Best way to setup/configure Echo Spots for the kids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
newbie003

Best way to setup/configure Echo Spots for the kids

Post by newbie003 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Just bought 2 echo spots (one for each kid to put in their rooms). Probably should have just gotten dots, but whatever, it was a good prime day deal...

In any case, I just set them up/registered them under my Amazon account. I don't see any obvious way to restrict access to the devices (not sure what I'd want to restrict off-hand, but really just want the kids to be able to plan music, check the weather, ask questions...).

Should I just leave it as is, and figure there's not much harm that can come from them having full access, or should I create Amazon accounts for each of them, add them to my 'family', and then re-register the devices under their accounts? Would that still give them full access to prime music (which I pay for on my account)?

Thanks for any suggestions.

mhalley

Re: Best way to setup/configure Echo Spots for the kids

Post by mhalley » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Amazon page on parental controls
https://protectyoungeyes.com/content/am ... -controls/
. Parents will be able to apply the controls to particular Echo speakers from inside the Alexa app. They can set a bedtime, after which Alexa won’t carry out any requests. They can turn off voice purchasing and filter explicit lyrics from Amazon Music. They can approve certain skills (Alexa apps) for the device — yes, SAT Word of the Day; no, Mr. Bartender. (No transaction-associated skills, such as Uber or Domino’s, are allowed.) And while the household intercom function still works, children can’t send messages or make calls to destinations outside the home.”

ThisTimeItsDifferent

Re: Best way to setup/configure Echo Spots for the kids

Post by ThisTimeItsDifferent » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:51 pm

It would be nice if Amazon Echo free time allowed one to white list external contacts.