service says "5-7 devices at one time." Anyway, they're upgrading me for just a few dollars more so I'll see if that works.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:21 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am
Fios 75/75 was getting unusable for me even for regular surfing. I needed to to upgrade to 150/150 for decent speed. And this was for a wired connection (ethernet cable direct from computer to router). Wifi was even worse.
Something is wrong. Even Netflix 1080p streaming only uses something like 5mbps. It worked for us just fine even when we where on the 25/25 plan.

We started having choppy streaming recently and it turned out our 10 year old Tellabs BPON unit was failing. Tech upgraded us to the latest model Motorola GPON unit and everything works great. Ping improved on speed test also. When you ordered 150 they would have had to replace your ONT if you had an old BPON unit and that likely made the difference, not the speed. As a test, try downgrading again... I bet it seems just as fast.

I’d give the same advise to the OP. Call for a truck roll and have your ONT checked.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Yep, when I upgraded to 150/150, they replaced the ONT so I bet just the new terminal and whatever technology went with it speeded things up.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 pm

It's quite likely the problem is with the wifi rather than FIOS. Even two devices streaming 4K won't consume most of FIOS' bandwidth at 75/75. The best way to make sure FIOS is working properly is to connect a computer via Ethernet to the FIOS gateway/router, and run a speed test (e.g. speedtest.net). If the problem is indeed the wifi, a mesh network (or even just a new 802.11ac router) may help, as others have suggested. Google Wifi is fairly inexpensive and very easy to set up, but there are lots of other as well.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:59 pm

02nz wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 pm
It's quite likely the problem is with the wifi rather than FIOS. Even two devices streaming 4K won't consume most of FIOS' bandwidth at 75/75. The best way to make sure FIOS is working properly is to connect a computer via Ethernet to the FIOS gateway/router, and run a speed test (e.g. speedtest.net). If the problem is indeed the wifi, a mesh network (or even just a new 802.11ac router) may help, as others have suggested. Google Wifi is fairly inexpensive and very easy to set up, but there are lots of other as well.
Yes; the first thing to do is isolate where the issue is. I usually do this

Plug a computer directly into my cable modem and run a speed test.
Test the router independently (not connected to the modem); I also test the switch portion separately from the routing portion and add devices back on to the network one at a time to see if there is a device causing a problem locally.

I once had a situation where one computer had a bad Ethernet card and it was saturating the local network - both in the switch circuit and the routing portion of the router.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:46 am

Go to Netflix (some of these names might be misremembered) Tools then Network then Check Network. It will run a test and tell you what throughout they see. I usually see 95+ Mbs.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:58 am

I disabled the wifi on my Verizon modem/router and used a separate NetGear wifi router. I have 50/50 service and have never had performance issues. 2 TVs with Chromecast, 2 iPhones, an iPad and a desktop computer. Obviously not all used at the same time but definitely a few at a time. Not sure if that would help you but doubt an increase in internet service is necessary. Maybe the channel being used by the router is congested.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:13 am

Too often the steps taken simply waste money. We stream multiple devices with 25Mbps. Upgrading speed is NOT the solution.

DIAGNOSIS is the answer. Figure out where the issue is before spending money. A wireless router in a basement, coupled with streaming via WiFi would be where I would focus.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:21 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:13 am
Too often the steps taken simply waste money. We stream multiple devices with 25Mbps. Upgrading speed is NOT the solution.

DIAGNOSIS is the answer. Figure out where the issue is before spending money. A wireless router in a basement, coupled with streaming via WiFi would be where I would focus.
Are you saying the location of the router and/or streaming by WiFI might be the issue? I really don't have the option with my setup to do it any differently without running wires/cables throughout the house which I assume I'd have to pay to do. The router is in a basement bedroom where the Verizon main wall box is. One TV is also in the basement. The other is one floor up in the family room. Withe discounts Verizon gave me, I think I'm paying $2 more per month for the speed upgrade. If the issues persist even after that, I guess then I'll try other solutions.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:34 am

A lot has to do with house construction. Ours, for example, has a lot of fieldstone, which makes WiFi difficult. We have 3 Wireless Access Points in the house where Ethernet existed; one room, without Ethernet and a weak WiFi signal, we used MoCa and an Ethernet switch to connect Roku, TV, remote control, audio receiver, etc.

I don’t know your house, but basements are often difficult.

Jags4186

Re: Verizon streaming issuesh

Post by Jags4186 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:43 am

MDfan wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:21 am
RickBoglehead wrote:

Are you saying the location of the router and/or streaming by WiFI might be the issue? I really don't have the option with my setup to do it any differently without running wires/cables throughout the house which I assume I'd have to pay to do. The router is in a basement bedroom where the Verizon main wall box is. One TV is also in the basement. The other is one floor up in the family room. Withe discounts Verizon gave me, I think I'm paying $2 more per month for the speed upgrade. If the issues persist even after that, I guess then I'll try other solutions.
The speed incease will not help. 75/75 is super fast and can handle a dozen or more streams no problem. I would buy a new high powered router and try that first. If it doesn’t work, return it. Then explore moving the router. Take your phone over to where the tv with the poor signal is and run a speed test (just google speed test and a widget will pop up to try). Then run it downstairs next to the router. I guarrantee you’re getting high latency and low speeds by the poor performing TV.

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:55 am

MDfan wrote:
I had the same issue, with the FIOS router in a corner of the basement. I've used MOCA adapters, such as the one linked below, to connect to other parts of the house. I placed one on the main level next to the TV. I connected that one to my own wireless router and disabled wireless on the FIOS router. The MOCA adapters will give you plenty of speed anywhere you have a COAX outlet. The FIOS router already uses MOCA, so you don't have to configure anything, just plug in the adapters. Upgrading the speed only affects what you are authorized, so I wouldn't pay any extra until you've determined what you are actually currently getting in various locations in your house. Grab a wireless device and a speed test app to start with and see how it works near where you are trying to stream.

Oops, forgot the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013J7NUXO/re ... UTF8&psc=1

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:07 am

Grab a wireless device and a speed test app to start with and see how it works near where you are trying to stream.
I recommend fast.com, which is “powered by Netflix.”

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 am

MDfan wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:

That's exactly what I'm saying.

You've been told how to measure WiFi strength with an app. You can easily hookup the basement TV via ethernet, and compare WiFi speed vs. ethernet speed.

Most people can buy 100' of ethernet, stick it up a wall, and plug it in. Temporarily, use air return vent on A/C system to get it to TV and connect it.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:25 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 am
Most people can buy 100' of ethernet, stick it up a wall, and plug it in. Temporarily, use air return vent on A/C system to get it to TV and connect it.
In some cases, Powerline can work in lieu of Ethernet cable. Unfortunately there is no easy way to find out short of buying PL adapters. Mesh won't work in our house because of configuration of the building and the materials so I use PL to make a leap from my router to the other end of the house where we spend most of our time. I can get ~125mbs end to end on the PL circuit. Some day I will probably pull Ethernet cable end to end but for now the PL seems to work fine. Our ISP only gives us 8mbs on a good day and we have had no issues streaming our ROKU with that.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:30 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 am
MDfan wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:

That's exactly what I'm saying.

You've been told how to measure WiFi strength with an app. You can easily hookup the basement TV via ethernet, and compare WiFi speed vs. ethernet speed.

Thanks. I'll try this before upgrading speed.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:17 am

MDfan wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:46 am
Our Verizon Fios internet speed is 75/75. I have two Samsung Smart TVs and whenever two people try to watch Netflix or Amazon at the same time, we have issues and get an insufficient bandwidth message. Doesn't seem to be an issue if it's a TV and a tablet. Is this a Verizon router/wifi issue? Or is this a Samsung TV issue? Is there something we can do to alleviate the problem (new router, wif-fi extender, etc.)? With our internet speeds, I would think we'd be able to watch Netflix on two TVs at the same time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
One trick not mentioned yet is to use a dual band router, one that supports simultaneous 2 ghz and 5 ghz networks. The 5 ghz is faster but shorter range.

You might put the 2 TV's on separate networks, one on the 2 ghz and the other on the 5, with the TV closer to the router on the 5. Or, my approach is to use the 5 ghz network for the TV and the 2 ghz for everything else.

I don't know if the Verizon router supports dual bands and can create two wifi networks, but this approach works very well with my old Airport Extreme.

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:29 pm

Although we don't routinely watch two TVs at once, we have no streaming problems with our LG 4K TV on Verizon Fios. I think our speed is 25/25. The TV does seem to have good buffering itself, but I got an improvement in "first minute" performance by removing the TV WIRED ethernet cable from our 16-Port Switch, and plugging it directly into one of the 3 empty Verizon router outlets. Not a huge surprise.

Did you buy the "newer" Verizon router that they pushed to customers who had the "old" FIOS proprietary router? I think that was about a year ago, in 2017. How many antennas does your router have and where are they? I admit that I'm "handy" , but I ran a 10' antenna (WiFi connectors needed, not RG connectors) cable up from the basement to the first floor coat closet to put one antenna closer to users. But, as I said, I never tried to run the TV on WiFi. It's always been a wired Ethernet connection.