Suggestions For Re-attaching a Closet Handle

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SVariance1

Suggestions For Re-attaching a Closet Handle

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 am

I was wondering if anyone could provide suggestions regarding re-attaching a closet handle? I have done some Googling but have not been able to get help for my specific situation. Here are a couple of photos ( I hope people can see them). Thank you.

[img]http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/subwa ... ary/Handle [img]
Mike

pshonore

Re: Suggestions For Re-attaching a Closet Handle

Post by pshonore » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 am

Whats on the back side of the door? What holds it closed? In the old days, there would be an identical handle on the inside of the door (which is really not necessary for a closet unless someone winds up in the closet with a closed door; even then there should be a release mechanism). Its hard to tell what went wrong; did the screws let go?

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 am

Based on the photos it appears that there is no latch mechanism involved, so there probably isn't another handle on the inside and the screws holding the handle on have probably stripped out.

I would expect that the door is solid in the area of the screw holes (vs. hollow, like the rest of the door). If that's the case you can try the quick and dirty repair. Take two or three wooden matchsticks, insert them into the holes and break them off flush with the holes. Then try reinstalling the handle. Often that will fill up the holes enough for the screws to bite and hold.

A better way would be to buy a dowel of the proper diameter to completely fill the holes. Cut the dowel to the appropriate lengths, slather with glue, then stick into the holes. When the glue is dry drill new pilot holes of the appropriate size for the handle screws and reinstall.

If the door is hollow in the area of the handle we'll have to go to Plan B. :P

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am

Chip wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:11 am
Based on the photos it appears that there is no latch mechanism involved, so there probably isn't another handle on the inside and the screws holding the handle on have probably stripped out.

I would expect that the door is solid in the area of the screw holes (vs. hollow, like the rest of the door). If that's the case you can try the quick and dirty repair. Take two or three wooden matchsticks, insert them into the holes and break them off flush with the holes. Then try reinstalling the handle. Often that will fill up the holes enough for the screws to bite and hold.

A better way would be to buy a dowel of the proper diameter to completely fill the holes. Cut the dowel to the appropriate lengths, slather with glue, then stick into the holes. When the glue is dry drill new pilot holes of the appropriate size for the handle screws and reinstall.

If the door is hollow in the area of the handle we'll have to go to Plan B. :P
It is a hollow door and there is nothing on the other side of the door. The sister handle on the other door looks like it has some kind of mechanism on the inside to perhaps screw into.
Mike

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 am

If you don't care what it looks like on the inside, you can cut (or have cut) a small piece of wood to attach to the inside which would give you something to screw into. You'll, of course, need longer screws.

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am
It is a hollow door and there is nothing on the other side of the door. The sister handle on the other door looks like it has some kind of mechanism on the inside to perhaps screw into.
Is it hollow right where the handle is mounted? That would be very unusual as hollow doors are usually solid in that area.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:24 am

Chip wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:21 am
SVariance1 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:17 am
Is it hollow right where the handle is mounted? That would be very unusual as hollow doors are usually solid in that area.
It is hollow in that area.
Mike

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:25 am

Rupert wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:20 am
If you don't care what it looks like on the inside, you can cut (or have cut) a small piece of wood to attach to the inside which would give you something to screw into. You'll, of course, need longer screws.
That is a good idea
Mike

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am

Another option that works in many case. Like many of the previous suggestions to fill the hole. Try using a wooden golf tee. It is tapered and can be tapped in and either snip or cut off.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:38 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am
Another option that works in many case. Like many of the previous suggestions to fill the hole. Try using a wooden golf tee. It is tapered and can be tapped in and either snip or cut off.
Interesting. Would I then put screws into the golf tees?
Mike

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am

I'm confused about what's going on. You have another door with this type of handle, and that one has something on the inside that the handle attaches to, but this one does not? So you are missing a piece?

You can just fill in with wood putty and buy a regular doorknob (no lock mechanism), use a hole saw, etc. and install that.
Last edited by mouses on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Phronesis

Post by Phronesis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am

Depending on what the inside of the door looks like and your aesthetics, the least complicated and most secure fix is to get a couple bolts that extend past the door a 1/2", a couple 1/2" diameter or so washers, and a couple nuts for the bolts. That should hold it.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 am

mouses wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am
I'm confused about what's going on. You have another door with this type of handle, and that one has something on the inside that the handle attaches to, but this one does not? So you are missing a piece?
Possibly but it might have been missing for years.
Mike

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:44 am

SVariance1 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:42 am
mouses wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:40 am
Possibly but it might have been missing for years.
So there's nothing that holds these doors closed? No latch? I would replace both with actual doorknob mechanisms.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:46 am

The weird thing is that if you look at the inside of the door, there is a hole that looks like it should align with the center of the handle but There is no hole in the center of the handle. It might just mean that a part fell or broke off.
Mike

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:48 am

Since the door is hollow I like Phronesis's suggestion. You should buy large washers with a hole the size of the bolt (sometimes called a fender washer) in order to spread the force over as large an area of the door as possible. Don't overtighten.

The golf tee idea that was mentioned isn't going to work if the door is hollow where the mounting holes are.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:54 am

Phronesis wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am
Depending on what the inside of the door looks like and your aesthetics, the least complicated and most secure fix is to get a couple bolts that extend past the door a 1/2", a couple 1/2" diameter or so washers, and a couple nuts for the bolts. That should hold it.
I think that I could even do that. Two screws/bolts attached through the door by a washer and a nut.
Mike

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm

When have some time, I will bring the handle to Home Depot get some help with screws/bolts, washers and nuts. Thank you for the help
Last edited by SVariance1 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:42 pm

With a similar situation I used a couple of layers of posterboard and a large washer.

Chip

Post by Chip » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:28 pm

SVariance1 wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:38 pm
When have some time, I will bring the handle to home depot get some help with screws/bolts. washers and nuts. Thank you for the help
While you're there, take a look in the area where they have door latch sets. There may be a "dummy" escutcheon plate that could serve as your "washers" on the inside of the door. It might even come with the screws you need.

Pinotage

Post by Pinotage » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:07 pm

It kind of looks like an anchor plate/set screw combination - sort of like what would attach a towel rack or toilet paper roll holder to a bathroom wall. Two screws attach a plate to the surface, and then a perimeter set screw attached the handle to the plate? Or, does the attachment hardware go through the face of the handle into the door?

In either case, agree that securing to the back with some washers or a decorative plate will likely be a simple and efficient fix.

The center hole in the door is probably left from a time when another style of knob or handle was attached. Single screw through the door with a threaded knob on the outside.

SVariance1

Post by SVariance1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Phronesis wrote:
That method worked great. I picked up a couple of bolts with nuts. (The washers did not come with it.) I initially had to poke a couple of holes through the other side of the door and then I used the bolts with the nuts. Thank you.
Mike

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Sorry, but what is confusing me is an exact statement of what the problem is.
I understand that the handle is off of the door; but I don't understand how the door handle and closing mechanism of your door is supposed to work. Some closet doors don't have a handle that moves up and down or rotates in any way. Instead of a latch (the part that goes in and out of the door when you turn the doorknob) and a strike plate with a rectangular hole for the latch to go into, they may just have a non moving bump where the latch would be, and a different kind of strike plate so the bump gets stuck on it when you close the door; then to open the door you just pull. No turning of the doorknob or door handle at all.
Is that the kind of mechanism your closet has?

Assuming that's what it is:
What parts are you missing? You have the handle. Do you have the part that fits onto the back of the door? (If I understood one of your comments, that is also what you're missing). Do you have any of the original screws?

For example, it may be that there is a metal disc that would be on the opposite side of the handle, and the screws go from that disc to the handle; ie threads engage not in wood but in metal. If that's what it is, you have to get machine screws (blunt on the tip, not pointed) that are the right length, the right diameter, and the right thread pitch (how many threads per inch) in order to fit into the metal. Also, the threaded metal bit has to be not stripped. You'll need to know the exact thickness of the door when you get screws.
I think from your picture that there should be a set screw (very small Allen wrench unless it is very old) probably on the bottom that allows the handle and outer ring to be removed from an inner ring. The screws probably then go through that inner ring and into the metal part on the other side of the door.
If you have to find a replacement for the metal part that you screw into on the inside of the door, it might be simpler to get a replacement door handle. For example here is a page showing some "passage door" handles: https://www.kwikset.com/products/functi ... loset.aspx

If it is a classic antique and you want to keep the same one, I've had good luck matching such things at the "House of Antique Hardware" which I found online. If you call, they have knowledgeable people to help solve problems.

If the handle just screws to the wood of the door then you may need some bits of wood to jam into the holes so the screws will fit tightly, like others above including Chip have said. I've done this a lot, and although some say to add wood glue, you don't really have to if you get the right wood to jam in there for a good interference fit. Wood putty might work too, but I think real wood is better. What wood? Well, in general, the hardness of wood should be similar to the rest of the surrounding wood. Not real brittle wood. Not tiny slivers. If the door is hollow there, that might not work well. But this is a moot point if you have to screw into a metal piece on the opposite side of the door.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Phronesis

Post by Phronesis » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:51 pm

SVariance1 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:52 pm
Phronesis wrote:
That method worked great. I picked up a couple of bolts with nuts. (The washers did not come with it.) I initially had to poke a couple of holes through the other side of the door and then I used the bolts with the nuts. Thank you.
Glad to hear it! I spent almost two years renovating a 3400 sq. ft. house, so I learned a few tricks. Mostly smoke and mirrors, but still...