JFK Traverlers: How to go from NJ to JFK and the opposite?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BogleMelon

JFK Traverlers: How to go from NJ to JFK and the opposite?

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:10 am

Hi,
2 adults, 3 or 4 checked bags, 2 carry-ons plus personal items (laptop, cellphones..etc) are traveling internationally (for 2 weeks) from JFK. We live in NJ (2 hours away driving).
Need your advice on the best economic way (with the least stress) to go back and forth to the airport. Here are some of my thoughts:
- Uber (if so, which service/car type fits best?)
- Private taxi company (please suggest one)
- Using our own car, and park it there somewhere for the 2 weeks (Not sure where exactly, and what would be the cost)
- Other way?

Thanks for all your suggestions.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Jags4186

Re: JFK Traverlers: How to go from NJ to JFK and the opposite?

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:24 am

Uber XL or any taxi company in the phonebook should do just fine...

Never fly out of JFK if at all possible. EWR > LGA > JFK for a Jersey traveler.

tydas

Post by tydas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:26 am

I use JFK most of the times I fly and live in Jersey, The long term parking at JFK is about $126 a week, they do offer coupons from time to time, I have paid under $100 per week. Tolls are a little high but much cheaper with Ezpass, the Verrazao is I think $12 with ezpass or $17 without, and the Outerbridge is normally $11 but you can call them and add the carpool plan which reduces the toll to $6.50 as long as you have three or more people in the car.

Lot 9 at JFK is very nice lot with direct access to the tram system.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:24 am

Why you are saying so? The reason we chose JFK is that it saved us around $500 for the 2 tickets over EWR.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 am

Hire a limo ahead of time. With all :shock: those bags, you want someone to drop you off at curbside check in.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:43 am

For a two hour drive and it sounds like 5 or more bags of various types including backpacks and purses I'd hire a sedan (mini-van) service. Airport drop offs are just about the only gig they have left. If you like the driver make arrangements for him to pick up you instead of using Uber/Lyft.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:44 am

You don't want to do the drive from Jersey to JFK - if its not the traffic that gets to you, it's the jet lag and then you have to drive back to Jersey in traffic. :annoyed
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:52 am

3 or 4 checked bags for a 2 week trip? How much variation in climate are you expecting (e.g., are you going tropical and also climbing the Alps)? Do you realize that each checked bag increases the odds that one of them will suffer a misadventure in getting to your destinations?

If this excess baggage is for a cruise, just take the early seating and wear something comfortable. You’re paying the fare. Nobody cares if you dress up like it’s a prom, unless you do, in which case, bon voyage :)

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:55 am

We used to live 10 minutes from EWR. We sometimes had flights at JFK, and used Uber/Lyft. It was fun to wave at EWR on the way. No way, no how, would I drive and park for two weeks at JFK.

FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:56 am

Where in NJ? I live in coastal Monmouth county and JFK is a pain compared to EWR but not horrible if you go through Staten Island and Brooklyn. I’ve done it before and it’s certainly better than LGA for me.

Local car service should be able to give you a quote if you call. Shop around 2 or 3 and take the best number.

tydas

Post by tydas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:58 am

I don't think the drive is all that bad, but timing is everything of course. I usually have a very early morning flights so I am on the belt parkway at 5am and it never that bad. I have been caught in some traffic on my return trip but hey, I saved some money. A car from Jersey to JFK could be over $400 round trip including any tip.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:59 am

FootballFan5548 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:56 am
Where in NJ?
Central Jersey area

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:00 am

1) Learn to pack lighter. I'm able to go for a month with a larger sized backpack. My computer fits in it. It sounds like you're bringing everything but the kitchen sink. Every place in the world has laundry service. I do it myself every 3 days, so I have 2 days worth of clothes with me, including what I'm wearing for the flight.
2) Hire an airport limo. I always do this as it reduces the stress to zero. No drama with an airport van that has to pick you up 2 hours earlier and circle all around the area picking up other people.
3) The most economical way will be the most stressful way. It can't be done unless you have a trusted friend who would be glad to drive you in.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:02 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:00 am
1) Learn to pack lighter. I'm able to go for a month with a larger sized backpack. My computer fits in it. It sounds like you're bringing everything but the kitchen sink. Every place in the world has laundry service. I do it myself every 3 days, so I have 2 days worth of clothes with me, including what I'm wearing for the flight.

Why did you assume it is my personaI even didn't mention the purpose of the trip? the trip? :shock:

arf30

Post by arf30 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 am

Your only real option is to find a cheap local limo service. With that much luggage I would have flown out of EWR even if it was more expensive - once you factor in the cost of transportation the price between Newark and JFK will be much closer.

I live 10 miles from NYC and Uber's fare estimator is showing me $120 one way to JFK in an XL and $270 one way for an SUV. It would hundreds from central NJ.

The cost effective way to reach JFK is to take the NJ transit bus or train to Penn station, then the LIRR to Jamaica station, then the JFK AirTrain to the airport, but it adds ~2 hours each way and you want to be traveling light.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:38 am

You didn’t say so, but I expect that your flight is an evening departure. Even so, why not explore the idea of driving your car to an airport hotel the day before your flight at a time that you know traffic volume is low, staying at the hotel that night, parking your car at the hotel for the duration of your trip (sometimes that’s much cheaper than airport parking and some hotels have a parking included rate), and then using the hotel’s airport shuttle to the terminal. We did this once when flying from LaGuardia, but it was a daytime flight. It worked well.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am

Do any hotels near JFK offer "park and fly"?

We did this when leaving on a 2 week trip from DC (we live in western PA). The hotel allowed us to leave the car in their parking lot for the duration of the trip, provided we stay there the night before. We took their shuttle to the airport. This approach might work better or worse depending on the timing of your flight.

Bon voyage!
cc

edit: eddot98 beat me to it :D

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:05 am

Depends on how much luggage carrying but the absolute cheapest way to reach JFK is to take NJ Transit to NY Penn Station then the E train subway to Kew Gardens station with a free transfer to the M60 bus which goes to a long term parking monorail station. Just the cost of the NJ transit train ticket plus 2.75 for the NYC subway & bus transfer. A more expensive way but quicker way, at least 30 to 45 minutes quicker is to take LIRR from NY Penn Station to Jamaica AirTrain instead of the NYC subway.

UberX/Lyft can be cost effective if number of people traveling will cost almost as much as multiple public transportation tickets. I paid approximately $65 last year for a ride from Metuchen, NJ to JFK airport which was reasonable.

A final suggestion I would give if using Uber type service if you live deep into NJ is to drive your own car to somewhere near Staten Island such as the Woodbridge/Edison area to a residential road where its fine to park long term and book the ride to start from there instead of your own home. Can PM me I know areas where people park for weeks at a time. That can be more cost effective.

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 am

arf30 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:03 am
Your only real option is to find a cheap local limo service. With that much luggage I would have flown out of EWR even if it was more expensive - once you factor in the cost of transportation the price between Newark and JFK will be much closer.

I live 10 miles from NYC and Uber's fare estimator is showing me $120 one way to JFK in an XL and $270 one way for an SUV. It would hundreds from central NJ.

The cost effective way to reach JFK is to take the NJ transit bus or train to Penn station, then the LIRR to Jamaica station, then the JFK AirTrain to the airport, but it adds ~2 hours each way and you want to be traveling light.
I disagree about it adding 2 hours each way on top of amount of time takes by private car. In fact is at most times quicker given the very unpredictable traffic on belt parkway and Staten Island I278.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:33 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 am
Jags4186 wrote:

Why you are saying so? The reason we chose JFK is that it saved us around $500 for the 2 tickets over EWR.
It costs 4x to go to JFK vs Newark from NJ. Say its a $40 Uber to EWR. It's going to be $160 to JFK. Now you're spending $240 more for transportation + an additional 2 hours travel *at least*. It's a ton of aggravation to save $260.

themesrob

Post by themesrob » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:38 am

Least stress - Uber or Lyft XL
Most economical - you could probably get a private cab company for cheaper than Uber/Lyft, but you'd be risking them not showing up on time, and I don't play that game anymore. The economical way would be a standard UberX or Lyft, and then riding with one of your bags on your lap

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:40 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:33 am
BogleMelon wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

It costs 4x to go to JFK vs Newark from NJ. Say its a $40 Uber to EWR. It's going to be $160 to JFK. Now you're spending $240 more for transportation + an additional 2 hours travel *at least*. It's a ton of aggravation to save $260.
I'm sitting right now in a office near Metropark Station NJ and checked Uber app, UberX quoted at $36 to EWR and approx $95 for JFK. With approx $60 difference for one way, the savings is actually a lot more than $260. Not to mention depending on time of day, traffic can be very minimal have reached JFK in 45 min door to door (while EWR would've been 25 min without traffic)

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 am

njdealguy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:40 am
Jags4186 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

I'm sitting right now in a office near Metropark Station NJ and checked Uber app, UberX quoted at $36 to EWR and approx $95 for JFK. With approx $60 difference for one way, the savings is actually a lot more than $260. Not to mention depending on time of day, traffic can be very minimal have reached JFK in 45 min door to door (while EWR would've been 25 min without traffic)
OP here. Because of the bags, UberX is not a good fit. UberXL is the one I think.. It is too late now to change to EWR, also the airlines going to my destination mostly doesnt operate from EWR with some exception..

arf30

Post by arf30 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:45 am

njdealguy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:12 am
I disagree about it adding 2 hours each way on top of amount of time takes by private car. In fact is at most times quicker given the very unpredictable traffic on belt parkway and Staten Island I278.
Huh? I never said that..

jackalope

Post by jackalope » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:48 am

Depending on your deal hunting abilities and access to rental car rates (corporate, costco, AAA, etc) it is possible to get a one way car rental both back and forth to the airport. Do some homework and you may be able to get a one way rental for around $60 each way. You will have to deal with finding gas for the final fill-up and tolls, but you won't have to worry about leaving your car in the long term parking lot.
Last edited by jackalope on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

njdealguy

Post by njdealguy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:49 am

BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 am
njdealguy wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

OP here. Because of the bags, UberX is not a good fit. UberXL is the one I think.. It is too late now to change to EWR, also the airlines going to my destination mostly doesnt operate from EWR with some exception..
In most cases its the exact same car that will accept your request whether use UberX or XL, besides paying a higher fare. Its random and have even received huge SUVs like Chevy Suburban after requesting a X. Can do this though, request the X first then if dont like the car type that accepted cancel it and then request XL

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:56 am

njdealguy wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:

Yes, if you want to go over at 10:50 AM on a Friday, it is only 2.5x the cost for Uber X. But the OP needs an Uber XL -- where I'm at right now shows Uber XL to EWR is $37 and Uber XL to JFK is $117. Now if you're flying a 8 or 9PM flight and need to be at JFK at 6PM, see what Uber costs departing at 4 or 5PM.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:57 am

njdealguy wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:49 am
BogleMelon wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 am
njdealguy wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:

In most cases its the exact same car that will accept your request whether use UberX or XL, besides paying a higher fare. Its random and have even received huge SUVs like Chevy Suburban after requesting a X. Can do this though, request the X first then if dont like the car type that accepted cancel it and then request XL
I believe Uber charges you $5 every time you cancel. So this is not a preferred method.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 pm

Here's what I would do. I try not to spend much money on airport transportation. Other people have different preferences.

1) Get yourself to Newark airport in a cost-effective way, taking into account all the luggage you're bringing. Preferably you'll end up at arrivals, not departures.

2) Take an inter-airport shuttle from Newark to JFK. They stow your luggage in the back and drop you off at the right terminal.

Here's one example.

Here's a search for more.

PJW

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 pm

I would take a NJ Transit train to Penn Station, transfer to the LIRR, and then transfer to the AirTrain to JFK.

However, you have a lot of luggage so some kind of car service is the best bet. You really should rethink that and take no more than one carry-on roller bag or backpack and one personal item. If you can't walk a mile with your luggage then it is too much. Leave your laptops at home unless one is needed for business and just use your cellphones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=one+bag+europe

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/ ... king-smart

Also check carry-on size for all flights you will be taking on your trip. Sometimes a regular carry-on won't fit.

pejp

Post by pejp » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:50 pm

If you do drive and park, don't do what I did a couple of years back.......i.e. book weekend vacation several months prior, drive to JFK, park, have a fun weekend in Colorado, and then realize on the late night flight home that I'd booked to fly back to LGA because it was cheaper. :oops:

jbranx

Post by jbranx » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:13 pm

My company and I always used AirBrook, based in NJ, but has Lincoln limos and also van shuttles that go from Newark to JFK. Very reliable and they will meet you at the baggage claim with a sign with your name on it. Go to this site to get an estimate of the charge:

http://www.airbrook.net/ol/

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Whatever happens, I will look forward to what the OP actually did, so I hope they report back after they get all the way home from their trip.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:26 pm
Whatever happens, I will look forward to what the OP actually did, so I hope they report back after they get all the way home from their trip.
The trip is still over one month ahead. But I promise I will come back and post what I did

Cop51

Post by Cop51 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:31 pm

Just flew JFK last month. Travelled in from Ocean County NJ. I HATE JFK. Everyone knows its the worst. Ill pay up to $150 more per ticket to avoid JFK and use Newark or Philly if possible.. I had to use JFK because it was the only direct flight to Reno NV, and was cheaper then Newark by $120, but Newark did not offer direct flight. I drove in and parked for 4 nights and paid the parking. If I was going for 2 weeks I would use a service. Limo or schedule an Uber. Good Luck. Enjoy your trip.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:09 am

Cop51 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:31 pm
I HATE JFK. Everyone knows its the worst. Ill pay up to $150 more per ticket to avoid JFK and use Newark or Philly if possible.. I had to use JFK because it was the only direct flight to Reno NV, and was cheaper then Newark by $120, but Newark did not offer direct flight.
I agree with you about JFK in general but that was obviously JetBlue and their Terminal 5 at JFK is very nice and JetBlue's airplanes and seats and employees and general operations are better than other domestic airlines unless flying first class. I especially enjoy the outdoor area on the roof at Terminal 5 as it is usually comparatively peaceful. The only improvement would be a shorter ride to the airport with no need to transfer to the AirTrain.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:55 am

pejp wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:50 pm
If you do drive and park, don't do what I did a couple of years back.......i.e. book weekend vacation several months prior, drive to JFK, park, have a fun weekend in Colorado, and then realize on the late night flight home that I'd booked to fly back to LGA because it was cheaper. :oops:
One time I had a connecting flight to Kennedy, with a brief stop in Boston, but my first flight was so late the connection was impossible so the airline automatically rebooked me onto another flight. Into LaGuardia. It's a good thing nobody was waiting to pick me up.

PJW

celia

Post by celia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am

You live in NJ and are asking those who don't live there?

We were just there and there is a shuttle bus that goes between Newark airport and JFK, if that works for you.

Also dump half that luggage. You will not need most of it. Two of us once were in Europe for 6 weeks with 2 backpacks and 2 carry-on suitcases. We were on public transportation most of the time getting around and had to carry our stuff on buses to/from where we were staying in each city. Visited the laundromat once or twice besides hand laundry. The last ten days we joined a tour group and were amazed at multiple suitcases some of the tourists brought along. One person said one suitcase was for make-up!

You also might want to consider compression bags like these. They worked great for us.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:07 pm

celia wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am
You live in NJ and are asking those who don't live there?
No, I am asking those who are frequent JFK traveler and may live in NJ as well
celia wrote:
We were just there and there is a shuttle bus that goes between Newark airport and JFK, if that works for you.
Thanks but no, this won't work.
celia wrote:
Also dump half that luggage. You will not need most of it.
Thanks for your unsolicited advice, but since you have no idea about the purpose of the trip, and since you don't know what these bags are for, so I am sorry to disappoint you, your advice is unfortunately worthless!

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:13 pm

I agree with others on the too many bags. That is your core problem here. And it will be a core problem when you arrive. and when you depart and return. Every time you move, a core problem. Time to pack. Even moving the bags from hotel room to lobby. Unless you are using bellmen and trolleys.
Erase this core problem and your whole trip will lighten up.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:17 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:07 pm
Thanks for your unsolicited advice, but since you have no idea about the purpose of the trip, and since you don't know what these bags are for, so I am sorry to disappoint you, your advice is unfortunately worthless!
If all of the stuff your are taking in your luggage is essential for some reason, at least consider a luggage delivery service. I can't recommend one in particular but even to Europe they may be less expensive than paying airline excess luggage fees if those fees apply to your luggage.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:24 pm

BogleMelon wrote:
Thanks for the new info. Depending on what the luggage contains, you might want to consider shipping the extra stuff that is not needed for your personal care each day.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:41 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:17 pm
BogleMelon wrote:
If all of the stuff your are taking in your luggage is essential for some reason, at least consider a luggage delivery service. I can't recommend one in particular but even to Europe they may be less expensive than paying airline excess luggage fees if those fees apply to your luggage.
The airline provide up 2 checked bags per passenger, so I am not going to pay any extra. I checked on of these luggage service, and it was $740 for 2 bags! This is so expensive comparing to both of us travelling with 4 bags

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi BogleMelon.

I understand many of our suggestions, including mine, turn out to be impractical under your recently more detailed circumstances, but you're likely to get more and better suggestions if you don't attack those making the suggestions you solicited.

PJW

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:55 pm
Hi BogleMelon.

I understand many of our suggestions, including mine, turn out to be impractical under your recently more detailed circumstances, but you're likely to get more and better suggestions if you don't attack those making the suggestions you solicited.

PJW
PJW,
I solicited a suggestion on how to go to the airport efficiently, and I appreciate that advice. But I apologies to everyone if I was too harsh on responding to bags advises.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm

I just assumed your bags were filled with life-saving medical supplies for relatives at your destination. I didn't think it was a big deal at all.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:07 pm

If you are close to Philadelphia you might consider catching a flight from PHL to JFK or look at providers of airport-to-airport transportation between them. I knew someone who lived near JFK who worked in Philadelphia sometimes and flying was the fastest option. The employer was paying.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:05 pm

One person mentioned it earlier but if a car service or a scheduled Uber is more than you want to pay or you want more control I would get a quote for one way car rentals. We've done this before in another part of the country and the car rental was about $60 each way including taxes and airport fees (both of which you need to watch). At the time a car service would have been about $500 each way. We've also arrived at the airport up to 6 hours early to avoid rush hour traffic. You'd still have to handle the luggage yourself but it sounds like you are generally OK with that (within reason -- you aren't wiling to schlep the bags onto three or four different trains or make an intermediate stop at EWR).