Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
blueman457
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by blueman457 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:23 am

All,

Q: Does anyone had consistent success for using a NAS for Time Machine Backups? What NAS are you using? Or any other lower cost options?

I currently use ARQBackup to backup to oneDrive. It's a pretty good piece of software, just not the easiest to use. I've been wanting to use Time Machine + NAS as a different method for backing up our 2 macs.

-Benefits: can do it at night during "power nap" and easy enough for my wife to figure out if I'm out of town.

I have an older Airport + attached external hard drive but Time Machine doesn't consistently back up to it and it's not officially supported by Apple. I'm not excited about buying one of their "new" Airport with a hard drive because they're phased out.

I may have to succumb to buying a combination USB-C adapter that powers the laptop + attaches an external hard drive so that it's simple to use, but I wanted to see if anyone has had consistent success with NAS.

Thanks,

Blue man

ssquared87
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:32 am

Consider a cloud backup system so you have backups located off prem. I’m extremely happy with IDrive. It runs in the background and after the initial backup I never know it’s running. For my on prep backup, I connect an external HD to the computer once or twice a month and use time machine, but I keep forgetting to connect it

n00b
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by n00b » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 am

I use a Synology NAS for Time Machine backups via AFP and it works as expected.

Freefun
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by Freefun » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:21 pm

Use synology with time machine for many years- never a problem.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

cody69
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat May 03, 2014 7:46 am

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by cody69 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:34 pm

I am using a Synology NAS, but running it in RAID mode so I'm not using it as TimeMachine backup. I have a 6TB G-Drive disk connected to the Mac that TM backs up to, and I use Carbon Copy Cloner to make image copy of the Mac and NAS on a weekly basis. I would like, as mentioned above, to backup to offsite cloud, but the cost for my situation doesn't make sense.

User avatar
tuningfork
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by tuningfork » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Since you're already using Arq to backup to the cloud (OneDrive) why not use it to also backup to a local NAS? It can do both. That's what I do. I have the local backup scheduled every hour and the cloud backup overnight. Everything happens automatically.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Mac and my NAS is actually a home-brew Linux box, but Arq should work fine on a Mac backing up to a Synology NAS or pretty much any other NAS.

blueman457
Posts: 411
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by blueman457 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:40 am

Freefun wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:21 pm
Use synology with time machine for many years- never a problem.
n00b wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 am
I use a Synology NAS for Time Machine backups via AFP and it works as expected.
Do you use the NAS over wireless or through a wired connection?
tuningfork wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Since you're already using Arq to backup to the cloud (OneDrive) why not use it to also backup to a local NAS? It can do both. That's what I do. I have the local backup scheduled every hour and the cloud backup overnight. Everything happens automatically.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Mac and my NAS is actually a home-brew Linux box, but Arq should work fine on a Mac backing up to a Synology NAS or pretty much any other NAS.
I could use Arq, but I'd like something easier to use for an immediate lost file for my wife to use. I'll definitely keep ARQ for cloud backup.

Blue Man

Freefun
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by Freefun » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 pm

blueman457 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:40 am
Freefun wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:21 pm
Use synology with time machine for many years- never a problem.
n00b wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 am
I use a Synology NAS for Time Machine backups via AFP and it works as expected.
Do you use the NAS over wireless or through a wired connection?
tuningfork wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Since you're already using Arq to backup to the cloud (OneDrive) why not use it to also backup to a local NAS? It can do both. That's what I do. I have the local backup scheduled every hour and the cloud backup overnight. Everything happens automatically.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Mac and my NAS is actually a home-brew Linux box, but Arq should work fine on a Mac backing up to a Synology NAS or pretty much any other NAS.
I could use Arq, but I'd like something easier to use for an immediate lost file for my wife to use. I'll definitely keep ARQ for cloud backup.

Blue Man
My NAS is connected with Ethernet.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Freefun
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by Freefun » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:51 pm

blueman457 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:40 am
Freefun wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:21 pm
Use synology with time machine for many years- never a problem.
n00b wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 am
I use a Synology NAS for Time Machine backups via AFP and it works as expected.
Do you use the NAS over wireless or through a wired connection?
tuningfork wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Since you're already using Arq to backup to the cloud (OneDrive) why not use it to also backup to a local NAS? It can do both. That's what I do. I have the local backup scheduled every hour and the cloud backup overnight. Everything happens automatically.

Disclaimer: I don't have a Mac and my NAS is actually a home-brew Linux box, but Arq should work fine on a Mac backing up to a Synology NAS or pretty much any other NAS.
I could use Arq, but I'd like something easier to use for an immediate lost file for my wife to use. I'll definitely keep ARQ for cloud backup.

Blue Man
My NAS is connected with Ethernet.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

BusterMcTaco
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by BusterMcTaco » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 pm

n00b wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:53 am
I use a Synology NAS for Time Machine backups via AFP and it works as expected.
Ditto.

n00b
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:36 pm

Re: Macs, Time Machine, and NAS?

Post by n00b » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:34 pm

blueman457 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:40 am

Do you use the NAS over wireless or through a wired connection?
The NAS is connected to the network via Ethernet but the computers we are backing up connect only wirelessly. When I added the NAS I also upgraded our 54mb/s wireless access point to a Ubiquiti AC Pro which does MIMO 3x3 (however I think PowerBooks are the only Apple laptops that can run at MIMO 3x3). We have a couple MacBook Airs connected at 867mb/s.

Post Reply