WSJ Article on Aging -- Scary Stuff..

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DC3509

WSJ Article on Aging -- Scary Stuff..

Post by DC3509 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:55 am

All,

The story is behind the firewall, but if you have access to it, and care about the whole aging debate, I strongly recommend reading the following story from yesterday's WSJ:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-is ... e=1&pos=18

If this doesn't shock you to get serious about eldercare planning, nothing will. It is a grim, sad state of affairs for a lot of people. Those who are able and did purchase LTC insurance are in the vast minority (LTC is not even mentioned as a viable alternative for most of these people; the last person discusses it but had to give up the premium because it was too expensive). And I say "get serious" for more than just the elderly. I have gotten very into this subject lately because of my own parents. Sometimes children should start to care about this stuff even if the parents are in a state of denial.

livesoft

Re: WSJ Article on Aging -- Scary Stuff..

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:17 am

I read the article. Perhaps the elderly and their children didn't know that this was how things have always been. It doesn't seem that anything has changed in 40 years since I worked in the eldercare field. Since we have gotten along in the past 40 years, I think we will get along in the next 40 years.

Full disclosure: Both my parents are dead. Both my spouse's parents are dead.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:18 am

For many Americans, their final years are a nightmare (my perception). Family is either states away, doesn't help much, or doesn't exist. It's not a great life even with support, at least I wouldn't think so.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:22 am

A disabled neighbor of mine is collecting on a platinum-level long-term care insurance. She has 24/7 in-home aides to help her. That does not make life pleasant for her. Life is still scary and very unpleasant for her. She has many things to worry about.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:24 am

Perhaps triceratops will post a link to the article outside the wsj firewall?
Attempted new signature...

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:24 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:17 am
Then it’s not about parents any more, it’s about YOU.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:26 am

littlebird wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:24 am
livesoft wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:17 am
Then it’s not about parents any more, it’s about YOU.
Yes indeed. The Fickle Finger of Fate is on well lubricated bearings...
Attempted new signature...

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:29 am

There are no guarantees - just possibly changing the odds - but I have moved to a healthier lifestyle -

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:29 am

End of life issues are unpleasant. In the movies, the dying person is alert right to the end surrounded by loving family while on the deathbed. The dying person says emotional good-byes and the last words are profound. Real life, in most cases, is much different than that. For one thing, caregiving is a difficult and thankless task. Seeing this in my own family, a beloved Aunt just passed away after battling cancer for about six years. She was under Hospice care and was able to pass in her own home.
A fool and his money are good for business.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:35 am

Credible things I read seem to indicate that, in the US, lifespan is still going up, BUT the age at which we still function is going down.

doneat53

Post by doneat53 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:38 am

I was able to access the article by googling the title and clicking on the link.

This is the tip of the next phase of the baby boomer iceberg. Elderly care will become huge in the next 10-20 years. IMHO part of the solution is for families to step up but when you have no children, or no living relatives it becomes a societal problem.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am

PBS Frontline had a documentary about this called "End of Life" or something like that. I watched it a few times, but it just makes me depressed. Don't take each day for granted, nor your loved ones.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:43 am

squirm wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am
PBS Frontline had a documentary about this called "End of Life" or something like that. I watched it a few times, but it just makes me depressed. Don't take each day for granted, nor your loved ones.
In some areas and parts of the world, the elderly are often much more functional in their old age. One such example is the elderly in Okinawa - Unfortunately, younger generations have adopted modern, Western lifestyle - including diet.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 am

dm200 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:43 am
squirm wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am
In some areas and parts of the world, the elderly are often much more functional in their old age. One such example is the elderly in Okinawa - Unfortunately, younger generations have adopted modern, Western lifestyle - including diet.
The point of the documentary was that machines keep people living after such events as a bad stroke. You're just now in a vegetative state, you're not going to be productive no matter which country your in, what policies are passed or what diet you lived by before the event.

Topic Author
DC3509

Post by DC3509 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:50 am

doneat53 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:38 am
I was able to access the article by googling the title and clicking on the link.

This is the tip of the next phase of the baby boomer iceberg. Elderly care will become huge in the next 10-20 years. IMHO part of the solution is for families to step up but when you have no children, or no living relatives it becomes a societal problem.
Totally agree. We just had an elderly relative die and she just went in about the best way possible; but the experience really got me thinking about my own parents, who literally had no plan whatsoever -- no wills, no medical directives, no power of attorneys, no thought as to how they would pay for long-term care if they needed it, no planning on how we can perhaps structure things now so as to improve their care later, etc. I have stepped in and I am trying to change that now, but it is a difficult, thankless, and, yes, extremely complicated task.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:56 am

https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-is ... 1532094538

That link shows the full article for me.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:07 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.
If you have a specific question, please ask directly and provide sufficient information for members to supply appropriate advice.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.