Requesting restitution from airline for delayed recovery baggage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tenkuky

Requesting restitution from airline for delayed recovery baggage

Post by tenkuky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Recently, a relative traveled business class internationally and his checked bag was reported "delayed" on final destination and he was advised it would be delivered to the house the next day.
However, 2 days later, airline informed "lost" and to wait 5 days to submit a claim.
5 days later, claim filed.
7 days after original flight, airline states "we found your bag". Will take another 2-3 days to deliver to the house.

Under these circumstances, what sort of restitution can the passenger claim from airline? Wait for the bag and ensure all items therein?
Is there any recourse to compensation (miles or money) for this delay?
If so, email/letter/phone call to customer service or corporate?

Situation is interesting, halfway between promptly returned bag and totally lost one.

Thanks!

livesoft

Re: Requesting restitution from airline for delayed recovery baggage

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 pm

So final destination was home? Home where person had plenty of clothes and copies of all the things in the luggage? Thus, no actual loss of anything and no need to buy some things?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Final destination was home, but had to purchase some clothes/items to tide over the time without them.
Actual loss will be determined when the bag actually shows up if anything missing (inventory kept for what was packed as international flight for both customs and self-purpose) and detailed inventory for the claim so cross-check will be easy.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:58 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:55 pm
Final destination was home, but had to purchase some clothes/items to tide over the time without them.
Actual loss will be determined when the bag actually shows up if anything missing (inventory kept for what was packed as international flight for both customs and self-purpose) and detailed inventory for the claim so cross-check will be easy.
My advice - send a letter politely explaining, attach receipts and ask for specific $ and or miles

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:00 pm

bradpevans wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:58 pm
tenkuky wrote:
My advice - send a letter politely explaining, attach receipts and ask for specific $ and or miles
Thanks!
Who should be recipient of such a letter? VP Corporate something/customer service?
There must be a way to identify specific people to avoid it disappearing down a general inbox black-hole.

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:06 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:00 pm
bradpevans wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:58 pm
tenkuky wrote:
Thanks!
Who should be recipient of such a letter? VP Corporate something/customer service?
There must be a way to identify specific people to avoid it disappearing down a general inbox black-hole.
I would search their website for customer service. My suggestion is US Mail - although Delta is extremely responsive via Twitter direct messaging

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:21 pm

There are federal laws and DOT guidelines about it. There are dozens of blogs, newspaper articles, and forums about it. I'd start by using Google and then doing what the information I found via Google says to do.

When you Googled your question, what answers did you find?
Another hurdle is the time limit on filing a claim. For international flights, Mosley said passengers must file a claim for damaged luggage within seven days of the flight, and within 21 days after receiving a bag that has been delayed. For domestic flights, the time limit varies by airline but can be narrow: United asks customers to submit a written report of a delayed bag within four hours of the flight’s arrival, and most airlines give passengers just 24 hours to report damage to a bag. If you miss this deadline, chances are your claim will be denied.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:30 pm

There is a 21 day limit from arrival of delayed bag to claim "interim expenses".
There is a lot more detail on process for lost bags.
I was wondering apart from the concrete expenses for this, if the airline would be inclined if he wrote a letter as a business traveler and politely requested miles or voucher, they would be inclined to honor.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:59 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:30 pm
I was wondering apart from the concrete expenses for this, if the airline would be inclined if he wrote a letter as a business traveler and politely requested miles or voucher, they would be inclined to honor.
Bogleheads is a forum about investing so may not be the best place to ask. I would find a forum about flying, search their archives, and if I still didn't find my answer ask the experts there. FlyerTalk is widely known as the best forum for flying and has multiple threads about luggage delay, loss, and damage. They have dedicated threads for each US airline -- AA, UA, etc -- as well as other threads about other carriers. My guess is you'll find better answers over there.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:22 pm

OP:

I'd second the advice re Flyertalk. They have lots of advice to offer not only in the threads particular to the airline flown, but also in the threads for the credit card used to purchase the airline ticket.

The credit card claim would need documentation of the action/inaction/restitution by the airline.

I think it would be hard to justify the need to purchase emergency clothes while at home, but if one has time to file a claim, go for it!

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Had this happen to me multiple times. I would just call customer service and go from there. I got a damaged bag replaced for one mishap and got my kid a couple of outfits at the mall due to delayed bsg. I don't remember having to call or write letters to anyone special.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 pm

A friend of mine had a damaged bag, so right there in baggage claim they asked what could be done. The staff opened a new door and there was a room filled with empty luggage: "Take your pick!"
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 pm

Airlines deal with this all the time. He can call or just write up the facts and send it in.

If you prefer it looks like these folks will go to bat for him in return for 25% of the amount paid:
https://www.claimair.com/en/

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:59 pm

OP here, following up on the post.
The airline finally delivered the bag to my relative 11 days after his flight and he had to miss a couple of hours of work waiting for FedEx to deliver as it had to be signed for. :oops:
He has asked for restitution for the purchased items, waiting for response. They apparently did offer "miles" which he rejected.
Question: if there is a monetary offer (above reimbursement for expenses), is it taxable and generally have people received a 1099 for a compensation offer (airline or other)?

Thanks!

jminv

Post by jminv » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:56 pm

I go out shopping (as soon as possible, some bags are delayed for brief periods) whenever my bag is delayed and try to spend just under $500. I submit the receipts through the airline’s baggage site. Friend will be able to do the same but there’s a limit on how long you can wait to claim.

If the bag is damaged you can submit a claim for that too. They sometimes require you to cut an ‘x’ through the soft bags so you can’t use them again. They might ask for a receipt from purchase or price of product on amazon etc and how old the bag was. Newer better since not depreciated.
Last edited by jminv on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:02 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:48 pm
A friend of mine had a damaged bag, so right there in baggage claim they asked what could be done. The staff opened a new door and there was a room filled with empty luggage: "Take your pick!"
That happened to me a few years ago, and all the empty luggage in the store room was useless to me. It was either heavily used or very cheaply made. I refused to take any of it. I ended up getting my damaged bag repaired at my own expense because that was preferable to using one of lousy bags from the airline's store room.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:18 pm

OP here again, with a final update.
Relative said that finally the airline sent a check for the inconvenience related to the severely delayed bag.
Matter closed.