How much did your braces/invisalign braces cost?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fortfun

How much did your braces/invisalign braces cost?

Post by fortfun » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 pm

I will have 2 kids in braces over the next 4 to 5 years. It looks like the cost will be around 6k each. The majority of payment will be out of pocket. Does 6k seem like a reasonable amount for treatment that will last 21 months? The cost of traditional braces and invisalign is the same, at least from the orthodontist that I just visited.

This is a follow up question from my post a few days ago.

livesoft

Re: How much did your braces/invisalign braces cost?

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Under $4K for one kid. The other kid, no braces. I think $6K is at least $2K too much. Shop around. We did.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

-buzz-

Post by -buzz- » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:25 pm

We shopped around. $4.2k for one kid and $3.2k for the other were the cash up front prices. Same treatment was 15-20% higher at another provider.

We had just switched plans and hadn't had time to build up money in the HSA, so we chose a payment plan that will end up costing $4.4k for one and $3.4k for the other but allows us to flow the payments through our HSA account.

ZapRowsdower

Post by ZapRowsdower » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:33 pm

First kid was about 6500, second kid was 6200 as they gave me a family discount. I shopped around some, and prices didn't vary all that much around here. Might be dependent on location. I will say that the orthodontist we chose has been wonderful and I'm glad I didn't shop by price alone. FWIW one was invisalign, one was traditional, no difference in price other than the second child discount.

ETA: There was a discount for paying in full up front, I believe it was 5% for the first one, and only 2-3% for the second one(they changed payment/financing options in between).

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:40 pm

From my experience, braces are one of the many things that are very hard to really understand the true cost of, and fair profit from. Many dentists recommend specific orthodontists clearly for a reason. They scratch each other's back.

As to price, those seem high.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:44 pm

I think mine was only about $2,800 back in 2009. My teeth weren't very crooked, just gapping on top and crowding on the bottom.
Last edited by Glockenspiel on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:48 pm

Two years ago I negotiated directly with the dentist a paid up front price by check of $4,000 after he quoted $4,900 for regular braces, not invisible. It seems that most people pay over time or arrange for financing, and I was able to get a signficant discount by paying in full up front by check.
Last edited by mptfan on Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maroon

Post by maroon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Damon clear braces, 18 months. Total treatment = $6,500. My cost (after dental insurance/in-network benefits) = $3,600.
I was offered an additional 5% discount to pay in full up front. This was in 2017.

Ilikesparklers

Post by Ilikesparklers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:52 pm

I had Invisalign back in 2012 for $6,800. I never had braces as a kid, and my top two front teeth were slowly overlapping. This was in Beverly Hills at a top Invisalign provider. No regrets - I would still do it again.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 pm

5K (less 10% cash discount) to a dentist who teaches other dentists how to use Invisalign. Scottsdale AZ beginning of 2008.

While I was very happy with my ortho I do think that there's a zip code premium.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:55 pm

First kid was around $4200 what we spent. Insurance may have picked up a little in addition to that.

Second kid was less than $3000 with no insurance pickup. Same provider. His are a little less complicated than first.

I was recently quoted by my dentist $7500 for me for invisiline. I have no intention of getting braces at my age. I didn't even ask for the quote. I will be leaving that dentist (for various reasons)

jminv

Post by jminv » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:08 pm

You don’t have to use an orthodontist for invisalign. I’d imagine they’re reliably the most expensive. Dentists also use the systems. Look for a dentist who offers Invisalign and who also accepts every insurance under the sun and advertises this (a good sign they want/need business).

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:16 am

About $4500 for Invisalign for DD15--she's currently at the maintenance phase. Insurance covers some--we paid upfront, but get a quarterly reimbursement check. We sprung for the Acceledent, which she uses nightly--it helps her teeth to move more quickly. It'll be about a year, start to finish. However, same kid had a palette expander when she was 7-8 (different orthodontist). We were told at the time that the expander would make her future procedures shorter and less complicated.

It's also worth noting that my DD is meticulous about her dental hygiene, and was thrilled to be able to get the Invisalign versus standard braces. The cost difference was minimal, and I feel it was a good choice.

My DS12 will need braces as well, once his adult teeth all come in. We would go the Invisalign route again, if possible, for sure.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:15 am

Keep in mind that the teeth are only half of the equation. How the jaw aligns is a critical 1st step in this process. Make certain that whichever orthodontist you select takes this into account & corrects the jaw alignment prior to changing the alignment of the teeth. Although Invisalign are not as obvious as the bracket style, even this small thickness has an effect on how the jaw aligns. I personally selected bracket braces & would do it again in a heartbeat for this reason.
Be the change

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Good information everyone! Thank you. I'm down to about 5,200 now. There's a small upfront payment discount and insurance will cover 2k. I'm not sure I'll get much lower than this in my area.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:43 pm

Invisalign was about $5,400 and only took about 9 months. At the time the ortho told said that regular braces would cost about the same amount but take about 20-22 months...

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm a dentist but not an orthodontist. Without a diagnosis, all this comparison is irrelevant. "Crowded teeth" is not a diagnosis. Orthodontic diagnoses are way more complex than most people realize and involve tooth relationships, jaw relationships, arch space, transverse discrepancies, and multiple other considerations. In growing adolescents, this also involves trying to predict future jaw growth directions which has to be compensated for. This is not simply getting a new muffler for your car. Many orthodontic movements are NOT reversible due to anchorage problems. Depending on how many issues need to be corrected, the length of treatment will vary. Longer treatment times cost more. Treatment times are an estimate since everyone's biology is different and difficult to predict. Fascinating how everyone assumes quality but only speak of price.

HRPennypacker

Post by HRPennypacker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:06 pm

$3700 in 1997 dollars.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 am

toofache32 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:53 pm
I'm a dentist but not an orthodontist. Without a diagnosis, all this comparison is irrelevant. "Crowded teeth" is not a diagnosis. Orthodontic diagnoses are way more complex than most people realize and involve tooth relationships, jaw relationships, arch space, transverse discrepancies, and multiple other considerations. In growing adolescents, this also involves trying to predict future jaw growth directions which has to be compensated for. This is not simply getting a new muffler for your car. Many orthodontic movements are NOT reversible due to anchorage problems. Depending on how many issues need to be corrected, the length of treatment will vary. Longer treatment times cost more. Treatment times are an estimate since everyone's biology is different and difficult to predict. Fascinating how everyone assumes quality but only speak of price.
Thanks toofache32. I should have mentioned that I'm only seeing licensed orthodontists that come highly recommended. All of them are recommending the same length and type of treatment. However, their prices vary greatly. Over 2k between highest and lowest. They both have the same exact description of treatment and both come highly recommended with similar certificates, etc. As far as I can tell, one must pay an enormous amount for Google Ads and search engine optimization because her clinic always comes up first. I guess the less expensive one is relying on word of mouth (no pun intended).

nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:24 am

fortfun wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:05 pm
I will have 2 kids in braces over the next 4 to 5 years. It looks like the cost will be around 6k each. The majority of payment will be out of pocket. Does 6k seem like a reasonable amount for treatment that will last 21 months? The cost of traditional braces and invisalign is the same, at least from the orthodontist that I just visited.

Often, Invisalign is actually cheaper than traditional braces. My course was very short, so I don't have a great number for you, but I can say this seems a little much. Reddit (gasp!) actually has a great Invisalign forum that can give you more information: https://www.reddit.com/r/Invisalign/

Also, consider...it's so easy to take out the Invisalign trays and leave them out or forget them. Since you're making an investment in fixing your kids' teeth, braces might actually be a lower-risk investment if you can't rely on your kids to keep the trays in for 22+ hours a day. That said, I loved Invisalign (after the first two weeks or so) and would absolutely recommend it.
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:36 am

nymeria.stark wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:24 am
fortfun wrote:

Often, Invisalign is actually cheaper than traditional braces. My course was very short, so I don't have a great number for you, but I can say this seems a little much. Reddit (gasp!) actually has a great Invisalign forum that can give you more information: https://www.reddit.com/r/Invisalign/

Also, consider...it's so easy to take out the Invisalign trays and leave them out or forget them. Since you're making an investment in fixing your kids' teeth, braces might actually be a lower-risk investment if you can't rely on your kids to keep the trays in for 22+ hours a day. That said, I loved Invisalign (after the first two weeks or so) and would absolutely recommend it.
Thanks nymeria. We've talked about that a lot. If he doesn't comply in the first 6 months, we can switch to braces for free. Hopefully, we will get a good sense of compliance during that time. I'm now down to $4,700. He has a pretty long course of treatment, so I think that's probably as low as we will get. Plus, that office is nearby our home, so that will save a lot of money in travel costs.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 am

Most people do not realize that one is truly never done with braces. You will need to wear a retainer for life unless you want your teeth to shift.

Doesnt mean you'll have summer teeth again...but they will shift. I force my retainer in once a month...not sure if it does anything but it makes me feel good. My teeth have shifted but they still look straight.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:58 am

Dentists will try to sell you invisalign as it is a huge profit for them. You can obviously negotiate the price.

I would strongly recommend only doing corrective work with an orthodontist. The initial diagnosis/setup and ongoing progress monitoring are not something dentists are qualified to do in my experience. In fact, once they have sold you the invisalign, the typical dentist could not care less what happens other than encouraging you to wear them.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Depending on the complexity of the issues that need to be resolved, you may want to consider Smile Direct or a similar service. Smile Direct is to Invisalign as Zenni Optical is to LensCrafters. You go to a SmileCenter to get the imaging done then they mail you all the appliances and are half the price of an orthodontist.

EmeraldRoth

Post by EmeraldRoth » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 pm

My son’s cost 10k but we went to a top notch orthodontist in the SF area.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:18 pm

fortfun wrote:

Maybe figure out a way to contact this kid... and see is he wants to start a business doing this and how you can help with funding for a few pair for your family?

Braces should not cost anywhere near what dentists charge...

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-college- ... ss-than-60

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:18 pm
fortfun wrote:

Maybe figure out a way to contact this kid... and see is he wants to start a business doing this and how you can help with funding for a few pair for your family?

Braces should not cost anywhere near what dentists charge...

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-college- ... ss-than-60
What should braces cost and how did you calculate this?

furikake

Post by furikake » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Invisalign $6k, Damon braces $5.6k. Insurance covers $2k each, paying upfront with check saves 5%.

z91

Post by z91 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 am

I am at tray 20 of 22. I paid 6.5k in HCOL area (IIRC Invisalign costs depend on location). About 4k was paid by insurance.

Mine was a minor case. The cost would have been the same had it been more complicated since the work is similar, just depends on the number of trays that need to be printed. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Teeth aren't fully aligned yet but they feel much better than before.

Keep in mind retainer costs which are typically lifelong..

A440

Post by A440 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:03 am

About the same price as it is for a week for a family of 4 at a Disney World value resort : $5,000 :happy .

A little less if you pay cash or have a dental "discount" (there's no such thing as dental "insurance").

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:11 am

$6500 on a payment plan
$6250 paid up front with a credit card
$6000 paid up front with cash
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:30 am

$5-6k around here.

Planning is key. What I did was jazz up my dental coverage to the top level at open enrollment time. That covered $1500. Then have half of the balance put into a FSA each year for 2 years.

newDDS

Post by newDDS » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 am

As a dentist myself, not n orthodontist, prices do vary just like anything else. I know great orthodontists on each end of the spectrum. Some newer grads trying to get more kids in the chair will have lower costs, the established practices will charge a bit more because just like any other commodity they can. Also I know of practices that charge much less but see 10x more patients/day then the guy down the street, and in situations like that the dr will spend significantly less time working with the pts directly. Without any insurance benefits around 6k is average where I practice. Classmates of mine in rural and lower cost of living areas see ortho less than 3k.

In the long run find someone you trust and go with them, in my opinion there are things you can try to nickel and dime but forever altering the look and health of your child may not be the best option. In my opinion invislaign is a good option for some, but traditional braces is still the best option for kids.

Just my two cents :sharebeer