iPhone to Android in 2018...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kjvmartin

iPhone to Android in 2018...

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:58 pm

A forum search shows this issue was last discussed in 2016, which is an eternity ago in the world of technology.

Two iPhone household since the iPhone Five. MacBook Pro, Apple TV in the house. Also a Chromebook. Apple's resale value has been great and getting a new phone every couple years hasn't been too bad for the budget. Other than being almost 2 years old, there is nothing wrong with our iPhone Sevens. So, it's not urgent, but I do not like waiting for my phone to think about what it's doing. It's starting to get that way. I'm willing to pay a regular, reasonable amount to maintain a snappy user interface. I use my phone extensively for my job on the road and in the office both for productivity and personal entertainment & content.

The problem is that Apple is getting too expensive for my sensibilities. My MacBook Pro has been a repeat victim of keyboard issues. There's a class action lawsuit. I'm trying to get a new-in-box replacement to re-sell. I'm finding the Chromebook Plus is more than capable for my needs. The iPhone X is $999 for the base model. Only 64gb of storage :x $199 for AppleCare. New phones are coming in September which aren't likely to be any cheaper.

I'm tempted by new Android options, particularly on Amazon (Prime Day got my attention). Or a Pixel. I am very tech savvy. My wife is not. Switching to a new interface and giving up iMessage (emphasis hers) are her two biggest fears. I'm looking at a phone with a beautiful 6" OLED screen and a very advanced camera for 1/2 the cost of an iPhone X. 50% is enough savings to woo me.

Anyone been down this road? Regrets?

squirm

Re: iPhone to Android in 2018...

Post by squirm » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:09 pm

My wife hates tech, but is fine with an Android. We have surface and surface books, they've been great. frankly i don't know why some people spend so much on phones, must be a status thing. Can't believe someone would dump a grand on a phone. Our moto phones work great.
Last edited by squirm on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

software

Post by software » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Personally, a phone is something I have learned that you often get what you pay for. Also, for better or worse, we spend a large portion of our lives on our phones these days. I am willing to pay a slight premium for something that I use that often to make it a more enjoyable experience.

I was a long time android user and I switched over to iPhone at iPhone 6S plus, which I still currently have. I can’t speak to the newer android phones, but I have no intention of switching back.

student

Post by student » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm

Why is iMessage important when you can get a reasonable plan with unlimited text messages? The only advantage that I can see is you can sync it with your mac.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:23 pm

student wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:21 pm
Why is iMessage important when you can get a reasonable plan with unlimited text messages? The only advantage that I can see is you can sync it with your mac.
iMessage allows for full quality video and photo messaging automatically between iPhone users. Pics of the kids to grandma show up quickly and without any compression or loss of quality. It also gives delivery and read confirmations and allows for animations and other neat tricks. For example, if someone send me a happy birthday text message the screen erupts in balloons and confetti.

Not to mention there is additional functionality for group messaging. You can leave a conversation, for example.
Last edited by kjvmartin on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:24 pm

iOS 12 is supposed to have improved performance over iOS 11, which is a notorious resource hog. It will be release in September, so this could give your iPhone 7 another year or two.

I'm using iOS 12 Public Beta on my 8... it's very snappy.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:39 pm

mpsz wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:24 pm
iOS 12 is supposed to have improved performance over iOS 11, which is a notorious resource hog. It will be release in September, so this could give your iPhone 7 another year or two.

My work 8 is already much snappier than my personal 7. Did 8 get even faster with the iOS 12 beta?

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Just went from Android to iPhone this year.

No discernible difference.
I should say they are slightly different in they way they navigate but both excellent operating systems. I could see myself going back to android in the future, more so to save on phone costs. (the iphone 8 is expensive!)
Last edited by knpstr on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 pm

knpstr wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 pm

I should say they are slightly different in they way they navigate but both excellent operating systems.
May I ask why you made the switch?

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:46 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 pm
knpstr wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:41 pm

I should say they are slightly different in they way they navigate but both excellent operating systems.
May I ask why you made the switch?
My LG phone broke, got stuck in shutdown/reboot cycle. Not the OS fault, some hardware overheating issue. Wife uses iPhone and said I should switch and Xfinity Mobile had promo $200 rebate on iphone 8.

Did not like it at first (iOS) but got used to it.
Last edited by knpstr on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:47 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:39 pm
mpsz wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:24 pm

My work 8 is already much snappier than my personal 7. Did 8 get even faster with the iOS 12 beta?
In my opinion, yes, it is a bit faster, but the 8 is already a very fast phone so it's hard to tell.

Most built-in Apple apps load instantly, sometimes before the loading "zoom" transition has even finished (cold start -- apps not already running in the background). We use Slack for chat at work... their app is incredibly bloated but it only takes ~1.5 seconds to load on the 8 under iOS 12.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:58 pm

My iPhone 6S has been great for almost 3 years- just spent $29 to change over the battery.

Rumor is that ios12 which is coming out this fall will make it even faster.

I can’t think of a reason to upgrade my phone, let alone completely change ecosystems (and lose iMessage, FaceTime, App Store, etc...)

atomicrc11

Post by atomicrc11 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:05 pm

My biggest concern with Android is security, specifically updates to vulnerabilities. With an iPhone, Apple sends out updates when they want/need to and are available to all users once released. Apple has sole control over updates to iOS.

Unless you have an Android Nexus from Google or some other similar phone you are out of luck. There are more hands in the pot. For example, at work I used to have an Android with Verizon service. Once an issue was identified, Google had to come up with a patch. Then after months of dawdling Verzion would have to bless the new update, package it for their phone and then release it to users.

So in this case, Apple could release a patch the next day for a new vulnerability but with a Verizon Android it could take months. I personally prefer to have updates more quickly and reliably. My employer sees it that way too and now everyone uses iPhones.

Again, there are some phones like the Nexus from Google that directly updated by Google, but the vast majority of Android phones are not.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:19 pm

If you do go to Android pay attention to what CPU the phone has. Most are Qualcomm, 600 series are mid-range, 800 series are top of the line. If you want a responsive phone get either a newer 800 series phone or very new 600. Otherwise you will have a sluggish experience. Personally, I would suggest a Pixel 2, as that is probably the best priced high end phone. For something cheaper, Motorola makes decent phones. I have a G5s Plus, and the G6 Plus (if you can get it, it isn't being sold in the US) is an upgrade on paper. The regular G6 and G6 Play are not upgrades. The G5s Plus and G6 Plus are 600 series phones. Motorola does make 800 series phones but at that price I would get the Pixel 2.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 pm

I’m not sure if you use FaceTime very much, it is a significant feature that my android toting friend wishes he had.

Blueman

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 pm

Interesting that you're slowing down. I got my iphone 6 October 26, 2014 and it's just barely noticeably slower than new, but I use it constantly at work with no frustration whatsoever. Just went to iOS 11, too. My previous android, though it was 4 years ago, slowed down to painful levels in less than 2 years. I don't care much about the features of imessage but there are issues with missing messages altogether including, and this is a good story, my wife texting me a picture of a positive pregnancy test which she thought all day that I ignored.

I know the exact date because I turned off my football game at halftime to go buy the phone and missed a historic comeback.

weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 am

blueman457 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 pm
I’m not sure if you use FaceTime very much, it is a significant feature that my android toting friend wishes he had.

Blueman
Tell your friend to try out Google Duo, it works just like FaceTime, and it works for both Android and iPhones.

mxs

Post by mxs » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:58 am

weltschmerz wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 am
blueman457 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Blueman
Tell your friend to try out Google Duo, it works just like FaceTime, and it works for both Android and iPhones.
+1
I used it from Europe on an Android to the US on an iPhone SE flawlessly. It does video with audio or audio only, and I think comes pre loaded on Android 7. They may have it on the phone already and not realize it.

Post by 123 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:16 am

We are a mixed household. Spouse and kids are iphone but I'm the Android nerd. I've always had Android (currently Moto G5 Plus) and have never had much desire for Apple. I've never lost a phone but if I lost or damaged my Android I would just go out and buy another, it was less than $200. There are a couple of ways in which the iphone is superior to android. The Apple display screen is superior to inexpensive androids and the Apple camera features are superior as well. But I really don't notice that much difference in the display and I only take a few standard snapshots with my phone, I hardly need all the excellent camera features the iphone has, I just never would use them. That said there are some advantages to the iphone universe from what I've observed. I think the Apple App Store is more well controlled than the Google Play Store but that's just a personal impression. Of course there are always "new" features that are touted with each new iphone version that have been present for a long time with most Android. While there are usually Android versions of Apple apps that work pretty much identically there are some with differences. For example, the Wall Street Journal app on iphone includes a feature to get data and quotes whereas the Android version is just news text, so some firms put their development effort first at iphone. But the Bloomberg or Yahoo Finance app will get you all the price quotes and financial news you could want.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

bpp

Post by bpp » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:29 am

I switched from Android to iPhone this year, mainly for cost reasons (some deal at the phone store made iPhone actually cheaper than the equivalent-spec Android phone -- not the usual situation, I believe.)

Good thing about iPhone over Android: regular updates! This is huge, from a security perspective. There is an Android phone that comes with regular updates, but I didn't like the specs on it. Most Android phones never update, as far as I can tell.

Bad thing about iPhone: user interface! Seriously, it is infuriating how difficult it is to do what should be simple things, like going back and editing text, or manipulating files. And there does not seem to be any good reason to make things so difficult for the user. Android is much easier to use. On the other hand, if you are coming from iPhone, you are probably already used to the user interface, so may not feel the need for the improvements that Android offers.

Other than the above, there is not much difference in functionality. I'd be tempted to go back to Android for my next phone just for the user interface, but only if they implement regular security updates by then.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:39 am

@kjvmartin, it's entirely possible that the reason your iPhone 7 appears slower is because the iPhone intentionally slows down the speed as the battery gets older. Because of a battery fiasco, Apple is offering $29 battery replacements for the rest of 2018. Official, sanctioned replacements from the Apple store.

More information here:
Doing this could breathe new life into your existing iPhone 7 and buy another year of like-new speeds.

Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon

Post by Pancakes-Eggs-Bacon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:50 am

atomicrc11 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:05 pm
My biggest concern with Android is security, specifically updates to vulnerabilities. With an iPhone, Apple sends out updates when they want/need to and are available to all users once released. Apple has sole control over updates to iOS.
This has been my biggest gripe of Google's Android OS in that they allow their updates to get blockaded by 1) vendors, then 2) carriers. It's silly.

Google really needs to switch to the Microsoft model for Windows Updates. Meaning, it doesn't matter that there are hundreds of OEMs out there or even home-built systems. As long as the user is using Windows, they get their updates directly from Microsoft. I don't need the blessing of Dell and then Comcast for my Windows updates.

It's one reason I bought a Pixel 2 in early 2018 at least until Google fixes Android to require updates go out directly to devices. At least this way I get updates instantly for 3+ years. And after that I'll switch to LineageOS (forked from Cyanogen Project) or CopperheadOS or whatever else is out. Or buy a new phone.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:08 am

Watch for buy one, get one free deals from service providers. An iPhone 8s was $799 from T-Mobile a few months ago, and we got $700 back on the second one.

mancich

Post by mancich » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:00 am

cutterinnj wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:58 pm
My iPhone 6S has been great for almost 3 years- just spent $29 to change over the battery.

Rumor is that ios12 which is coming out this fall will make it even faster.

I can’t think of a reason to upgrade my phone, let alone completely change ecosystems (and lose iMessage, FaceTime, App Store, etc...)
+1. I also have a 6s and it works perfectly. No reason to get the shiniest new phone if this one runs like new. I had a phone with the Android operating system on it several years ago. It wasn't bad, but I prefer the iPhone, and we're not a big Apple household.