Ashley furniture experience? 2000 dollars for 13x8x8 sectional

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jayk238

Ashley furniture experience? 2000 dollars for 13x8x8 sectional

Post by jayk238 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 pm

We recently bought furniture from wayfair but after delivery found it was not the color advertised and refused it. At ashleys today found sofas we liked. Have travelled all over to see furniture except used and have not been impressed. However the item we are looking at now is more expensive than we originally anticipated -saw a few sofas we liked but decided a sectional may be worth it.

The sofa is a sectional chaise, loveseat and regular sofa, 13x8 (8 feet on either end- 8 foot love seat on one end and an 7 foot chaise on the other, the longest side is 13 feet) Priced at 2000

Wondering what your experiences have been at Ashleys.
Last edited by jayk238 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skeptical

Re: Ashley furniture experience?

Post by skeptical » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:28 pm

I bought a sofa table from them earlier this year. Had to assemble it myself, but the some of the holes were too close to the edge and broke when I tried to put it together. The outside was "rustic veneer" - bad wood with a lot of shellac, what was inside seemed to be sawdust and some glue binder. Not something I would want in my house.

No problem "returning" it, they refunded my money without a problem, but refused to pick it up. I had to arrange to have it carted away by my town.

Maybe their sofas are better.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm

jayk238 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:09 pm
...... from wayfair......At ashleys today......travelled all over to see furniture...............item we are looking at now is more expensive than we originally anticipated.......
Am confused here.

Wayfair is a high end retailer, very pricey stuff. Ashley's is opposite (cheap, low quality furniture)

I really think - based on what you wrote here - you need to decide first what type furniture, not the vendor, you really want to spend $$ on.

You can buy cheap furniture that will be okay for a few years. (Ashley's particular hook for their advertised low prices is the zero APR financing they frequently offer, just who they sell the paper to later I don't know)

That's okay, serves a big market out there. One of the reasons Ashley's is biggest seller in many cities.

Or you can buy high quality furniture that will last a lifetime. Then, you are talking real $$$

btw, you probably already know, Ashleys gets a ton of bashing in online reviews. Not that necessarily means anything. People who are dissatisfied with something will complain in greater numbers than the satisfied people will sing the praises.

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:01 pm

We have some furniture from them including a sofa. It's still holding up. I'd say their furniture is between junk and ok. I like Ethan Allen.

The delivery guys said Ashley treats them like crap. I baked them halfa pizza and gave them 20 each. You should have seen how they treat the returned furniture from other customers that was in their truck... Yikes!

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:04 pm

Most of the big box furniture stores these days carry and sell only badly made Asian manufactured junk furniture. The stuff is functional and sort of inexpensive and for very light use (guest room) may be OK but for regular use it won't last. Finding high quality furniture is getting more and more difficult. It is expensive and most folks are not willing to pay the price for good quality furniture. So pretty soon all you can find is cheap junk.

If you can find a local retail outlet try Thomasville, Ethan Allen, or an Amish store, prices are high, but the quality of the furniture is very good. My guess is these places won't be around much longer.

Topic Author
jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:11 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm
jayk238 wrote:
...... from wayfair......At ashleys today......travelled all over to see furniture...............item we are looking at now is more expensive than we originally anticipated.......
Am confused here.

Wayfair is a high end retailer, very pricey stuff. Ashley's is opposite (cheap, low quality furniture)

I really think - based on what you wrote here - you need to decide first what type furniture, not the vendor, you really want to spend $$ on.

You can buy cheap furniture that will be okay for a few years. (Ashley's particular hook for their advertised low prices is the zero APR financing they frequently offer, just who they sell the paper to later I don't know)

That's okay, serves a big market out there. One of the reasons Ashley's is biggest seller in many cities.

Or you can buy high quality furniture that will last a lifetime. Then, you are talking real $$$

btw, you probably already know, Ashleys gets a ton of bashing in online reviews. Not that necessarily means anything. People who are dissatisfied with something will complain in greater numbers than the satisfied people will sing the praises.
Wayfair is definitely not high end. You might be confusing it with West Elm which while not 'high end' is certainly in the pottery barn range.

Topic Author
jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:04 pm
Most of the big box furniture stores these days carry and sell only badly made Asian manufactured junk furniture. The stuff is functional and sort of inexpensive and for very light use (guest room) may be OK but for regular use it won't last. Finding high quality furniture is getting more and more difficult. It is expensive and most folks are not willing to pay the price for good quality furniture. So pretty soon all you can find is cheap junk.

If you can find a local retail outlet try Thomasville, Ethan Allen, or an Amish store, prices are high, but the quality of the furniture is very good. My guess is these places won't be around much longer.
Agreed, but all Ashely furniture is made in USA in Wisconsin.

Topic Author
jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:12 pm

squirm wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:01 pm
We have some furniture from them including a sofa. It's still holding up. I'd say their furniture is between junk and ok. I like Ethan Allen.

The delivery guys said Ashley treats them like crap. I baked them halfa pizza and gave them 20 each. You should have seen how they treat the returned furniture from other customers that was in their truck... Yikes!
I heard they're poorly treated too.

I am hoping for good enough for 5 years?

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:18 pm

drawpoker wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:44 pm
jayk238 wrote:
Wayfair is a high end retailer, very pricey stuff.
No they are not.

I would compare Wayfair to Target or similar.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:20 pm

About a dozen years ago we bought an Ashley reclining loveseat for our MBR. It was extremely comfortable. After a few years a rivet (?) in the reclining mechanism underneath sheared off. I kept repairing it by replacing the rivet with a bolt and nut for years, but eventually the bolts would shear off as well so I would have to keep replacing them. A couple of years ago the mechanism broke to the point that I could not make it workable. The loveseat was still extremely comfortable, and I hated to see it go.

When we shopped for a replacement, nothing Ashley made was even close to the quality of that loveseat (not that it was top-notch or high priced). I can't imagine buying anything they manufacture again. But I sure do miss the comfort of that old reclining loveseat!

Topic Author
jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:20 pm
About a dozen years ago we bought an Ashley reclining loveseat for our MBR. It was extremely comfortable. After a few years a rivet (?) in the reclining mechanism underneath sheared off. I kept repairing it by replacing the rivet with a bolt and nut for years, but eventually the bolts would shear off as well so I would have to keep replacing them. A couple of years ago the mechanism broke to the point that I could not make it workable. The loveseat was still extremely comfortable, and I hated to see it go.

When we shopped for a replacement, nothing Ashley made was even close to the quality of that loveseat (not that it was top-notch or high priced). I can't imagine buying anything they manufacture again. But I sure do miss the comfort of that old reclining loveseat!
I am planning to pay 2000 for a sectional that is 13x8x7 Is this overpriced? It looks pretty comfy and sitting on it was more comfortable than the others out there.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:30 pm

jayk238 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:

I am planning to pay 2000 for a sectional that is 13x8x7 Is this overpriced? It looks pretty comfy and sitting on it was more comfortable than the others out there.
Sorry. I have no idea. I have never shopped for a sectional. Hopefully others can offer opinions.

btenny

Re: Ashley furniture experience? 2000 dollars for 13x8x8 sectional

Post by btenny » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Ashley is a terrible store. I had to do the credit card refusal dance a month ago to get a order cancelled that was messed up. It is too long and bad story to repeat here. They just do not care about product quality or the service or how they treat customers. Run run away from anything to do with them.

Good luck...

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Bought a blended leather couch and loveseat for about $800 maybe 6 or 7 years ago. They have slip covers on now because the "Durablend" is all kinds of flaking apart. Admittedly it's partly our dogs fault but all she did was sleep on it. Disappointed.

Our LaZBoy reclining sofas we got a few years ago though... those are quite possibly the most comfortable things I've ever sat on. Paid for it though. I won't be skimping again.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:41 am

I agree Ashley Furniture is very poor quality run far away from this junk. Other bad brands are rooms to go, bel, the room store, etc. Ethan allen makes good quality furniture, other good brands for couches are Hancock and Moore (pricey), Theodore Alexander is good too.

The below link is a great guide that rates different furniture brands it really help my wife and I find furniture that we love.

http://www.furnituretoyourdoor.com/blog ... re-brands/

madrad

Post by madrad » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:15 am

I bought a coach and dining room set from Ashley a while back. The couch was fairly inexpensive and had matching quality. It was comfortable for about a year but very poorly constructed. When we threw it away after 3 years the cushions had lost all of their bounce and the fabric was falling apart. On the plus side the poor build quality made it very light to move and the frame flexed so easy to get around corners.

The dining room table was fine. It seemed solidly built but was clearly veneer over particle board. We sold it after a few years as well and haven’t missed it for a minute.

shelanman

Post by shelanman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:31 am

I own a sofa that I bought about 7 years ago from Ashley. As others have told you, quality is not their focus -- cheapness is their focus.

I bought one of the sofas that was part of one of their complete living room package sets. (Basically it was like $1200 for just the sofa, or for $1100, I could have the sofa plus like 10 other items. Yes, the package was cheaper than the individual piece -- but the package doesn't support their coupons or special financing). The package contained: Sofa (2 pieces), coffee table, 2x end table, 2x table lamps, an area rug, a throw blanket, and a bunch of plastic nick-knacks to put on the table

Anyway, I still have the sofa, and it actually still looks pretty good. It's now only moderately comfortable -- the cushions lost their firmness pretty quickly. They don't look super saggy, and it's not terrible, but they felt noticeably used after only a few months. None of the parts of my package were particularly good quality.

I don't mean to give the wrong impression -- I have been relatively happy with my purchase -- but I knew I was buying budget-tier stuff. My goal was "a step above Ikea", and I felt like that was exactly what I got.

I wouldn't spend lots of money for an Ashley product, and I wouldn't buy anything there expecting real leather -- but if you go in with an understanding of what you're getting, you can get some OK stuff.

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:25 am

We just bought a new dual love seat recliner with middle sectional 2 weeks ago. We shopped all over including Ashley's, Lazy boy, etc.... but what we found was for the best quality and price was actually Macy's.
You may also want to check Costco, I saw some on sale there.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:35 am

If you want well built furniture you have to seek out American, Italian and in some cases Thailand made products. Once you see the price you may change your mind. My American made furniture lasted 35 years and was in perfect condition. Solid wood, dovetail joints. The problem was that it was so well built I held on onto over many cycles in style changes and after a while it looked so dated people thought we were the Flintstones.
I could not give it away, finally my cleaning lady got it for her mom.
Good chairs and couches can always be reupholstered.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging

HelenaJustina

Post by HelenaJustina » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:54 am

If you’re looking for “bang for your buck”, July is furniture month at Costco. They usually have a few sectionals to choose from, and you can’t beat the guarantee.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 am

Ashley furniture is lower end, comparable to Rooms to Go, better than Walmart. I would buy tables or shelving units there, but I wouldn't purchase a piece of furniture that will take heavy abuse, such as a sofa, there. You can spend a little more and move up into the Pottery Barn, West Elm, etc., class and get a much more solidly-built piece of furniture. Ashley is still "made in the USA," but I'm not sure I know what that means anymore. Does "made in the USA" mean assembled in Wisconsin using Chinese parts? I'm afraid that's what it means in this case.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 am

Avoid it as others have said as its poorly made. Bought a sofa from Ashley about 5 years ago. Although it looked ok the support springs and frame became weak after about a year and a half. It became so uncomfortable and this was not heavily used either. When we moved we decided to get rid of it , best decision ever!

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:14 am

Rupert wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:06 am
Ashley furniture is lower end, comparable to Rooms to Go, better than Walmart. I would buy tables or shelving units there, but I wouldn't purchase a piece of furniture that will take heavy abuse, such as a sofa, there. You can spend a little more and move up into the Pottery Barn, West Elm, etc., class and get a much more solidly-built piece of furniture. Ashley is still "made in the USA," but I'm not sure I know what that means anymore. Does "made in the USA" mean assembled in Wisconsin using Chinese parts? I'm afraid that's what it means in this case.
Agree with the Pottery Barn rec - bought a large sectional there several years ago and still happy with it.

five2one

Post by five2one » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:21 am

Good furniture isn't cheap.

I have a hancock & moore sofa, it was not cheap but extremely stout and will out live me.

The brands are out there but you have to do some digging.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:54 am

We have some Ashley pieces - it is ok but don’t expect it to last 15 years as other quality furniture might. It’s all how much you want to spend and how long you actually expect to keep it. You could easily spend $5k to buy a true quality sectional at that size. Do you want this sectional to still be in your house in 10 or 15 years or will it be ready for a change after 5-7 years? My wife and I have different opinions on this and let’s just say that eventually she gets her way. :happy

Seqfish

Post by Seqfish » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:13 am

Had a chair delivered from Ashley and found that one of the legs was not bolted in properly. Ashley arranged for their repairman to visit my home to repair the item. On repair day I took a day off from work to await the fellow. He never showed up. I called Ashley to find out why and they told me the poor fellow was on his way to my house when he had a car accident. I had to get onto the repair list again (got sent to the bottom) and was scheduled for 1 month later. 1 month later I took another day off from work to await the repairman. He never arrived. I phoned Ashley to find out why and after some sleuthing they told me the fellow had been on his way to my house and had a car accident. Haven't bothered with them since.

togb

Post by togb » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Furniture is tricky. It's at least half true that you get what you pay for-- but it's also easy to overpay.
I have a Flexsteel leather sofa that I thought I paid too much for more than 20 years ago, and it's held up beautifully. To this day, it's the most comfortable piece of furniture I own. The leather did fade a bit where it was exposed to sun, but I did a treatment to the leather and it looks good as new.

The last time I moved, I wasn't sure I'd be in that state for more than a year or two and bought some cheap furniture that would work for the near term. It held up better than I would have anticipated, but wow, nothing like the quality of my other pieces. I also bought some trendy/gorgeous pieces that I loved-- and they were not even real wood. I bought off looks and did not check well enough. I sitll love the looks of those pieces but I would have been better served in the long run get better quality. (ie instead of 1200 for the desk I loved but isn't even real wood, I could have gotten someone's gently used Hooker Seven Seas desk off Craigslist when they moved/remodeled).

IMO, both Wafair and Ashley are disposable short term furniture. So I would think $2000 is too much for disposable short term furniture. It's just based on how long you think you'll keep it, and whether you just happen to love that particular sectional.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:10 pm

squirm wrote:

My furniture in living room is high quality and speedy. But home is very important to me - and as I am not much of a traveler it is money well spent.

P.s. I have Ethan Allen from 30+ years ago that is going strong.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:28 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:10 pm
squirm wrote:

My furniture in living room is high quality and speedy. But home is very important to me - and as I am not much of a traveler it is money well spent.

P.s. I have Ethan Allen from 30+ years ago that is going strong.
We've have some Ethan Allen for ten years and it's held up very well. I buy the distressed look. Generally we're pretty rough with furniture too. We had Thomasville a while ago
What junk that stuff is.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:22 pm

I have found amazing quality and value from stores that sell unfinished Amish-made furniture. Many of these stores will either offer finishing services from a third party, or many of the manufacturers will offer a small variety of factory finishes. I paid around $5,000 for a bunch of furniture that would have cost me $15,000 from the well known name brand stores and probably would have been of lesser quality.

Topic Author
jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:29 pm

We decided to go the cheap route and spent 1000 on 2 sofas at another store. The sofas aren't amazing but they will do for a few years until our finances are straightened. I think at that point we will buy Century or some other high end brand that we know is excellent.

We are not impressed by west elm or crate and barrell. Too much they look like mid century modern and we were not impressed.

I found a pottery barn sofa that I really liked but I felt it was way too over priced for what they offered- I mean just what kind of wood do they use? What about the fabric? I think most of the money goes to marketing.

Personally, I plan to buy something at the highest end when its possible (century, stickley, etc) and save up for it

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:57 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:30 pm
jayk238 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:

Sorry. I have no idea. I have never shopped for a sectional. Hopefully others can offer opinions.
We bought a cloth L-shaped sectional with chase at Ashley last year(2018).

We got it the Monday following black Friday for 50% off(supposedly).

So far so good, no issues yet.

It was the 2nd biggest sectional they had.

With a coffee table we spent $2,700, I think.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:07 pm

We went with a cheap sofa from Ashley because I know the cats will scratch it up in time, just like they did with the last one.

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:34 pm

I know this is a little off topic... but we purchased a custom made sofa from www.thesofaco.com. We've loved the sofa, it's held up well, and were able to customize how we wanted it. I think, we spent around $3200, but that was because we wanted a specific type of material (they will send you material samples, if you request, prior to committing to a type of color and style. Overall, it was a good experience, and I'd highly recommend them- As a side note, we found out about them from a friend. We have a child, and wanted something that was completely toxin-free. The Sofa Company was great, in that they allowed you to choose type of filling, etc.

etherlinkage

Post by etherlinkage » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:11 am

Earlier this summer we purchased furniture for our home theater from ikea, and we love it. The build quality is good, and the prices aren’t bad. Take a look, you might be surprised. Some of their furniture even carries a 10 year warranty.
Save early, save aggressively, and stay the course.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 am

blaugranamd wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 pm
Bought a blended leather couch and loveseat for about $800 maybe 6 or 7 years ago. They have slip covers on now because the "Durablend" is all kinds of flaking apart. Admittedly it's partly our dogs fault but all she did was sleep on it. Disappointed.
How long did you get out of it before it started falling apart because 6 or 7 years sounds pretty good to me. Blended/Bonded leather is all bottom of the barrel, don't waste your money on any of it.

xrvision

Post by xrvision » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:43 am

I've actually had pretty good luck with Ashley furniture.

-Got a leather sectional sofa with electric reclining function for our media room. It's about 3 years old, works, fine, and looks great. It's not in a high traffic room though.
-Got a microfiber sofa/loveseat/coffee table combo from them in 2005. I still have it. It really looks fantastic after 13 years of heavy use. Loveseat now has a tear in the back cushion, but it's hidden so it doesn't bother me.

It all comes down to what your needs are. I have two toddlers and want to wait a few more years before I buy higher end/more expensive furniture (like Ethan Allen or even Pottery Barn). But even when that time comes, I'd actually buy this leather sectional over again as it's a good value for the $.

Have you checked out Costco furniture? I've heard that's pretty value as well (no personal experience here).

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:01 am

I'm not aware of Ashley furniture quality being better or worse than the competition. I always considered them a retailer like BestBuy. They're the dealer as far as I know. The quality will depend on the product you buy.

We get great prices versus the competition, good customer service, and a wide selection so we prefer purchasing from Ashley. We bought a 3 piece motorized reclining sectional for $3500 and a bedroom set for $2000. Delivery was included and price was comparable to the competition. We didn't have issues with the delivery. They came when promised, installed brackets to connect the sectionals so they didn't move relatively to each other, and placed the furniture exactly where we wanted.

blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:48 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:18 am
blaugranamd wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:47 pm
How long did you get out of it before it started falling apart because 6 or 7 years sounds pretty good to me. Blended/Bonded leather is all bottom of the barrel, don't waste your money on any of it.
Probably 4 or 5.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---

Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:32 pm

Timely thread. We are under contract to upgrade our home, and if/once we close we'll have a number of furniture items to buy. Looking for a sectional, dining room set, coffee table, end table, etc. This is an area where I know nothing about so I certainly appreciate the helpful tips here.

We were looking at a Catnapper sectional a few weeks ago for around $2k. I still don't know if that's a decent quality brand for that price point. Right now, though, we're not willing to pull the trigger on anything until we close on the home (that's another story).

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:42 am

If you are in the SF Bay Area, take a look at http://customsofas4less.com/

Yes, the website is cheesy, but the furniture is made in the Central Valley (Calif) and is rock-solid. Custom orders at a big box price. You choose not only your fabric but your sofa length, depth, arm style, cushion style, legs, etc.

Delivery was faster than promised, too. And you may be able to bargain for a discount roughly equal to sales tax -- or free delivery.