Booking Intl flight through costco --> Too early/late?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
new2bogle

Booking Intl flight through costco --> Too early/late?

Post by new2bogle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am

We will be going to Europe in November and I will be booking through costcotravel. Right now I am getting what I believe is a pretty good price, 4 months out. I think for international flights this is a good timeframe to book and I should not wait longer. Does that sound about right? (costco travel had the same price 1 and 2 months ago as well).

Also, the return flight lands in Houston (port of entry) so will need to go through customs there. The layover is about 100 minutes - does that seem reasonable to be able to catch a connecting domestic flight? I can't find any flights that have longer layovers and I figure Houston should be better than JFK or ORD (both of which have about 1hr45min layovers too) in terms of getting through customs/passport control.

Re: Booking Intl flight through costco --> Too early/late?

Post by 123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:57 pm

When I booked our last international flight I observed the rates offered on a number of sites, including the airlines directly, varied quite a bit by the day of the week of the booking. Something to think about. Of course it could work that way for some destinations and not others. So when I did the actual purchase I had to wait for the "low fare purchasse day" to come around again.

More direct to your question sometimes the further out you book often the higher the price, since you obviously want to be sure to be there. The airlines have figured that out.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:03 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am
We will be going to Europe in November and I will be booking through costcotravel. Right now I am getting what I believe is a pretty good price, 4 months out. I think for international flights this is a good timeframe to book and I should not wait longer. Does that sound about right? (costco travel had the same price 1 and 2 months ago as well).

Also, the return flight lands in Houston (port of entry) so will need to go through customs there. The layover is about 100 minutes - does that seem reasonable to be able to catch a connecting domestic flight? I can't find any flights that have longer layovers and I figure Houston should be better than JFK or ORD (both of which have about 1hr45min layovers too) in terms of getting through customs/passport control.
If you don't have Global Entry, I would suggest using the Mobile Passport app to decrease the time it takes to clear Customs.

https://mobilepassport.us/

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:16 pm

SRenaeP wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:03 pm
new2bogle wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am

If you don't have Global Entry, I would suggest using the Mobile Passport app to decrease the time it takes to clear Customs.

Thanks for the link.

ZinCO

Post by ZinCO » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:44 pm

new2bogle wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:16 pm
SRenaeP wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks for the link.
MobilePass is great. Even now, 2+ years after launch, it's so infrequently used that it is often difficult to find signage (or an open path) to the correct kiosk for the agent to scan your QR codes.

We used it Monday to get through Miami. 300+ waiting on the regular kiosks, 30+ waiting on the Global Entry kiosks, and nobody in the MobilePass line. Did have to get an agent to open one of the barriers to let us get to it though. Through in 2 minutes.

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:52 pm

I'd add to the recommendation to use Global entry to help with the immigration line. Also, keep in mind that if you have any checked luggage you will also have to claim and recheck that so baggage could be your longest pole.