[A Splendid Exchange, by William Bernstein - on sale for Kindle]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bill Bernstein

[A Splendid Exchange, by William Bernstein - on sale for Kindle]

Post by Bill Bernstein » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 am

Hi All:

I realize it's tacky for DH authors to plug their books, but I can't resist posting this for anyone who'd like to read A Splendid Exchange, my history of world trade, whose Kindle format is available through eTextbooks.com/Amazon, currently for all of $1.20:

https://www.amazon.com/Splendid-Exchang ... d+exchange

To be sure, this book has almost nothing to do with investing/finance, but for those who hqe wanted to read it but weren't willing to truck down to the library or pay $10/$22 for the Kindle/hard copy, this is a way in.

And, to the moderators, if I've overstepped bounds, feel free to zap this and accept my apologies!

Bill
Last edited by Bill Bernstein on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Splendid Exchange Kindle Sale

Post by RadAudit » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:12 am

I read it a little while ago. Interesting, informative, and enjoyable read.

IIRC, interesting nuggets on pepper, coffee, camels, etc. It's difficult to find a book nowadays that combines these and other items in an easily readable experience.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 am

Just to add a recommendation for A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World.

Though not directly related to investing and portfolio construction today, it's a very accessible history of the fundamental arguments advanced by both the defenders of free trade and its protectionist detractors. One quickly realizes that, over the centuries, the basic controversies have not changed, just the players!

Thank you for a readable, entertaining (and at times humorous) history of the subject.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 am

Bill Bernstein wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 am
Hi All:

I realize it's tacky for DH authors to plug their books, but I can't resist posting this for anyone who'd like to read A Splendid Exchange, my history of world trade, whose Kindle format is available through eTextbooks.com/Amazon, currently for all of $1.20:

https://www.amazon.com/Splendid-Exchang ... d+exchange

To be sure, this book has almost nothing to do with investing/finance, but for those who want to read it and weren't willing to pay $10/$22 for the Kindle/hard copy, this is a way in.

And, to the moderators, if I've overstepped bounds, feel free to zap this and accept my apologies!

Bill
Thank you for the mention. It looks like a good read and an excellent price!

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:35 pm

Thank you for the heads-up, Dr. Bernstein - I look forward to reading it on vacation!
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:24 pm

I bought it on the 16th. I'm looking forward to reading it.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:43 pm

Just purchased!

Make sure you use the Boglehead link to Amazon.

Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 pm

This is one of Bill’s best economic history books. I highly recommend it!

Rick Ferri
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:56 pm

Just purchased.

KlangFool

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Bill Bernstein wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:59 am
This thread has been zapped to the Personal Consumer Issues forum (any book that doesn't fit the investing or personal finance category). I also clarified the thread title.

For new investors, the OP is the book's author William Bernstein.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

siamond

Re: [A Splendid Exchange, by William Bernstein - on sale for Kindle]

Post by siamond » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 pm

Yes, yes, very nice, but... I already read it... The real question is... WHEN will we get a new book from the good Dr. Bernstein? And WHAT will it be about? :wink:

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:09 pm

Thank you for making us aware of the sale - dutifully purchased through BH link.
siamond wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 pm
Yes, yes, very nice, but... I already read it... The real question is... WHEN will we get a new book from the good Dr. Bernstein? And WHAT will it be about? :wink:
Yes, indeed. :happy

Topic Author
Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:24 am

Maybe, maybe not, a modern version of Mackay's "Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds," about 9 months from now, about half on financial manias, and the other half on End-Time mass delusions, all glued together with the relevant modern neuropsychology.

The rough draft is nearly done, from here on all depends on my nonfiction publisher, Grove/Atlantic Press.

Bill

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:35 am

It's an excellent book. We're fortunate to have Dr. Bernstein contribute here.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:44 am

I read it. I liked it.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 am

Thanks for the heads-up, Dr. Bernstein. Looking forward to this read--I've enjoyed all your books.

siamond

Post by siamond » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:19 am

Bill Bernstein wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:24 am
Maybe, maybe not, a modern version of Mackay's "Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds," about 9 months from now, about half on financial manias, and the other half on End-Time mass delusions, all glued together with the relevant modern neuropsychology.

The rough draft is nearly done, from here on all depends on my nonfiction publisher, Grove/Atlantic Press.

Bill
I wasn't hoping you'd answer that explicitly, and yet you did... Thank you, thank you, that is quite the scoop. Sounds great. :happy

Bruce

Post by Bruce » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:29 am

Bill,

I appreciate all you have done with sharing your knowledge in your books, just got this one, and look forward to reading this on my next plane trip!

Thanks for sharing the "deal"!

Also wanted to thank you for taking the time to write "If you can".

I have now shared that incredible distillation of a lifetime of investing knowledge with each of my kids, and just last month with a new college graduate engineer who was already being preyed on by life insurance sales people and "want to be" investment advisers.

Best regards,
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:26 am

Just bought it, thanks for the heads-up. Hoping that the book may resonate in particular with SO, who enjoys history (but not so much investment topics).

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Bought it, reading it on my Kindle Paperwhite. Very engaging read.

For those are enjoying Dr. Bernstein's offering of A Splendid Exchange: How Trade Shaped the World, I would very much recommend an earlier book, The Birth of Plenty: How the Prosperity of the Modern World was Created.

Dr. Berstein: Looking forward to your next book! Always a learning opportunity, no matter the subject. :sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain