Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
sixty40
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:53 am

Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by sixty40 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Some friends and I are planning on going to this event this September. We have never been to a Grand Prix race or to Laguna Seca. Any advice on where to park, how early to get there, where to sit for a good view, can you bring in water or drinks or snacks, etc.? We just plan on doing a day trip, either Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks

russellh
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Re: Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by russellh » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:21 pm

I used to go to the indy car races there in the 90s. You can bring in water, coolers, snacks. You may have to hike from the parking lot, depending on how crowded the event is. Saturday is less crowded than Sunday, but looking at the provisional schedule online, I would say go Sunday morning and spend the whole day. I used to like to sit up on the hill above turn 2 (the Andretti hairpin) and look down on all the action. That doesn't cost any extra. I never saw the attraction of spending extra for a grandstand seat, as they are all in the sun. You can also walk around pretty much the whole track, e.g., up to the Corkscrew and watch from up there. Pay extra for paddock access (unless it is included) and you can walk around the team trailers and see the cars up close.

denovo
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by denovo » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:22 am

Make sure no one in the group is sensitive to loud noises. I saw a lot of crying infants/toddlers at one of these races that did not look happy.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

alfaspider
Posts: 1438
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:37 am

denovo wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:22 am
Make sure no one in the group is sensitive to loud noises. I saw a lot of crying infants/toddlers at one of these races that did not look happy.
The really loud cars probably won't be racing there. Laguna Seca has pretty strict noise limits for cars due to surrounding neighborhood.

zbxb006
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by zbxb006 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

Calling this a 'Grand Prix' is stretching the traditional interpretation a bit much, as this is just one round on the US IMSA sports car schedule. But if that is your thing, Laguna Seca is one of the better tracks to visit. As IMSA events are lightly attended, there shouldn't be any restrictions on parking lots or access to any of the track aside from the paddock. I would choose Blue parking lots 1 or 2, since you can walk from there to all the interesting view points, especially the corkscrew. You should also be able to move between the different parking lots if you want. Bring lots of liquid as it can be very sunny, hot, dry and dusty. Nice shade though at the corkscrew. Bring chairs or blankets to sit on. Go Sunday, early.

sixty40
Posts: 208
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by sixty40 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks all for your input.

SDLinguist
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by SDLinguist » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 pm

zbxb006 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm
Calling this a 'Grand Prix' is stretching the traditional interpretation a bit much, as this is just one round on the US IMSA sports car schedule. But if that is your thing, Laguna Seca is one of the better tracks to visit. As IMSA events are lightly attended, there shouldn't be any restrictions on parking lots or access to any of the track aside from the paddock. I would choose Blue parking lots 1 or 2, since you can walk from there to all the interesting view points, especially the corkscrew. You should also be able to move between the different parking lots if you want. Bring lots of liquid as it can be very sunny, hot, dry and dusty. Nice shade though at the corkscrew. Bring chairs or blankets to sit on. Go Sunday, early.
I was just thinking the same. It's a little different when the F1 boys show up somewhere. That's when you have a real GP.

As for Laguna Seca, the corkscrew is a must watch location. Doesn't matter what car is driving through there it's physics defying!

ArmchairArchitect
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by ArmchairArchitect » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:52 pm

SDLinguist wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 pm
zbxb006 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm
Calling this a 'Grand Prix' is stretching the traditional interpretation a bit much, as this is just one round on the US IMSA sports car schedule. But if that is your thing, Laguna Seca is one of the better tracks to visit. As IMSA events are lightly attended, there shouldn't be any restrictions on parking lots or access to any of the track aside from the paddock. I would choose Blue parking lots 1 or 2, since you can walk from there to all the interesting view points, especially the corkscrew. You should also be able to move between the different parking lots if you want. Bring lots of liquid as it can be very sunny, hot, dry and dusty. Nice shade though at the corkscrew. Bring chairs or blankets to sit on. Go Sunday, early.
I was just thinking the same. It's a little different when the F1 boys show up somewhere. That's when you have a real GP.

As for Laguna Seca, the corkscrew is a must watch location. Doesn't matter what car is driving through there it's physics defying!
F1 is boring/monotonous with the similar spec cars.

GT/Le Mans style racing is where it's at, each car is VERY different so it adds a lot of interest to the race.

SDLinguist
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm

Re: Monterey Grand Prix at Laguna Seca

Post by SDLinguist » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:20 pm

ArmchairArchitect wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:52 pm
SDLinguist wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 pm
zbxb006 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm
Calling this a 'Grand Prix' is stretching the traditional interpretation a bit much, as this is just one round on the US IMSA sports car schedule. But if that is your thing, Laguna Seca is one of the better tracks to visit. As IMSA events are lightly attended, there shouldn't be any restrictions on parking lots or access to any of the track aside from the paddock. I would choose Blue parking lots 1 or 2, since you can walk from there to all the interesting view points, especially the corkscrew. You should also be able to move between the different parking lots if you want. Bring lots of liquid as it can be very sunny, hot, dry and dusty. Nice shade though at the corkscrew. Bring chairs or blankets to sit on. Go Sunday, early.
I was just thinking the same. It's a little different when the F1 boys show up somewhere. That's when you have a real GP.

As for Laguna Seca, the corkscrew is a must watch location. Doesn't matter what car is driving through there it's physics defying!
F1 is boring/monotonous with the similar spec cars.

GT/Le Mans style racing is where it's at, each car is VERY different so it adds a lot of interest to the race.
My comment was more about calling what happens at Laguna Seca a GP vs the spectical that happens when F1 rolls into town, not so much about calling F1 more exciting vs the IMSA sports cars.

Post Reply