High voltage powerlines near house

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Andymoler58

High voltage powerlines near house

Post by Andymoler58 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 am

I went and looked at a house today. The owner was there too so I got to ask all the questions directly instead of going Thru the realtor.

The house was right next to large powerlines. Then, the lady mentioned that her husband passed from leukemia 4 years earlier. I ran out of there ASAP.

What’s your take Bogleheads?

retired recently

Re: High voltage powelines near house

Post by retired recently » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:33 am

We found a house that we liked a few years ago but ultimately decided not to buy it due to high-voltage power lines being located right beside of the home. From looking online there was conflicting information on the safety of these lines and it was not worth the risk as there were plenty of other homes to choose from plus the lines are not very attractive.

cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:11 am

Great question, we have always not bought right next to power lines. Quick question for everyone, how close do you think is too close? We are offering on a house that is about a block away from power lines (no longer visible) from the house. Still it’s walkable down the street to them, if you keep going in one direction. What do you think, should we scrap our offer? I’m only worried about resale, I think the cancer stuff is an urban myth.

Edit: my concern is someone would see the power lines while driving to the house, then get scared and not make an offer.

cdu7

Post by cdu7 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:21 am

cdu7 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:11 am
Great question, we have always not bought right next to power lines. Quick question for everyone, how close do you think is too close? We are offering on a house that is about a block away from power lines (no longer visible) from the house. Still it’s walkable down the street to them, if you keep going in one direction. What do you think, should we scrap our offer? I’m only worried about resale, I think the cancer stuff is an urban myth.

Edit: my concern is someone would see the power lines while driving to the house, then get scared and not make an offer.
Edit: ok just check on google maps looks like it is between .1 and .2 miles away, which should put it more than 700 feet from the lines i.e. beyond the distance you could theoretically get any meaning emf signal coming from them. Still people can be nutty about these things, still not sure how resale would be impacted.

whomever

Post by whomever » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am

From looking online there was conflicting information on the safety of these lines
Just a comment on how statistics work, because people don't seem to understand the 'conflicting information' thing.

Let's suppose we're studying something - crop yield perhaps. We form a hypothesis, for example 'crop yields are better if the farmer's name starts with a vowel'. We run this study 100 different times. About how many of those studies will find that the farmer's name starting with a vowel significantly improves crop yield, at a significance level of p=0.05? The answer is that about 5 of them will yield that false result. That is precisely what p=0.05 means.

If you look at the 100 studies in aggregate, they don't support the notion that farmer names matter at all. Saying 'Well, OK, but the results are mixed because study #43 found significance' is fundamentally misunderstanding what the stats are saying. You expect 'conflicting information' even when there is no possibility at all the hypothesis is true - and in fact you expect 5% of the studies to provide that 'conflicting information'.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:49 am

I have passed on such a house in the past. Regardless of the facts (and I think there is uncertainty there) there is a negative perception that will affect future prospective buyers.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 am

cdu7 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:21 am
cdu7 wrote:

Edit: ok just check on google maps looks like it is between .1 and .2 miles away, which should put it more than 700 feet from the lines i.e. beyond the distance you could theoretically get any meaning emf signal coming from them. Still people can be nutty about these things, still not sure how resale would be impacted.
Not sure what you mean by "any meaning emf signal", but the concern is 60 Hz magnetic fields, and they travel for very long distances. It is true that the currents are nominally balanced in the two lines, so the field drops off rapidly. But the OP says the lines are in the back yard, so I would pass.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:54 am

Power lines are not a positive, that's for sure.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:04 am

As a EE, I could go through the equations with you, but power lines seem to be like audio guys talk about "oxygen free cables". Enough on that.

Some probing questions on both sides:

Do you ever put your cell phone to your ear?

Do you live in a house surrounded by 60Hz 120V wiring, like you're in a microwave, being radiated from all sides?

Do you use a microwave?

With all that in mind, the big question is "Are potential future buyers afraid of high voltage power lines?". And to this, there are no equations. Of course they are. Even if they don't know an electric field from a baseball field, or think that flux density is something from Back to the Future, there's an aversion to living near power lines. So just like if the house was painted fluorescent green, it's something that reduces its value.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:14 am

Given the choice between a house with powerlines nearby and one without I would choose the one without.

The one with power lines is a known utility corridor and could be used to route future utilities like pipelines or other things that I’d prefer to not live next too.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 am

Andymoler58 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:37 am
I went and looked at a house today. The owner was there too so I got to ask all the questions directly instead of going Thru the realtor.

The house was right next to large powerlines. Then, the lady mentioned that her husband passed from leukemia 4 years earlier. I ran out of there ASAP.

If you live in a house surrounded by electric wires with 60Hz all around you in the walls, floors, and ceilings, then why would you be concerned about “leukemia” coming from 60Hz wires much further away than your bedroom wall? Do you use WiFi (microwave), cell phones (microwave transmitted next to your head and/or body) too? Does any street you live, work, walk along, or drive on have power lines nearby? Do you have a microwave oven in the house, or an electric toothbrush with an induction coil?

I would prefer not to live near wires because I don’t care for the aesthetics, just as I’d prefer not to live next to the rear of a supermarket, but I wouldn’t accuse them of creating leukemia.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:51 am

I don't know why I bothered to post the link to the scientific studies on the feds' cancer website, since people would clearly prefer to offer their uninformed opinions instead.

By the way, comparing cell phones to high voltage lines is like saying photons and x-rays are the same.
Last edited by mouses on Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

obafgkm

Re: High voltage power lines near house

Post by obafgkm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:52 am

Andymoler58 wrote:
Then, the lady mentioned that her husband passed from leukemia 4 years earlier. I ran out of there ASAP.

My take is that the owner should not have mentioned her husband's cause of death. It was immaterial to the house itself and she has no proof that he died from proximity to the power lines.

pandahouse

Post by pandahouse » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:55 am

I passed on a completely renovated house near power lines after seeing a significant number of people walk out of the open house as soon as they saw the power lines; that house ended up sitting on the market much longer and sold for a larger % off asking than is normal for that area. Regardless of the health risk/non risk, most buyers will cross that house off their list in my area.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am

Once looked at a house right next to power lines. Once I heard the power lines sizzling the house was a no go.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:26 am

I recall that there was a study a while back showing that people who lived near high voltage power lines did have a higher rate of cancer, but it turned out that this was a correlation rather than causation. Big power lines are unsightly causing the houses near them tend to be less expensive, and the people living in less expensive housing tend to be lower income. While power lines may not be, being poor is certainly hazardous to your health.

As others have mentioned, a good number of people will be turned off my power lines, but it's not like a giant power transmission system running through the backyard is some hidden feature so the impact of the power lines is already baked into the price of the house.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:59 am

We have a powerline 600 feet - but completely out of sight - from our home. There has been little if any relative impact on housing values. However, those homes with a full view of the power lines from their backyards - despite having an otherwise unobstructed ocean view - are very slow to sell. Many buyers from Asia experience far, far worse in their own countries so seem less picky. All buyers seem to worry about resale more than actual danger to themselves, however. Kinda like no tub in the master bathroom....
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:13 am

I looked at a house with huge power lines right behind it once. The lines and supporting structures were not something I would want to look at but the biggest problem was the wide utility easement which encroached on the property and had to be kept clear of any structures, fences, trees, etc. The easement actually ran so close to the house that it included a corner of the back patio and so basically eliminated most uses for the back yard.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:27 am

One possible advantage is that they cannot build anything under or very near the right of way.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:36 am

Absolutely would never consider owning a house anywhere close to big power lines. Run in the other direction.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:42 am

dm200 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:27 am
One possible advantage is that they cannot build anything under or very near the right of way.
We used to live near transmission lines just for that reason. I never started glowing. EMF is everywhere, there are lots of underground distribution lines too.

atlnuke

Post by atlnuke » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:43 am

cdu7 wrote:

Most people wouldn't think about it unless they could see the lines from the yard. Depends on where you live and how crazy the locals are.

That said, I had a electrical engineering professor who said he could get his very young child to vibrate certain muscles when walking near power lines by his house if the weather conditions were right. The official line is non-ionizing radiation doesn't cause cancer, but we still wear sunscreen and don't stick our heads in microwaves!

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 am

fsrph wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am
Once looked at a house right next to power lines. Once I heard the power lines sizzling the house was a no go.

Francis
The sizzling sound doesn't mean anything negative.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 am

Andymoler58 wrote:
There's reality and perception. There's science and aesthetics. There's me and there's other people.

Notwithstanding reality and science I would not buy this house to live in due to the perception and aesthetics. Now if I wanted to buy a rental and got a very good price for it that could be a different story and I'd let my business plan inform a decision. I'd expect the power lines to have more impact on the sales price than on the rent I could charge.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:50 am

I suppose, as well, it might be OK now - but something could change in the future.

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:59 am

AFAIK, no one has ever proven an association between power lines and any health problem. Might exist, probably doesn't.
But it kinda looks ugly.
And the house you buy today is going to get sold at some point in the future. People are going to be just as foolish, uninformed and superstitious on that future date as they are today, so your pool of prospective future buyers is already limited.

So I would avoid it just for the future resale value, but I wouldn't be terribly worried about a health risk from it.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:02 pm

atlnuke wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:43 am
The official line is non-ionizing radiation doesn't cause cancer, but we still wear sunscreen and don't stick our heads in microwaves!
If you stick your nose on the window of the microwave oven while it is in operation, you will feel your eyeballs vibrate. Microwaves might not cause cancer but they can definitely cook the liquid in your eyeballs. I wouldn't even consider sticking my head in one without wearing a tinfoil hat because the brain floats in brain juice and it might cook that, too.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:49 am
I have passed on such a house in the past. Regardless of the facts (and I think there is uncertainty there) there is a negative perception that will affect future prospective buyers.
Same here, if you can hear humming from the lines so can others. Even if you are fine with it, there will always be a subset of population that is not. Resale might become a pain.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:03 pm

I purchased a home with power lines behind it as well as a farm road....Never gave a thought to the power lines, but I loved having no homes behind me with that farm road there....and no chance of any building behind me! :)

dowse

Post by dowse » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:43 pm

As another poster mentioned, I think the biggest negative is the potential impact on resale value due to the irrational fears of future prospective buyers. Another potential (rational) issue is that the high voltage lines can cause interference with radio reception, especially AM radio. That's not a big deal for most people anymore. For a much smaller group, ham radio operators, proximity to power lines would be a deal-breaker due to the interference issue.

furikake

Post by furikake » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:05 pm

We once went into a new housing development neighborhood, the houses next to the power lines were discounted because people didn't want to be right next to power lines. Don't look at the US studies, they either got bought out or silenced by power companies. Look at the European research, they tell a different story than the US ones. I would not buy a house anywhere near big power lines. I don't like the view and I also can't stand the sizzling sound.

oko

Post by oko » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:30 pm

I did not really research the truthfulness of the following, but:

1-USA is the only developed country where asbestos is still not banned because of industrial pressure.
2-Lead in paint was banned in USA much later than other developed countries.

Bottom line is: Industrial interests are much more powerful in USA than any other developed countries. So it is not surprising that the power line studies are inconclusive in USA.

I am guessing that a lot of people in 1970 would just say "Is lead in paint dangerous? Oh that's B.S. We have been using it for 50 years!"

pomidoro

Post by pomidoro » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:30 pm

mouses wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:51 am

By the way, comparing cell phones to high voltage lines is like saying photons and x-rays are the same.
X-rays are nothing but high energy photons. Not really sure what's the difference between apples and red apples :mrgreen:

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm

How many years did it take before cigarettes were acknowledged as a health risk?

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:24 pm

atlnuke wrote:
The official line is non-ionizing radiation doesn't cause cancer, but we still wear sunscreen and don't stick our heads in microwaves!
You wear sunscreen to protect yourself from ionizing radiation (mostly UV light). You don't stick your head in a microwave to avoid overheating not to avoid cancer.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:46 pm

Several large studies have looked at the possible effects of ELF magnetic fields on cancer in rats and mice. These studies expose the animals to magnetic fields much stronger than what people are normally exposed to at home, with fields ranging from 2 to 5000 microtesla (µT). Most of these studies have found no increase in the risk of any type of cancer. In fact, the risk of some types of cancer was actually lower in the animals exposed to the ELF radiation. One study did show an increased risk of tumors that start in thyroid cells, called C-cells, in male rats at some exposures. This increased risk was not seen in female rats or in mice, and was not seen at the highest field strength. These inconsistencies, and the fact that these findings were not consistently seen in the other studies, make it hard for scientists to conclude that the observed increased risk of tumors is from the ELF radiation.

Other studies in mice and rats have looked specifically for increases in leukemia and lymphoma as a result of exposure to ELF radiation, but these studies have also not found a link.
https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-ca ... ation.html

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 pm

atlnuke wrote:
The UV-B and -C in sunlight is ionizing. The hazard from microwave ovens is heat. 1000 Watts of any wavelength is hazardous when concentrated in an area that size.
AAA wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm
How many years did it take before cigarettes were acknowledged as a health risk?
The link was suspected by the 30's, and compelling research started to be published on it in 40's. As I understand it, the smoking researching was a major milestone in the development of modern epidemiology.

It's now a well-established research method, and as others have posted resources detailing, the question specifically of power line hazards has been studied multiple times over the last several decades with inconsistent and generally negative cause for any level concern, much less anything even remotely approaching the level of concern smoking presents.
pomidoro wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:30 pm
X-rays are nothing but high energy photons. Not really sure what's the difference between apples and red apples
If we think of the energy contained in a photon of visible light as an apple, it's the difference between getting hit by one apple, or getting hit by 1000+ apples.
oko wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:30 pm
I did not really research the truthfulness of the following, but:

1-USA is the only developed country where asbestos is still not banned because of industrial pressure.
2-Lead in paint was banned in USA much later than other developed countries.

Bottom line is: Industrial interests are much more powerful in USA than any other developed countries. So it is not surprising that the power line studies are inconclusive in USA.
Asbestos is banned for all but very limited, non-residential purposes in the US.
Lead paint was banned in the US in 1977. It was banned in the UK in 1992. I didn't bother checking other countries.

Also, it does not follow to cite examples of industrial interests influencing regulations, even had the source you are recalling been accurate, as evidence they influence research.

CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:02 pm

mouses wrote:
I don't know why I bothered to post the link to the scientific studies on the feds' cancer website, since people would clearly prefer to offer their uninformed opinions instead.

I did appreciate that link. I have power lines withing 1/4 mile of my house (moved in about 1990) and looked for any and all evidence of carcinogenicity as a result of proximity to power lines.

Thanks for the links.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:05 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:59 am
And the house you buy today is going to get sold at some point in the future. People are going to be just as foolish, uninformed and superstitious on that future date as they are today, so your pool of prospective future buyers is already limited.

So I would avoid it just for the future resale value, but I wouldn't be terribly worried about a health risk from it.
The same market effect should mean a low purchase price for the OP, though. It's up to them to figure out how much they'd like to save compared to a similar property not near power lines, and beyond that, I wouldn't worry about the resale value plummeting in the future.
squirm wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 am
Undesired noise can be a negative. Also, be aware it is usually louder when the humidity is high, and especially when it is raining.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:10 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:05 pm
GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:59 am

The same market effect should mean a low purchase price for the OP, though. It's up to them to figure out how much they'd like to save compared to a similar property not near power lines, and beyond that, I wouldn't worry about the resale value plummeting in the future.
squirm wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 am
Undesired noise can be a negative. Also, be aware it is usually louder when the humidity is high, and especially when it is raining.
We used to live near HV lines, I wouldn't call it even moderately loud sizzle. Usually only with humid/fog, we rarely heard it when it was raining.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:28 pm

I used to own a house that was about six hundred feet from high voltage lines. I never thought much about them but it became an issue when i went to sell it. I eventually sold it but the first buyer got cold feet and backed out because of them. I paid a testing lab to measure the electromagnetic field in the house and it was negligible.

aqan

Post by aqan » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm

How about those cell towers? They can popup anywhere and probably produce a lot more EM radiation, right?

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:02 pm

aqan wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm
How about those cell towers? They can popup anywhere and probably produce a lot more EM radiation, right?
Tin foil hats do a good job of keeping it out.:) The evidence for any health effects from these types of sources is beyond sketchy. But a lot of buyers will do what the OP did and draw conclusions (owner died from leukemia. Most be caused by power lines). If you want to deal with that is up to you.

oko

Post by oko » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Lead paint was banned in the US in 1977. It was banned in the UK in 1992. I didn't bother checking other countries.
I really don't think you should look at UK as an example. UK is a small version of America.

Here's some info I found. Again, did not check the validity for correctness:

"Use of lead-based interior paints was banned in France, Belgium and Austria in 1909. Much of Europe followed suit before 1940. It took the U.S. until 1978 to make this move, even though health experts had, for decades, recognized the potentially acute — even deadly — and irreversible hazards of lead exposure."

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:32 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:02 pm
aqan wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 pm
Tin foil hats do a good job of keeping it out.:) The evidence for any health effects from these types of sources is beyond sketchy. But a lot of buyers will do what the OP did and draw conclusions (owner died from leukemia. Most be caused by power lines). If you want to deal with that is up to you.
My old house was 5 to 6 hundred feet away from a TV station tower that also had cell transmitters. Tin foil hats are great and all, but they don't hold a candle to aluminum siding and a metal roof. If I wanted to make a call on my f*&^ing cell phone I had to leave the house because signal was so low. :D

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:19 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 pm
The link was suspected by the 30's, and compelling research started to be published on it in 40's. As I understand it, the smoking researching was a major milestone in the development of modern epidemiology.
This only shows how long it took for something to be fully acknowledged as harmful.
iamlucky13 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:59 pm
Also, it does not follow to cite examples of industrial interests influencing regulations, even had the source you are recalling been accurate, as evidence they influence research.
We know that pharmaceutical companies influenced research.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:48 am

AAA wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:56 pm
"[Smoking is] "a custome lothsome to the eye, hatefull to the nose, harmefull to the braine, daungerous to the Lungs, and in the blacke stinking fume thereof, nearest resembling the horrible Stigian smoke of the pit that is bottomelesse."

King James I, 1604.

As to the power lines, I agree there is no evidence they are harmful. However, many would argue they are an eyesore and the right of way they occupy could one day be used for other less than desirable purposes. The house will be harder to sell in the future, so it makes sense to be wary of homes that back up to them.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:55 am

My house backs up to some power lines. I've never considered it an issue and based on the sales prices of my neighbors' homes, their buyers didn't consider it an issue either.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:57 am

mouses wrote:

You are making an interesting argument, since an x-ray photon has a wavelength of 0.01 to 10 nanometers, with a frequency of 3×1016 Hz to 3×1019 Hz.