unripe fruit on a branch that has fallen off the tree

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mouses

unripe fruit on a branch that has fallen off the tree

Post by mouses » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:58 am

Well, this question is too late to do any good, but maybe it will be useful in the future.

A branch fell off my dwarf apricot tree and it's now disappearing down the road in a truck on its way to the dump. There were a lot of unripe apricots on it. I briefly thought of keeping either those picked or on the sections of the branch they were on to see if they would ripen, but didn't get around to it. It was a pretty big branch, hence a lot of apricots. The tree apparently missed the memo about it being dwarf.

Anyone know if fruit ripens in these circumstances? Thank you.

barnaclebob

Re: unripe fruit on a branch that has fallen off the tree

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am

it probably depends on how close it is to being ripe but I'd probably give it a shot and see what happens. I wouldn't hold my breath because I'm pretty sure most of the water and energy that goes into the fruit comes from the tree so it would need to be a pretty large branch to have any hope.

We have mini dwarfs that are supposed to be 5-6ft tall and the same spread. A dwarf or semi dwarf might be double that size. Its imperitive to prune them and prune the fruit off or it will break the branches off.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:28 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am
We have mini dwarfs that are supposed to be 5-6ft tall and the same spread. A dwarf or semi dwarf might be double that size. Its imperitive to prune them and prune the fruit off or it will break the branches off.
Now I know :(

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:54 am

We had a peach tree and part of the maintenance was to pick off small fruit before they grew too big each year, so that there was one peach for every 4 leaves or so. Otherwise, the fruit would never grow big enough to it.

Of course, the birds and the neighbors' yard guys got all the rest of the fruit as it ripened. I think in all the years we had the tree, I ate maybe 3 peaches from it.

There are plenty of books in our local library on fruit trees, so there may be books in your local library, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:45 am

My experience with peach trees some years back was that when a branch breaks, unripe fruit will not ripen, but just dry out.

Angst

Post by Angst » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:51 am

I don't know, but I would have taken the branch and put it into a bucket of water. They graft fruit trees all the time so perhaps it might have done alright in water, at least long enough perhaps to eventually ripen some fruit? Like I said, I dunno but it would have been fun to try.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Angst wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:51 am
I don't know, but I would have taken the branch and put it into a bucket of water. They graft fruit trees all the time so perhaps it might have done alright in water, at least long enough perhaps to eventually ripen some fruit? Like I said, I dunno but it would have been fun to try.
That would have been fun. I'm going to do some pruning of the other branches, so I'll try that with what I prune off. Where are milk bottles now that I need them; I can remember starting shoots in those when I was a kid.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Keep the broken end in water and the leaves damp and with decent light exposure, and I believe that the fruit will ripen at least a moderate amount.

From watching spring prunings produce leaves and flowers if I don't get around to pruning during the dormant season like you're supposed to, I'm sure there are stored nutrients in the phloem that continue to move towards the growth areas of the plant, in addition to whatever the leaves are producing.